Sigil of Ice for Reaper condi build?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Josh.4016

Josh.4016

I’m probably missing something, but why not use the chill sigil to get 3 stacks when we chill instead of geomancy?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

I’m probably missing something, but why not use the chill sigil to get 3 stacks when we chill instead of geomancy?

Geo is an AOE and has a lower cd. Ice isn’t as popular due to its 10s icd which really limits it. I would prefer torment over ice since it is lower cd and an AOE proc plus a new cover Condi. In additional Geo is a longer duration bleed than the chill applies.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

(edited by Helly.2597)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Josh.4016

Josh.4016

It’s an AOE though due to talents right? Bleeds are stronger from this too. I understand the damage is less. I was just looking at situations when it’s not safe to be in range for Geo.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Because Geomancy applies 3 stacks of bleed for 10 seconds, while Deathly Chill is 3 stacks for 5 seconds.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Necromancer

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

If I played a baddy condi staff reaper I would run ice/torment on staff or scepter for small scale. Idk why a condi reaper would even use geomancy/hydromancy unless they chose a melee weapon set for swap but apparently many do staff/secpter for some reason.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

if you’re too bad to use geomancy, use earth. other options either have too long ICD or too short duration

in Necromancer

Posted by: Methuselah.4376

Methuselah.4376

Personally I use Sigil of Malice and Sigil of Bursting for most of my condi builds, even outside necro. It tends to cover a bit of everything with a nice slight boost to condi damage.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Crinn summed it up best. Double the bleed duration, so for things like Pve, geomancy will always be better since you don’t need the covering condition there.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Personally I use Sigil of Malice and Sigil of Bursting for most of my condi builds, even outside necro. It tends to cover a bit of everything with a nice slight boost to condi damage.

Sigil of bursting is bad. It actually is less damage than geomancy and way more expensive.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Sigil of bursting is bad. It actually is less damage than geomancy and way more expensive.

Aye it increases your base condition damage stat rather than actual condi damage.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Crinn summed it up best. Double the bleed duration, so for things like Pve, geomancy will always be better since you don’t need the covering condition there.

Covering conditions is so gw1. If you got your condition covered that someone’s triple cleanse didn’t somehow remove, you got lucky.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Against PvE bosses, condi dps duration and quantity are best.

Real players cleanse conditions and are inconvenienced by soft CC like chill, which bosses ignore.

in Necromancer

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

Against PvE bosses, condi dps duration and quantity are best.

Real players cleanse conditions and are inconvenienced by soft CC like chill, which bosses ignore.

That’s actually another reason you don’t want Sigil of Ice, sometimes you don’t want to cc a boss, so having an extra, uncontrollable soft-cc is not a good thing. But as everyone else said, yeah it’s mostly because Geo does double the damage.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Depends on the game mode and what you intend to focus on.

In PVE, where you have scripted targets with predictable locations, sometimes mob swarms with very low hitpoints, or boss mobs that don’t move for a long time or not at all, don’t use any defense abilities or don’t time them correctly, etc., the geo sigils are better because you can just stand there or position yourself with reliability and land hits.

In PvP, especially in WVW, where your opponents have very high mobility, will not stand in your circles, range or near you, use their defense abilities and counter boons etc. the ice sigils are better hands down.

It is true that torment sigil by itself is better then ice, but by going torment you are missing a ton of CC, utility, and actually way more damage (trait dependant).

Thing about sigil of ice, is that it has great synergy between Chilling Nova, Deathly Chill, Lingering Curse, Shivers of the Dread, Cold Shivers. Add to that any of the decent rune sets and the fact you can also run it on staff and pop it off of AA @ 1200 range and pop it of off your marks, and the other sigils just can’t come even remotely close.

So it does depend on rest of your build and your focus, but I find it overall much more useful then geo or any single stack of a cover condi.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

In PvP, especially in WVW, where your opponents have very high mobility, will not stand in your circles, range or near you, use their defense abilities and counter boons etc. the ice sigils are better hands down.

No Geomancy and Hydromancy are (or where in the case of sPvP) extremely strong sigils when playing against players. Why? Because weapon swaps are instant which means the sigils can be used as part of low-telegraph burst combos.

Also entering shroud counts as a weapon swap so you can combine geo/hydro sigils with on-shroud procs to create a very nasty instant burst. (in fact there used to be a meta build that exclusively focused on doing exactly that)

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Necromancer

Posted by: Helly.2597

Helly.2597

No Geomancy and Hydromancy are (or were in the case of sPvP) extremely strong sigils when playing against players. Why? Because weapon swaps are instant which means the sigils can be used as part of low-telegraph burst combos.

Also entering shroud counts as a weapon swap so you can combine geo/hydro sigils with on-shroud procs to create a very nasty instant burst. (in fact there used to be a meta build that exclusively focused on doing exactly that)

Crinn is right here imo. In WvW the hydro and Geo are still stronger than ice. And torment is better than ice for exactly the points that are made that ice is good. I’d much rather have that cover Condi so my bleeds and chill don’t get cleansed instead of just more chill.

And honestly for good players having control over the proc when using hydro and geo is very important since as Crinn mentions you can set up instant burst combos without having to count on rng. Considering my WvW roaming build is more or less a viper variant of that spvp build Crinn references I can speak towards hydro and Geo’s effectiveness in WvW.

People call me Hobo.
Violent Tendency [vT]
Ferguson’s Crossing Roamer

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Ice is not bad on a set you’ve built for non-swapping when you have the Spite Vuln and Reaper Bleed traits. I don’t know if it does quite enough for other builds.

Nalhadia – Kaineng