Suggestions to improve great sword and reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brokensunday.4098

Brokensunday.4098

Great sword

This weapon has much potential but is too slow for PvP PvE and even WvW to improve the weapon overall I suggest the following.

1: Dusk strike: Reduce the damage by 10-15% and reduce the cast time to ½ .

2: Fading Twilight: Reduce the damage by 10-15% and reduce the cast time to ½.

3: Chilling scythe: Reduce damage scaling from 1.4 to 1.0 reduce the cast time to ¾.

4: Death spiral: The skill is nice but can be improve like add a teleport to target like on guardian sword this has been already suggested can’t remember the name sorry.

5: grasping darkness: The skill is a bit clunky but it can be improved if you add the target system like on warrior gs 3.

(Infusing terror) remember reaper is a melee fighter it need stability increase the duration by 2 sec or gain x amount of lf if you don’t shatter it.

Reaper traits

1: Soul Eater: make the trait affect all skills like vampiric aura but just for you instead of just grave digger.

2: Blighter’s Boon: Increase the healing per boon and lf gain by boon (reason necromancer can’t spam many boons like the rest of the classes) or gain x2 boon and keep the lf and healing the same.

3: Deathly chill: make this skill apply 2 bleed per chill (or torment) or rename to frost burn and add 1 second of burning per chill

(edited by Brokensunday.4098)

in Necromancer

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

1-2-3. No thanks, rather have the big hits then faster hits.

4. Really? This skill is uber strong already, doesn’t need anything more.

5. Forced target? Um no, pbao is a feature of this skill not a setback.

Soul Eater: Yeah this is lackluster and could use a better second part.
Blighters Boon: This is already very strong, I don’t see a need to adjust this.
Deathly Chill: Again, agree after the “fix” this trait is bad. Would like to see something that benefits both condi and/or power builds. Maybe something like "critical hits extend the duration of chill on a target) ..

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in Necromancer

Brokensunday.4098

Deathly Chill: Again, agree after the “fix” this trait is bad. Would like to see something that benefits both condi and/or power builds. Maybe something like "critical hits extend the duration of chill on a target) ..

i agree on 4 i drop it because it sound fun when i saw it but on
the auto chain on gs why whould you want slow hits that 70% miss it would be better if you can hit hard and fast and that’s the sugestion, it would be a better wep for pvp pve.

blighters boon is not bad not good necros have few boons thats why it need the buff but not to the level it was before

i like the last suggestion you give but we need something more than the duration our damage chill got hit hard

thank for the reply

in Necromancer

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

i agree on 4 i drop it because it sound fun when i saw it but on
the auto chain on gs why whould you want slow hits that 70% miss it would be better if you can hit hard and fast and that’s the sugestion, it would be a better wep for pvp pve.

blighters boon is not bad not good necros have few boons thats why it need the buff but not to the level it was before

i like the last suggestion you give but we need something more than the duration our damage chill got hit hard

thank for the reply

I don’t want the speed increase because I don’t want the damage reduction. I like how it works as is.

We are able to apply boons quite steadily, especially when you build to compliment the trait.

I never liked chill doing damage in the first place, I feel like its a plenty strong condition without it.

I forgot to mention my opinions are from a wvw perspective only.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

1: Dusk strike: Reduce the damage by 10-15% and reduce the cast time to ½ .
2: Fading Twilight: Reduce the damage by 10-15% and reduce the cast time to ½.
3: Chilling scythe: Reduce damage scaling from 1.4 to 1.0 reduce the cast time to ¾.

Our GS is specifically designed to be slower than every other GS int he game but by comparison each hit is stronger. I doubt this change will ever come in, maybe some after cast changes but thats it..

4: Death spiral: The skill is nice but can be improve like add a teleport to target like on guardian sword this has been already suggested can’t remember the name sorry.

Mobility, especially through walls and on the z-axis is why this one happen. Besides the skill is fairly string for what it does anyways.

