Review Build : Debuff Necromancer

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fRAQNAndWjc0UebxN22whbCchS6f4F2XIfzAgytINA-TZRBABbcEA64UAg0+DgXGAgHAAA

Hello my fellow Necromancers today I ask for your opinions! I’ve been playing around with the idea of a bunker build thats main focus is to strip boons and cause constant soft CC and decent damage basically a roamer/fighter role. The link posted above is currently a work in progress and i’d like to hear any ideas anyone has on how to improve the build. A few changes that I’m playing around with are changing Great Mark for either Death Shiver for more damage (feels like the build needs a bit more damage in 1v1 situations the build is mainly a bunkerish build focused on staying in middle of a fight and with Death Shiver the build would be a bit more effective in team fights) or Dark Armor (DS skills use channeling and I’m thinking it would go great with DS #4 and #1). I’d really appreciate some feedback.

Necromancer Main

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Why not take curses 13 trait? Going 2/6/0/0/6 (or even 4/6/0/0/4) is surprisingly not that bad for power builds. Something like a spectral+boonstrip build. But i guess you like the 6 points in Deathmagic…

And i dont think runes of undead are good runes if you dont go conditionheavy even if you have alot of toughness.

(edited by Muchacho.2390)

in Necromancer

Zoso.8279

Why not take curses 13 trait? Going 2/6/0/0/6 (or even 4/6/0/0/4) is surprisingly not that bad for power builds. Something like a spectral+boonstrip build. But i guess you like the 6 points in Deathmagic…

And i dont think runes of undead are good runes if you dont go conditionheavy even if you have alot of toughness.

I like the idea of a ghost who steals all your boons lol I’m going to play around with it a bit.

Necromancer Main

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

2/6/0/0/6 4/4/0/0/6 and 4/6/0/0/4 are all better options.

Screw the undead runes use pack runes. kitten the Knights amulet you lose damage and aren’t even really much tankier than a zerker amulet. The sigils are also a little strange. Also I get you are looking for boon removal, but axe just sucks besides 3. And focus is ok for burst damage but your build isn’t doing any of that…. overall the build doesn’t synergize well.

You keep trying to make pvp attrition builds, but we just plain suck at that. I get that you are probably newer to pvp so you are uncomfortable using zerk amulet but it’s really our only option in pvp besides condi.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in Necromancer

NeXeD.3042

I am not saying that I would use this build but it would remove alot of boons. And I think this would be better than your build at what you are looking to do.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fRAQNAodWjc0UebxN22whbCchCyBIAi+DKh8ly2IMA-TpBFwACOBA12fo9hAYxRAoaZAAPAAA

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

A lot of poeple have tried and came up woth similiar things. The team roles differed but everyonr took curses new gm trait in such a build.

Zerker, soldier, kngihts, celestial
26006 , 46004 , 66002
Traveler , pack or hoe/strenght power runes
Spectrals and corrupt boon

Pick your flavor.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

If you want more toughness in your build you can also try something like that http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fRAQNAodWjc0UebxN22webichCqAI6PYEuXqXjvoZB-TZBBwAkLDA4UAUc/hNHBAIPAAA

Yeah, valkyries amulet may not the best for necros but i think with deathly perception and 6 points in curses it can be used for fun without sucking too hard since you have out of DS still 31% critchance and in DS 100% atleast for the first five seconds then 81%.

But i guess it is not boon removel heavy anymore so, you may not find it that interesting.

in Necromancer

NeXeD.3042

For pvp I think vitality is more vital wouldn’t recommend valkyrie amulet

in Necromancer

Zoso.8279

Hey thank you all for the ideas and suggestions I really appreciate it. Im thinking of playing with 4/6/0/0/4 ill let you all know how it goes. Again, thanks!

Edit-

@NeXeD yeah bro I try to make attrition builds :P Idk I just like the style of play where your an immovable force lol. Slowly bringing your enemy to death but I’m seeing that is a bit tough to do even when we have DS. I’ve been playing around with guardians to see if I can find a nice balanced build but am a bit more focused on getting my Necromancer to the point where I’m happy. MM did that for me but its just too slow compared to all other builds and also the minion pathfinding bug is really hard to get over. I’ve had matches where I am dominating and lose because my minions stayed in point A while I ran to point C lol kinda hard to play through that bug.

Necromancer Main

(edited by Zoso.8279)

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

For pvp I think vitality is more vital wouldn’t recommend valkyrie amulet

Well i did say valkyrie is not optimal for necromancers but not because of the lack of vitality but because healing power is not a good stat for necromancers. I was just saying that with such a build valkyries amulet can be used without sucking too hard and you know there are people, like me, who prefer toughness over vitality.

