The power necromancer situation

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

Hey guys,

In the last 2 weeks I try helplessly contact Anet and complain about this(yes im that desperate).

Thing is, I think they balancing Necros in general according to condi necros rather than looking on the bigger picture. Which means that power necros get no attantion at all, which result in potencially losing the power side of necros for good. I started to worry about it when they nerfed “Rise!”, which to me is only because condi necros been too strong with it.

In my opinion, the thing they can do to balance out the power vs condi necro is to add to power traits such as Decimate defense, close to death, deadly strength or even Vampiric rituals and/or to add to greatsword/axe skills. What comes in my mind is to add stability on some of them for example nightfall on GS should tick stab on yourself.
Or make trait that wells gives stab to your party or just to you on use.

What do you guys think? does it make sense to you lot? or you think it is not enough? or you entirely think this is not the way? if so what is?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

stability should be a given for any necro because their defense is based around hitting. Condi necro will not suddenly be OP with stability. Condition cleanses are a thing, which is why I had no sympathy of whiners in season 2 because the majority of builds then had less cleanses then the accepted condition food pre-hot engi. I’m not sure about season 3 since I took a break then.

The reason why power necro suffers is because it lacks a role, they don’t synergise well with boon corruption which is basically the only competitve aspect necro has left. Lack of stability and focus fireability combined with lack of a decent ranged option will mean they will be even more simply singled out.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Sandrox.9524

stability should be a given for any necro because their defense is based around hitting. Condi necro will not suddenly be OP with stability. Condition cleanses are a thing, which is why I had no sympathy of whiners in season 2 because the majority of builds then had less cleanses then the accepted condition food pre-hot engi. I’m not sure about season 3 since I took a break then.

The reason why power necro suffers is because it lacks a role, they don’t synergise well with boon corruption which is basically the only competitve aspect necro has left. Lack of stability and focus fireability combined with lack of a decent ranged option will mean they will be even more simply singled out.

That is why when you add stab jsut to power aspects, power necro will have a role.

in Necromancer

Tim.6450

That is why when you add stab jsut to power aspects, power necro will have a role.

with what? Boon corruption is strong enough to be a role on it’s own in a boon heavy meta and is very difficult to replace. What will power necro role be that is relevnt and can’t be replaced easily by something which another class can do better.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Sandrox.9524

with what? Boon corruption is strong enough to be a role on it’s own in a boon heavy meta and is very difficult to replace. What will power necro role be that is relevnt and can’t be replaced easily by something which another class can do better.

When you add stab to the already sustained power necro you can be affective as bunker busting while staying on point. This will make power necros a really somthing to be feared in close range and not some ball you toss around.

if you havent noticed, boon corruption is dead. since Heralds.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I think Necromancer can work with the stability it has but power builds need more burst at the start. There are several traits that modify damage for foes below a health threshold but none above.

The burst could be anything.

• corrupt a boon on critical hits when target is above 90 percent health.
  • Wells can be traited to deliver their effects in 1/3 the time.
  • Death Nova’s poison field can be modified by Terror or Dhuumfire to cause Terror or Burning.
  • Siphons and leaches do twice the damage when the target health is more than 75 per cent.
  • Axe’s Unholy Fervor gives double duration of cripple and retaliation versus foes at 100 percent health.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Or they could just change lich form and plague form into :

lich form : instant. no more transformation. Lich form grant you a 10% direct damage and condi damage buff for x seconds. While under lich form, gain stability for 3 second every 3 second.

Plague form : instant. no more transformation. Plague form grant you a buff that reduce incoming damage by 50% and poison attackers for 3-4 second each time you’re struck. While under plague form, gain stability for 3 second every 3 second.

Obviously the 2 new form also work while you are in shroud. In my opinion, just these tiny change should help a lot the necromancer. It feel like nothing but it give reliable stability, allow a choice between defense and offense, remove the horrendous lich skin… etc.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Or they could just change lich form and plague form into :

lich form : instant. no more transformation. Lich form grant you a 10% direct damage and condi damage buff for x seconds. While under lich form, gain stability for 3 second every 3 second.

