Tips on fighting Rangers?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

So I’ve recently started playing sPvP with a Soldiers Reaper build and I’m really enjoying it, but the one profession that seems to consistently bedevil me is the Ranger. They’re just so slippery that I have a hard time pinning them down and fights become intractable. Is there some trick to fighting them or should I just pick other targets?

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Simple trick – loose the reaper tree and kill them easily.

Yeah its a melee vs ranged issue. Reaper is exceptionally poor against anyone that have avoidance and stay at a distance.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Rangers rely on ther range in combo with soft cc and escapes via leaps. Dodge their longbow knockback, tank whatever length of rapid fire is left, staff 5 their longbow 5, if they clear the chill then golem charge or reap shroud 2 at em, stay in reap and continue to leap at em and apply stab when its needed. Before long they should run out of escapes, theyll panic and use entangle at which point simply transfer it and immediately dodge so as to not get caught by it again (best way to do this is to transfer right after you see the immob tic). At this point they will probably pop their invuln and switch to greatsword, switch to yours and use #4. You shouldnt have much trouble with them afterwards. Of course none of this matters under different circumstances, all I can really tell you is to get them reacting and not thinking about what theyre going to do next.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nero.6813

Nero.6813

Which weapons are you using? I find axe/wh and staff pretty good as soldier reaper vs them. You can apply good range pressure and deal with their condis nicely.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nero.6813

Nero.6813

Which weapons are you using? I find axe/wh and staff pretty good as soldier reaper vs them. You can apply good range pressure and deal with their condis nicely.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Balerios.3679

Balerios.3679

I dont have any problems vs ranger . You dont need range at all RS 2 is your best friend . And corrosive poison cloud <3

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lynnie.7213

Lynnie.7213

Idk, just get to them and f*** them up!
RS#2 helps counter projectile and also CPC.

D O N E E
Necromancer – Ranger WvW/Spvp/Pve/Build/Guide videos:
http://www.youtube.com/donee

in Necromancer

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

Condition reapers should have no problems against Rangers. This is where power and condition diverge in usefulness. Condition Reapers just excel at long ranged pressure.

in Necromancer

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

In soldier’s gear the longbow should not be htting very hard at all. Granted i haven’t played reaper or necromancer in a very long time, but I main ranger.

On my condi ranger which has no leaps, no reflects, no swiftness, no stability, and only dagger 5 for a ranged attack, power rangers are a free loot bag. Why? Because I simply run right through the RF. You don’t even need to dodge because the DPS is atrocious, although it helps. Just chill them or fear them with staff and run up.

Generally speaking power necro has a harder time with power ranger, but life blast will obliterate a power ranger. Conditions will also obliterate a power ranger. if all else fails you can pop insta win lich form and 2 shot them.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.