5: grasping darkness: The skill is a bit clunky but it can be improved if you add the target system like on warrior gs 3.

They had way to much trouble designing the skill and getting it to work because of the tech required, unless they have made advancements i doubt the skill will change much besides auto turning your character like most other skills.

2: Blighter’s Boon: Increase the healing per boon and lf gain by boon (reason necromancer can’t spam many boons like the rest of the classes) or gain x2 boon and keep the lf and healing the same.

When you build for it necromancer generates one of the highst amounts of self might in the game. This trait doesnt need changing at all.

3: Deathly chill: make this skill apply 2 bleed per chill (or torment) or rename to frost burn and add 1 second of burning per chill

more bleed or torment, torment would be better, makes sense but never burn. Burn would do fair to much damage for the skill.

1: Soul Eater: make the trait affect all skills like vampiric aura but just for you instead of just grave digger

This is the only one i can agree with since this is how it was before.

in Necromancer

Posted by: INVU.5978

INVU.5978

I really don’t think the OP is suggesting to nerf GS skill 1 damage, rather up the dps it does and make the swing more viable. I get that it’s part of the design for it to be slower but at least make it so that when clearing lower trash it’s not so spiky/clunky (in other words you’re mid animation and your party has already killed everything).

Deathly Chill change, +1. Not burn though and no to extending chill. They nerfed chill for good reason. I’d prefer to see something that boosts the damage of current condi and maybe something that gives some sort of condi cleanse protection (not 100% of course, but a penalty of sorts for cleansing that makes it still worth doing but we don’t lose all the damage).

In general damage tuning is just needed, GS reaper doesn’t add utility outside of 4 & 5 skill pull (useful) and 4 skill field (overlaps) and let’s be honest they aren’t great.

In essence we need more support or more damage to compensate, if the power build utility remains as it is there’s no excuse with our lack of utility for us to be so sub-par to thief/ele dps.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zantmar.5406

Zantmar.5406

I really don’t think the OP is suggesting to nerf GS skill 1 damage, rather up the dps it does and make the swing more viable. I get that it’s part of the design for it to be slower but at least make it so that when clearing lower trash it’s not so spiky/clunky (in other words you’re mid animation and your party has already killed everything).

Deathly Chill change, +1. Not burn though and no to extending chill. They nerfed chill for good reason. I’d prefer to see something that boosts the damage of current condi and maybe something that gives some sort of condi cleanse protection (not 100% of course, but a penalty of sorts for cleansing that makes it still worth doing but we don’t lose all the damage).

In general damage tuning is just needed, GS reaper doesn’t add utility outside of 4 & 5 skill pull (useful) and 4 skill field (overlaps) and let’s be honest they aren’t great.

In essence we need more support or more damage to compensate, if the power build utility remains as it is there’s no excuse with our lack of utility for us to be so sub-par to thief/ele dps.

precisely
many people above does not seem to want any change, with no change power builds will stay the same unusable state.
-GS faster gs auto and casttimes is needed to be competitive, the weapon being so slow to the point that LF generation is unreliable
-The teleport proposed by OP has been mentioned before, i thing it would be a great change
-Dagger #2 needs to channel much much faster at the moment it feel sad as if you are giving opponent time to recover for using the skill.
-Dagger #3 needs to
-Axe need to deal more damage, its sad how a condition weapon out performs the axe in terms of power damage
reaper shroud needs hit harder power wise, its worse than dagger auto

Life blast should hit twice and have its damage halfed
If Rocket Charge is only 2 leaps then it should look like 2 leaps
True Shot should be cast on the move

in Necromancer

Brokensunday.4098

precisely
many people above does not seem to want any change, with no change power builds will stay the same unusable state.
-GS faster gs auto and casttimes is needed to be competitive, the weapon being so slow to the point that LF generation is unreliable
-The teleport proposed by OP has been mentioned before, i thing it would be a great change
-Dagger #2 needs to channel much much faster at the moment it feel sad as if you are giving opponent time to recover for using the skill.
-Dagger #3 needs to
-Axe need to deal more damage, its sad how a condition weapon out performs the axe in terms of power damage

yeah i agree

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Its same stuff were spamming for years,

