Thinking about using Decaying Swarm

in Necromancer

Posted by: lettucemode.3789

lettucemode.3789

So I think the general consensus concerning this trait is that it’s not worth the 20 points into SR and is outclassed by the other trait choices at that level. However, I’ve been thinking about bringing my Facemelter build (link in sig) into WvW and I think this trait would be the best replacement for Master of Terror (which I am switching out because of Rare Veggie Pizza). It seems like it would help out a lot with escaping those narrow situations since the build has no sources of swiftness ordinarily, plus the high condition duration I already have would help stack up the cripples. Given that I don’t have much room to play with traits, an extra way to kite enemies would be most welcome.

Are there any necros out there right now that use this trait? What are your experiences with it?

Sanctum of Rall
Builds: Facemelter Watch The Health Bar

(edited by lettucemode.3789)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I use it in my DS oriented build sometimes. It works ok and saves me from having to run warhorn anymore (I was previously using it for the swarm to generate/sustain LF and get the speed boost). All in all, it isn’t a bad skill, the only thing that hurts it sometimes is the fact it only activates at 25% health as opposed to the 50% of last gasp. I haven’t confirmed an internal cooldown on it, but I strongly suspect there is one and it’s most likely the 90 second one because it doesn’t work very frequently (or doesn’t seem to anyway).

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

locust swarm also procs alot of life steals when you’re traited into blood. Plus with a high crit build it can do alot of damage. So its actually a pretty good choice to get an extra locust swarm.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Skyro.3108

Skyro.3108

I would actually highly recommend Soul Marks instead.

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

Because staff is a really good weapon….

in Necromancer

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Its the best weapon necros have, also 60% life force in 5 seconds is no weak thing.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Laii.2780

Laii.2780

I used this trait a couple times for fun, its a nice way to get a little HP an LF back when you’re desperate and have vampiric trait~ It pulses 1% LF every second every time it tags something. Its also hilarious if you get roflstomped and it procs right as you go down cause it hits ppl that try to stomp you^^.

I prefer death shroud cooldowns an specral cooldowns myself for Soul Reaping thos, i’d like the trait more if it activated @ 50% instead of 25%. Activiating @25% in a duel against a theif is a single backstab so wont save you~ They did give it a much bigger range tho a patch or so ago, fun to run thru zergs with the horn version^^

My staff auto attack crits for 1300-1500 depending on 50% below hp or not, and travels thru 5+ ppl in/ a zerg. 7500 damage auto attack with 1500 range? kthxbai >3

[CERN] ~ WAR/Necro^ O ^)/!

in Necromancer

spoj.9672

I used this trait a couple times for fun, its a nice way to get a little HP an LF back when you’re desperate and have vampiric trait~ It pulses 1% LF every second every time it tags something. Its also hilarious if you get roflstomped and it procs right as you go down cause it hits ppl that try to stomp you^^.

I prefer death shroud cooldowns an specral cooldowns myself for Soul Reaping thos, i’d like the trait more if it activated @ 50% instead of 25%. Activiating @25% in a duel against a theif is a single backstab so wont save you~ They did give it a much bigger range tho a patch or so ago, fun to run thru zergs with the horn version^^

My staff auto attack crits for 1300-1500 depending on 50% below hp or not, and travels thru 5+ ppl in/ a zerg. 7500 damage auto attack with 1500 range? kthxbai >3

and is very slow and weak compared to other weapons, ignoring piercing. Its a utility weapon not a dps weapon. You dont need lifeforce on marks anyway you get it plenty fast enough with other things like locust swarm or dagger auto attack.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Laii.2780

Laii.2780

and is very slow and weak compared to other weapons, ignoring piercing. Its a utility weapon not a dps weapon. You dont need lifeforce on marks anyway you get it plenty fast enough with other things like locust swarm or dagger auto attack.

Ignoring piercing, is like ignoring cleave on a great sword. They both account for alot of extra damage . You are right tho about lifeforce on marks, i never really had fun with this as they I play zerk-staff-well necro there’s plenty of things dying all around me that fill up LF^^.
If i’m in a buld there’s more for roaming or dueling and filling up your life force really fast is a matter of life or death Focus 4 is a free 15% and Spectral grasp is another free 10%~ (both of which can be traited to have realy low timers^^) Dagger 1 spam is also really good at getting lf on top of that^^

[CERN] ~ WAR/Necro^ O ^)/!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I use this trait in builds that either don’t use staff (some of my bunker builds), or have a lot of crit/on hit siphoning, because of how much siphoning a Decaying Swarm can give you with siphon on crit+siphon on hit with high siphoning.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: War Mourner.5168

War Mourner.5168

I used this trait before the hp trigger fix (it didn’t give swiftness back then though), but stopped using it shortly after said fix. I found that with such a low hp trigger it’s far to reactive of a trait, and doesn’t help considerably when playing offensively.

I tested it a while ago, and the ICD was 90 seconds or something (it’s in some old thread if anyone can be bothered looking) which is another considerable negative.