Should I play....

Should I play....

in Necromancer

Posted by: Predator.7321

Predator.7321

A necromancer or a gurdian for WvW purposes only.
It seems like the necromancer has been getting the shaft so it seems best to ask here

Should I play....

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

It doesn’t really matter in WvW. You should play the one you like better for PvE.

Should I play....

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kiriakulos.1690

Kiriakulos.1690

A Necro with traited Staff, Epidemic and other condition skills is pretty good for Siege, both offensive and defensive. Small scale engagements (anything below 6 players) are horrible with this setup though, power is much better since the winner is whoever downs the enemies first.

If you’re looking for fun in WvW then Necros can offer the following, from personal experience:
We have a decent pull skill which is fun during tower and keep siege, I personally call using it fishing and it’s some of the most fun I’ve had in WvW.
The Flesh Golem when properly used can make enemy zergs look like bowling alleys.
Plague form with chilling darkness is some of the most counter-thief maneuvers in the game and every blated thief deserves it!
In the JPs staff fear mark when traited for large areas and boosted for long duration can throw people off, I’ve already killed mesmers who were waiting to port people up the EB jumping puzzle by just standing behind them and fearing them off the ledge with Reaper’s mark.
Using spectral walk to lure people off cliffs is always hilarious, especially if you use the avoid all fall damage move.

What’s important to know about Necros is that we are not the “best” we are outclassed by other professions, we’re bugged, our traits are a mess and playing is a real pain sometimes, but we are not useless.
I personally advocate a revamp of the class, skills mechanics and traits, all of it, but even with all that messed up we can still be useful. Necro is my favorite profession it’s the only one I have at 80 but we do need a lot of work done to bring it in par with the “best” professions in the game.

I’ve never played Guardian so I can’t tell you about them in WvW.

Attrition – A pretty name for taking longer than anyone else to kill something.

Should I play....

in Necromancer

Posted by: Scarran.9845

Scarran.9845

To be honest I have tried all the different classes in the game and for some reason I always come back to my Necro. The reason for this is I feel Necro when everything goes right is great but it is one of the least forgiving classes if you muck up your rotation or utility skills.

It took me a while to find a build that is suitable to my play style and that is where the main issue with Necro is. Unlike other classes it may take a while to find a build that is suitable but once you find that build and everything comes together then it is a fun class to play.

For me my build is a variation on Sheobix Juggermancer. I never spent the points in the exact same places and my utilities are different but the armour and everything else is the same. Wither you go Necro or Guardian is the choice of how you wish to play WvW, if you want a more relaxing play style then it doesn’t get much easier than Guardian in my opinion.

Im not saying its not challenging but its easier to play a Guardian than a Necro. But if your looking for a more active playstyle where you have to constantly be on your toes then Necro is the class for you. As I said its a class you need to work at to find the style of play that you prefer.

Axere – lvl 80 Necro
Nemmeister – lvl 80 Engineer
Jay Knot – lvl 80 Warrior | Rusty Colt – lvl 80 Thief

Should I play....

in Necromancer

Posted by: Levian.6742

Levian.6742

I’m levelling a Guardian myself, just to try it in WvW. I’m interested in using Hammer + Staff, mostly for area control (the warding abilities). I don’t think it’ll be as effective long range as my Necro, but it could be a ton of fun.

However, Kiriakulos hit the nail on the head with Necros in WvW. They can be a ton of fun, dropping Wells from walls, using epidemic after Blood is Power, especially if you and your teammates co-ordinate using conditions on a single enemy

Should I play....

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zac.2890

Zac.2890

I’m levelling a Guardian myself, just to try it in WvW. I’m interested in using Hammer + Staff, mostly for area control (the warding abilities). I don’t think it’ll be as effective long range as my Necro, but it could be a ton of fun.

However, Kiriakulos hit the nail on the head with Necros in WvW. They can be a ton of fun, dropping Wells from walls, using epidemic after Blood is Power, especially if you and your teammates co-ordinate using conditions on a single enemy

You don’t want to use the wards. People can dodge through them. They really suck.

Should I play....

in Necromancer

Posted by: Yendorion.2381

Yendorion.2381

“but we do need a lot of work done to bring it in par with the “best” professions in the game.” Source?

Should I play....

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

I will also +1 a reply to Kiri’s statement.

In addition, keep in mind that WvW is all about being geared and level 80 to win. after that, as long as you’re skilled and competent, you’ll win the large majority of your battles after tweaking your favorite build.

Should I play....

in Necromancer

Posted by: kidbs.8920

kidbs.8920

They are both a lot of fun in WvW but I do find myself enjoying my Necro more. I’ve switched from a hybrid build to more of a pure power build (staff, dagger/warhorn) and I feel very effective in group situations. Wells can pump out a lot of damage and are really good at pushing back groups of enemies (my well of suffering crits for 1.8-2k per tick).

You have a more effective ranged option in playing necro than you do as a guardian who is still relegated to more of a medium range even with their scepter.

SoR – Nethernoz (Necro), Zealot of Pain (Guardian), William The Butcher (Ranger)