Thoughts on Reaper Chilling Nova, chills

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Hey I want to know you all’s opinion on Chilling Nova and some of the other traits in the Reaper specialization regarding chills.

1) Chilling Nova explodes Chills when you crit a target effected by Chill. it spreads chill for 3 seconds to nearby enemies as well.
But with current Chill Duration in the game, and how it also rely on RNG for crit to proc this, how effective is this?

2)Shivers of Dread causes fear to also chill for 3 seconds. This may be good for fearing targets and keeping them close. But isnt this counterproductive to the next minor trait, which is Cold Shoulder? Since they running away from you, the 15% damage reduction for the duration of the chill is not being used on the feared targets on defense.

3)Chilling Force, allows Reapers to generate might when attacking a foe with chill on them. This could be good if you are using Great Sword auto which apply chill to enemies. Also RS’s #5 skill is great for applying chill to the area for AoE. Same for Staff and Focus. Seem like a good trait. Any thoughts on this trait?

4)Cold Shoulder increases Chill duration by 20%, which doesnt seem like a lot with the number of smaller durations in the game. Also this increase damage reduction by 15%. That 15% damage reduction seems a bit small for GS spamming Reaper. Perhaps its meant more for RS. But does RS have damage reduction baseline at all? If it was intentionally meant for keeping the out of shroud GS Reapers alive, perhaps the damage reduction values should be separated between RS and Outside RS Reaper, similar to how Relentless Pursuit trait works in the Reaper Specialization.

5)Deadly Chill makes it so chill does damage now. How does this damage calculated? thats whats confusing to me. Can anybody explain?

6)Executioner’s Scythe is RS#5 skill and apply an AoE chill in melee range radius. But it has a short duration on chill. Shorter than a lot of animation delays in the game. So how effective is this chill for Chilling Force, and Cold Shoulder?

7)Death Charge which replaces Dark Path as RS #2 no longer chills for the longer duration chill. Long Duration Chills are better for Cold Shoulder’s duration increase. But I guess this meant to make Curses seem better for Chilling Darkness.

8)Chilling Scythe is GS third auto attack, with 2 second chill. Which is slightly longer duration than the auto attack. Not sure about after cast delay.

9)Grasping Darkness is GS 5. Has 4 second Chill which is pretty good. I still believe the Single Target range on this should be increased, while keeping the AoE element range of this the same.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

Hey I want to know you all’s opinion on Chilling Nova and some of the other traits in the Reaper specialization regarding chills.

1) Chilling Nova explodes Chills when you crit a target effected by Chill. it spreads chill for 2 seconds to nearby enemies as well.
But with current Chill Duration in the game, and how it also rely on RNG for crit to proc this, how effective is this?
With in game duration this skill will spread between 2.4~3.4s of chill in an aoe to 5 targets. As a reaper proccing this trait every 10s isnt difficult because of how much chill you actually have access to. The procs only condition is to crit a chilled target so its easy to get.

2)Shivers of Dread causes fear to also chill for 3 seconds. This may be good for fearing targets and keeping them close. But isnt this counterproductive to the next minor trait, which is Cold Shoulder? Since they running away from you, the 15% damage reduction for the duration of the chill is not being used on the feared targets on defense.
The chill, with duration lasts between 3.6 and 5.1s. You may think you can chain fears for longer effects but the trait has no ICD and will chill for every fear effect you do . Fear durations are not as long so you will make use of the damage reduction if they decide to counter attack when it ends.

3)Chilling Force, allows Reapers to generate might when attacking a foe with chill on them. This could be good if you are using Great Sword auto which apply chill to enemies. Also RS’s #5 skill is great for applying chill to the area for AoE. Same for Staff and Focus. Seem like a good trait. Any thoughts on this trait?
It i a good trait, it allows you to sustain well when taken with blighters boon and with the recent increase in its base duration you can use this trait to get some decent might instead of taking the spite line so it opens up options for a few other things if you still want some might generation. The way this was changed it has a 1s ICD but work for the entire strike so if you hit 5 targets that are chilled you will gain 5 might and the next 1s you can gain another 5might etc etc.

4)Cold Shoulder increases Chill duration by 20%, which doesnt seem like a lot with the number of smaller durations in the game. Also this increase damage reduction by 10%. That damage reduction seems a bit small for GS spamming Reaper. Perhaps its meant more for RS. But does RS have damage reduction baseline at all? If it was intentionally meant for keeping the out of shroud GS Reapers alive, perhaps the damage reduction values should be separated between RS and Outside RS Reaper, similar to how Relentless Pursuit trait works in the Reaper Specialization.
Free duration is free. It lets your chills last longer without having to gear or trait for it at all and allows you to hit very high duration increases in pvp. I dont get why you think 10 damage reduction is small though. Can be the difference between living and dying. It also stacks with other damage reduction sources since as RS/DS innate 50%, protection, putrid defence etc etc

5)Deadly Chill makes it so chill does damage now. How does this damage calculated? thats whats confusing to me. Can anybody explain?
a quick wiki check would show it works of condition damage. It does around 1.5~2 stacks of burn in damage

6)Executioner’s Scythe is RS#5 skill and apply an AoE chill in melee range radius. But it has a short duration on chill. Shorter than a lot of animation delays in the game. So how effective is this chill for Chilling Force, and Cold Shoulder?
the field will pulse aoe chill every second for 5 seconds resulting in a total chill time of 6s if someone stands in it. You can combo this field with either RS#2 for frost aura so more chill and damage reduction or RS#4 for 12 whirling bolts that apply chill. If you take the vuln on chill trait this will max out vuln on a few targets very very quickly.

7)Death Charge which replaces Dark Path as RS #2 no longer chills for the longer duration chill. Long Duration Chills are better for Cold Shoulder’s duration increase. But I guess this meant to make Curses seem better for Chilling Darkness.
In most cases RS#2 > DS#2 but the aoe blind does incentivize using chilling darkness. Its 2.4~3.4s of aoe chill

8)Chilling Scythe is GS third auto attack, with 2 second chill. Which is slightly longer duration than the auto attack. Not sure about after cast delay.
This ability is sometimes hard to land seeing as the entire chain takes 3s to complete. Great in pve though

in Necromancer

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

I may be misunderstanding you, but are you complaining that we don’t get the -15% damage taken buff against targets that are currently running away in fear?

in Necromancer

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

1: Duration decreased from 15 to 10 for next BW, we will see the difference.
2: This is supplement to the whole, also it kind of helps fearing foes not to go to far from you. Still I dont like it much. Could be something more interesting.
3: Is pretty good.
4: Will be better if its changed to " All chill duration is increased by 1sec.) Because you are right, currently most hills will get 0,2 -0,3 increase which is less then nothing.
5: Its damage per sec of the duration of the chill. It was to low, need to test the new increased damage values next beta.
6: This is fantastic skill. Stun + chill(initial chill is there to prevent players from moving away) and most importantly Ice field which you can blast. Your combo is to use this skill and then use skill4 for multiple chills on foes around you its perfect chill generator.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

I guess i will just go though your list and post my thoughts on it.

1.) I dont think chilling nova is good in most scenarios.

2.) Well fear in general is counterprouctive for reapers, who want to stay close to there opponents. But fear is kinda a core conditions for necros so they wanted to minimize the punishment of fear for reapers hence the trait. Also the chill is longer then our (untraited) fears so there is still some synergy (not that it matters much) with cold shoulders (which by the way is only 10%).

3.) In the bwe it was really good in pvp but it will be changed for the next bwe so who know. But i think it is still a solid choice.

4.) Well it has the standard numbers for a grand master minor (all the other gm minors also have 10% damage reduction under certain conditions). But i guess the extra 20% chill duration is there because our condition is a rather weak one…

5.) It works like the terror trait but the numbers are different. I am not sure on the current numbers though (the numbers on http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Deathly_Chill are outdated i think)

6.) The skill places a ice field that pulses chill. The duration on the skill description is the duration of one pulse. And yes it is really good if you combo it with RS2 and RS4.

7.) The skill is fine so i dont understand you problem with it.

8.) Actually no. You need 50% chill duration to make the chill the same duration as the auto chain is (which is 3 seconds). I still think the base duration should be 2.5 seconds to make it match the 3 seconds of the auto with cold shoulders only.

9.) This skill actually as alot of issues apart from the normal pull related ones. But Gee said they are aware of the problems with this skill so we may expect some changes in the future. Also there is no single target element on the skill. All effects are aoe…

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Nearly every chill that the Necromancer/Reaper has access to is 1-2 seconds too short

1) Chilling Nova how effective is this?

2)Shivers of Dread isn’t this counterproductive to the next minor trait, which is Cold Shoulder?

3)Chilling Force, Any thoughts on this trait?

4)does RS have damage reduction baseline at all?

5)Deadly Chill How does this damage calculated? thats whats confusing to me.

6)Executioner’s Scythe is RS#5 skill. So how effective is this chill for Chilling Force, and Cold Shoulder?

7)Death Charge which replaces Dark Path as RS #2 no longer chills for the longer duration chill.

9)Grasping Darkness is GS 5. Has 4 second Chill which is pretty good. I still believe the Single Target range on this should be increaded

1. Chilling nova isn’t effective. Chills are too short for your slow self to run over and actually hit something that’s still chilled.

2. Yes

3. Chills are too short for the trait to be effective

4. RS has the same damage reduction as DS, right?

5. Wait for spoj to post the exact mechanics. His posts are gold. I think deadly chill works like old burning, but, again, wait for the spoj post to make exact sense of it.

6. The chill on RS 5 is the Reapers best chill. The tooltip duration of the chill is actually the amount of chill on the field which pulses. Plus, RS 5+RS 4 is the only real long duration chill most reapers will have other than chill of death trait in the spite line.

7. Reapers will miss dark path.

8. I think anet wanted to eliminate hypothetical “100% chill uptime from autoattack,” unless you specced or it with duration runes. But that’s not even very strong when the GS chain is so slow, does not have native swiftness, and the chill attack is super telegraphed. So the chill is too short now. 100% chill duration even without those limitations isn’t very strong now that swiftness and even uncounterable super speed are everywhere.

9. GS 5 is such a disappointment with its wonky targeting and short range. It’s so niche that greatsword overall becomes Something of a vanilla all damage glass cannon.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

(edited by nekretaal.6485)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dead.5829

Dead.5829

As an aside, saying something on a trait is ‘free’ feels disingenuous Unless that particular trait is overtuned to include the ‘free’ thing, you’re giving something up in order to take it. This holds true even for the minor traits, as they’re part of a choice when picking which traitline(s) you will have equipped.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

@nekretaal.6485 have you played any of the beta? In pvp maintaining 50%+ chill uptime as a reaper is very easy.

(edited by Sigmoid.7082)