Staff sound. is too loud/long?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Allmeth.8652

Allmeth.8652

Hi all,
I’m just wondering if I am the only one who thinks the attack sound of the staff is way to loud compared to other weapons?

I’m using staff and scepter/focus right now, and i can barely hear the attack sound of my scepter, but when I change to staff, the sound of it’s attack is just way to loud imo.

It could also be, that the sound of the staff is too long, or lingers a bit too long for my taste.

Anyways, am I the only one who is annoyed with this?

in Necromancer

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

I couldn’t agree with you more.
I was fighting in group events a few times this week, and after a minute of the loud auto attack I ended up switching from my staff to my second weapon set (and less efficient weapon set for my role in these events).
The sound is very cool for the effect, it just needs to be toned down.

in Necromancer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

There seems to be multiple sounds, with one or two that are particularly grating. The one i really notice starts with a uh or oh sound.

Btw, i think Focus #4 share sound effects with the staff auto attack.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Karther.7481

Karther.7481

I think Focus #4 used to be the ability on Staff’s #1. The Focus skill is called Reaper’s Touch and shoots out a scythe, the Staff skill shoots out a copy paste of Lich’s #1 but forms a scythe upon the staff.

Along with the copy and paste graphics, the sound probably got overlooked and rushed or something of the sort. I don’t mind it so much, there’s hardly ever a situation I’ll ever be spamming it, but I agree that the skill lets the weapon down a lot.

Rhelex – 80 Asura Necromancer
Time To Leave [GTFO] – a WvW Guild
Piken Square server

in Necromancer

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

the focus #5 used to make the same sound as the lich auto attack, I’m not sure why it got changed to the staff auto attack sound. I personally preferred the “picture taking” sound on #5.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

in Necromancer

digiowl.9620

Heh, yea i have wondered why necro staff auto attack is a pierce while the mesmers is a bounce. The latter is much more likely to catch targets that are a bit spread out without having to goad them into a conga line.

in Necromancer

Posted by: merch.1026

merch.1026

Probably because it has a higher base damage rate
necro 178, mesmer 80

in Necromancer

Posted by: Allmeth.8652

Allmeth.8652

I really think dev’s should lower the sound of staffs autoattack, and decrease the sound duration a bit aswell

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aexrael.5918

Aexrael.5918

Staff 1 sounds like a sick moose in pain, they really need to change it to something else.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ice Furl.4982

Ice Furl.4982

I agree it is to loud and I also think it needs some randomness to it to make it less annoying

in Necromancer

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

SO LOUD!

It would be impossible for me to agree with you more. This should be added to the bug list to be honest. Its hard for me to keep my sound on due to how annoying it becomes. What makes it worse is that as a necro you almost ALWAYS have staff equipped in one of the slots due to how much better it is at range than any other weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Snowblindness.7156

Snowblindness.7156

Agree. It is very loud and most importantly, unpleasant. I really dislike the sound and this is especially sad because it is my favorite weapon on necro.

PS. My roommate complains about the annoying noise.
PSS. Why was the topic about the noise closed? There is no information explaining this.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Now that I think of it, the sound reminds me of the Life Tap skills from the first Fable game. =D

in Necromancer

digiowl.9620

@Merch Point. Tho i may well trade that damage for an attack that can hit more reliably.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kiadog.7083

Kiadog.7083

So much yes. I dread playing with a necromancer. You all use staffs, your only viable weapon if we are honest, so I don’t blame you (was a necro myself, but I just couldn’t do it anymore. Switched to guardian and am so much happier), and they have the loudest most obnoxious sound.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Morvian.3270

Morvian.3270

I agree that it’s loud. I don’t often have to deal with it though because I’m usually switching weapons and going in and out of DS so much that I’m never using an auto attack. It’s only when a champion or veteran comes along and survives my initial wave of AoE abilities that I have to resort to auto attacking. At which point I press the volume down key several times and wait for skills to come off cd