Using staff outside a condition build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jarvis.9540

Jarvis.9540

I’ve been thinking of using a staff as my off-weapon to give my build a bit more variety. While looking at the skills though, I noticed a lot of the damage is condition-based. Are staffs suitable for player outside condition builds? Say for power or crit? Keep in mind, this will not be my main weapon. Thanks in advance!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Yes. It brings pretty good utility, and does okay-ish damage in a power build.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Skyro.3108

Skyro.3108

Staff can work for any build. It is more of a support weapon, not really a DPS-focused one, although the staff 4 ability hits pretty hard in a power build.

in Necromancer

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

If you are going power you also get condition duration. Staff conditions benefits from that too.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

The utility factor of the staff works fine in a power build too because like many mentioned, it’s not a main weapon, but more a support one in most situations. Even a power build can benefit from the regen, the chills (which is affected most by condition duration, a side effect of using the power line), an aoe condition removal for allies as well as a target condition removal for the caster, and a fear for an interrupt. So while your damage with it might be not so great, the utility side of it is still pretty killer.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

No its not viable in power builds unless you need the range for certain fights. You get much more out of axe mainhand and dagger mainhand. Staffs do provide good support and utility though and for long ranged fights they are the only option. They arent terrible damage either but still pretty bad compared most class range weapons. The only weapons that I have found that have good base damage on the necro (compared to other classes) are the underwater weapons.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Monoman.2068

Monoman.2068

I personally wouldn’t use the staff if you are a power necro. Between Axe/focus + Dagger/WH + Deathshroud the only thing the staff will do is removing your conditions and giving you some slight presence past 900 range. I feel as though a lot (and I mean a lot) of momentum is lost when you use the staff, but many enjoy it and you might as well.

The staff put far too much pressure on my other weapon set for my liking and dished out it’s damage far too slow. The staff’s most powerful attack just happened to be the most important utility on it so no mistakes can be made in its use.

Laviere – Hybrid Wellomancer
Makonne – Hybrid Regen Ranger

(edited by Monoman.2068)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

My dps on killing a golem in the mists:
-staff auto 25s
-staff auto + mark#2 used twice on CD 15s
-axe auto 15s
-axe auto + #2 13s
-dagger auto 8s

The stafff does almost the same (mediocre ) dmg as axe. But aoe+range and its got all the utility that u need. Axe does all that single target, #2 gets canceled from LoS, only focus #5 can remove boons.

My verdict: Staff is better cz it deals almost same dmg as axe, but keeps me safe. The downside is 10 points for greater marks is a MUST.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

I forgot to say:
If ur more glassy, i think staff is better. Ur daggers will deal more than enough dmg but melee is very dangerous. staff gives u a ranged aoe option to protect u and buy some time.

If ur more tanky (soldier pvt) axe is better. Not cz it delas a bit more dmg but:
-pvt gear is great for retalition tanking ( use the heal and DS retal. traits)
-being more tanky, u can be in large teamfights, where vulnerability helps teammates do more dmg
- focus 3 boon removal ( warr+ranger elite, eles freak out when chilled )

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Necromancer

Posted by: zainey.5021

zainey.5021

I use staff in my power builds a lot. As per above a big reason is these builds are often not so tankey and it’s good to have the option to back off. Ground target aoe for brawling is annoying but the marks are useful enough that it works.

Other reasons not listed are Well of Blood and Staff 4 are realistically the only self combo for necros (gives aoe retaliation) and Soul Marks is good for generating Life Force so nice with Death Shroud builds. I don’t know why I don’t see Death Shroud builds here maybe I’ll post mine.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

My verdict: Staff is better cz it deals almost same dmg as axe, but keeps me safe. The downside is 10 points for greater marks is a MUST IN PVP

Fixed.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Necromancer

Posted by: DeathenShada.6397

DeathenShada.6397

I really wish that they would add a new power type weapon with long range for necromancers. Cause you have to choose between dagger which is way to close up, and staff which does decent but not great dammage in a power build.

I like staff but in PvE unless I’m running a dungeon it almost feels like I have to depend on my Axe/Focus only for dps.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Moaning Marv.2194

Moaning Marv.2194

Another good use is using staff for fleeing! I’ve tried many times to run without a staff but everytime i go right back to it, having a fear/boon removal/snare being placed on a group chasing behind you has saved me too many times to count. Something i just dont get running with axe/wh-focus to go along with my dagger/focus big hitter.

Moaning (thief) Marvolo (mes) Mordaunt (necro)
Knights of the White Wolf
Sanctum of Rall

in Necromancer

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

1. Staff is the only weapon necromancer has that brings utility. While all our specs are purely defined by utility skills we choose, unlike every other class…. kitten but fact.
2. It works fine with any power based build because most of them rely on melee(dagger) or just about melee(axe) but lack cleave while all other classes have cleave on melee. Staff brings range and pierce(semi-cleave, delectably better). Also works great with condition spec… guess why.
3. It is the only source of finisher outside idiotically unreliable crap like bone minions explosion… gl trying to get your rats into someones field and flesh wurm(wasting wurm for combo field sounds like the most horrifyingly bad thing to do). Underwater spear provides a ton of finishers but that has very limited use due to lack of underwater content compared to land based.
4. All staff marks have multiple effects packed into 1. Bleed+regen, chill+poison+poison field(combine with #4 for aoe weakness finisher), condition removal+transfer+very good damage, interupt+go screw urself mr. thief with broken rendering mechanics(which anet ADMITED finally and supposedly going to fix… bet it will remain broken specifically for necros but I’m just being a troll on that one)
5. There is rarely a point in having mixed weapons like axe+dagger, due to power specs either going for more general damage increase at %hp or axe cd. In most cases people just want to swap from focus to warhorn. Well users prefer dagger with its immobilize and higher damage while more spectral or debuffing specs tend to benefit from axe more due to vul stacking and retaliation for defense(never underestimate a well placed retaliation+ds…*cough*100noobs button*cough* yeah… just let that warrior kill himself with that moronic skill).
6. Like someone said its great for running away. Tunnel vision and dropping mines as you run? Sold.
7. It looks awesome for once.

(edited by HiSaZuL.2843)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

I run with Axe/Focus mainhand with Staff in offhand slot – full power/precis/crit build.

It’s great for the chill, fear and regen from staff 2… plus i have Final Rest and it looks kitten. I more use it for CC and utility than for damage.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in Necromancer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Yes, the damage is mediocre, but 1200 range is very useful, and staff 2/4 are very helpful. There are just some enemies more easily dealt from range.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Staff is a great weapon if you need some flexibility, it is our quintessential utility weapon.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s