Still the most parasitic Profession

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Looks like we’ll still provide nothing but damage to our group. The Crowd control is nice and all but it wasn’t something we really struggled with. Chilled and crippling was something we did a ton of and have easy access to. Chill would need to have some major impact on mob encounters for it to be useful in PvE and the stacking and zerker meta needs to be smothered to death before this can see use. But if they create challenging and interesting content that you can’t cheese then we still have a major issue with party support.

GW1 necromancer supported their allies in a very unique way. It was a play style that still doesn’t exist in GW2 and with the expansion it looks more like the revenant will be providing that unique support many of us GW1 players have been craving for years. But thats bitter sweet really. We’re still a rather parasitic profession with an extremely parasitic mechanic. And no one wants a parasite on their team.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I don’t want to be part of the graphic suckers but neither the over pessimistic group, I will wait for the PoI and showcase of HoT mobs then I’ll complain. Love the title btw.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Oh you got to see the POI scheduled for tomorrow? I mean surely the only way you can make these claims would be with knowledge of all the traits and all the skills.

Or maybe you should wait. And perhaps stop making GW1 and GW2 comparisons. They are different games.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

If the Revenant is providing the playstyle you crave, then go play it. No one is stopping you. It is still possible the shouts will negatively impact mobs in ways that are unique to the Necromancer. Also, boss fight design plays a huge role in what classes bring to the table. Immobile bosses that stand in AoE, don’t need much in the way of boon stripping, and don’t remove player boons on the regular cater to different classes. Is that the Necromancer’s fault, or is PvE just designed poorly?

Based on the descriptions in the blog, I couldn’t be happier with how they are designing this elite spec.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Or maybe you should wait. And perhaps stop making GW1 and GW2 comparisons. They are different games.

I’ll never stop doing that. GW1 is an amazing game with tones of depth. It had play styles that don’t exist in other MMOs and even in GW2. Arena net have been slowly pushing GW2 to be more like GW1 in many ways and its why I haven’t left yet. GW1 wasn’t a perfect game, by any stretch of the imagination. But if Arena net can’t learn from what it did well, what its mistakes were then GW2 will die.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

Stacking can die easily if Anet increases boon share radius to 1200 for all abilities.(extremely unlikely). Berserker on the other hand will not die because dodge, reflect and blocks would have to be removed or significantly nerfed or making all bosses immune to crit making crit a useless stat.(never going to happen)

in Necromancer

Roe.3679

I’ll never stop doing that. GW1 is an amazing game with tones of depth. It had play styles that don’t exist in other MMOs and even in GW2. Arena net have been slowly pushing GW2 to be more like GW1 in many ways and its why I haven’t left yet. GW1 wasn’t a perfect game, by any stretch of the imagination. But if Arena net can’t learn from what it did well, what its mistakes were then GW2 will die.

GW2 is an amazing game in its own right, but it isn’t gw1.

in Necromancer

Cogbyrn.7283

Stacking can die easily if Anet increases boon share radius to 1200 for all abilities.(extremely unlikely). Berserker on the other hand will not die because dodge, reflect and blocks would have to be removed or significantly nerfed or making all bosses immune to crit making crit a useless stat.(never going to happen)

Or bosses can have cleave abilities that increase the amount of damage done the more targets that are hit. Or bosses could eat boons, doing more damage the more boons consumed (so if multiple players are hit when they aren’t spread, the boss eats boons off of each, turning into a monster). Or bosses could be ranged, snapping off AoE immobilizes then dodging/blinking back out of AoEs that players drop to rain down damage on an area. Or adds could pick a target and rain down exploding arrows, such that when a target is hit, damage is done in an AoE around the target. When multiple targets get hit next to each other, they explode on each other as well, ramping up damage taken.

There are a myriad of ways you can punish “stack and damage the boss” tactics. ANet just needs to get creative with their PvE.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

Or bosses can have cleave abilities that increase the amount of damage done the more targets that are hit. Or bosses could eat boons, doing more damage the more boons consumed (so if multiple players are hit when they aren’t spread, the boss eats boons off of each, turning into a monster). Or bosses could be ranged, snapping off AoE immobilizes then dodging/blinking back out of AoEs that players drop to rain down damage on an area. Or adds could pick a target and rain down exploding arrows, such that when a target is hit, damage is done in an AoE around the target. When multiple targets get hit next to each other, they explode on each other as well, ramping up damage taken.

There are a myriad of ways you can punish “stack and damage the boss” tactics. ANet just needs to get creative with their PvE.

They already use some of those mechanics but block reflect and dodge negate them often enough that a full zerker party can kill them before their survivability is jeopardized.