Plague form : instant. no more transformation. Plague form grant you a buff that reduce incoming damage by 50% and poison attackers for 3-4 second each time you’re struck. While under plague form, gain stability for 3 second every 3 second.

Obviously the 2 new form also work while you are in shroud. In my opinion, just these tiny change should help a lot the necromancer. It feel like nothing but it give reliable stability, allow a choice between defense and offense, remove the horrendous lich skin… etc.

I had a similar idea but with Lich form make it a party buff with the +10% damage/condi damage buff.

Edit: I hate forms and really wish they’d replace them like they did with Guardian Tomes.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

(edited by Lahmia.2193)

in Necromancer

Tim.6450

When you add stab to the already sustained power necro you can be affective as bunker busting while staying on point. This will make power necros a really somthing to be feared in close range and not some ball you toss around.

And how will the power necro achieve this? with unblockables or what mechanic? With which build? What’s preventing another class like warrior to take this role?

Also sustain and power necro? how do you achieve that especially in group fights?

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Sandrox.9524

And how will the power necro achieve this? with unblockables or what mechanic? With which build? What’s preventing another class like warrior to take this role?

Also sustain and power necro? how do you achieve that especially in group fights?

Warriors are head on fighters which deals heavy dmg to single target and can burst couple of targets . but targets with stab protection or aegis would be harder for warriors to compete while necros have the option to corrupt those. you also have more sustain than warrior if you manage your shroud well.

How do I achive sustain? play with my teammates, managing my shroud and using build which benefit my teammates and me.

in Necromancer

Tim.6450

Warriors are head on fighters which deals heavy dmg to single target and can burst couple of targets . but targets with stab protection or aegis would be harder for warriors to compete while necros have the option to corrupt those.

Wait but you said yourself boon corruption is dead.

you also have more sustain than warrior if you manage your shroud well.

Also more sustain then warrior? I doubt that.

How do I achive sustain? play with my teammates, managing my shroud and using build which benefit my teammates and me.

That’s an answer that says absolutely nothing.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

As a power necro using a focus and well of corruption, in a 1v1 situation against a herald I win 8 or 9 times out of 10.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mikhael.2391

Mikhael.2391

how do you win against a revenant as a power reaper? because i only win if they are really bad.

in Necromancer

Hesacon.8735

how do you win against a revenant as a power reaper? because i only win if they are really bad.

Focus #5 removes 3 boons and chills, well of corruption converts boons to conditions including stability to fear. I also use an axe, and axe #3 converts a boon to condition.

Once stripped of their boons, revs go down easy with spike damage like axe #2 or switching to shroud and going to town. Alternatively, dagger #3 removes 2 boons and immobilizes.

I also don’t use power reaper, as I find base necro to be better for how I like to play. This build has proven to beat revs 8-9 times out of 10 in roaming situations in wvw. I don’t think it would work in spvp because of how spvp’s mechanics work.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRUQNAndWjc0Oaqst22SbsxmWaD/t/2RtQRHj5oalDxYHwwEIAmBA-T1DFQBKRpGBeAApRHg+U/pBHBgSohIPaCSiyg2oFQAHiAFqkgd7PAgTgAWUC6ONIBAQAuZb2m3MASB80WA-w

in Necromancer

Posted by: Frozen.1347

Frozen.1347

Good revs would eat this build alive. No stunbreaker, no stab, no mobility, no defense and relying on high casttime abilities and wells, both easy to avoid, to kill an enemy won’t work against anybody with a decent build who knows how to play – rev or any other class. You would get cc’ed and bursted to death before you even get a chance to remove some boons.

(edited by Frozen.1347)

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Power necros need better burst rotations as well as active/passive defense. I look at our burst rotations, pretty much all other power builds perform better. This idea that somehow we could slowly ramp up our damage while sustaining in the heat of battles is kind of outdated. Post-HoT we performed fine during the bunker meta. But now that everybody’s playing more bursty, you can really feel the heat.

