Staff without Death Magic?

in Necromancer

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I don’t use minions and hate the Reanimator trait. Would just skipping the Death Magic trait line kitten a staff-user too much? I know I’d miss the bigger/unblockable marks and the staff cooldowns, but I really, really don’t want to be stuck with Reanimator.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

You’ll live. Ever since the marks were made larger by default and Greater Marks is now Master instead of adept, it isn’t that required anymore though I still prefer Staff Mastery for faster cooldowns. But many builds don’t need the staff traits at all.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

I use staff, and haven’t used the death line at all since they moderately increased the mark radius.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

The good think about staff is you can use it in any build simply for all the utility it offers, even if the dps and the autoattack are bad. I am one of the necros that always has staff as second weapon set and i am really glad that i dont have to skill in death magic anymore for the radius increase.

So yes it is ok to skip death magic as staff user and when they finally change the 5 and 15 point traits in death magic it may be worth going into death magic again.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Login.5102

Login.5102

I still LOVE greater marks, big unblock-able marks are underrated.

But that being said, I rarely take the trait. Going 20 points into Death Magic is not worth it with most builds. Now that marks are bigger by default, and the trait was moved into master, i find it a lot less appealing.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I always grab staff mastery when I play condi-spec. Its too important to rule out for a mere 10 points.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drensky.9567

Drensky.9567

only reason i’d go for death magic trait line is for the unblockable marks.

Drensky – Neckromancer

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ashin.5986

Ashin.5986

The 25 point trait in Death magic is probably one of the strongest in our whole kit. Assuming there is any toughness in your equipment at all, it allows you to get a similar amount of power from Death magic as you would have from Spite, while also gaining all that precious toughness.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Druss.6917

Druss.6917

If you really like staff but don’t want to mess with death magic, why not just take spiteful marks and soul marks? Those two combined make staff pretty nasty. Yes the recharge reduction is always nice, but honestly you can live without it. It’s only 20%.

“Come to me and die you stinking whoresons. For I am Druss, and This is Death!”