[Video] Methane's Mobile Necro in Group

in Necromancer

Posted by: MethaneGas.8357

MethaneGas.8357

Hello all,

I have put together a video of roaming as a Necro in WvW. I know it’s a long video, but there were many fun fights that I wanted to include. The first half of the video is more actiony. Due to the length of the vid, I cut off some parts. Several of the fights went on for a bit, but it wasn’t very interesting.
-Most of it contains group fights, and there is lots of death flying around, I just don’t tend to stomp as a Necro if we have Thieves/Guardians/Eles.

The build I use is this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vQAQNBLhZwEgkirhO6xxKHMlC4ZH-w

I used to run Mark of Evasion with 10 points in Blood Magic, but by taking those 10 points and placing them into Curses, I could experiment with Terror. Since I had Terror, I also grabbed Reaper’s Protection instead of Greater Marks, which does a 3 sec fear (with food) when you get CCed. Not only does this add another layer of protection, it also has the potential to deal massive damage. I’d say the build has excellent damage while also maintaining several layers of defense.

The video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upKfsaZkqKU

If interested, here is another video. This one has the preliminary version of the build, without Terror. Also contains a tip or two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPI8w21NZVU&list=UUqFKmVqiOjRdtU2gKWxdd0g

Hope you enjoy

Necro, Ele, Mesmer, Guardian and Warrior, DR[OHai]
YouTube Channel

in Necromancer

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

good fun,
must have a pretty good pc, i never get to cast so fast in WvW.
Just the fact alone that you are able to teleport ahead with fleshworm ^^
when I’m finished casting it i usually passed the spot i placed it.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in Necromancer

MethaneGas.8357

good fun,
must have a pretty good pc, i never get to cast so fast in WvW.
Just the fact alone that you are able to teleport ahead with fleshworm ^^
when I’m finished casting it i usually passed the spot i placed it.

Hehe
I actually don’t have a top-notch lap top. I’d say it’s sorta in the “upper middle” range. The video appears nice and smooth but my frames are not nearly as nice when I play. Keep in mind that some of the clips are also 25% faster than normal speed, so it may have looked like I was casting it quickly.
-Also, when you are out of combat, using wurm to travel to a place faster isn’t gonna get you far, but once you are in combat, where you can be slowed, rooted, etc. it can. The best time to summon it is BEFORE the fight even happens. If you are forced to use it while fighting, it’s always good to juke in some sort of way. For example, run in a slightly different direction of where you wanted to summon the wurm to confuse people. Even better is if you summon it ahead of you, then, if you have a nice amount of life force, pop into DS and dodge backwards, so you are behind the enemies, then follow with Tainted Shackles (or Dark Path for chill). The enemies’ camera will face away from the wurm, so once they are rooted, you can safely port behind them. They will lose a few crucial seconds trying to figure out what happened or where you went… not to mention they will be rooted or chilled
-But yeah, the best way is to do it before the fight happens

YouTube Channel

(edited by MethaneGas.8357)

in Necromancer

Posted by: bokkieskitten.8023

bokkieskitten.8023

Adorable.

Come on Mar-mar, roam single or duo necro team. You can dooo it.

PS: The GoM blood was orgasmic to see.

Her Majesty Lillium Honeybuns, Queen of IoJ[BUNS]
Companion of Starlight Honeybuns.
You stole me, and I stole you.

in Necromancer

MethaneGas.8357

Adorable.

Come on Mar-mar, roam single or duo necro team. You can dooo it.

PS: The GoM blood was orgasmic to see.

Honeybunssss
Haha I’d love to roam solo or duo but that’s very hard these days unless I split off from the team =/

GoM tears are delicious indeed, but so are all red names

YouTube Channel

in Necromancer

Posted by: Over.2137

Over.2137

I’ve been called “cheater” because of your Necro being too much mobile! x)

in Necromancer

MethaneGas.8357

If you have any questions as to why I performed certain actions in the video, feel free to ask. I’m not entirely sure what you mean by wanting me to “do something”. It seems we are on some wrong page. If your idea of doing something is standing in the background throwing spells and then rolling over and dying as you get focused, I’m sorry, but that’s not my idea of a Necromancer. As you probably noticed, a lot of my damage happens off-screen, as I often move while casting spells. Additionally, any time you saw Reaper’s Protection, at full stacks, each fear ticks for about 1.4k, and it ticks 3 times. That’s 4.2k AoE damage just by getting CCed. Of course there was no way to notice this, as the enemies are off screen.

Some teleports:
- http://youtu.be/upKfsaZkqKU?t=24s
At this time stamp, I decide to charge a very glassy thief, who seemed ready to attack us. With a billion other enemies there, it would be very easy for her to lower one of us enough to cause downing, and possibly death. To prevent this, I charged her for some psychological distress (it worked) and I safely ported back to my allies while at the same time we didn’t have to suffer from her burst.

- http://youtu.be/upKfsaZkqKU?t=1m6s
At this time stamp, you’ll notice I caused 2 stacks of Torment to the Guardian, followed by a corrupt boon which effectively sealed his fate – he downed in the middle of all his allies.

- http://youtu.be/upKfsaZkqKU?t=2m12s
At this time stamp, I saw an ally getting downed. Since I had no source of stability at the time, ressing our friend was not the best option, as you can see from many other allies downing trying to do so. Instead, I decided to distract the group of enemies in hopes that the other allies who were better equipped to res would be able to res. In addition, I had Locust Swarm on me, which meant I could not stay in the Shadow Refuge, so there was really only one option – distraction. The Guardian I had targeted took massive damage, while the ranger downed. I pulled the attention of a group of enemies away from our downed allies while at the same time downing 2 people. In the end, we all lived to tell the tale.

- http://youtu.be/upKfsaZkqKU?t=4m56s
Corrupt Boon sealed her fate + Tainted Shackles sealed her fate.

- http://youtu.be/upKfsaZkqKU?t=7m59s
This warrior would have went down very easily if I focused my attention on killing him. I didn’t realize he was that squishy at the time, and wanted to play around with them first. I also noticed that the big charr warrior had cleansing shouts. If I fought them all at once, no good could come out of that so there was really only one option – play around with them.

- http://youtu.be/upKfsaZkqKU?t=10m1s
I think “doing nothing” here wouldn’t include downing three people.

As for the rest of the video, it shows escapes a Necro. Since Necro is considered to be one of the least mobile classes in the game, it’s entertaining to see mobility on such a class.

YouTube Channel

(edited by Moderator)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

You didn’t do anything to the thief, he stealthed and you can see him 2 towards you when you plague.

The guardian didn’t die, he was revived instantly.

Yes, you distracted the up-level and one other person. It was the 5 green dots that came and saved your group.

Good job, you killed a guardian when he was outnumbered.

Didn’t watch this one, you ran around in circles I’m sure. People that didn’t know what they were doing.

Yes, the only part in the video where you actually did something, but they were really being dumb and just standing in a small spot taking all of the damage. You could have used Epidemic there and downed them a lot faster.

in Necromancer

MethaneGas.8357

You didn’t do anything to the thief, he stealthed and you can see him 2 towards you when you plague.

The thief was glassy. When I charged her, she had her eye on me, and not any of my other allies. She had to waste initiative and whatever else to break free. Again, I easily teleported back to my group, otherwise I never would have charged her. I followed with plague, and even if she did 2-2 to me, there was nothing she could have done. She was aggrivated, wanted me (likely) but was blinded.

The guardian didn’t die, he was revived instantly.

The point stands, he downed in the middle of his allies. Most of the damage dealt was coming from me. If that’s not damage, I don’t know what is. Your epidemic would do nothing there.

Yes, you distracted the up-level and one other person. It was the 5 green dots that came and saved your group.

Actually, two people downed. I had a glassy warrior on me (the one who took off like 50% of my hp with an Eviscerate, as well as a 2 Mesmers and an uplevel ele. So no, it wasn’t “two uplevels”. The 2 uplvls were only the ones who downed. there was the glass warrior and 2 Mesmers, 1 ele, all who were facing one person – me. That movement was meant to exactly that – distract. Was it effective? I would like to think so, as it not only distracted 4 people, but downed 2 uplvls.
Now… I could have stayed in the back spamming my staff attacks and what not, but that would force everything that I distracted towards my allies probably ending very badly. The person who got everyone up was one thief (who is a friend) and our Norn guardian who didn’t down.

Good job, you killed a guardian when he was outnumbered.

Watch the video again please. Our guardian was outnumbered. I came in to help her, so it was a 2v2, then a 3v2, in their favor. After a while, our allies came as the enemies ran and we finished off their guardian. Was it outnumbered? Not really.

To me it seems that you are writing stuff just for the sake of writing and disagreeing. I know you like epidemic, and I know it’s a nice skill, but I don’t like it, simple as that. My spectral wall alone can not only CC people, it can enable me to tank, as each time someone passes it, I get life force. So by placing it mid-fight and popping DS, I can tank very well, on top of the protection from it, and Chaos Aura. It causes a 1.5 sec fear, but it ticks twice. This means that, at full stacks, it has the potential to do 2.8k damage each time someone hits it – and people often hit it more than once (as simple math, that’s 5.6k damage). That is in AoE. Just because the damage isn’t as obvious doesn’t mean it’s not there, really.

As you probably noticed, I deleted a large chunk of “lovely stuff” that I wrote to you. It just didn’t feel right. Either way, there is always a solid explanation for why I do something. If you don’t understand, feel free to ask and I will tell you exactly why I did something and we can discuss from there. Please don’t assume.

YouTube Channel

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

I don’t like the idea of breaking down any video into a play by play nit-pick. It is always easy to watch something after the fact and realize a lot of things you could have done better, and maybe a lot of things you did really good you didn’t even notice how good they were at the time (a well timed random happy accident dodge).

Ultimately the question for me when I watched this was, does the value of the additional defensive skill pan out in a fight. Ignoring the running from a zerg until you managed to pull away enough people to overwhelm, which I think of as a really awful way to fight on a necro, I would tend to focus on the other fights.

Can you take a 40+ second defensive utility in place of a 15 second offensive multiplier? Surely you can, but is it worth it?

I love spectral wall in any lineup, and I think one additional defensive utility is a great idea. I just never feel sold on taking two. Epidemic has too much value in a condition build to pass up. The ability to spread the really strong control conditions, even without someone else being a battery for you is too much value to pass up with such a short cooldown.

I am sure there are situations where you can find walk AND worm keep you alive where epidemic plus one or the other does not, but I would think it would be hard to prove that a well timed epidemic would not have been just as valuable, or more valuable.

The situational nature of our mobility skills is why I don’t care for them. Pulling people away by jumping around can save the day if enough people are baited to you, but if they don’t it leaves the rest of your party down a man. If they do chase you, and they have far superior mobility (warrior or thief), you might find your limited two situational mobility skills are not enough to get you back to your party or out of combat.

Not having stealth (the ulimate equalizer), or any other mobility skill on a shorter cooldown means if you have burned the two you have, you are out of steam.

I think it works good for you, and it is interesting to see another take on a condition necro. Personally I don’t have the familiarity with either skill to feel comfortable in using it effecively. It might save me, and I might be starting at 15 more second of cooldown wishing I had picked another utility I could use again.

At the end of the day we are all Button Smashers (new guild come join!), and that is no reason to be ashamed.

(edited by Moderator)

in Necromancer

MethaneGas.8357

Ignoring the running from a zerg until you managed to pull away enough people to overwhelm, which I think of as a really awful way to fight on a necro, I would tend to focus on the other fights.

The poking and pulling of zergs and large groups is how our guild fights, and it’s really quite fun. For example, it also occurred at this time stamp: http://youtu.be/upKfsaZkqKU?t=14m17s . There was a zerg in Rogue’s, we poked and pulled. There’s nothing like slowly thinning out a large force. Situations like that are not easy as a Necro but that’s one of the areas where the build shines. I know I was helped by my team in the very first clip of the vid, but that is why I also took more risks. If I took Spectral Wall in that scenario though, I’m certain the outcome would be a lot better because not only would it do damage to the group multiple times, but we would have time to focus on throwing ranged attacks while they are getting feared.

Can you take a 40+ second defensive utility in place of a 15 second offensive multiplier? Surely you can, but is it worth it?

I do have 20% spectral cooldowns, which brings Spectral Wall down to 36 seconds. Spectral wall isn’t entirely defensive. Sure, it’s not nearly as offensive as Epidemic, but it can do quite a bit of damage if it is well-placed and if you can bait people into walking into it (5.6k damage easily). For example, in this clip (http://youtu.be/upKfsaZkqKU?t=13m21s ) the warrior guy wasn’t a bad player at all, but in the chaos, people can walk into the wall repeatedly. As a result, I took no damage from the enemies and tanked em easily – if you watch carefully, I gain quite a bit of lifeforce from the wall alone. This effect is even greater if there’s more people, and works great when you are in a pickle. (As a side note, the guy got hit with Reaper’s Protection, as well as 2-3 times by the wall).

I am sure there are situations where you can find walk AND worm keep you alive where epidemic plus one or the other does not, but I would think it would be hard to prove that a well timed epidemic would not have been just as valuable, or more valuable.

There is no arguing that epidemic is an excellent skill (in fact, I could pump out 12 stacks of torment if I took it), but there is more in the game than just that one skill. Just because one thing works well, doesn’t mean other things don’t work just as well, but in a different context. Perhaps my role isn’t meant to be the primary glassy damage condi bomb, or perhaps a glassy condi bomb Necro wouldn’t work in the situations that often arise when we roam (large outnumbered fights where one can easily die. If you die, you do no damage no matter how bursty you are). Sitting in the back throwing spells is nice and can cause havoc, but I like action, and I like to live to tell the tale. This means taking the role of the damage dealer in one situation, and taking the role of a tank/support in another. For example, in the second clip I swapped my 3rd utility skill to Corrupt Boon because my role shifted more towards a damage dealer. Would epidemic work? Sure. But we tend to focus target by target, and Corrupt boon absolutely wrecks boon-heavy targets.
-I always come back to this… but why are Necros supposed to be the ones that go so deep into the damage path? Sure, we are good at it, but that’s not the only thing we are good at. Elementalists, warriors, engis, mesmers ALL have to invest utilities into defense (sometimes all 3) and yet that’s perfectly fine…except Necros (a class with no vigor and weird stability).
-I’d say the value of a skill comes in different forms. For example, value can be seen in terms of raw damage, in terms of CC, in terms of support and in terms of allowing you to to tank a large group of enemies or surviving. Wall does all of those things and I see it as a very versatile skill. When thinking of Epidemic, it is valuable in only one of the above ways – damage (it can provide soft CC by spreading slows/chills tho).

YouTube Channel

in Necromancer

MethaneGas.8357

The situational nature of our mobility skills is why I don’t care for them. Pulling people away by jumping around can save the day if enough people are baited to you, but if they don’t it leaves the rest of your party down a man. If they do chase you, and they have far superior mobility (warrior or thief), you might find your limited two situational mobility skills are not enough to get you back to your party or out of combat.

The skills seem situational at first, sure: A wurm that stands in the back.. that you have to teleport to, SW which you have to move for, but in reality, in practice, when you know the 2 skills like the back of your hand, they are really not that situational. It just requires a different mindset.
-Anyway, with those 2 skills, you should never engage a situation unless you know you can port back, and as you saw in the vid, it’s not like the enemies catch up immediately when you port back. Not only do they waste time thinking “what happened?” but we also have a lot of slows. I faced my friends who used those skills on me, and even I am stuck there thinking “where did he go?”. Most of the time when I SW into groups, I go in with Dark Path for a nice gap-close and chill. I also often have locust swarm, which cripples them. Tainted Shackles is also at disposal, and so are Staff #3 and Scepter #2. So where they can use their leaps, if they even have them, it won’t get them far with so many slows.

Not having stealth (the ulimate equalizer), or any other mobility skill on a shorter cooldown means if you have burned the two you have, you are out of steam.

Also, although I sometimes do it, it’s not good practice to burn both the ports at once (even tho sometimes it’s necessary). If the fight is back and forth, a good strategy is to space the ports out. Summon Wurm, Spectral Walk in, SW back. Take time to cast from afar, heal up, whatever. Go in, wurm back, cast from afar again. Once wurm is burnt, SW had time to recharge a bit, but there’s still a ton of survivability in there – Locust Swarm tanking, Tainted Shackles to buy time, Dark Pathing to mobs or far-away enemy, Spectral Wall tanking, kiting with chills/slows, daze, Reaper’s Protection and finally Plague. If you don’t engage in melee as often as I do and tend to stick in the back, you should have no problem maintaining those ports. When the time comes and you are hit with a sudden hammer train, or thief, you will have a way out.

YouTube Channel

(edited by Moderator)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

@bokkieskitten: That playstyle sounds susceptible to Confusion. Try equipping Epidemic to your bars to yield better results.

And that’s not what that seal is saying in this image I have of him.

@Rennoko: Sometimes, some of us throw a troll some scraps just to keep him saying things he can barely justify out of amusement. I doubt Tricare could have ever formulated the argument you did for Epidemic, and because of that, it’s always my goal to keep him talking. No one is arguing Epidemic isn’t an amazing ability for damage, but maybe his role in his group isn’t strictly damage. And maybe he just has fun bopping around. There’s merit to doing what you enjoy, especially if you can get it to work in a group dynamic. There’s also merit to running something people aren’t going to expect, because it does give you a very large leg up in a fight against more generally skilled folks. It’s also simply entertaining in its own right.

@Tricare: So you enjoy videos of kills, and not necessarily a video demonstrating other styles/techniques. I think all new Necros should watch this video so they can understand:

1. Mobility is possible on a Necro in general.
2. Dark Pathing to environmental mobs can buy you time in a pinch for additional mobility.
3. You can learn to cancel-cast marks that look like they are going to miss given an unexpected turn from an opponent.

Though I’m guessing you didn’t see #3. Too busy lookin’ for those killz.

I don’t think looking at epidemic as a damage utility is as important as looking at it as an AOE chill/cripple battery, but again I am biased because I wouldn’t play necro without that skill on my bar with a condition build. I have used it too long, and had too many game altering outcomes with it in use.

As far as mark cancelling is concerned, I tend to think 3 moves ahead, so assuming that fear mark misses, I have already planned what I am doing next and though I should cancel it, I rarely do. My reaction time has slowed in my advanced age.

In 4 days we will see how the new changes make up for the better roles a necro may be able to fit (healer!), but I still think looking at necro as a harrasing type class is going to generally be a weaker thief/warrior/mesmer in that role. There isn’t anything wrong with that, but I don’t think in a group dynamic it makes any sense for me personally.

There is no argument that the necro mobility skills confuse the hell out of people, because so rarely do they get used, especially a worm 1200 yards behind you while running forward. I just think they are “win more” skills. If I had the ability to pass up spectral armor and epidemic in a fight for mobility skills, chances are I could have easily won the same fight with the two mobility skills.

The exception being the zerg-surfing stuff, but again I don’t enjoying gobbling the least attentive players in a zerg who decide tunnel vision on a small group is better than staying with their commander and the rest of their sever. Those are the guys who cause your server to lose the big engagement because they went out after a highly organized group they have no hope of handling.

I think about it like the zerg is a large army, and the 5 man guild group is Seal-Team-6. ST6 cannot take on an entire army, but they can absolutely devestate another small group. The whole process feels like you are laying bread crumbs out to get the stupidest birds to move away from the flock so you can roast them. And sometimes those bread crumbs bring the blue taco too, and Alfred Hitchkitten descends from the heavens to command a feast of your bones. In those moments I would like to have worm port and spectral walk…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

The whole process feels like you are laying bread crumbs out to get the stupidest birds to move away from the flock so you can roast them. And sometimes those bread crumbs bring the blue taco too, and Alfred Hitchkitten descends from the heavens to command a feast of your bones. In those moments I would like to have worm port and spectral walk…

It was around this point that I had forgotten what you had written in the rest of your post and just started applauding. It’s like you dropped acid at some point this morning, then it hit you right at the end of that post.

Either way, I think it’s interesting to note how everyone has “that utility” that they absolutely cannot imagine playing without. Mine is Spectral Armor, and for the most part Corrupt Boon. I can’t imagine playing without those two on my Power Necro, and they basically never go away. I find them too useful, and if I get chased down by a zerg, I don’t have a group to call/run to to make it a real fight, so I just mess with them and /laugh until I die. No bigs.

The only reason I’ll drop Corrupt Boon is if I know in advance I’m going to be 1v1ing a class that basically has no boons, like Necro, and another utility will serve me much better, like Well of Power, like against Necro.

I do see your point about the trail of bread crumbs, but sometimes the feels are just right when it comes to banging on trash cans (Doug reference anyone?). Get swarmed by a mob enough times while trying to run around and find good fights solo, and plucking the choice cuts from that mob who extend too far out of arrogance to get decimated becomes a source of good times. It isn’t a demonstration of skill, but oh boy is it fun.

EDIT – Oh my word. This thread got cleaned up something fierce, and I only received 1 infraction in the aftermath. Everything worked out better than expectation.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

(edited by Cogbyrn.7283)

in Necromancer

MethaneGas.8357

In 4 days we will see how the new changes make up for the better roles a necro may be able to fit (healer!)

-Yeah.. well.. the new healing life blast seems really weird to me… I don’t know how someone would go about aiming that, or what the radius would even be. I’m really interested in the new Blood Magic grandmaster though. Would be kinda fun having a bunch of Necros with it bouncing condis around while getting life force :P

There is no argument that the necro mobility skills confuse the hell out of people, because so rarely do they get used, especially a worm 1200 yards behind you while running forward. I just think they are “win more” skills. If I had the ability to pass up spectral armor and epidemic in a fight for mobility skills, chances are I could have easily won the same fight with the two mobility skills.

Wait wait wait… they don’t JUST confuse the hell out of people, they do a ton more. Confusion is only one (psychological) aspect that the skills provide. They provide mobility, survivalbility, and can be a good distraction. If you can survive longer, you can definitely put out more damage than if you die as soon as you get focused, especially in outnumebred fights. A majority of good fights for me comes either from small scale GvGs, 1v1s or outnumebred fights. Wurm + SW both shine in those areas. Also, while the value of a distraction might not be as apparent at first, dragging a high damage enemy threat, or just a bunch of enemies’ focus away from your group is invaluable – you lost one utility skill while you dealt damage and indirectly protected the whole group.
-I suppose we just have a different idea of a Necro, stemming from our different styles :P

The exception being the zerg-surfing stuff, but again I don’t enjoying gobbling the least attentive players in a zerg who decide tunnel vision on a small group is better than staying with their commander and the rest of their sever. Those are the guys who cause your server to lose the big engagement because they went out after a highly organized group they have no hope of handling.

I don’t think that’s a fair assessment. We come from a server who knew nothing but being outnumebred… (until recently with free transfers), and fighting people with more numbers than you isn’t nearly as easy as fighting equal numbers. Unless you fight a guild group, equal numbers aren’t a challenge, at least to me.
- I’d say that a nice portion of players who we drag out have seen us. Not all are “mindless” … maybe they wanna have a good time . Calling them “least attentive” devalues the whole encounter, imo. Most of the time people who are pulled out of the zerg outnumber us quite a bit, and outnumbered fights are a fun challenge – not easy by any means. And if a small group can take out a larger group (like in the Hylek clip – we didn’t drag them from a zerg but were outnumebred 2 to 1, I think), that’s excellent if you ask me, no matter the “skill” of the people you drag out. And to be honest, in those clips, the enemy player skill wasn’t bad at all. I wouldn’t post a clip of fighting tree-stumps that stand there auto attacking. Many of the players there were pretty decent.

YouTube Channel

in Necromancer

MethaneGas.8357

The whole process feels like you are laying bread crumbs out to get the stupidest birds to move away from the flock so you can roast them. And sometimes those bread crumbs bring the blue taco too, and Alfred Hitchkitten descends from the heavens to command a feast of your bones. In those moments I would like to have worm port and spectral walk…

It was around this point that I had forgotten what you had written in the rest of your post and just started applauding. It’s like you dropped acid at some point this morning, then it hit you right at the end of that post.

Haha … I don’t know why but it made me think of
http://youtu.be/_yJCNNwHUOE?t=4s

Either way, I think it’s interesting to note how everyone has “that utility” that they absolutely cannot imagine playing without. Mine is Spectral Armor, and for the most part Corrupt Boon. I can’t imagine playing without those two on my Power Necro, and they basically never go away. I find them too useful, and if I get chased down by a zerg, I don’t have a group to call/run to to make it a real fight, so I just mess with them and /laugh until I die. No bigs.

Indeed. I think it all comes down to preference cuz really, there’s so many utilities out there. Different people master different ones. Now with the patch, I think it’ll be even better
It’s interesting that you take Corrupt Boon on a power spec :o Corrupt boon is pretty much the main skill I take when I don’t take wall, unless I’m 1v1-ing. It completely destroys guardians and eles even Engis.

EDIT – Oh my word. This thread got cleaned up something fierce, and I only received 1 infraction in the aftermath. Everything worked out better than expectation.

Haha… oh my…. I guess a lot happened. I dare not speculate :P

YouTube Channel

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

It’s interesting that you take Corrupt Boon on a power spec :o Corrupt boon is pretty much the main skill I take when I don’t take wall, unless I’m 1v1-ing. It completely destroys guardians and eles even Engis.

I use 40% condi duration food in WvW, so with 30 in Spite and Traveler runes, my condi duration is at roughly 80%. Even if my bleeds/burns/poison aren’t doing as much damage, that’s a lot of duration for the rest of the utility condis, which are often paramount to Power’s success (even though it’s Power-based damage). Plus, removing Protection and Stability are key to putting yourself at the advantage, which is why I’m pensive about removing Focus from my weapon set and trying Dagger/Dagger.

But yeah, a well-timed Corrupt Boon is insanely good. And I always genuinely appreciate when a Guardian clearly anticipates it and saves their condi-conversion for when I use Corrupt Boon. It’s a bummer, but it’s a smart play.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: TakeCare.3182

TakeCare.3182

I use 40% condi duration food in WvW, so with 30 in Spite and Traveler runes, my condi duration is at roughly 80%. Even if my bleeds/burns/poison aren’t doing as much damage, that’s a lot of duration for the rest of the utility condis, which are often paramount to Power’s success (even though it’s Power-based damage). Plus, removing Protection and Stability are key to putting yourself at the advantage, which is why I’m pensive about removing Focus from my weapon set and trying Dagger/Dagger.

But yeah, a well-timed Corrupt Boon is insanely good. And I always genuinely appreciate when a Guardian clearly anticipates it and saves their condi-conversion for when I use Corrupt Boon. It’s a bummer, but it’s a smart play.

These are the things my ele nightmares are made of.

YouTube channel
Thief | Mesmer | Elementalist

in Necromancer

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

I actually really enjoyed this video.

I’ve seen porting necro hijinks in spvp/tpvp but I rarely see people bring it into WvW.

Good stuff.

in Necromancer

MethaneGas.8357

Nice, 80% condi duration is pretty insane… seems like it would work really well with Celestial as well.
With that duration, I’m sure the condis still hurt quite a bit if you are in a team that throws around might easily. I’m always tempted to make a power build but can’t seem to shake off the condi playstyle :P

I actually really enjoyed this video.

I’ve seen porting necro hijinks in spvp/tpvp but I rarely see people bring it into WvW.

Good stuff.

Thank you sir

YouTube Channel

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

seems like it would work really well with Celestial as well.

0/25/25/20/0 <— best celestial build ive messed around with. D/D or D/F and Staff.

Full ascended Celestial, traveler’s runes, your food choice and sharpening stones.
Consume conditions, Blood is power, Signet of spite ( usually just for power increase), your choice of stun break and plague form.

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nightwrath.1679

Nightwrath.1679

0/25/25/20/0 <— best celestial build ive messed around with. D/D or D/F and Staff.

Full ascended Celestial, traveler’s runes, your food choice and sharpening stones.
Consume conditions, Blood is power, Signet of spite ( usually just for power increase), your choice of stun break and plague form.

So close to the celestial build I use lol almost to close… But I just move 20 points here and there… nice to see other people at least think of using celestial gear in a setup.

Morrigan Sol (Necromancer)| Averelyna (Elementalist)| Celaena (Thief)

in Necromancer

Posted by: bokkieskitten.8023

bokkieskitten.8023

So close to the celestial build I use lol almost to close…

He comes up with the most amazing builds/gear combos.
Same with mix matching armour skins.
So much brilliance comes from that cute head of his.

Her Majesty Lillium Honeybuns, Queen of IoJ[BUNS]
Companion of Starlight Honeybuns.
You stole me, and I stole you.