I look at revs, they can burst while having evade frames. I look at warriors, they can burst with stab and heal for lots while bursting, with resistance as backup. Guardians, active/passive blocks, daze, and lots of heals while going through their burst rotations. Druids, stealth & heals, enough said, as if druids even needed stealth in the first place.

And here we are, our power builds just stomp around like giant targets, easily focused, trained, interrupted, tugged, pushed, dazed, stunned, and perma immobed. They should’ve never nerfed RS 3 duration & cd, these nerfs ruined a lot of our combo’s because lack of stab means our burst gets interrupted more often. They should’ve never nerfed our chill duration, chill in itself without damage is nothing to sneeze at, I blame this on Anet’s overhanded way at nerfing things. And also ice field from executioner’s scythe nerfed so “keeping enemies close” became a joke, it’s harder to blast for frost aura & chilling bolts because it doesn’t last long now.

All these nerfs were in retaliation to condi necro’s dominance in season 2 (which was also Anet’s fault for buffing condi in the first place). For as squishy as we are, we honestly should have better burst rotations with our own block/invuln/evade frames.

Power necros need better burst rotations & active/passive defense. Unfortunately it would seem Anet wants us to play condi builds. You see they’ve created this monstrosity that is HoT expansion and they gave classes access to near perma boons. So we’re pushed into doing 1 thing and 1 thing only these days, corrupt boons. Anet needs us to corrupt boons for their mess up with HoT elite spec builds.

(edited by gavyne.6847)

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

8-9 times out of 10 in roaming situations in wvw. I don’t think it would work in spvp because of how spvp’s mechanics work.

Yeah I was gonna say, Hesacon was talking about WvW roaming. WvW and sPvP are vastly different. In WvW necros can tank up and use things they can’t use in sPvP, namely foods and certain stats combination. Also most of the revs you bump into in WvW use hammer rather than the standard sPvP combo sword/shield + staff. They’re a lot easier to kill, and most of them only know how to zerg, spam hammer 2’s, and pop boons.

There was a time early in HoT launch when I really enjoyed fighting revs on my power reaper, because they were always fast paced & exciting fights that lasted quite awhile. I always ran some sort of signet build so boon corruption was readily available as corrupt boons is key to beating revs. But necros went through lots of nerfs since then, most were done due to condi but power got hurt badly as a result.

(edited by gavyne.6847)

in Necromancer

Hesacon.8735

Good revs would eat this build alive. No stunbreaker, no stab, no mobility, no defense and relying on high casttime abilities and wells, both easy to avoid, to kill an enemy won’t work against anybody with a decent build who knows how to play – rev or any other class. You would get cc’ed and bursted to death before you even get a chance to remove some boons.

You say that, but I can’t remember the last time I’ve lost to a rev. I know I have, but it hasn’t been recently.

in Necromancer

Frozen.1347

WvW is full of terrible players who only know how to spam 1 (and in case of rev maybe even 2) in zergs, so that might be an explanation.

in Necromancer

Hesacon.8735

WvW is full of terrible players who only know how to spam 1 (and in case of rev maybe even 2) in zergs, so that might be an explanation.

It might be, but if we’re being dismissive of everyone in wvw you could argue any build would work, which makes the entire discussion fruitless.

in Necromancer

Frozen.1347

Actually it is true that to some extent any build can work in WvW. Doesn’t mean, any build is good.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mikhael.2391

Mikhael.2391

I will try that build but i still think a good rev is gonna win 9 out of 10 because if they are bad i beat them easily with my current build. Problem is a good rev will cc necros too much

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

no Necro/Reaper has any sustain dosent matter if u go Condi or Power, we never had n we will never have..

ppl saying Necro has sustain and Anet talking about the class as that are usually referring to Shroud as 2nd life-bar but Anet knows and most Necros aswell that in reality that counts for very little in terms of sustain.

sustain is strong healing & mainly hard Invuns somethin the Necro/Reaper dosent have. Plz adress the class as a sustain class when its absolutely not, its a dmg-dealing class wich functions best in the hands of an aggressive player. When focused it will drop faster then most other classes due to no hard Invuns and no apperent getaway skills and no movement to speak of.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQRBHbhG2JHNQnNYNNg1mA9mYpWwi3ijxzIVbYOUGgSABgZAA-TJRBQBOsMAN2fgCnEAA8EAAA

Necromancer has plenty of sustain if you trait for it. Constant Might generation will regen LF/Hp via Blighter’s Boon, Foot In The Grave will be your main stunbreak, there are ways to deal with pretty much anything in this build. PS. The well is only to be used on downed ppl for stomping/ressing. And the Spite master trait is up for debate, I’ve tried all 3 of them.

What it does lack is clear dmg spikes while out of shroud, it is more of a pressure build. Great at 1v1 situations but lacks punch in teamfights. The only 1v1’s you lose is against good thieves because they really have few boons to corrupt, and your sustain can’t keep up with thief DPS. Not to mention they can just shrug off that chill.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

“The only 1v1’s you lose is against good thieves”

That its just not true, looking at your build Warrior,Good Revs, Mediocres Druids and ANY Condi mesmers will wreck this build in 1v1

sry but yea

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Sandrox.9524

Warriors are head on fighters which deals heavy dmg to single target and can burst couple of targets . but targets with stab protection or aegis would be harder for warriors to compete while necros have the option to corrupt those.

Wait but you said yourself boon corruption is dead.

you also have more sustain than warrior if you manage your shroud well.

Also more sustain then warrior? I doubt that.

That’s an answer that says absolutely nothing.

boon corrupt is dead cuz every 2nd player in spvp takes herald. and I am not talking about 1v1 here this game is not about 1v1. I kill heralds 1v1 fairly easy managing my stab and dodges against thier CC but the problem occur when you have 3 guys on point one is herald one is random other class and you now need to corrupt more which is ridiculous and when you do they just regain it so basically in pvp match if you up against herald yoour corrupt skills are useless unless you fighting against classes which are not herald. and you rarly see no herald in spvp match.

And what i said is answering your question managing your shroud+having teammate for example tempest to provide swift protection regen and w/e can give you alot of sustain I once held off 10 ppl in wvw with tempest 2v10 we won and i have it on record even. And I was almost full berserker.

Suggestion:
What if we will have health regen on shroud? I mean it is kinda stupid that mobility classes can just run away or hide behind obstacles when we are on shroud, they need to have the urge to fight us when we are on it…..

in Necromancer

Sandrox.9524

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQRBHbhG2JHNQnNYNNg1mA9mYpWwi3ijxzIVbYOUGgSABgZAA-TJRBQBOsMAN2fgCnEAA8EAAA

Necromancer has plenty of sustain if you trait for it. Constant Might generation will regen LF/Hp via Blighter’s Boon, Foot In The Grave will be your main stunbreak, there are ways to deal with pretty much anything in this build. PS. The well is only to be used on downed ppl for stomping/ressing. And the Spite master trait is up for debate, I’ve tried all 3 of them.

What it does lack is clear dmg spikes while out of shroud, it is more of a pressure build. Great at 1v1 situations but lacks punch in teamfights. The only 1v1’s you lose is against good thieves because they really have few boons to corrupt, and your sustain can’t keep up with thief DPS. Not to mention they can just shrug off that chill.

“good thieves”-meaning all those thieves who knows to just stay away when you on Reaper Shroud and steal your stab when you have it? yeah no need ot be good for knowing that

in Necromancer

Yannir.4132

“The only 1v1’s you lose is against good thieves”

That its just not true, looking at your build Warrior,Good Revs, Mediocres Druids and ANY Condi mesmers will wreck this build in 1v1

sry but yea

That’s just not true. Condi warrior is probably the easiest duel to win with this build. Corrupt their resi/stab, and they are as good as dead. You can also fling every one of their condis back to them. You can easily stack 25 might, which means you are also sitting on 750 condi damage. The further the fight goes on, the bigger your advantage is.

