Staff Marks and destructible objects.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gilwe.9267

Gilwe.9267

Hello, fellow Necromancers.

Most of you will already know what issue I’m talking about by reading the topic title.

This has been bugging me for a while. Mark skills from the Staff are unable to hit destructible objects or even special bosses such as the dragon lieutenants, because they can’t trigger them. The only way to hit them with marks is to let a nearby hostile creature trigger it, which is not always possible.

Let’s take the Claw of Jormag meta event for example. After the ice wall has been breached, I can only damage the dragon with the Staff #1 skill or switch to my Scepter/Dagger set (which also does poor damage in this case). I had to resort to Lich Form or Wells to do more direct damage. Then comes the stage where we have to protect the bomb golems from ice pillars. Again, my Marks have little use here.

I’d like to ask a question now to every Necromancer:

Would you want your Staff Marks changed, so that they can be triggered by destructible objects and meta event bosses? Would this change be unbalanced in some cases? (e.g. siege weapons in WvW)

Thank you for reading.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Spyder.7192

Spyder.7192

I suspect they are going to get hit in the AoE nerfs coming, so being triggered by objects is a fair tradeoff IMO.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kheldar.6278

Kheldar.6278

I would like to see staff marks trigger on destructible objects. If a mark can damage something, then I feel like it should trigger. There are some situations where it might be frustrating in a PvE setting, where you are laying down marks for an incoming enemy but they trigger early because you happen to catch the edge of some destructible barrel or something before the mob gets there. In general though, I think it would be a positive change.

I don’t find it to be imbalanced when it comes to siege weapons in WvW, because they almost always trigger anyway because an enemy is there using the weapon so they trigger. If there is no enemy, then you likely have more time anyway to take down the siege weapon without the need for marks.

~Kheldar
Marked Souls

in Necromancer

Posted by: The Demonic Spirit.3157

The Demonic Spirit.3157

But the objects are not affected by condition damage , so marks can only land a direct damage.

All 80es > MM necro is my best ,cleric
guard ,nades eng ,Trap thief \ranger ,signet\shout warrior, zerk mes\ele & shiro rev.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kheldar.6278

Kheldar.6278

But the objects are not affected by condition damage , so marks can only land a direct damage.

Right, but this is no different than using a scepter on an object. It uses only the direct damage portion of the skill and not the condition damage of the skill.

~Kheldar
Marked Souls

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gilwe.9267

Gilwe.9267

That is true, but the direct damage from marks is still reasonable enough to use, especially the Staff #4 skill. Keep in mind that meta bosses such as the Dragon Lieutenants can receive conditions such as bleeding and poison. Plus, I would prefer to use marks on objects because they are fast and cover a lot of ground with Greater Marks. Necrotic grasp moves very slow and in a straight line.

in Necromancer

Posted by: The Demonic Spirit.3157

The Demonic Spirit.3157

Nothing is stronger than the dagger against objects .

All 80es > MM necro is my best ,cleric
guard ,nades eng ,Trap thief \ranger ,signet\shout warrior, zerk mes\ele & shiro rev.

in Necromancer

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

I have more of a problem with them not being triggered by downed enemies. It would be nice to be able to bleed multiple foes to death in wvw.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.