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Missing the point, as usual. Not surprised.

in Necromancer

Cogbyrn.7283

They already use some of those mechanics but block reflect and dodge negate them often enough that a full zerker party can kill them before their survivability is jeopardized.

There are ways around all 3 of those. Reflect requires a projectile, Unblockable is a thing in the game, and there’s already a precedent for an ability still having an effect while dodging (see: Guardian GS #5’s pull. You don’t get pulled, but it interrupts your dodge and knocks you down in place).

They just need to get away from the “We have dodging in our game! Let’s make dodging the counter to all of the mechanics!” They can be more creative than that.

in Necromancer

Roe.3679

Wishing this game is something it isnt, not surprised.

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Wishing this game is something it isnt, not surprised.

Except I’m not. Its important that we learn form the past so we don’t repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Arena net is doing this in part. But when there is success then that should be repeated. Arena net is forgetting the previous success that they had with the necromancer in the first game. And because of it they seem to be making nothing but mistakes with the profession in GW2.

It has nothing to do with wishing GW2 to be identical to GW1. It has to do with building on success. I don’t know why you guys can’t understand that. This is a fundamental part of game design.

in Necromancer

Cogbyrn.7283

Without any real detail, it sounds like you’re saying “When they move more towards what GW1 did, it’s right. If they try to go a new, different direction, it’s wrong.” I played GW1 for hundreds of hours, and I have no idea what mistakes or positive progress you’re talking about. In GW1 you could multi-class. You had dozens, if not hundreds of abilities to choose from. Conditions were a completely different animal. Health/mana regeneration was based on pips, creating a tug-o-war situation. Not every class could heal. Mana was a thing. You had 8 abilities instead of ~15 gated by weapons/heal/utility/elite. You couldn’t dodge. You couldn’t move while casting.

In order to even draw parallels, you have to dig really deep into the core design, but I don’t see that in any of your posts. All I read is “I really liked GW1 and wish I could still play a game like it.”

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Without any real detail, it sounds like you’re saying “When they move more towards what GW1 did, it’s right. If they try to go a new, different direction, it’s wrong.” I played GW1 for hundreds of hours, and I have no idea what mistakes or positive progress you’re talking about. In GW1 you could multi-class. You had dozens, if not hundreds of abilities to choose from. Conditions were a completely different animal. Health/mana regeneration was based on pips, creating a tug-o-war situation. Not every class could heal. Mana was a thing. You had 8 abilities instead of ~15 gated by weapons/heal/utility/elite. You couldn’t dodge. You couldn’t move while casting.

In order to even draw parallels, you have to dig really deep into the core design, but I don’t see that in any of your posts. All I read is “I really liked GW1 and wish I could still play a game like it.”

I’ve been posting for years. And I’ve been pulling examples from GW1 for years. Some examples of them going in the right direction that were already in GW1 was allowing players to change their builds when they like, free of charge. Something that we didn’t have at first in GW2. I’ve used that example before.

The thing is, You don’t have to completely reinvent the wheel every single time. I don’t want Guild wars 2 to be exactly like GW1. What I want to see is they’re actually learning from both the mistakes they made in the first game and where they did extremely well and even did it right.

The Guild Wars 1 necromancer wasn’t perfect. Far from it. It had major game breaking flaws that had even crashed the game a few times. Such as they used to be able to summon an unlimited number of minions. That number had to be capped. Another issue was with soul reaping. It used to have no limit or cool down on it meaning you could sustain your energy completely without investing many points in soul reaping. Those flaws got fixed.

On top of that its also important that they’re not too cautious with professions. If they’re too scared to jump then no progress can be made. This is what I’m seeing with the GW2 necromancer. They took allot of risks with the GW1 necromancer and they are taking no risks with the GW2 necromancer ever since them being broken in the alpha for a short period of time. The reaper is not giving us anything new and its also just a very “Safe” solution for them. The GW1 necromancer had a lot of risky design and in the end it worked incredibly well. GW2 necromancer has taken no risks and its stagnant.

in Necromancer

Posted by: MonkeyButtFace.4862

MonkeyButtFace.4862

Wildstar has a few raid mechanics that punish stacking, or at least require you to be careful about it.

Debuffs that create an AoE field around a single player. If they are too close to anyone else, that person also gets one. If the people affected don’t run out of group, they could potentially kill everyone there as it spreads through the entire raid, getting progressively more dangerous since everyone is cleaving everyone else and it overwhelms the healers.

Something similar could be done.

Bosses who release big, unavoidable damage spikes every time they take a certain amount of damage. Force the group to take it slow, or they blow themselves up in short order.

Hell, a lot could be done if say… Some fights where one player has to go somewhere or do something that makes them take slow, steady damage. More than most glassy builds can survive.

Katinne Graveborn, TC Necromancer
RPer, PvPer, WvWer.