Same goes for the mesmers, unless they really are good. Like Lord Helseth level of good. But a good mesmer is a god, so I would say that’s true for any situation you can think of. On the other hand, a bad mesmer is even more useless than a bad thief.

That said, I may have oversold it anyway. DH, good thieves, power warriors and revenants can indeed counter it since it is weak to bursts, especially when you are low on LF. Shroud is basically your only defensive cooldown against burst. Given the prevalence of DH in the current meta, you may wanna stick to condi-builds. Just saying power isn’t nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

All classes lvl 80.

in Necromancer

Yannir.4132

“good thieves”-meaning all those thieves who knows to just stay away when you on Reaper Shroud and steal your stab when you have it? yeah no need ot be good for knowing that

Yeah no, that is not a very good thief. Your most abundant Stab comes from RS, so that statement doesn’t even make sense.

All classes lvl 80.

in Necromancer

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

That’s just not true. Condi warrior is probably the easiest duel to win with this build. Corrupt their resi/stab, and they are as good as dead. You can also fling every one of their condis back to them. You can easily stack 25 might, which means you are also sitting on 750 condi damage. The further the fight goes on, the bigger your advantage is.

The build in question has one condition transfer every 20 seconds (staff 4) that can be avoided with a lucky evade, but even if you transfer their conditions back to them they have two sources of resistance. You’re probably not going to win the RNG lottery and keep getting your limited boon removals on Axe 3/Focus 5 to hit their resistance/stability, and even if you do, their stability is pulsing, so it just gets instantly reapplied. (I don’t mention the well’s corruption, because if the warrior is just STANDING in your well throughout its entire duration, he’s horrible and it doesn’t count.)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

What would you think if Power necros had a trait that provided a lot of, and augmented the effects of Retaliation to be more potent? Obviously this is a small change in the face of many issues. But it could be welcomed none the less.

NSPride <3

in Necromancer

Sandrox.9524

Yeah no, that is not a very good thief. Your most abundant Stab comes from RS, so that statement doesn’t even make sense.

You know……thief steal skill that thingy that with that trait that umm….steal boons? which they can ummm… steal and still stay away afterwards? so in your eyes good thief fight toe to toe with reaper shroud. Yeah…dont sell this BS to me, sell it to ppl in thief forum so you will kill them….

in Necromancer

Yannir.4132

You know……thief steal skill that thingy that with that trait that umm….steal boons? which they can ummm… steal and still stay away afterwards? so in your eyes good thief fight toe to toe with reaper shroud. Yeah…dont sell this BS to me, sell it to ppl in thief forum so you will kill them….

Are intentionally trolling me or are you just stupid? I never even implied that.

All classes lvl 80.

in Necromancer

Sandrox.9524

Are intentionally trolling me or are you just stupid? I never even implied that.

Yep, misread your comment sorry for that.

in Necromancer

Posted by: wwDefuser.2056

wwDefuser.2056

#First of all: Necro needs a Signet for Elite Skill !
Mesmer, Warrior, Elementalist, Druid… all of them have standard and elite signets/glyphes.
So simply add one for necros pls.+

1. Dodge and blockspam of mesmer, Revenant, DH, … made the Necro-Axe skills awfull.
  2. Lich-form aswell as plague need an update. Since there is so much burst condi dmg, cc and booncorruption ingame plague loses its use for bunkering/sustain.
  3. update minion-only traits with something that helps necro without minions.
  4. update cooldowns for traits that cause fear to enemys when cc’d and that Fear trait (longer fear duration) cause its been useless since there is so much stability and stun break.
  5. let people switch between DS and Reapershroud regardless of the used traitlines
  6. rework dagger skill #2 … its dumb.

:)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

#First of all: Necro needs a Signet for Elite Skill !
Mesmer, Warrior, Elementalist, Druid… all of them have standard and elite signets/glyphes.

All professions are missing 2 elites and heal skills. With any luck Anet will add them at some point.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Yannir.4132

Yep, misread your comment sorry for that.

Thank you. I forgive you. ^^

All classes lvl 80.

(edited by Yannir.4132)