Versus longbow ranger in WvW

in Necromancer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I’d love suggestions on how to best fight a longbow ranger – especially on open terrain.

I’ve found some of the builds really hard to engage between pets using taunt, the knockback shot and stealth.

Thx for any advice.

This is the roaming build I’ve been experimenting with
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBmWDbkhGaqxuawvGYvxRwQJPhUoEmRdFkDxkOAiAA-TVyCABA8AAO+IAAouhHOIALv/gnq/koSwsU+RxFAIAACwMnZysMDO6RP6RP6Rbmz8oz8ozsQALWDA-w

in Necromancer

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

Honestly, I would try to avoid engaging on a longbow ranger unless you can get the jump on them. Anyone good at longbow ranger will never lose to a necro, but tips include:

1) Line of sight is probably the most powerful thing against longbow rangers, but since your running minions they will just pick off the minions if you do los them. Therefore, you want to line of sight behind your minions (i.e. stand so that your minions are between you and the ranger). This will make your minions eat the damage or cc which is preferable to you eating it.

2) Combine chill, cripple, and swiftness to get in range. If you find yourself in the open, your only real shot at closing the gap is with dark path, swiftness, and cripple.

3) Save your interrupts for greatsword, possibly rapid fire. Interrupting the leap can really prevent them from reopening a gap once you have closed it down. The other skills are pretty easy to avoid. Save a stun break for the 5 skill that applies a 1.5 second daze or stun.

4) Try to dodge point blank shot and hunters shot. These skills allow the ranger to maintain a gap between you and them. They become way harder to dodge at close range, but avoiding them can win the fight.

5)Pay attention to the pet. Most rangers suck at using the pet, but when you run into people who are good at it you’ll see why I say this. The immobilize, fear or knockdown are really a pain to deal with, but can be easily avoided if you watch for the huge telegraphed animations.

Overall though, this is the worst matchup for necros. No other build exposes the lack of gap closers, lack of projectile destruction, and huge cast times on the necro class quite like the longbow ranger. It’s a very bad matchup and you will have to outplay the longbow ranger if you want to win.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

1) Find a big rock.

2) Run around it until Ranger gives up.

3) Brag about your victory to your friends while keeping truth secret for years, until you finally make a tearfilled confession and go on to write a bestselling book called “My dear Ranger – I could never have killed you anyway”.

in Necromancer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Thx. I have lots to improve on in just learning to play necro.

But I was feeling kind of bad about how easily he crushed me.

I’ll try the trick about using minions as body shields if I get stuck in another open field fight.

Thx!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vydahr.4285

Vydahr.4285

1) Find a big rock.

2) Run around it until Ranger gives up.

3) Brag about your victory to your friends while keeping truth secret for years, until you finally make a tearfilled confession and go on to write a bestselling book called “My dear Ranger – I could never have killed you anyway”.

This is truly the only thing you can do in that situation

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: Foomnz.6954

Foomnz.6954

Had 3 fights vs LB ranger in WvW last night.

he was a decent player..results described above
Just too much CC and range control for a Necro to deal with

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

Lich or die painfully.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dead Muppet.9718

Dead Muppet.9718

You will not win vs a ranger.

I say this with 3000 hours of pvp in wvw/spvp as a former ranger… now necro.
Its bad design to have burst, cripple and 2 defensive abilities on the longbow. I literally never have to switch from longbow vs a necro unless im swooping in for a finish.

That all said, when people say a ‘good’ ranger… I have yet to see any ranger that really separates himself from the crowd of longbow players. At least not like I have with many other classes in this game.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Honest opinion, you probably can’t win as Minion Necro.

Minions AI is too low and will be diverted to pet.
Your range and mobility is inferior than LB ranger.
You can’t really catch a LB ranger that uses Wilderness Knowledge, LR, and QZ.
You would be CC to no tomorrow by PBS, Taunt, Immobilize, Fear and so on.
Stealth from hunter shot will just make all your minions useless .

My honest opinion is find a keep/tower and run inside before he runs to you.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lynnie.7213

Lynnie.7213

Honestly, the problem is your build, not the LB ranger, imho.
Signet of Spite / Foot in the grave are just an amazing LB ranger killer!

D O N E E
Necromancer – Ranger WvW/Spvp/Pve/Build/Guide videos:
http://www.youtube.com/donee

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

LB Ranger isnt a big deal, they usually kitten themselfs when u close the GAp wich u can do with Wurm,SW,DP or SG and its NOT hard you just have to wait for sitautaion when he cant avoid it say after a Fear for ex. After hundreds of fights vs LB Rangers I can say best is FiG trait, negates there #4 and rocks them. Some tips, ppl here will say: a good Ranger will do this and he will do that… Iam just saying what I kill them with.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Aomine.5012

LB Ranger isnt a big deal, they usually kitten themselfs when u close the GAp wich u can do with Wurm,SW,DP or SG and its NOT hard you just have to wait for sitautaion when he cant avoid it say after a Fear for ex. After hundreds of fights vs LB Rangers I can say best is FiG trait, negates there #4 and rocks them. Some tips, ppl here will say: a good Ranger will do this and he will do that… Iam just saying what I kill them with.

I’m guessing you’re talking about PVP, which is in a closed environment.
WvW is a completely different story.

Also Ranger has most of their weaknesses of vulnerable to soft /hard CC gone thanks to the new trait system and new QZ. The movement skill that ignores chill helps a great deal and makes ranger able to easily make gap between Necro.

RaO also has a very short cd if trait for it. I doubt a MM necro can remotely hurt a ranger in open-space WvW environment. I never have trouble against them as ranger anyway.

in Necromancer

Ravezaar.4951

no Iam talking about WvW, almost all I do is Solo Roam on my Necro there and if u choose to face a LB Ranger in wide open field without any LoS then above listed jukes are what I use, however I try to LoS first always if I see the Ranger. why run MM ?

Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Aomine.5012

no Iam talking about WvW, almost all I do is Solo Roam on my Necro there and if u choose to face a LB Ranger in wide open field without any LoS then above listed jukes are what I use, however I try to LoS first always if I see the Ranger. why run MM ?

Because the OP is trying to use a MM to beat a ranger.
That’s why I said he’d most likely lose to it XD.

in Necromancer

Ravezaar.4951

aah yea sry missed his Build, running MM can be good and then next fight totally crap due to AI… I never do it so.

Servant of Dhuum