So the reaper is already bad?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dreadforce.6980

Dreadforce.6980

I think it will be as things stand now..(opinion could change on the 23rd)

Note: Necro has been my main for almost 3 years I mainly wvw on a t8 sever and play pvp. And this is not high lvl pvp play because how many really play at that lvl.

My reasons for this are

1. chill —>resistance
2. movement skill changes (chill wont effect distance)
3. still a lack of ways to deal with heavy cc
4. condition changes do not matter necros are not the best at applying conditions(my opinion)

That right there is all I need to see to make me think that the reaper is going to be bad. All a reaper gets is a pull on the great sword and a 600 range dash in reaper shroud. So like it is now a necro will be kited or a player will just escape to reset the fight/get to allies.

Agree/Disagree

(edited by Dreadforce.6980)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zin.6170

Zin.6170

Agree for now, but they did recognize necro would have issues when they changed the movement skills and they would address it at some point. So hopefully between now and the expansion it will be addressed.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

As a ranger main I absolutely agree. Necro’s got screwed pretty hard. At least they lubed it up nice for ya. “Reapers are going to be the masters of chill so you don’t need gap closers”… a few weeks later “chill no longer affects movement skills”

You will be just like the scary movie monsters that slowly stalk the enemy. So basically all you need to do is wait for your opponent to trip over their own feet so you can catch them, just like they do in the movies.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

We don’t know what the final raw damage and most importantly the final ability scaling is going to be yet so it’s hard to say. If the damage is significantly high enough the aforementioned issues may not necessarily matter as much however if it’s lackluster then it’s dead before it even sees the light of day.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

We don’t know what the final raw damage and most importantly the final ability scaling is going to be yet so it’s hard to say. If the damage is significantly high enough the aforementioned issues may not necessarily matter as much however if it’s lackluster then it’s dead before it even sees the light of day.

Damage being higher will help in PvE but it’s not going to help in PvP/WvW when players are dancing around you. They really need to give the GS a gap closer.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

Damage being higher will help in PvE but it’s not going to help in PvP/WvW when players are dancing around you. They really need to give the GS a gap closer.

PvP/WvW are not solo game modes. 1v1s at higher level play are not even as remotely common as one may think. So while it is a problem it’s not going to be as much of one if you’re running in a properly comped group to cover for shortcomings. This does limit the kind of groups that it will have play in.

For people that just casually solo queue and focus on 1v1s and avoid team fights yes it will be problem for those people.

For WvW in lower tiers this will be a serious problem. In T1/T2 if you are not roaming in at least a small group(duo+) or zerg GG.

Being forced into specific group comps to function severely limits play diversity and is a bad thing IMHO. However is the risk vs. reward there to warrant it? We don’t know yet. I have a hard time trying to be positive about it considering what we saw this week with the baseline profession.

(edited by NeuroMuse.1763)

in Necromancer

Posted by: CratZ.6270

CratZ.6270

I know how to fix it! Necro should apply 10 stacks of vulnerability to himself everytime he chills someone!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dreadforce.6980

Dreadforce.6980

@CratZ No it should be we apply 10 stacks of every condition to our allies and self.

@NeuroMuse I did say I’m in t8 wvw and I was not talking about high lvl pvp even in a group a necro is the first focused down because its the easiest to lock down and kill. When i play pvp on my necro I even focus necros because its easy.

in Necromancer

Posted by: splatticus.1278

splatticus.1278

Reaper is already doomed to be a niche pve spec. They gave nothing to it that would suggest a necro would be able to survive in a melee setting in anything more than simple 1v1.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tissitra.4153

Tissitra.4153

Well hopefully they will make some changes to reaper before the expansion comes out. Especially given the recent changes, any build that has to rely on chill to do things is doomed: every class now has traits reducing chill duration, elementalists can now remove chill in an AOE by dodging in any attunement and so on. It is quite hopeless as it is now.

It is like if you were playing a game where you can do a lot more damage than others, however the others are actually invulnerable all the time.

The best case scenario is there will be some halfway random change to a reaper trait that will actually make it playable. But looking at the core mechanics as of now, I cannot see it working.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

Well hopefully they will make some changes to reaper before the expansion comes out. Especially given the recent changes, any build that has to rely on chill to do things is doomed: every class now has traits reducing chill duration, elementalists can now remove chill in an AOE by dodging in any attunement and so on. It is quite hopeless as it is now.

It is like if you were playing a game where you can do a lot more damage than others, however the others are actually invulnerable all the time.

The best case scenario is there will be some halfway random change to a reaper trait that will actually make it playable. But looking at the core mechanics as of now, I cannot see it working.

Lol, the Necro community should just make this our never ending catch phrase – hopefully this will change with the next patch.

We have taken this stance for ever and we have stayed subpar in a game where most classes have improved. Necro has been depicted as a subpar class consistently in pvp and in pve, and yet devs have this false notion that Necro’s could be powerful so we better not Improve them. I seriously think they don’t want us to compete with their top classes because it would hurt their pseudo export mentality.