So, new level 80 Necromancer here, what now?

in Necromancer

Posted by: VitaEtNex.4916

VitaEtNex.4916

Hey, as the the title displays there, I just hit level 80 for the first time in this game, which is super awesome.

However my only difficulty lies in the fact that for starters, not exactly sure what to do with my Necromancer. He’s my only character so far, and with the recent changes and updates I’m not really certain what is a viable build at the moment for PvE, not much of a PvP or WvW type.

Like, I’ve read up (and seen people on the LFG listings) that people who run dungeons want Zerkers only and other jazz like that. While others say using Rampagers with condition builds. Its all just very confusing and not exactly sure what I should so I don’t hit like a wet noodle in PvE content.

I apologise for the really newbie questions here, in general I’m only just asking, what is should I be doing with my Necromancer build and gear wise?

A huge thanks from this slyvari if anyone can help me

Attachments:

in Necromancer

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

Well, first you seem like you know you want to do PvE more than any of the PvP stuff, so there’s a start.

You may want to join a guild that focuses on PvE stuff if you haven’t already.

And as for doing the right build and stuff, yes you should try for a good build, but if you spec something just because someone told you to and end up hating that style, you won’t be playing your necro for very long. Figure out what style of necro you like best, and go from there. So long as you’re not running with the “gotta do this dungeon in 10 minute or less” crowd you can probably make it work. Finding a guild that is welcoming to this style of play will probably help.

Anyway, good luck and have fun.

Tarnished Coast

in Necromancer

Posted by: velocity.4621

velocity.4621

this is what i’m using :

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=V40;3kHFJ0F4sJVJ0;9;469A;0137156147;4INl3L;1udbTudbTn-FSF6o0;2V1-60B1G2LZR42o-Gs1k;5F2C-F2-oo

i think this is what most power necro run, something like that…

works well in wvw and pve, well i don’t do dungeons, but if people looking for zerker, this should do just fine…if they want a necromancer that is.. :P

feel free to change the elite skill, off hand with warhorn or focus, or replacing well of power, with, i dont know, signet of spite, blablablabla etc etc….plague signet perhaps (i do that sometimes in certain situation) according to your needs, and the elite skill since i dont use it a lot…

people below me might know more about condi build xD

trial and error, feel free to try and choose anything what you think is fun…

good luck..

Life will be easier if guardian have 25% passive movement speed.

Raavaholic | [MM] Metro Mini Transformers Founder & Leader | SEA |

(edited by velocity.4621)

in Necromancer

Posted by: araskell.9018

araskell.9018

For dungeons/high lvl fractals this is what I’m using: Dungeon necro I switch the third utility skill around depending on the situation (Well of Power, Signet of Spite, Signet of the Locust) and the healing skill too.

Brazil from DnT made an excellent dungeon necro guide: Brazil’s Dungeon Necro

As far for open world/map completion, just use whatever you like and are comfortable with. I suggest trying out different builds to learn how the necro plays and what it can do and firstly do some map completion before going into dungeons.

Lunas Deathwish | FA WvW – [BOMB]

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

You could start with a mixture of completing your personal story, leveling crafting and gathering materials, exploring all of Tyria for the map completion, farming world events for gear and crafting materials, doing each of the dungeons and picking one to farm a set of dungeon armor, join a few guilds and make friends, explore WvW, and try PvP.

There is a lot to do that older players forget or become bored with. As a new player, you will not have bank tabs clogged with crating items or much gold to purchase things with. Spend a bit of time on a variety of things and Gw2 will not get old too quickly.

in Necromancer

Posted by: VitaEtNex.4916

VitaEtNex.4916

Well, I certainly appreciate all of the feedback so far!

I should really try to complete the map, at about 52% now. As for crafting I’ve dabbled a little in tailoring and artificing (or however you would put that) but I should focus on that a bit more. I’ve almost completed my personal story, only stuck on the last bit with taking on Zhaitan but thats because it requires a group and I’m sort of shy on asking for help on it.

As for builds, I’ve played around with using a scepter/dagger and focus for about 30 or more levels for a condition build but it seems most folks tend to look down on Necros who use conditions so I’m playing around now with Araskell’s build that he posted earlier.

For what I would like to play myself outside of whats considered the ‘norm’ in builds, I’d really like to get more use out of say using the Lich Form and Death Shroud, damaging Wells, and using the dagger, though not sure if its better suited for mainhand or offhand use, or perhaps both. Mainly want to use Lich Form cause it looks really awesome :P

Anyways, once again thanks for the help so far, still want to see what my fellow Necromancers can say to help me.

in Necromancer

Posted by: velocity.4621

velocity.4621

I should really try to complete the map, at about 52% now.

As for builds, I’ve played around with using a scepter/dagger and focus for about 30 or more levels for a condition build but it seems most folks tend to look down on Necros who use conditions so I’m playing around now with Araskell’s build that he posted earlier.

one little advice, never use condition build for map completion,

why? some heart quest require you to hit structures which will be taking forever with condi build (assuming you are using rabid, not carrion or sinister)

if you are using rabid, trust me, even green zerker equipment does it faster…i already tried that… T_T

Life will be easier if guardian have 25% passive movement speed.

Raavaholic | [MM] Metro Mini Transformers Founder & Leader | SEA |

in Necromancer

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

I should really try to complete the map, at about 52% now.

one little advice, never use condition build for map completion,

why? some heart quest require you to hit structures which will be taking forever with condi build (assuming you are using rabid, not carrion or sinister)

if you are using rabid, trust me, even green zerker equipment does it faster…i already tried that… T_T

Condi necro is very good in open world, compare to non zerker power builds. When you can’t just burst down everything with zerker, you better have good cc and that’s where condi necro shines.

in Necromancer

Posted by: OlliX.1705

OlliX.1705

Necro right now is the least desired class for dungeons because we bring limited utility and our damage is pretty low, even in full berserker gear. That being said, we are better off than before since the patch and can now help our party out with high AoE weakness uptime, vampiric aura and protection on wells.

I’d suggest having a look at Brazil’s guide that someone linked earlier. It’s probably the best you can do on necro in PvE right now. The Dagger build is more damage in a well optimised party and also provides high weakness uptime, while the Death Shroud build is a bit more self-sufficient and might be better in bad dungeon groups. The Death Shroud build in his guide also works really well for WvW zerging if that’s more your thing.

[qT] Necro main.