The Scythe of Out of Scale.

in Necromancer

Posted by: cobracommander.5861

cobracommander.5861

this is crazy talk it looks amazing, especially on charr.

Darth
Necro
CD-FA-TC-HoD-SoS-TC-FA-SBI-SoS-JQ-ET-SFR-FA-DR

in Necromancer

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

So conjured & spirit weapons are fine.
Necromancy is fine.
Illusions that stab people and explode are fine.
Fire falling from the sky is fine.

But that scythe is too big, it’s unrealistic.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

If anything the scythe is too small. Why can’t we have a 1200 range scythe weapon that melees people with a scythe so large it reaches 1200 range. I want the visuals to be so obnoxiously large that people across the map can see my stupidly massive scythe being swung around.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

If anything the scythe is too small. Why can’t we have a 1200 range scythe weapon that melees people with a scythe so large it reaches 1200 range. I want the visuals to be so obnoxiously large that people across the map can see my stupidly massive scythe being swung around.

LOL, I love the visual image conjured up by that suggestion.

All the clipping. All of it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I love the shroud scythe exactly as is. It’s not a physical object, it’s a magical manifestation and it’s a large part of the visual appeal of the profession for me. I say that even though I am normally a proponent of realistic weapons. I can’t stand the “surfboard” greatswords. But the shroud scythe? It’s not meant to be a realistic weapon wielded in a realistic fashion. It hits me just right in the aesthetic appreciation area of my brain.

Obviously that’s only my subjective opinion. I just hope my opinion prevails this time and we get to keep this beauty intact

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

As a side note, I like how people are complaining about a scythe, an insanely impractical combat weapon that has not once in history seen use on the battlefield as an effective weapon in the normal scythe configuration (only time it was used is as a makeshift polearm with the pointy end sticking straight out instead of a 90° angle) being “unrealistic” as it is magically conjured by someone shrouded in the life force of death.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

It’s a spectral scythe. I doubt it weigts much if anything at all.

I like how it is now.

yep. its not an actual physical weapon.
i dig it.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Necromancer

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

As a side note, I like how people are complaining about a scythe, an insanely impractical combat weapon that has not once in history seen use on the battlefield as an effective weapon in the normal scythe configuration (only time it was used is as a makeshift polearm with the pointy end sticking straight out instead of a 90° angle) being “unrealistic” as it is magically conjured by someone shrouded in the life force of death.

Honestly, I laugh about that from time to time. I don’t bring it up in the forum, but a “weapon” designed to lowly cut crops by rotating in a non-aggressive manner is about the definition of “silly” to me.

FEAR MEH

Alright meow, where were we?

in Necromancer

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Agreed. Pick up a 15 foot pole and try to swing it around. It is simply not feasible, and it looks silly in a game that tries to be logical.

Does this game try to be logical? It’s high fantasy lol. And I’m pretty sure our scythes is not ACTUAL scythes of wood and iron/steel/mithril w/e. They’re created from magic or something necromancy. They’re probably as light as they need to be. Maybe they don’t weigh anything at all?

Not sure why were talking about logic and speed of light about a fantasy based video game? Logic would say that no one dashes around spinning a giant scythe like a helicopter, but in “the video game”, it sure is fun to do. I don’t know anyone in the real world who wields a 15 foot blade of death and mayhem, and slams it down on someones noodle, killing them and creating ice. But once again pretty satisfying to do in “a game”.
The large nutty reaper scythe effects are one of the things I like best about the specialization. Why be like other professions. reaper is reaper, let him/her be that.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

He’s bringing up how ridiculous it is to nitpick a magic game not being “realistic” or “logical” when the game fairly obviously doesn’t do that at any point.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

Looks like 2 kinds of people in this thread. Those saying the length is an eyesore that makes them feel uncomfortable, and those that simply like it.

Interestingly, had this weapon been 2x the height of a character instead of 4x to begin with, I don’t think any of these current likers would be making threads about how it’s too small.

The physics, realism and reach don’t matter. The aesthetic appearance of this weapon in it’s standing form is awful, enough for a ton of people asking it to be adjusted. It should be adjusted.

(edited by SneakyTouchy.6043)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Looks like 2 kinds of people in this thread. Those saying the length is an eyesore that makes them feel uncomfortable, and those that simply like it.

Interestingly, had this weapon been 2x the height of a character instead of 4x to begin with, I don’t think any of these current likers would be making threads about how it’s too small.

The physics, realism and reach don’t matter. The aesthetic appearance of this weapon in it’s standing form is awful, enough for a ton of people asking it to be adjusted. It should be adjusted.

I think you’d be right if it weren’t for one thing. The length matches the radius of the strike.

I can’t tell you how frustrated I get when The Ettin hits me with his pudgy cudgel from 3X it’s length away from him. I think the practicality of an animation matching the effect is quite an important thing in a game.

Is the scythe goofy long? yup, is the entire shroud kinda goofy/kitten, yup. Doesn’t bother me. I’m far more bothered by all the gaudy items in the game.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I think you’d be right if it weren’t for one thing. The length matches the radius of the strike.

I can’t tell you how frustrated I get when The Ettin hits me with his pudgy cudgel from 3X it’s length away from him. I think the practicality of an animation matching the effect is quite an important thing in a game.

Is the scythe goofy long? yup, is the entire shroud kinda goofy/kitten, yup. Doesn’t bother me. I’m far more bothered by all the gaudy items in the game.

They could easily just add a green ‘swoosh’ to the outside of each reaper attack to show the actual range. That would be a far better alternative to the current option imo.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

They could easily just add a green ‘swoosh’ to the outside of each reaper attack to show the actual range. That would be a far better alternative to the current option imo.

So we’re asking for realistic and we’re saying “ohh it’s some weird shockwave effect” ok…

in Necromancer

Atherakhia.4086

So we’re asking for realistic and we’re saying “ohh it’s some weird shockwave effect” ok…

I never asked for realistic. A scythe in general isn’t a realistic weapon. I’m asking for it to not look goofy.

in Necromancer

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

I never asked for realistic. A scythe in general isn’t a realistic weapon. I’m asking for it to not look goofy.

You think it looks goofy and I think it looks kitten, you see how that works?

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Necromancer

Atherakhia.4086

You think it looks goofy and I think it looks kitten, you see how that works?

Right, and you’re wrong. See how that works?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Given mesmers use magic to make their greatsword levitate for their attack animations I’m not seeing why the size of a weapon composed of magical energy is breaking someone’s suspension of disbelief.

Who is to say it’s even cutting the body? That massive, weightless mass of energy could be cleaving the target’s soul to rupture their flesh and organs with each swing. Don’t think of it as a physical object, think of it as magic manifested in the form of a giant scythe.

And even if it was a solid object the necromancer could just levitate it in his hands to alleviate the object’s weight on the user.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Phrozenspite.6275

Phrozenspite.6275

Well, I think it looks fine. If you want “logical” and want to quantify something to making complete sense then i think you’re playing the wrong game. Now, if think about this from an occult view, if you want to make it “logical” (sense Necromancy is a form of magic and an aspect of the occult/magic/sorcery) we can bring in the logic and ideas used in such things.

If we did do this, then we could look at the Scythe as a magical manifestation of a persons will, just as common practitioners use Athame/dagger/wand/swords, and a variety of other tools. Now, the general idea is that such items, physical or of magical creation, are a manifestation of the persons Will and allow it to be directed in the manner they so chose. A staff that is 15 to 20 feet tall might seem like it would weigh an obtuse amount, though only it if was physical, which in this sense it is obviously a manifestation of the necromancer.

The Scythe would be a tool allowing the Reaper to direct his will in a manner that suited him to his style (as in, the Scythe being seen as a common symbol/weapon of death). The tool being used is only a medium to the will of the Necromancer/Reaper. It moves as fast as the necromancer can perform a spell, or dictate something that it is he wants done. Hence, the time it takes to cast a spell or a swing of the huge scythe, it isn’t that it takes that long to swing that, it’s all magic being done. It takes time for the magic and the Will to be done, the Scythe has little to do with it.

At least if you want to talk about logic behind it as a weapon. I think it looks pretty sick, I enjoy it.