Terror damage

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

Hmm, I’ve always been very on the fence about chilling darkness. Persuade me on why its good, go on!

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Derk.3189

Actually, fearing people back into a well is a decent use of fear, particularly on dagger builds. Terror is still a bit gimmicky though, I agree.

Fear always makes the target run directly away from your current position, so it’s hard for me to see how you fear people back into a well, especially if you drop the well at your feet or even if you have Focused Rituals , it will run them out of the center. Imagine a vector line that went from your character straight to your foe, then continued through their body to infinity. That’s the path that fear will always send them on until its duration ends. So if you dropped a well at your feet and wanted to fear your foe into it, you’d have to run/flesh wurm teleport, or dodge roll past them out of your well, then fear them back into it. This is fine and all, but there’s just many other practical decisions you can make to kill someone more effectively than this circus move.

Chilling them before the fear, on the other hand, would serve to better keep someone in a well, but you must realize that dropping a Chilblains mark(3/4s cast) on them, then shrouding and hitting Doom will take ~1 second to accomplish, so that’s the foe’s window to use a travel ability or dodge to get out of the well. Actually, you mentioned Dagger mainhand, so Dark Pact would suffice to immobilize them in a well, however its cast time is rather hefty @ 1s and once again, most people dodge out before that cast would go off and the dodge roll would make that cast fizzle.

Some fights, not all, just some, have a certain pace set into them. If you are attacking someone who is likely to retreat, you can be ahead of them and fear them back to your well. Happens in WvW all the time (at least I do it quite a lot)

We mustn’t presume that every fight involves a sparse open area that is without obstacles. Quite a lot of the time you can anticipate where the enemy is likely to go next. That said, I am by no means saying fear is the end all method to synergize with wells.

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: XiL.4318

XiL.4318

Hmm, I’ve always been very on the fence about chilling darkness. Persuade me on why its good, go on!

Seriously? Read the tooltip. It snares AND slows. That means people get hit with more ticks of things on the ground, and can’t outrun your auto attack.. Oh and they hurt you at 66% slower rate…

Why did I even ave to explain this to you?

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: Fynd.4890

Fynd.4890

Because necromancers only have 2 sources of Blind(that actually proc Chilling Darkness) and that hardly makes the trait worth taking since it will only be a benefit to you once every 18+ seconds if you use Deathly Swarm on recharge and slot Well of Darkness.

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Derk.3189

Because necromancers only have 2 sources of Blind(that actually proc Chilling Darkness) and that hardly makes the trait worth taking since it will only be a benefit to you once every 18+ seconds if you use Deathly Swarm on recharge and slot Well of Darkness.

This. If I dropped a staff3 with my wells I’d get the same effect, and scepter2 can snare too. I don’t need to bring well of darkness and its entirely long cd. And I’m not saying WoD is a bad skill, its a great skill, I just don’t think Chilling Darkness does all that much in the grand scheme of things.

(edited by Derk.3189)

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

Chilling Darkness is decent for a Power-based Necro, but its completely dwarfed by Terror in any build that is focused on condition damage — and its not even remotely close.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

Just FYI, a third source that uses chilling darkness is Cloud form 2. They fixed the “bug” last patch and forgot to mention it. It does indeed stack up chilled with the blind every second. Although if you ran a power build it would be hard to give up lich form.

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

Definitely something weird going on with the new bonus damage. Usually I use food to reach 100% fear duration, and I didn’t have it on in the mists, but my Terror’s were still ticking twice on damage as long as I had a condition already on. Was only at +70% fear duration. Then I untraited the 50% fear duration and it was still doing the second tick. (Though I don’t think the Fear’s were actually lasting 2 seconds, just the 2 damage ticks).

This could open up some more versatile builds while still taking Terror, and not needing the extra second, though I still prefer it, just because you can unload a lot of other damage in that extra time.

(edited by Pendragon.8735)

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenyoga.6910

Zenyoga.6910

Been playing around with Terror and traiting. You can get 2 ticks of terror with just the 50% trait and 10% in Lyssa, no need to go into spite. You can get 100% with traiting lysaa, necromancer and putting a +15% stun duration sigil on your weapon and go 20 into spite. It seems that randomly you can get 2 ticks with just the 50% trait or as Pendragon saw, without… not sure why.

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Derk.3189

Been playing around with Terror and traiting. You can get 2 ticks of terror with just the 50% trait and 10% in Lyssa, no need to go into spite. You can get 100% with traiting lysaa, necromancer and putting a +15% stun duration sigil on your weapon and go 20 into spite. It seems that randomly you can get 2 ticks with just the 50% trait or as Pendragon saw, without… not sure why.

