Returning to Necro, Completely Lost

in Necromancer

Posted by: Barachias.2371

Barachias.2371

I’m just getting back into GW2 after a few years. I never really got that far into it because I always had fun just simply exploring, and friends wanted to play other games so I never really had time to play. I’m coming back and the game looks completely different, and it also seems a lot more complex than it was at release.

Necro and Mesmer are the classes I’ve enjoyed the most but necromancer has felt more my style since I’ve played one.

Can someone give me a helpful push in the right direction when it comes to getting started and what some basic builds look like? What are some traps newbies fall into and is there anything that could be wasted time about the class? Like I said I’m just now getting into the game for real and I’m just at a complete loss man.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

First, I assume you are going for pve parts of the game, if not, then which other parts?
Second, do you have the Heart of Thorns expansion?

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in Necromancer

Barachias.2371

First, I assume you are going for pve parts of the game, if not, then which other parts?
Second, do you have the Heart of Thorns expansion?

I wanna be able to do most anything but I’m gonna lean a lot more towards WvW

I do not currently have HoT but I’ll be buying it in a months time once I get back into the game

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rapier.3675

Rapier.3675

atm HoT is almost a must cos of reaper trait. u can hardly see any vanila necro in wvw.

in Necromancer

Barachias.2371

atm HoT is almost a must cos of reaper trait. u can hardly see any vanila necro in wvw.

I’m on the level of a newbie, I’m not going to be at the point I can make use of the expansion and understand what’s going on. Meanwhile, I want a good understanding of my profession and what to do with it as I get used to the game. Ill be grabbing the expansion soon though, so for simplicity’s sake give me advice as if I had it? ;3;

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

If you wanna do WvW you can do it as a vanilla necro using the old PowerWell build in Berserker/Valkyrie spamming wells and shroud auto attack. That’s a pure zerg build, unable to do anything good outside of it, but it’s still good.
Reaper have a lot of really good traits and skills, with the new Reaper Shroud that fix a lot of the core shroud problems (still if not all).

If you buy the expansion you become able to be useful in PvE and sPvP, with different better builds for WvW (expecially if you like condition damage).

Anyway, atm, the necro isn’t really good in both PvE or sPvP. In PvE have a lot of problems because don’t grant any real support unless steal conditions from your allies in a passive way with the signet and redirect it on the enemy in some fractals or raids, with few boon corruption in some raids. In a common PvE there’s no reason to chose a necromancer instead of any other class (it’s sad to say but it’s true).
in sPvP the necromancer role is hard to play because you have a class with defensive skills that can only reduce the incoming attack and can’t block it or be immune to it, and our damage is not the best for shure. Play mainly condition or power if you want a little more survavibility, the necro role is only one: corrupt the enemy stability and might to reduce his strength and eventually protection to make the enemy easier to kill. In the past seasons it was good because a lot of classes used boons to survive and corrupt then into conditions was a great thing, but now every class (outside the necro) rely more on Immunity skills and Block/Evade to survive, then the necromancer role in some fights can be “useless”. But with a lot of experience you will do good things anyway.

Outside of all that, the necromancer is the best class ever, you can do tons of builds, you can use both condition and power, you can use minions, boon corruption, AoE using wells, use vampiric traits for a great survavibility in PvE and more. Also is really funny and cool to play.
If you want to enjoy your character and play for fun the necromancer is perfect for you

in Necromancer

Posted by: miguelsil.6324

miguelsil.6324

Well if you want to zerg around i cant really help you because i dont like it but regarding smallscale roaming here watch one of my gameplays and see what you think.

https://youtu.be/2mj20SB3p7U

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rapier.3675

Rapier.3675

well smth like this for WvW as vanila power necro: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Necromancer_-_Wells_Backline
imo use foot in the grave in soul reaping since we lost plague the only skill with insta stab on necro without goin to shroud. so ull need it.
plague as i mentioned above is changed, more like killed for wvw usage. now is called plaguelands which acts like a well on ur position. it sux balls tho.
Axe got power buff which makes it pretty strong as range especially ghastly claws.
Atm meta build for necro WvW is viper conndi build. since reaper trait and new stats on HoT are realy strong.

For PvE dagger/focus and axe/x with sigils of force/bloodlust/strength . full zerker with scholar.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQRBIhdu1IDN0Sj10gjNwejjahCmABwMMXipYLojxcUtA-T1RBABmpEkS1fua/R5He6Ho4EAAwTAYhDCApA0TZE-w

with reaper u can upkeep full stacks of vuln and might.