Runes for PVT WvW Zerg Necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Grimstar.6931

Grimstar.6931

I just switched my Necro over to PVT gear and need help deciding on runes. I’m a very support-oriented wellomancer with the standard 0/30/20/20/0 build with plague elite for zerg running. I can’t decide on which runes to use. Runes such as a Melandru, Mesmer (for 4 second daze), and Dolyak look pretty good but I’m not so sure. Before I run off and drop 8-18g on any of these, does anyone have any suggestions?

Sanctum of Rall | Level 80 Human Thief, Necromancer, Warrior, & Ranger

in Necromancer

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Dolyac is a solid choice if your going to tankermancer.

in Necromancer

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

earth is funny, reflect on 6th rune

also pretty cheap.

also should mix nicely if you take protection with wells and maybe 15 in sr

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

in Necromancer

Grimstar.6931

earth is funny, reflect on 6th rune

also pretty cheap.

also should mix nicely if you take protection with wells and maybe 15 in sr

I must admit that Earth rune set looks pretty interesting.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kyskythyn.6471

Kyskythyn.6471

I use runes of the forge on my support/tank build (0/0/20/30/20). It combos well with the 15 trait in soul reaping.

Miss Kysie – S/F condi bunker ele
River of Tears – S/D glass ele
Solo and small group roamer

in Necromancer

Grimstar.6931

I think so far I have it narrowed down to Dolyak, Melandru, and Earth. Anyone care to take a stab and perhaps try to narrow it down further?

in Necromancer

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

I’ve heard from a necromancer in a top WvW guild that he uses Lyssa for the complete condi wipe+ all boons when he hits plague going into the enemy zerg

Melandru runes are always solid, but necromancer has plenty of ways to get rid of conditions, as well as a huge health pool to help absorb some of that damage.

Ranger//Necro

in Necromancer

Posted by: Yngvar.7614

Yngvar.7614

On the subject of Dolyak runes, I feel the 6pc health regen is a bit wasted on us. We can’t be healed in Deathshroud, so the heal is less useful for necros.

in Necromancer

Grimstar.6931

On the subject of Dolyak runes, I feel the 6pc health regen is a bit wasted on us. We can’t be healed in Deathshroud, so the heal is less useful for necros.

Yeah I think you’re right. I think I’ve narrowed it down to Melandru and Earth Runes. both seem so good but can’t decide!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bull Zooker.1672

Bull Zooker.1672

I switched out my emerald orbs on my knight set to superior earth rune yesterday and they are incredible. I feel we have more than enough condition clears on necro and as I was running spectral armor with 20 in SR my protection up time was quite impressive. I would recommend it.

Grandad Fester / Unruly Pigeon – Necromancer by trade

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

Ypu going PVT Gear so Iam guessing a Power Necro of some sort yet you go 30åts into Curses, to me it dosent make sense. But as others said above Runes reflect what you want to Build. In my Power Builds I tend to go Pack just for Power+Precision boost.

If u want a Tank build I go for Earth, Melandru is not needed if u run with zerg to many Guardians & Warrior cleanse anyway.

Rave

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: sas.6483

sas.6483

I currently run PVT gear with carrion gemming and undead runes; 0/30/10/20/10. I used to run PVT with all knight’s gems in all slots. I run tuning crystals and -40% condition food most of the time.

I’ve considered Dolyak, Melandru and Earth. I decided against them because of 1) cost and 2) the main problem with tanky PVT gearing is damage output. It’s actually a big problem, and so I rune a little more offensively. I am starting to think that the long term solution for tanky PVT builds is to obtain the precision/condition damage/toughness/vitality ascended gear, but that’s another story.

If I were you, I’d avoid spending the cash for runes, jam in some cheap gems and go play the build before making any firm decisions.

- Dr Ebola

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

If you want damage, Ruby Orbs.
If you want survivability, Runes of Melandru.
If you want a hybrid, Runes of Hoelbrak.

Having Banshee’s Wail and 1 Sigil of Paralyzation is enough for a 4 second daze.

