Utility in shroud

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Interesting topic that I’ve made a few times before. Having access to utility in shroud would absolutely be a game changer. There are a few issues that rise from this of course. But I feel the benefits would far outweigh any negatives. And when I say utility I include elite and heal skills.

How would it work?

First off lets answer this question here. Utilities shouldn’t just be given to the necromancer. Although shroud’s design is simple enough that having access to them could easily fit into its design a few things don’t lend itself well to it working. So a way to balance it is to make using any of your utility skills cost a bit of life force when activated in shroud. This would mean that you could drop out of shroud due to your own frivolous use of those abilities. Any transformations that you enter would also drop you out of shroud, such as Lich form or plague. Healing skills should either have reduced healing or no healing but still give their special effects. Notably Signet of Vampirism should have its passive still trigger while you are in shroud. And Consume Flesh on Blood Fiend should count as life stealing so that heal should also work. Consume condition, Well of blood and “Your Soul is Mine” shouldn’t provide healing or have it reduced.

What are the benefits?

1. Greater diversity in builds. Arena net has always wanted to push shroud builds into the spot light. And they kinda exist but they always suffer from lack of diversity. This would help that greatly.
  2. old skills new use. Some Skills that don’t see much use would find new meaning in shroud. Mentioned above Signet of Vampirism suddenly has use for its passive effect. “Your Soul is mine” can now be used to maintain shroud longer to keep a shroud build going or perhaps something else that another person’s thought of that I haven’t.
  3. New trait design. Traits could be designed around this idea of spending life force as opposed to just passively buffing shroud to make it more interactive. Some traits would need to be changed but the overall benefit could be massive. Suddenly using skills in shroud could be a boon to you, adding to damage, support or even changing how your defenses work.
  4. New possibilities for Elite Specs. Its difficult to find professions that could use Glyphs effectively and this would open the door to a spec using it for necromancer. Another option is with sacrifice skills that otherwise might be too dangerous to use outside of shroud but in shroud could provide more of a push pull on the necromancer’s part. Even traits could be massively different than what we’ve seen. I know I’ve mentioned it twice, but it would be grand.
  5. Shroud doesn’t have to do twice as much work. One of the issues with shroud is that if you are going to build a shroud build there is a lot of pressure on it being strictly better than not being in shroud, but this is rarely the case. This change allows it to play out more naturally with the way the game is designed.

What are the negatives?

1. Higher learning curve. This is probably the biggest negative to this suggestion. It makes the profession a bit more difficult to play and run for new players. However, I feel that we have quite a few professions that have a low barrier of entry that this shouldn’t be an issue.
  2. Potential growing pains. This change can shake the meta game pretty heavily. Although it might not be overpowered at all, just the fact that its a massive change would easily throw people off causing cries of wolf until they finally learned how to fight or play necromancer.
  3. Some traits/skills might need to be nerfed. Not the traits you might expect. Death perception is fine as it is and wouldn’t need to be changed. But Shrouded Removal or Relentless Pursuit might need to be looked at. I don’t think its going to be what people expect though.

Why should I want this change?

For the fun! Primarily because it would be a blast to do. It would reduce stale play on the necromancer, increase build diversity and and potentially double your play time with the profession.

Okay, so you’ve got these changes what sort of traits would you suggest?

Oh quite a few. First i’d probably change a few with passive effects such as Shrouded Removal to remove conditions on utility activation to promote active play. Spiteful Spirit to be more in line with its GW1 counterpart causing confusion on Skill activation or something similar. I’d probably want to add new traits such as an Old Suggested one Cultists Fervor which could reduce the recharge of utility used in shroud at the cost of more life force. Though admittedly that might be too good.

What if I don’t like this idea?

Well, then you’re entitled to your opinion. I’ll disagree with it because I’ve wanted this to happen for years and even after spending thousands of hours playing the game I just can’t think of a good enough reason not to do it and no one has presented a good argument to me.

Isn’t it too much work?

Any idea worth doing is going to be a bit of work. We shouldn’t shoot down our suggestions or push our own ideas away because of the amount of work it might take. This question isn’t a conversation starter its a stopper. Nothing constructive can come from that sort of thinking. Think big!

I like this idea, but I have a different one.

Please share then! I’d love to hear your ideas!

And I’ll post the poll at the top to make it easier for people to access it. http://www.strawpoll.me/11040199 Go ahead and vote.

(edited by Lily.1935)

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

We’ve asked for the ability to see our utility/heal cooldowns and we can’t even get that. I’d seriously be happy just to know the cooldowns of my skills so I don’t pop out of shroud and be screwed because I have 4 seconds left on my heal.

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

We’ve asked for the ability to see our utility/heal cooldowns and we can’t even get that. I’d seriously be happy just to know the cooldowns of my skills so I don’t pop out of shroud and be screwed because I have 4 seconds left on my heal.

Arena net tends to be slow on these sorts of things. It took them 3 years to make it so we could steal life in shroud. And people had been asking for that for years. I used to be far more active on the forums, but haven’t been lately due to time restraints. But I plan on making more posts. But not to the level that I once did. Anyways, don’t count it out. Just keep pushing for it. I’m going to.

PS: If your suggestion was to go through, people would ask to use utility in shroud anyway. Especially the new players since they’d be confused as to why they can’t use them. Not to mention people accidentally clicking on them anyway thinking that they could use them.

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vydahr.4285

Vydahr.4285

Just gonna throw this out there: We could just go the engi/ele route. Get our utilities (or a different set of utilities) in shroud, but lose a weapon. Oh, and also. We should have gotten signet passives to work in shroud literally years ago.

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

(edited by Vydahr.4285)

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Just gonna throw this out there: We could just go the engi/ele route. Get our utilities (or a different set of utilities) in shroud, but lose a weapon. Oh, and also. We should have gotten signet passives to work in shroud literally years ago.

The necromancer’s really doesn’t have the diversity in their shroud to really get away with that like the Engi/ele.

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vydahr.4285

Vydahr.4285

The necromancer’s really doesn’t have the diversity in their shroud to really get away with that like the Engi/ele.

That’s why we would need to be able to have entirely different utilities while in shroud. And, sure, it still wouldn’t be quite as diverse, but it could more than make up for it in power. Imagine spectral skills in shroud. Just.. Man. That’d more than make up for fewer options, even if they would have to tweak specific skills if they’re used on the shroud utility bar

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

That’s why we would need to be able to have entirely different utilities while in shroud. And, sure, it still wouldn’t be quite as diverse, but it could more than make up for it in power. Imagine spectral skills in shroud. Just.. Man. That’d more than make up for fewer options, even if they would have to tweak specific skills if they’re used on the shroud utility bar

With the other part of my suggestion, the life force cost for using utility spectral skills don’t become a problem. There’d still be a push pull between wanting to use spectral armor outside of shroud or inside shroud. You get the full benefit outside but its still an option inside.

The thing is, I don’t want to fundamentally change the function of the profession. And although not having a secondary weapon for a condi build wouldn’t honestly hurt it all that much for either necromancer or reaper specs, it would be devastating for power specs are struggling at the moment.

I’m not asking to change the utility skills function. Just how shroud interacts with it. Shroud is sorta in this weird space between wanting to be a transformation and wanting to be a more like a weapon swap. Dropping their ability to swap weapons would put them in a pretty bad position since they are not balanced for that. And the fundamental makeup of the profession would have to change in order to implement that change.

The suggestion I’m making? Well, shroud design is already heading in that direction anyway.

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Since I can’t get a good feel for the community since they don’t usually answer more optimistic threads. I’ll help you out. Lets see what the community feels.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11040199

Go ahead a vote. Lets see what happens.

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

We need more people to vote on that. 11 isn’t representative of the necromancer community.

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

What about healing in shroud? Dont you guys think atleast the regeneration boon should still be effective in shroud?

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

What about healing in shroud? Dont you guys think atleast the regeneration boon should still be effective in shroud?

I think you should get full healing and balance afterwards. However that will never happen, after all it is 4 years .

EverythingOP

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I’d agree to that.

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

+1. Yes, I want to use my utilities in shroud.

@Vydahr: I do not want to lose a weapon, not even for different utilities. 5 weapon skills are better than 3 utilities. Less skills = boring.

Utility in shroud

in Necromancer

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

I’d be happy just being able to see a faded out version of the utilities to see cooldown timers. Being able to use them would be icing on the cake, however I wouldn’t expect it.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’