Scythe is clipping my camera. kitten it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: BrokenGlass.9356

BrokenGlass.9356

In an earlier thread, I posted about the unfortunate graphical issues with the reaper. While I was serious in meaning, I attempted to be humorous in dialog. If you would like to read my original pre BWE lament, the link is here.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer/The-Scythe-of-Out-of-Scale/first

So, I’ve retired my interest in the reaper, despite my love of it’s mechanics, because the immersion breaking scale, and ridiculous comical nature of the art. This I am now at peace with. I don’t dig it, I won’t play it. No worries. I’ve been having plenty of fun with daredevil, berzerker, chronomancer, and druid.

However, with the addition of action camera, (a truly awesome, and much needed feature.) My attention is on the center of my screen, and off of my quick bars more than ever, and as such, my skills surviving as a glass cannon are sharper than they ever were.

BUT when another player, running a reaper, is fighting near me, (especially a charr.) My screen is constantly flickering with the poofy explosion of blue/green/black particles and the trails of shadow, it’s the same effect created by terrain camera clipping. This is worse than when terrain is at fault, because I can move and angle such that it’s not in the way. But when another player fighting the same mob as me is the clipping error/glitch/bug, it becomes an unescapeable reality… which, especially in action cam mode, gets you killed.

It’s to the point that l, when I’m playing melee classes (read: all of them) I’m not interested in grouping with a reaper. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t kick the reaper out… necro’s have suffered that fate enough… I just leave. I go to another part of maguma. I get another fractal group. I way point to somewhere else, where I can play with my camera unobstructed.

So, please fix the scythe of out of scale. It’s just not as cool as you think it is. Thank you.

in Necromancer

Posted by: CastIron.7364

CastIron.7364

My two cents:

1.The highest range a skill in Reaper’s Shroud has is Soul Spiral with 300. The AAs are 170, 170, 220 – more than any other GS/Hammer AA in the game. This has to be reflected somehow.

2. Don’t see it as a real physical manifestation but rather a pseudo-physical form the Reaper chooses his lifeforce to take (ask ANet why). I don’t think Life Blast is a physical attack either.

Disclaimer: I play a charr reaper and love it.

edit: Upon further inspection I realized that the scythe clips during the “idle” stance on my charr who is near maximum height. That’s a little annoying but I never stand still in shroud to ’mire my character anyway.

Shaak ~
Played build right now: “Cele” Base Necro with Axe WvW Roaming
“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

(edited by CastIron.7364)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dristig.9678

Dristig.9678

Thanks, you brought a smile to my face.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Clairenix.2780

Clairenix.2780

Eh it’s fine.

in Necromancer

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

I’m on the fence about it myself.
I do think the Scythe is horribly oversized (and I play Norn on tallest setting), but at the same time I like the overall effect – for now anyway. It’s still shiny and new to me.

I can see where this graphical may become an issue if more than 2-3 Reapers are zerging on a mob(s).

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dead.5829

Dead.5829

I like it just the way it is on every race. : /

in Necromancer

Posted by: BrokenGlass.9356

BrokenGlass.9356

I’m on the fence about it myself.
I do think the Scythe is horribly oversized (and I play Norn on tallest setting), but at the same time I like the overall effect – for now anyway. It’s still shiny and new to me.

I can see where this graphical may become an issue if more than 2-3 Reapers are zerging on a mob(s).

Now imagine Reaper becomes the META raid dps… now imaging being an aura daredevil, in between them… looks like the FOV slider is all the way out, and zoom all the way out, and my little flipping Yoda is lost under the skirts of everything, while the camera is still being repeatedly clipped.

It’s less than fun.

Really.

Not only that, but the scythe could be much cooler

Just use the graphic from focus and staff to extend the blade of a only slightly oversized scythe on each swing. Range represented. Life force represented. Just saying.

in Necromancer

Posted by: apoidea.7095

apoidea.7095

Rather it be too big than too small. No such thing as ‘just right’ since it’s something that is subjective.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Arenzo.3298

Arenzo.3298

So, please fix the scythe of out of scale. It’s just not as cool as you think it is. Thank you.

its cooler than they think it is, the huge kitten scythe is one of my favorite parts about the reaper aesthetically, it reminds me of the scythes in anime or jrpgs, and i absolutely adore those, an example. http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32500000/07-Ghost-07-ghost-32513464-1437-804.jpg

(edited by Arenzo.3298)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Avador.8934

Avador.8934

Ok you don’t like it, but many do. It’s actually one of the main reasons I love reaper a lot. If you make it small, you’ll just create another necro staff, but melee.
It’s a lot of fun with it and it’s really cool as it is.

I am lazy to write it over and over. So sorry for my English.

(edited by Avador.8934)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

If the scythe being too large breaks your immersion, then I hate to break it to you but scythes are absolutely horrible weapons so the entire thing should annoy you. Frankly, its supposed to be a bit ridiculous, and I like that the scythe is ridiculously large.

Also you can disable clipping camera issues.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: GiggleFairy.3807

GiggleFairy.3807

reminds me of Father Nightroad. lol