But i guess this will boil down to the old vitality vs. toughness debate, which is as old as the bloodmagic debate, lol…

in Necromancer

NeXeD.3042

Even if Vitality=Toughness

Toughness+healingpower < precision+vitality

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Even if Vitality=Toughness

Toughness+healingpower < precision+vitality

Probably true but if you go into curses and use zerker+ deathly preception, alot of you precision becomes useless in DS because of the 100% hardcap. And since you use spectrals you will be a good amount of time in DS…

But in the end all those builds are not really meta builds and more fun builds so whatever…

in Necromancer

NeXeD.3042

It’s not really useless since you are pretty much going to crit all the time and I don’t go into trait lines for the stats. It’s purely for the traits.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

It’s not really useless since you are pretty much going to crit all the time and I don’t go into trait lines for the stats. It’s purely for the traits.

I also dont go into traitlines for stats but in the end you should factor them in, and if you have already 100% critchance in DS every additional precision point is indeed useless in DS.

But hey if you want that high critchance out of DS and dont care about the roughly 25% useless critchance in DS you can do it.

in Necromancer

Zoso.8279

Well I’ve been playing 4/6/0/0/4 with Berserker Amulet and Rune of Strength. Weapons axe/focus with staff. Axe has sigil of acc and staff frailty both have sigil of strength.

Spite – VI/VIII
Curse – V/X/XIII
Soul Reaping – II/X

Been having a very good time with it all. Really effective against boon builds and in team fights it shuts down Cele Ele/Engi. All in all I’m really having fun with it.

Necromancer Main

in Necromancer

NeXeD.3042

I also dont go into traitlines for stats but in the end you should factor them in, and if you have already 100% critchance in DS every additional precision point is indeed useless in DS.

But hey if you want that high critchance out of DS and dont care about the roughly 25% useless critchance in DS you can do it.

It’s less about the precision in the curses line and more about the path of corruption….. if I’m in wvw it can be more finely tuned… but it’s not an option in PvP.

in Necromancer

NeXeD.3042

Well I’ve been playing 4/6/0/0/4 with Berserker Amulet and Rune of Strength. Weapons axe/focus with staff. Axe has sigil of acc and staff frailty both have sigil of strength.

Spite – VI/VIII
Curse – V/X/XIII
Soul Reaping – II/X

Been having a very good time with it all. Really effective against boon builds and in team fights it shuts down Cele Ele/Engi. All in all I’m really having fun with it.

Dump the axe. Try dagger warhorn.Take chill of death instead of axe mastery. In soul reaping take ntd instead of soul marks.(this change is optional but it should only br done if you are not going to use the axe) Get rid of the acc sigil for energy or fire or anything literally anything will be more useful. The frailty is kind of wasted tbh swap for air, fire, energy.

in Necromancer

Zoso.8279

I feel changing to dagger/warhorn is going to take away to much control from my boon strips. The extra stun and speed is nice but spectral walk speed boon duration is enough for me. I am going to take out acc sigil and will probably try nullification or generosity and I think you might be right about frailty will go for energy because I tend to use the staff more as the defensive set and axe/focus as the offensive set.

Necromancer Main

in Necromancer

NeXeD.3042

It’s really the damage from the d/w you arent going to able to do

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

You dont have to take warhorn over focus (though the casttime of focus 5 kinda ruines that weapon). But changing axe for dagger is something you seriously should consider since dagger does more damage and survivability.

in Necromancer

Zoso.8279

Well if you and NeXeD recommend dagger over axe ill play around with it and see if I feel a difference in damage output but to be completely honest the way I have the build atm surprised me as to how effective it is and surpassed my expectations to the amount of fun I was going to have with the build. Only thing that worries me is the range of dagger compared to axe but ill play with it and see if I feel a difference.

This is the current state of the build

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fRAQNAndWjc0UebxN22whbiahCy6MAi+EWh/ly54NA-TZRGwAAeCALOBAg2fwwhAAaZAA

Necromancer Main

in Necromancer

Zoso.8279

Ok after playing with it a few days changing from axe to dagger was a good decision. Being able to use Chill of Death in Spite really helps to finish ppl off and while I was thinking the LF wasn’t going to fill as fast with dagger its not very noticeable. The one disadvantage I see to dagger even though the good outweigh the bad is the range. Axe range really helps in keeping people under pressure the whole fight but still the cleave of dagger is a nice replacement.