But anet is balancing around beginer level players where thieves with bad builds die to necros with worse axe+greatsword builds, and both then laugh and hold hands while doing a dungeon.
That is their major target audience and were kept in check as a noobstomper proffesion and an outdated idealism of “we must feel green and slooow”

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Necromancer

Posted by: Daunte.3095

Daunte.3095

This Thread is very frustrating to read. Lots of people in here don’t seem to want changes made to the Greatsword but it’s one of our weakest weapons and needs some adjusting.

I have completely given up on the weapon in PvP, in no small part to its slow and highly telegraphed attacks.
The fact is it is our shortest range weapon, we are the least mobile class, and it has the slowest attack speed as well. All that makes it way too easy to avoid reaper gs attacks. The great sword is not large and imposing it is awkward and clumsy.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

I believe this is the death spiral teleport video you are referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM-4UH8t0LU

I still agree with that as well.

I also agree with the fact that our auto attack sucks, our trait Soul Eater should be changed and grasping darkness needs a fix (but so does every pull skill EG spectral grasp)

in Necromancer

Brokensunday.4098

I believe this is the death spiral teleport video you are referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM-4UH8t0LU

I still agree with that as well.

I also agree with the fact that our auto attack sucks, our trait Soul Eater should be changed and grasping darkness needs a fix (but so does every pull skill EG spectral grasp)

yeah thats the one also gs need some love and some traits and reaper could be more solid

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zantmar.5406

Zantmar.5406

gs trait is pathetic, if it makes grave digger transfer conditions then it might become a contender

But necro power weapons overall are unreliable in terms of being able to hit things, except axe, which tickles kitten

I was fighting a warrior in 10 duels and I won 2 with a power reaper, granted I played 6 month of power necro before, and 2 month of power reaper so I can’t really be called trash tier, but still he was just trying out a new build haha. I basically spend the entire time spamming defensive abilitys and marks to keep my self alive

Life blast should hit twice and have its damage halfed
If Rocket Charge is only 2 leaps then it should look like 2 leaps
True Shot should be cast on the move

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I will prefer give most or all GS skill bonus damage upon chilled foe.

The weapon is designed as a slow but hard hitting weapon with chill in mind. With the chill damage trait reworks into bleed, the damage is shifted toward condition damage which hurting power build by a large margin. It make 0 sense to bring the chill damage trait with power greatsword build while the skill are too unreliable to hit without chill.

If there is bonus damage upon chilled foe, power GS necro can try to inflict and maintain chill on foe to make the best out of it.

GS trait should also change to critical hit with 33% chance inflict chill with 5 ICD.

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

precisely
-Dagger # 2 needs to channel much much faster at the moment it feel sad as if you are giving opponent time to recover for using the skill.
-Dagger # 3 needs to

Its not that they dont want change more so that they dont agree with the changes op proposed/some being unrealistic. Just on the things OP mentioned.

1 skill
Our greatsword is 20% slower than others on average yet does about 20% more damage on average. The faster you make it the weaker it has to be to keep the relationship the same.
Thing is when this is all good and well you then have to think about how long the chill it applies. Currently it has a chill uptime of 66% with the innate +20% chill duration reaper has. This will also have to change to hold true. Then again the weapon is easier to land so does the duration need to be reduced even further?
Then you need to look at how much lf the strike generate as well since if its faster it will naturally generate more since unlike dagger its lf generation isnt capped to 1 target. Would the #3 skill then have to generate less lf?
Then you need to look at it compared to dagger. Would dagger then have to undergo the same speed increase thief dagger got? (2.1 ->1.68 for a complete chain )

Point being its easy to say make it faster but there is a lot that would need to be looked at when doing so. Nothing is ever simple. Also the devs have a huge things for thematics.