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

(edited by Ascii.9726)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lumn.2951

Lumn.2951

I enjoy using vampiric runes for the mist form effect, you also get to use your heal or deathshroud to attack or soak up condition damage while being in mist form.

in Necromancer

Posted by: grave of hearts.7830

grave of hearts.7830

rune of the dolyak is expencive and the regeneration is puny,just 30 hp per sec.
I dont exactly regret buying it ,but i did expect more out of the regen bonus.

SoS Defence and Emergency commander
If you see a gear above my head……run
If you see me Offline,its totaly not a trap

in Necromancer

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

I enjoy using vampiric runes for the mist form effect, you also get to use your heal or deathshroud to attack or soak up condition damage while being in mist form.

This.

Mist form can save your life, it also allows for a little forgiveness if you get overzealous and extend to far. Saved my life over a dozen times in the last two hours in WvW, couldn’t even begin to count how much over the past few months.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

in Necromancer

Posted by: SupahSpankeh.8452

SupahSpankeh.8452

Recently replaced my Runes of Vampirisn as stripping after every death or repair was getting hella tedious.

Mad Skullz | 80 Necro | Piken Square

in Necromancer

SupahSpankeh.8452

Does anyone have an easy way of avoiding the requirement to strip after every death with RoV?

in Necromancer

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

Honestly, just use orbs. For the PVT build you are running, there aren’t many rune sets with much utility. Might as well just go for maxing stats instead.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

U may also try vampirism + siphoning traits. (for wells etc.)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

Honestly, just use orbs. For the PVT build you are running, there aren’t many rune sets with much utility. Might as well just go for maxing stats instead.

This is my opinion as well. You’re already pretty tanky with full PVT, and you get a huge amount of stat allotment per Ruby Orb. I personally think you’d get more out of the damage Ruby Orbs will provide over time vs. the defense/utility of a Rune set. To each their own though.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

in Necromancer

SupahSpankeh.8452

Mmm. Nope, you guys are wrong.

PVT runes synergise very well with “at 20% HP” runes because of the nature of WvW – you’re more likely to survive the hit that triggers the bonus with 25khp and 2600 armour than you are at 18khp with basic armour.

Honestly, RoV are friggin awesome in WvW. You can enter DS when in mist form and go to town on the sucker who thought he’d one, then fear, heal and get back at it.

Now – for the question I’ve asked twice… anyone found a workaround which does not involve getting naked every time you die when using RoV?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

Of the 3, earth is going to make you toughest imo. I wouldn’t rule out forge though.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

in Necromancer

Grimstar.6931

I’ve decided to go with the Earth runes. Maybe one day I’ll try the Vampirism ones especially after they get fixed.
I also went full PVT in my jewels for trinkets as well. In the guild/zerg that I run with, I feel I better serve with maximum survivability rather than sacrificing a little in favor of damage.
Some of you might find that silly, but the necro’s primary role in our zerg is not damage, it’s status effects. Things such as:

1. Dropping Well of Corruption to flip boons to conditions on enemies
2. Dropping Well of Darkness with Chilling Darkness trait on enemies
3. Dropping Well of Power to flip conditions to boons on allies
4. Staff skills for status affects and cover fire
5. Plague Elite with the #2 skill combined with Chilling Darkness
6. Warhorn skills combined with Banshee’s Wail for personal swiftness, enemy daze and cripples.

Just about everything else is secondary for the role of Necro in my guild. We stay alive to provide the services above. Not that extra damage ever hurt anyone, mind you. It’s just that damage doesn’t have much to do with the primary services I wish to provide.

(edited by Grimstar.6931)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

A necro can provide cc/support + massive damage, all comes down to your positioning and your teams support with cleansing/healing etc. Thats why I run knights/zerker with ruby orbs and soldier/knights trinkets atm, never have trouble surviving in GvG or blob fights. As a necro I say PVT is an overkill, you have DS and depending on the traits enough to survive (I run 30 in soulreaping for stability, DS cdr and spectral armor) and deal really good damage along with providing support to my group with wells/cc/pressure etc.

I think there is a line/limit for every class, as how much toughness/hp/defensive skills you need, this might sound a bit harsh, but people who run ranged necro with bunker stats might just be trying to compensate their lack of skill and experience in wvw with big hp pools and toughness.