Necromancer Main

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

kitten the Knights amulet you lose damage and aren’t even really much tankier than a zerker amulet.

i just want to pop in and say, wat?

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Necromancer

NeXeD.3042

kitten the Knights amulet you lose damage and aren’t even really much tankier than a zerker amulet.

Wat?

I am correct here. We are talking amulets not gear. Zerker amulet has vitality. It is infinitely better than knights amulet. Why would anyone sacrifice like 30% of their damage to not even be tankier is crazy.

(edited by NeXeD.3042)

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Wat?

I am correct here. We are talking amulets not gear. Zerker amulet has vitality. It is infinitely better than knights amulet. Why would anyone sacrifice like 30% of their damage to not even be tankier is crazy.

Against direct damage you are definitly tankier then zerker, do the math if you dont believe me. Condtions or life siphons (lol) are a different story though.

Infact toughness is in most cases better against direct damage then vitality even for necros and even before factoring in any healing.

in Necromancer

NeXeD.3042

Your barely tankier. If you want to recommend some player to use that amulet as necro that’s fine. But you would be playing a bad build, providing barely any offensive pressure. We can’t attrition fight like that well enough to be a wet noodle. Please don’t try to pull out some dps tests on whatever immobile target someone used. The difference between burst damage and sustained damage is ridiculous especially on a class that has to eat alot of attacks. I may have been generous with that 30% thing.

To your point about being tankier. Knights is barely tankier. It’s never going to be worth the tradeoff of that much burst damage.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Your barely tankier. If you want to recommend some player to use that amulet as necro that’s fine. But you would be playing a bad build, providing barely any offensive pressure. We can’t attrition fight like that well enough to be a wet noodle. Please don’t try to pull out some dps tests on whatever immobile target someone used. The difference between burst damage and sustained damage is ridiculous especially on a class that has to eat alot of attacks. I may have been generous with that 30% thing.

To your point about being tankier. Knights is barely tankier. It’s never going to be worth the tradeoff of that much burst damage.

Nah i wouldnt recommend knights amulet because it has overall less stats then zerker and has not power as primary stat. And the only time when i would recommend knights would probably if you go all the way in Deathmagic to get full effect of the 5 point trait.

Personally i think the 6/2/0/0/6 zerker build is the build necros should go if they want to play power necro but running other, maybe even subpar builds, like a chill build can be fun as hell.^^

But i think you underestimate the tankiness against direct attacks, which knights gives.

in Necromancer

NeXeD.3042

I’m not underestimating but it’s is worse against condi and it’s damage is pathetic.

I am of the opinion 4/4/0/0/6 is the way to go.

in Necromancer

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

you won’t notice much of a difference in toughness from zerker to knight. Its like necro using scepter in a dps build. It doesn’t fit. Knight would be better for brawler builds with decent base vitality and condi removal. For example if I was an ele playing d/d in wvw and I wanted to play frontline, I would probably use a bit of knight gear. Knight could possibly be good on a engi, but cele+might stacking is too good right now. Ele has too little vitality in pvp to really use it.. Zerker is 100x better if you play a dps build.

Bad Elementalist

in Necromancer

NeXeD.3042

Going full tank on a soldiers build is still more dps than a knights build on a necro.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Going full tank on a soldiers build is still more dps than a knights build on a necro.

If we do the math with the amulets only, yeah that is sadly true.

Though this can acutally change depending on your build. For example if you only have 3 points into soulreaping (which is not unrealistically for a tank build) and then nothing else (no other traits,sigils runes etc.). And now compare the 2 amulets you do indeed more dps with knights.
Here is the math if you dont believe me: 3 points in soulreaping means a 1.6 crit damage modifer. And with that we have the expected damage:
For knights: A*1576*0.35*1.6+A*1576*0.65=A*1906,96
For Soldiers:A*1858*0.04*1.6+A*1858*0.96=A*1902,6
where A is the other factors in the damage formula http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage, which are by assumption the same for both knights and soldiers.

Well you may now say that i should factor in more things like runes, sigils, all traitpoints etc. and rightfully so, but still you cannot say soldier dps>knight dps always (in tank builds).

And dont missunderstand i am not saying knights is better then soldiers (which it isnt in most builds!!!). I am only saying in certain scenarios things, that are otherwise subpar, may actually quite good.

For example some time ago i played around with a 0/0/6/4/4 build and in that build knights did actually do more for me then soldiers. Yes it may been inferior to meta builds but my argument still holds.