3 skill
This will never get the teleport since it would provide what is thematically a slow class with a lot of extra mobility, especially z-axis and through wall mobility. Yes it could use improvements but this one be one.

5 skill.
All pulls in the game need work besides magnet so its a wider issue. The skill is also new tech for them so changing it is difficult because they clearly stated so and stated they had a low of issues increasing its range just a little. Personally feel it should send out a “slow” conical frontal wave that when it hits targets teleports them to you and knocks them down.

On your points on dagger
2 skill
Fair enough i agree with this one
3 skill
This skill doesnt need anything, especially a faster cast time. It is a 600 range 3s immobilize that converts 2 boons to conditions with a 0.75 power scaling ( can hit fairly hard ). Its a very overloaded skill as is now. Before it converted boons it was very good anyways.

and on this
“reaper shroud needs hit harder power wise, its worse than dagger auto”
There are clear reasons why it doesnt.

in Necromancer

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

Greatsword changes i would like to see:

Death Spiral:
- This skill now transfers 2 conditions to your foe

Grasping Darkness
- Increased range from 750 to 900 (same cast time, which means the skill now works faster)

Then GS would be totally fine! This weapon isn’t designed to fight thieves or mesmers. Take dagger for fast-paced matchups! Against e.g. GS warriors the reaper GS does a pretty good job.

in Necromancer

Brokensunday.4098

precisely
-Dagger # 2 needs to channel much much faster at the moment it feel sad as if you are giving opponent time to recover for using the skill.
-Dagger # 3 needs to

Its not that they dont want change more so that they dont agree with the changes op proposed/some being unrealistic. Just on the things OP mentioned.

1 skill
Our greatsword is 20% slower than others on average yet does about 20% more damage on average. The faster you make it the weaker it has to be to keep the relationship the same.
Thing is when this is all good and well you then have to think about how long the chill it applies. Currently it has a chill uptime of 66% with the innate +20% chill duration reaper has. This will also have to change to hold true. Then again the weapon is easier to land so does the duration need to be reduced even further?
Then you need to look at how much lf the strike generate as well since if its faster it will naturally generate more since unlike dagger its lf generation isnt capped to 1 target. Would the #3 skill then have to generate less lf?
Then you need to look at it compared to dagger. Would dagger then have to undergo the same speed increase thief dagger got? (2.1 ->1.68 for a complete chain )

Point being its easy to say make it faster but there is a lot that would need to be looked at when doing so. Nothing is ever simple. Also the devs have a huge things for thematics.

3 skill
This will never get the teleport since it would provide what is thematically a slow class with a lot of extra mobility, especially z-axis and through wall mobility. Yes it could use improvements but this one be one.

5 skill.
All pulls in the game need work besides magnet so its a wider issue. The skill is also new tech for them so changing it is difficult because they clearly stated so and stated they had a low of issues increasing its range just a little. Personally feel it should send out a “slow” conical frontal wave that when it hits targets teleports them to you and knocks them down.

On your points on dagger
2 skill
Fair enough i agree with this one
3 skill
This skill doesnt need anything, especially a faster cast time. It is a 600 range 3s immobilize that converts 2 boons to conditions with a 0.75 power scaling ( can hit fairly hard ). Its a very overloaded skill as is now. Before it converted boons it was very good anyways.

and on this
“reaper shroud needs hit harder power wise, its worse than dagger auto”
There are clear reasons why it doesnt.

on gs thats why i and most people on the forums say to lower the damage by some % but still mantaining it viable ( also to have the slowest wep on the already slower class is bad mechnics). On the Lf it should stay the same, dagger is by 2 opponets and on a real fight you are not gonna spam gs 1 chain all the time or even land it.

on the chill uptime you have to land the 3rd chain also is an unrealistic %
but if it is too much it can be reduced from 2 (1/2 ) to 2
gs 3 and 5 i agree with you

dagger is ok can use some tweak but is or best power wep a 5% damge increase on auto would be nice skill2 and 3 faster cast time and it would be perfect

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

on gs thats why i and most people on the forums say to lower the damage by some % but still mantaining it viable ( also to have the slowest wep on the already slower class is bad mechnics). On the Lf it should stay the same, dagger is by 2 opponets and on a real fight you are not gonna spam gs 1 chain all the time or even land it.

dagger is ok can use some tweak but is or best power wep a 5% damge increase on auto would be nice skill2 and 3 faster cast time and it would be perfect

See this is the problem its not straightforward.

First of all you are wrong, dagger will only generate life force for one target even if you are hitting 2. The full chain will only give you 8% lf no matter if you are hitting 1 or 2 targets. GS, all of its hits generate lf per target stuck therefore at max the chain can grant 15% lf. GS actually generates more lf per second that dagger as long as you are hitting 2+ targets. That does not also count the other two aoe skills on the weapon that generate lf. The faster the weapons the faster and more reliable the lf generation is and would have to be accounted for not only on the auto but the rest of the kit. Secondly our GS thematically HAS to be slower than every other one in the game so don’t expect to get near the 2.5s of other gs. Potentially all it would get is some after cast changes bringing it to around 2.75~2.9s.

Secondly is chill uptime you can change the duration and keep the theoretic uptime the same but because its faster=easier to land=more practical uptime it would potentially have to be further reduced.

Dagger doesn’t need a damage increase but merely faster attacks like their dagger got boosted to. No coefficient changes but resulted in a d[s increase of about 30%. Like i said skill 3 cant get any more of a cast time because the effect of being a ranger 3s immobilize that converts 2 boons is very strong. If it had a faster cast time it would become to punishing and something or all things on it would need to be shaved slightly. All dgager needs to be perfect is for skill 2 to have a slightly faster channel time and a faster auto potentially.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I think third attack on auto needs to be bit faster and without a dps loss honestly. The greatsword really has poor dps in my opinion I think a ranger sword is slightly better

in Necromancer

Brokensunday.4098

See this is the problem its not straightforward.

First of all you are wrong, dagger will only generate life force for one target even if you are hitting 2. The full chain will only give you 8% lf no matter if you are hitting 1 or 2 targets. GS, all of its hits generate lf per target stuck therefore at max the chain can grant 15% lf. GS actually generates more lf per second that dagger as long as you are hitting 2+ targets. That does not also count the other two aoe skills on the weapon that generate lf. The faster the weapons the faster and more reliable the lf generation is and would have to be accounted for not only on the auto but the rest of the kit. Secondly our GS thematically HAS to be slower than every other one in the game so don’t expect to get near the 2.5s of other gs. Potentially all it would get is some after cast changes bringing it to around 2.75~2.9s.

Secondly is chill uptime you can change the duration and keep the theoretic uptime the same but because its faster=easier to land=more practical uptime it would potentially have to be further reduced.

Dagger doesn’t need a damage increase but merely faster attacks like their dagger got boosted to. No coefficient changes but resulted in a d[s increase of about 30%. Like i said skill 3 cant get any more of a cast time because the effect of being a ranger 3s immobilize that converts 2 boons is very strong. If it had a faster cast time it would become to punishing and something or all things on it would need to be shaved slightly. All dgager needs to be perfect is for skill 2 to have a slightly faster channel time and a faster auto potentially.

my apologies is true dagger only gives the 8% and gs by multiple targets youa re right.

second thats the problem thematically the necro gets punished while the other clases don’t for it to be balance it need to be faster but yes if its faster the lf gain need to be shaved a little to be balanced.

dagger auto could be faster yes it would be better with blod trait but a damage buff slightly could work too

dark path if you reduce to half sec or even 3/4 it would be fine the damage is not that great second its a skill for the necro to catch up or punish for being unaware, also rember is a power wep so the conditions convered arent much of a problem and is on a 25 sec cd

in Necromancer

Posted by: INVU.5978

INVU.5978

Perhaps a good route to go down (instead of speeding up GS auto) would be to provide us quickness buffs, probably to self (i’d love it to be to raid but we can’t just fully push out mesmer as they are).

Quickness is just so amazing on GS, the only place we are getting play in with GS is in fractals where the cleave is nice and the 5 skill is great for mob management. Being self sufficient with quickness would at least help us there, all the better for it being a group wide effect. Gravedigger and sword auto (not that you ever use it) actually feel right with quickness.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Insidion the Insane.9752

Insidion the Insane.9752

Here’s my pipe dream:
1. Soul Eater: GS skill recharge 20% faster, casts 10% faster and siphons health on hit.
2. Swap Decimate Defenses with Reaper’s Onslaught.
3. ???
4. Power necro now closer to being viable in PvE.

And these too:
1. Gravedigger’s atrocious aftercast/second swing nuked from orbit.
2. Blighter’s Boon now works like a stacking regeneration for every boon you have.
3. A damage modifier on chilled foes slapped on the nigh useless Shivers of Dread.
4. Gravedigger’s atrocious aftercast/second swing nuked from orbit.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Erza.4516

Erza.4516

Just on the point of improving the greatsword. I think something a lot simpler, such as a trait change could help. The Soul Eater trait is currently in a useless spot, Chilling Victory and Decimate Defenses are always better options for any content. But if you replaced Soul Eater with a trait similar to Warriors Leg Specialist: (Immobilize a target when you cripple them with a skill [5sec internal cd]) but with no internal cooldown and a lower immob time 1sec>0.5sec, it would make all greatsword skills much easier to land with Nightfalls (GS4) pulsing cripple. Since the whole problem with greatsword is being able to land your attacks. Doesn’t this solve most of the problems without actually touching the gs but swapping out a dead trait?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Prince Vingador.8067

Prince Vingador.8067

I dont want to sound rude or anything …but , for the gs to be viable (in pvp at least) it needs to hit much faster, cause atm u just cant hit any 1 because of the short range and how slow it is.
Second: i belive some swifness or teleport is needed , cause most likely u dont want to lose staff.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

I dont want to sound rude or anything …but , for the gs to be viable (in pvp at least) it needs to hit much faster, cause atm u just cant hit any 1 because of the short range and how slow it is.
Second: i belive some swifness or teleport is needed , cause most likely u dont want to lose staff.

Well you arent wrong but faster attacks are unlikely to happen (gs is afterall intended to be slow…).

So i would vote for swiftness or a teleport on gs3… if i could.

in Necromancer

Brokensunday.4098

Well you arent wrong but faster attacks are unlikely to happen (gs is afterall intended to be slow…).

What if we get quickness when you land the second auto attack or third for 2-4 secs

in Necromancer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I love the GS as-is. Only thing that could be changed is Soul Eater such that it’s not terrible. Swap it with Augury of Death to the Minor slot, and push healing on all GS skills for self-only, and it becomes instantly viable while not paling in comparison to DD and CV.

in Necromancer

Flumek.9043

This is for comparison sake.
GS#1 does 22k DPS fullbuffs + other skills etc on golem rotation.
GS#2 does 27k DPS + 20% CtD bonus = 33k…..but “just the +gs#2 itself” is worth 27k.+

Many said this idea concept is not needed on ALL SKILLS to be slow. You should have a reliable auto since its already hard to stay melee. It doesnt need to 30k thief dps auto level, but it deserves a bit more + actualy giving some value to the chill effect.

Then, cz youre not gonna win your fight just with autoatacking outside of shroud, you go into your stronger mode – the #2 spam – which is slow and telegraphed.
The #2 also need an aftercast reduction, a decent range increase and possibly another cherry on top.

in Necromancer

Flumek.9043

I just thought about 1 secend of superspeed during its cast time.

A finisher move you cannot outrun with passive frost auras.

Thoughts?
I know superspeed is thematically engies invention, but pure practically it seems to me exactly what would make it work.