The Ritualist conspiracy

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

I’m not the first one to think this could be a possibility. It’s been mentioned a few times. A lot of people are paring the ritualist with the revenant, though I’m not so sure that it will be pared with it as its specialization. So I’m going to say that this could be a very real possibility as our specialization.

Primarily the reason people think this is because of Marjory. Looking at the character’s history she as a very strong connection to spirits and the spiritual world. She is a detective and has used her necromancy more as a means to find clues and commune with the dead rather then to reanimate the dead or corrupt flesh like we are currently used to. Then we have further clues with her being of Canthen decent as well as the coloring on her clothing. Notice that it is black, yes but there is a very interesting color choice on part of it. Which is teal. A color associated with the ritualist from GW1. She also has her dead sister’s soul bound to her family sword which seems to give off a bluish aura to it. This is all wild speculation and it could just be a coincidence, but I thought I’d put that out there.

There are disagreements about how they are different. Although ritualist wasn’t a profession before the release of Factions and a few White Mantle Necromancers had the title of “Ritualist”. That doesn’t really mean anything, but Arena Net didn’t go back and rename them to my knowledge, especially playing through those old missions some years after Factions came out.

Now in the lore, this is were it can get a bit tricky. The professions really aren’t very well defined. What skills or trait belongs to what profession has faded over time and doesn’t always mean anything. Communing with spirits is something both Ritualists and necromancers have been known to do. And they even worshiped the same god back in GW1. Their methods may have been different but their end goal seemed to be the same thing. The ritualist was just a bit more specialized with spirits then the necromancer was. There is also the idea that the practices of the ritualist have faded because of the other professions taking on many of their abilities.

Now this is all just a conspiracy theory. I could be grabbing at straws and it could be nothing. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the necromancer’s specialization was in fact the ritualist. I don’t see a lore problem with this either as professions are not as solid and well defined as we, myself included, have previously saw them.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I don’t think its impossible. As you say, Necromancers and Ritualists have a bit of a grey area between them, and Marjory’s greatsword (being imbued with a dead person’s spirit) is pretty Ritualist.

However I don’t think it is likely. Revenant is pretty obviously “Ritualist 2.0”, with Rytlock having gained the power from the Mists and channeling the power of spirits, which is pretty much the special part of Ritualists.

I think at the end of the day, the rest of the “theme” of the specialization will determine it. If the rest of the specialization has to do with spirits then Ritualist makes more sense, but if the rest of it is something like Orders then less so.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

It always felt like mesmers and rangers had taken away the “spirit” part of ritualists. Revenant feel like they’ve got the ash and channeling part. It could be fun that necromancer take the enchant weapon part (well, that is if they can lend it to their party. If it’s again a selfish thing, this won’t do really any good to the necromancer, this will just be a little bit different).

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Rangers had their own spirits that they channeled in GW1, that is spirits of nature, rather than ancestors or particular beings. Basically the difference between summoning fey and summoning ghosts. Both are “spirits”, but are decidedly different.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

You also have to remember the imbued greatsword is not really class specific. It is simply story specific to Marjory. There is no evidence that we will imbue weapons with spirits. I took it as a purely story related piece of lore. Its just a coincidence in my opinion.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Who knows, maybe when we first equip the specialization we have to murder some random person and put their spirit in our greatsword.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Also consider the fact that “Ritualist” might be Revenant’s spec

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Rangers had their own spirits that they channeled in GW1, that is spirits of nature, rather than ancestors or particular beings. Basically the difference between summoning fey and summoning ghosts. Both are “spirits”, but are decidedly different.

Well rangers spirit in gw1 were very different than what they are in GW2. In fact, they were double edge weapon. I miss this part of them (Yes I used to be a spirit ranger slave for monk farmers in the domain of anguish).

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

+1 necro getting love
-1 necro getting love
fatality

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

You also have to remember the imbued greatsword is not really class specific. It is simply story specific to Marjory. There is no evidence that we will imbue weapons with spirits. I took it as a purely story related piece of lore. Its just a coincidence in my opinion.

The greatsword was less of a focus in this one. But Marjory’s detective history where she uses her necromancy to call spirits. You should really read her lore, or if you’re lazy like me, watch woodenpotatoe’s video about her.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I don’t think its impossible. As you say, Necromancers and Ritualists have a bit of a grey area between them, and Marjory’s greatsword (being imbued with a dead person’s spirit) is pretty Ritualist.

However I don’t think it is likely. Revenant is pretty obviously “Ritualist 2.0”, with Rytlock having gained the power from the Mists and channeling the power of spirits, which is pretty much the special part of Ritualists.

I think at the end of the day, the rest of the “theme” of the specialization will determine it. If the rest of the specialization has to do with spirits then Ritualist makes more sense, but if the rest of it is something like Orders then less so.

So the mists are rather expansive. There is a lot of room for expansion. Remember that its a completely other world. Not just “The after life”. I would like orders. Sanguinemancer isn’t out of the question either.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

The greatsword was less of a focus in this one. But Marjory’s detective history where she uses her necromancy to call spirits. You should really read her lore, or if you’re lazy like me, watch woodenpotatoe’s video about her.

Yeah ive read it. I just dont believe we will be seeing weapon embueing. Id say even if we did somehow get ritualists as the spec i dont think we would get anything like that. But im pretty much predicting ritualist will be revenant spec.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Yeah ive read it. I just dont believe we will be seeing weapon embueing. Id say even if we did somehow get ritualists as the spec i dont think we would get anything like that. But im pretty much predicting ritualist will be revenant spec.

Yeah, I didn’t suggest our weapon would be imbued with a spirit.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

It makes sense for revenant. Original spec channels legends, Rit spec summons them

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

If there is any weapon imbuing, all professions will get it and probably through ascended crafting at the cost of an upgrade slot.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

It makes sense for revenant. Original spec channels legends, Rit spec summons them

The ritualist only channeled ancestral legends. at least to my knowledge.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

If there is any weapon imbuing, all professions will get it and probably through ascended crafting at the cost of an upgrade slot.

Again, I never suggested that. And why would a in-combat ability need to be on all professions?

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

It was not my intention to offend you, Lily. I only meant, from a game economy perspective, imbuing weapons is an extremely attractive gold sink so it should be available to all professions but have very limited dps impact.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Gnat.9405

The ritualist only channeled ancestral legends. at least to my knowledge.

Sorry, I was speaking of the hypothetical Ritualist that may be the Revenant.

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

It was not my intention to offend you, Lily. I only meant, from a game economy perspective, imbuing weapons is an extremely attractive gold sink so it should be available to all professions but have very limited dps impact.

I wasn’t looking at it as a special mechanic. I was looking at the story elements of Marjory on what was going on with her. There is a clear distinction between the two. And we should clear up this confusion now. I don’t understand how the confusion even started.

I’m not offended. If I get offended you’ll know. I don’t get offended by forum posts unless its actually something really bad XD

The Ritualist conspiracy

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I’ll be utterly disgusted if Revenants replace Ritualists. Ritualists wear light armor and are super revealing, even the men; they don’t wear hulking plate armor covering all their tattoos and body up.

Moreover ritualists used caster weapons.