I just got hit with 25 stacks of confusion, right there.

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

I want to add my testing into the process here.

I played around with terror and variable degrees of condition duration from 100% down to 0%. What seemed to be happening, as illogical as it sounds, is that it would randomly tick an additional time more often than not the closer you were to 100%.

So at 50% it would happen most of the time, and 30% it would rarely happen, and at 70% it happened almost every time.

What was even more unusual, is that the number of and stacks of conditions on the mob seemed to make a difference. At around 40%, if I had one bleed on the target, I could never get it to tick twice, but if I had 5-6 bleeds, the second tick would go off every time.

I really wish there was a combat log for conditions which would make testing this easier. At any rate, I will need to spend a lot of time on this to get a picture of what is going on, since this behavior is unlike any other DOT.

I also seemed to have more luck getting DS 3 to tick twice than staff 5… not that that helps the conversation any. Taking guesses from the community on what is going on here. As pendragon mentioned most condition/hybrid players are running at least 50% duration, and if the conditions for getting it to tick twice could be diagnosed, it is a pretty attractive option.

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenyoga.6910

Zenyoga.6910

Lol, 2 ticks of terror with 50% increase terror trait and Lyssa’s 10% duration increase, no need to go into spite which was a false said requirement. And you can get 100% terror buff with out food or making over stretches like was previously thought through, lyssa, 50% terror trait, 25 spite and a sigil that gives 15% stun duration increase.

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Derk.3189

Lol, 2 ticks of terror with 50% increase terror trait and Lyssa’s 10% duration increase, no need to go into spite which was a false said requirement. And you can get 100% terror buff with out food or making over stretches like was previously thought through, lyssa, 50% terror trait, 25 spite and a sigil that gives 15% stun duration increase.

Hmm, before the patch, I’m certain that Lyssa, Nightmare, 20 in spite, and the 50% trait can give 2 ticks of terror. I think the 50% trait multiplies, while the rest add. Sigil of Paralyzation adds 10% not 15% doesn’t it?

(edited by Derk.3189)

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: Glenn.3417

Glenn.3417

Superior sigil of Paralyzation (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigil_of_Paralyzation) gives + 15% stun duration. Are you sure it also applies to Fear?

Champion Phantom – Legionnaire – Genius – Magus

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Derk.3189

Superior sigil of Paralyzation (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigil_of_Paralyzation) gives + 15% stun duration. Are you sure it also applies to Fear?

You’re right, I’ve been staring at the major one the whole time. Way too tired. lol

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

Necro Bump

Just wanted to post up the terror fomula
2+(4.5*level)+(0.3*condi dmg) this will only show the dmg without any other condition on the target
add 50% if they have another condition
then you need to nerf it by 17%

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: Godless.1857

Godless.1857

You know, I didn’t notice at first that this post was from a year ago.

Necro has serious issues with cast times, balance, build diversity, etc. I am not ignoring that, I am focusing on the 1 positive from the last patch that brings some joy to the class (some of us).

Sadly, it feels like little has changed

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: RGPrestige.3406

RGPrestige.3406

Order of operations :

Base damage for terror is:

• 2 + (level * 1.5) = 362 @ 80
  • it is not (2 + level) * 1.5 = 123 @ 80

Infact: 80 *1.5 = 120 + 2 = 122.
362 would be 80 * 4 + 2.
Where did you get 362?

Attachments:

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

Did you really just make this stupid kitten picture to post it in a 8 month old thread? how did you even find this thread?

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

With enough might, I can get Terror to tick for nearly 2k. High 1.4 low 1.5’s with all buffs (guard stacks, corruption, food) and no might. Because certain conditions need to be met in order to have a good amount of might it’s extremely rare that you will tick high 1.9 or low 2k terror but it can be done. Also remember that having conditions on your target increases the damage of Terror.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

I love how ppl stumble upon a random thread, don’t notice how old it is by looking at time stamps and then proceed to post on it like it’s active.
#howtonecrothreads

Säïnt

Terror damage

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Did you really just make this stupid kitten picture to post it in a 8 month old thread? how did you even find this thread?

What’s funny is that his picture is wrong. The “=” sign shows the end of an equation, so you can’t apply Order of Operations to pieces on opposite sides.

So not only did he necro a thread hard, he screwed up when doing it.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver