Superspeed vs. The Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: origin.1496

origin.1496

The Scrapper and the Tempest offer great ways to apply superspeed, constantly.

First, I don’t play the necro. I main engi and ele, and I’ve not played the Reaper yet, however even then I am concerned with all of the ways to dish out super speed (primarily in sPvP) and how the reaper’s slow swings/chill will effect the gameplay of reaper’s now. the F- skill for engi’s Slick Shoes completely bypassed their means of catching me on the last beta, and made the reaper feel like a joke to fight against. Also I do understand that not many were great playing a brand new mechanic, BUT STILL! With all of the super speed incoming and dazes from Scrapper alone, how well would a greatsword Reaper be in a team if you play against a team with a Scrapper?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bandrell.4357

Bandrell.4357

I’m pretty sure people don’t even use the greatsword in spvp. I could be wrong. So this is probably a non issue.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vydahr.4285

Vydahr.4285

Greatsword actually can work quite well in spvp. Yeah, it’s slow, but reaper’s aren’t meant to 1v1. Reaper’s do best when they seek out teamfights and cause chaos, which gives them the chance to land all their big attacks

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Greatsword is really strong in PvP because enemies are always forced to fight on point with you (or near another objective), it has the potential to nearly one shot people with gravedigger, and its 4 skill is a really strong denial. GS is quite nice in PvP, and the addition of even more superspeed is annoying. That said, I don’t think the superspeed that is accessible is actually going to be used/abused much, it requires a really heavy investment most people won’t make.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well scrapper truly has a ton of superspeed but tempest only has the air shout which is on a 45 second untrainable cooldown and the air shout proc. 6 seconds of superspeed per 90 seconds is nowhere near constant bro.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

Necro/Reaper GS is the best “on point” weapon for sPvP by far it even outshines the Staff. When ppl are talking about slow cast-time u have to keep in mind that in 1v1 that can be tough to land some skills if u havent done a pre-CC on the target, but slow cast-time isnt a big issue on point in sPvP due to the fact u have 5 Target Cleave and some1 almost always get hit by that Gravedigger. Add to that that Nightfall on point is one of the best Necro weapon skills we have for defence…

Super Speed is imo is good for you offence vs a Reaper or really any class but do very little for your defence if u wanna stay on that point u still have to Tank the Reaper and even the hardiest DD Ele will have issues with that.

I see Reaper as a really good “on point” class but may be hard to chase down targets with it so Necros just have to let enemies come to them, and going by current “kill the Necro” -Meta that wont be an issue either

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: Falcon.8713

Falcon.8713

Greatsword is really strong in PvP because enemies are always forced to fight on point with you (or near another objective), it has the potential to nearly one shot people with gravedigger, and its 4 skill is a really strong denial. GS is quite nice in PvP, and the addition of even more superspeed is annoying. That said, I don’t think the superspeed that is accessible is actually going to be used/abused much, it requires a really heavy investment most people won’t make.

Except that it isn’t. Since every other profession will try to permablind you with everything they do, GS hits will be knows as ultimate luck attacks, while d/wh provides the best anti-blind skill ever + acces to immob/daze/swiftness & High damage on mara/zerk.

My necromancer got upgraded to a scythe-wielding maniac.. I like it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

Except that it isn’t. Since every other profession will try to permablind you with everything they do, GS hits will be knows as ultimate luck attacks, while d/wh provides the best anti-blind skill ever + acces to immob/daze/swiftness & High damage on mara/zerk.

Cast Plague Signet mid gravedigger to surprise oneshot the blindspammer → Profit.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Cast Plague Signet mid gravedigger to surprise oneshot the blindspammer -> Profit.

Or any utility shout other than YAAW.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

Cast Plague Signet mid gravedigger to surprise oneshot the blindspammer -> Profit.

Or any utility shout other than YAAW.

Oh! Oh! I know, I know!

There’s this shout we have…. Not super strong but it transfers a condition….. Starts with S…. Slither? No… That’s not right. Sunder? Nope, not it either….. Oh! Suffer! That’s the one. Use that

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: Charblaze.6958

Charblaze.6958

Scrapper needs to be in melee range to deal CC and damage with the hammer, Nightfall can counter that. “Chilled to the bone!” freeze and stability helps too. IMHO it will be more a contest of skill between the Reaper and the Scrapper. Next BWE we will see who is right.

I’m the only one thinking of the combo Scrapper + Reaper. Reaper with superspeed must be a terrifying sight. Lots of other synergies too.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

For OP’s concern and for a whole bunch of other valid concerns, the Reaper is DOA dead on arrival unless it has valid anti kiting tools.

This means that ranged weapons axe, focus and scepter need to be improved massively, from being worthless to worthwhile weapons. (Staff and offhand dagger coud be looked at too).

The reaper is slow to move & slow to attack. Greatsword means that Warhorn is harder to fit in your build, meaning even swiftness is harder to apply.

The necromancer has proper anti kiting tools in Death shroud that the reaper will not have.

There is a red post saying axe will get looked at.

Really the Reaper isn’t a complete character unless it has options to swap to (so that it isn’t hard countered by anybody with a ranged weapon).

Hopefully scepter, focus and the other weapons get looked at too. (Even if they were once ok, they havent kept up with power creep, or they got gutted in the condition rebalance).

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

The reaper is slow to move & slow to attack. Greatsword means that Warhorn is harder to fit in your build, meaning even swiftness is harder to apply.

Reaper isn’t slow to move, its faster than base necro for ground speed, only attack and that’s only with the great sword, and you don’t have to take it.

in Necromancer

nekretaal.6485

Slowest of all classes isn’t slow enough for you?

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

Slowest of all classes isn’t slow enough for you?

Well after:

Death’s Charge – Increased movement velocity by approximately 30%. Improved animation consistency

We have one if the best leaps in the game. If you have enough lf should be able to move fairly quickly. Can keep up with several classes if no Z-axis is involved. You should effectivly be able to chase someone down and eventually catch them in flat land. Shame its lf gated but the potential is there. And my point still stands its faster than base necro by a great deal.

in Necromancer

nekretaal.6485

Still slowest.

Can’t really use the leap for land speed because you lose 4% shroud per second & have a 10 second RS cooldown. & in-combat your RS uptime is less than half of DS uptime because the shroud melts so fast.

Plus, since you are theorycrafting and not game experience crafting, I do remind you that DS #2 has a much longer range.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Still slowest.

Can’t really use the leap for land speed because you lose 4% shroud per second & have a 10 second RS cooldown. & in-combat your RS uptime is less than half of DS uptime because the shroud melts so fast.

Plus, since you are theorycrafting and not game experience crafting, I do remind you that DS #2 has a much longer range.

Dark Path is practically useless for chasing, since anyone with Swiftness outruns it. Plus, in chasing scenarios, it’s actual effective range is probably actually the same as Death’s Charge, but Death’s Charge doesn’t require landing a hit and also has half the cooldown (at the very least, is available whenever you enter reaper’s shroud).

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

in sPvP I really dont worry at all with Reaper, I see a big improvement for us. in WvW aswell, Solo Roaming in WvW however will be tricky for Reaper vs LB Rangerand will most likely require some range “tools” tho SuperSpeed dosent really bother me when it comes to Repaer as much as Interrupts and Slow….

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nyth.3492

Nyth.3492

The Scrapper and the Tempest offer great ways to apply superspeed, constantly.

First, I don’t play the necro. I main engi and ele, and I’ve not played the Reaper yet, however even then I am concerned with all of the ways to dish out super speed (primarily in sPvP) and how the reaper’s slow swings/chill will effect the gameplay of reaper’s now. the F- skill for engi’s Slick Shoes completely bypassed their means of catching me on the last beta, and made the reaper feel like a joke to fight against. Also I do understand that not many were great playing a brand new mechanic, BUT STILL! With all of the super speed incoming and dazes from Scrapper alone, how well would a greatsword Reaper be in a team if you play against a team with a Scrapper?

The way I see it, you can super speed all you want. But I’m still standing on the cap point. So if you want it, you’d better superspeed your kitten back in my range :>

For real though. Mobility is a major weakness for the necromancer. And personally I’m fine with that, in return we should be one of the better 1v1 classes.
In fact I think a lot of high skilled PvP players agree with this. (I know for a fact that Five Gauge Caithe from the Abjured actually literally said on his stream that Necro should be best 1v1)
Necro’s have low mobility, no way to disengage a fight. So if there is a fight, they should be able to come out on top.

in Necromancer

Sigmoid.7082

I have played every beta , reaper is much faster in combat than base necro from the weekends of experience I have had with it. Especially the second. The only problems with the leap and its not being a general speed increase were with the animation which have thus been sped up and made smoother. This only applies out of combat though since in combat its still a speed increase.

There are a lot of situations in PvP where were I a base necro and not a reaper I could not have run from. Since its being improved to be faster and smoother it should be better on all accounts including being a speed increase out of combat.

On super speed. In conquest it won’t be much of s thing because of cap points. In other game modes like WvW and strong hold it may be stronger. Relatively speaking someone with cripple+super speed is still very fast, 315u/s , someone with chill and super speed moves as fast as someone with swiftness. So you have opportunity unless they start spamming movement skills.

(edited by Sigmoid.7082)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Falcon.8713

Falcon.8713

Using a 24 cooldown (which has better uses then just remove blind) to cast 1 gravedigger which won’t hurt anyone unless you’ll run zerker and even then can still be interrupted during cast / won’t be able to oneshot anything that runs cele/soldier+
→ No profit.

My necromancer got upgraded to a scythe-wielding maniac.. I like it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

Using a 24 cooldown (which has better uses then just remove blind) to cast 1 gravedigger which won’t hurt anyone unless you’ll run zerker and even then can still be interrupted during cast / won’t be able to oneshot anything that runs cele/soldier+
-> No profit.

“which won’t hurt anyone unless you’ll run zerker”

Reaper is able to do zerker damage without using zerker amulet, you are able to completely replace precision for a defensive stat.
And seriously, gravedigger “won’t hurt”….. it is one of the most hurting skills in the entire game dude.

It doesn’t have to be able to oneshot people with defensive stats. It’s a really god kitten hard hitting skill with 8 seconds cd! And that’s just a thing if you are hitting something above 50% life. I really can’t understand someone who is complaining about gravedigger.

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

-> No profit.

“which won’t hurt anyone unless you’ll run zerker”

Reaper is able to do zerker damage without using zerker amulet, you are able to completely replace precision for a defensive stat.
And seriously, gravedigger “won’t hurt”….. it is one of the most hurting skills in the entire game dude.

It doesn’t have to be able to oneshot people with defensive stats. It’s a really god kitten hard hitting skill with 8 seconds cd! And that’s just a thing if you are hitting something above 50% life. I really can’t understand someone who is complaining about gravedigger.

Even without critting, GD still does about 4k damage to heavy targets and 1k more to light. That’s a quarter of a glassy build’s health. Hell, it’s even a good chunk out of a warrior with defensive stats. And towards the end of a fight, it can cinch a win or turn a loss. Anyone who says Reaper isn’t a powerful Elite (arguably the most powerful elite) in teamfights hasn’t put on some tanky gear and jumped into the middle of a fray. Reaper is devestating

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper