Viper Armor

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Posted by: JunoYuvon.1803

JunoYuvon.1803

Hello fellow necromancers!

Before the recent patch I was working on crafting Viper’s armor for my necromancer for high level fractals and possibly raids.

My question is if you guys think it’s still worth it to craft it after the recent nerf or if I should get another stat to the armor, because I would really like to have my necromancer with an ascended armor set to play fractals and raids with it.

Thank you for your attention,
JY

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Viper gear is still the best gear a Necro can run for the foreseeable future.
If I recall correctly though, it is cheaper to make a non HoT stat armour set then stat swap it to Vipers.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Posted by: Okami.7049

Okami.7049

It also honestly depends on your playstyle, I’m a Power Necro and I absolutely hate Condi-builds (too common, nothing really special about them to me) so Viper’s Armor wouldn’t be ‘best’ for me. It’s definitely still worth crafting if you’re into the Condi side of things, by far the best armor you can craft for that specific purpose. But I wouldn’t go as far as to say ‘the best gear for teh foreseeable future’ since there are many different playstyles and types of Necros you can build, each having their own specific ‘best’ gear sets.

~ Death Is Not The Greatest Loss In Life, The Greatest Loss Is What Dies Inside Us While We Live. ~

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Posted by: JunoYuvon.1803

JunoYuvon.1803

Well I usually play power necro, but seeing as condi-necro is preferable over power necro in t4 fractals and raids I was hoping to get Viper’s for the condition build. What I might do is maybe craft a berserker and later as necessity arises I might stat swap to Viper’s, seeing also as it’s cheaper to stat swap it.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I’ve juggled this question … Frankly, it depends quite a bit on how deep into conditions you go.

Are you Scepter?
Are you using Condition damage traits?
Etc ….

because you can achieve 100% bleed duration without Vipers, though if you consider a wider range of condition application, you can drop some bleed duration ‘things’, get Vipers and have more duration on all conditions and still achieve 100% bleed duration.

It really just depends on what you are doing.

I don’t know what nerf you’re referring to either … AFAIK, there wasn’t any big changes to necro that affect their abilities for condition damage.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

It also honestly depends on your playstyle, I’m a Power Necro and I absolutely hate Condi-builds (too common, nothing really special about them to me) so Viper’s Armor wouldn’t be ‘best’ for me. It’s definitely still worth crafting if you’re into the Condi side of things, by far the best armor you can craft for that specific purpose. But I wouldn’t go as far as to say ‘the best gear for teh foreseeable future’ since there are many different playstyles and types of Necros you can build, each having their own specific ‘best’ gear sets.

Oh I agree, I’m back running my zerker gear for fractals and general use. Much more fun. However he did ask for high end fractals/possible raiding, and I’ve never seen a request for power necro in raids and you still get “condi necro only” t4 fractal groups.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

There’s no reason you couldn’t run a power build out of viper’s gear with proper trinkets and ways to generate conditions without scepter. I ran one spvp season with a condition build with axe/focus and staff. This was before they changed chill to instead inflict bleed.

I miss that build

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Short answer. Yes, absolutely.

Long answer? Even with the nerfs to necromancer they’re still an extremely strong condi profession and they play off other necromancers extremely well. The major power of their build is the Epidemic condi bouncing. Their over all bulk shouldn’t be ignored either. Does it suck that Jagged horrors where nerfed into the ground? Absolutely! Does it mean our build is dead? Absolutely not. We have too many tools to die so easily. This is a bit lacking though. If arena net could bump Deathly Chill to 2 stacks of bleeding as opposed to 1 it would offset this difference fairly well. I mean, The old horrors would still have been better, but at least we’d still be reasonable without a second necromancer.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Okami.7049

There’s no reason you couldn’t run a power build out of viper’s gear with proper trinkets and ways to generate conditions without scepter. I ran one spvp season with a condition build with axe/focus and staff. This was before they changed chill to instead inflict bleed.

I miss that build

The biggest reason why Viper’s wouldn’t be a very viable Power Build is because you lose a LOT of Ferocity in place of Condition Damage/Duration, which is the core to your power. You want to Crit and Crit HARD in a Power Build, kill or be killed in other words. Now if you were talking about a Hybrid build then absolutely I can see the viability in it (and with your weapon choices I see what you’re referring to as a Hybrid build with slightly more emphasis on the Condi side of things). I don’t remember what Chill was before it inflicted bleed, so my apologies for being a bit dense on that detail.

Back to the OP:

Personally, if I ran a Condi-build it’d be like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYGOwFq5Y3EVB8qDgWIuBTwIA-TxRBQBzUJYzOFA+b/hOq8rf6DAwTAohq/EA4AY36W3dDM+4jP+4j3u7u7u7ubA-e

Granted I don’t play Condi (been thinking about a nice change of pace lately but not interested for now) so I don’t know how the Traits would best work out for me and how I’d play it but this would be the general idea of what I’d go for.

~ Death Is Not The Greatest Loss In Life, The Greatest Loss Is What Dies Inside Us While We Live. ~

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I miss that build

The biggest reason why Viper’s wouldn’t be a very viable Power Build is because you lose a LOT of Ferocity in place of Condition Damage/Duration, which is the core to your power. You want to Crit and Crit HARD in a Power Build, kill or be killed in other words. Now if you were talking about a Hybrid build then absolutely I can see the viability in it (and with your weapon choices I see what you’re referring to as a Hybrid build with slightly more emphasis on the Condi side of things). I don’t remember what Chill was before it inflicted bleed, so my apologies for being a bit dense on that detail.

Back to the OP:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYGOwFq5Y3EVB8qDgWIuBTwIA-TxRBQBzUJYzOFA+b/hOq8rf6DAwTAohq/EA4AY36W3dDM+4jP+4j3u7u7u7ubA-e

Granted I don’t play Condi (been thinking about a nice change of pace lately but not interested for now) so I don’t know how the Traits would best work out for me and how I’d play it but this would be the general idea of what I’d go for.

You lose a lot of DPS on a condi build by not taking reaper.

Probably something like this http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQRBLRtG2IDNUdjN3g3NwhjFjBLeHGEPiR/sAwBY6oFDeBA-TRiPABZq+D5Kfo8kAAwCChsfwmKhIW/g+KBr8JAEA4AY36GA2d3d3d3dLFwi6qA-e

if you want to be optimal. Its slightly higher Condi damage than what you’ve showed and you get the 100% bleed and the 150% scepter conditions. Note though, this is really more for raids or fractals. And only if you are going to be using food. If you are not adjust accordingly. The goal of any condi build should be that 100% bleed duration mark.

(edited by Lily.1935)

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Posted by: foxcat.4096

foxcat.4096

For pve unless you are going for cutting edge speed clears you can use pretty much whatever you wan’t. Maybe just make an exo set just to check out if you like the condi play style or not then go from there.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Okami.7049

I miss that build

Back to the OP:

You lose a lot of DPS on a condi build by not taking reaper.

Probably something like this http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQRBLRtG2IDNUdjN3g3NwhjFjBLeHGEPiR/sAwBY6oFDeBA-TRiPABZq+D5Kfo8kAAwCChsfwmKhIW/g+KBr8JAEA4AY36GA2d3d3d3dLFwi6qA-e

if you want to be optimal. Its slightly higher Condi damage than what you’ve showed and you get the 100% bleed and the 150% scepter conditions. Note though, this is really more for raids or fractals. And only if you are going to be using food. If you are not adjust accordingly. The goal of any condi build should be that 100% bleed duration mark.

What I don’t get is why Reaper would benefit you if you have no way to actually apply Chill (unless you intend to use Shroud only to apply Chill)? I mean I love Scepter/Dagger (I love Dagger off-hand in general cuz it has the best Condi removal skill) but Scepter Warhorn confuses me. You get a Daze and a melee-DoT shroud from Warhorn, I don’t see how that benefits from a ranged build? Staff would make more sense to me, considering the larger range and the fact that you can toss Reaper for Soul Reaping and make the Marks Unblockable (as well as make Fear deal damage and have a longer duration, for when you’re aggressed on). Reaper to me just seems like a Melee-oriented Trait route for those that want to go Melee (in other words, all of those Traits seem to either benefit GS or Reaper Shroud directly). Not trying to argue or pick a fight, just asking questions and thinking with you.

I don’t see why Spite wouldn’t be viable either, you gain Might Stacks which further increases Power and Condi damage (and with Strength Sigils you can easily build Might early before the Traits kick in to keep you capped). You also gain that damage bonus when they reach 50% health or less, it just seems more beneficial to me (then again I’m clearly all about Power so I probably just sound stupid and don’t know what I’m talking about). My other question: so on a Condi build it’s better to focus on maximizing Condition Damage/Duration rather than worrying about Power? I legit don’t know if Condi weapons even benefit from Power at all or if Condition Damage is best.

So having capped Condition Damage means the Conditions won’t ever wear off? If that’s the case then I’m really stupid, my apologies for the previous build. Another reason I couldn’t play this build is because I HATE the Corruption Trait-line, literally with a burning passion. I will never be able to play in a way where I harm myself just to transfer those Conditions onto an enemy, it’s just too ‘anti-productive’ to me. Again, that’s all just cuz I understand absolutely nothing about Condi Necros.

Thanks for pointing some stuff out though, seriously it’s nice to learn something new in case one day I do decide to take a break from the chaotic power-playstyle to a more relaxed ranged-playstyle.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Snip

So I’m going to go head and explain it for you in a bit more detail. I enjoy the play style personally and I think a few things aren’t explained all that well on the forums from time to time.

Q: “Why reaper?”

A: Reaper provides far more DPS than core necromancer. Thats the quickest answer but there is far more to it than that, than just DPS. This is true weather you are playing power or condi. Why this is true for condi is not just for the Chilling Death trait but also because of its Soul Spiral. Soul Spiral is a fantastic DPS boost that hits hard through both power and condi damage. 12 stacks of poison in a fairly short period of time is extremely good. You can also spiral through your own Chill field or poison field to get the chilling bolts or poison bolts. This is important to note because it increases your condi damage further. If you can’t use your poison field for whatever reason the chilling bolts will each provide a single stack of bleeding for 15 seconds. Not too shabby right? There is also Chilling Nova which will proc off a chilled foe who is critically hit. This is important to note because it’ll provide you with an additional bleed and a bit of damage on top of that. Note, that you don’t need to apply the chill yourself to get this to trigger, so if you are running with allies who also apply chill its almost like a free fire sigil when compared to power builds.

Chilling victory will provide you with extra might as well as life force which can be crucial since condi builds have a tougher time with life force than power builds. It also gives might which will aid in your personal DPS. However, Decimate defenses is a very viable option as you can push yourself to 100% crit chance with that allowing you to trigger Barbed precision more frequently if you have the correct group. Decimate defenses would be preferred in raids to chilling victory.

Aside from DPS, you’re also given far better defensive options than Core necromancer. Including a fairly reliable escape in the form of Death’s Charge. Which also works as a gap closer. You can also use it in your Ice field to gain frost aura to gain a bit of a defense boost as well as trigger more bleeds when they strike you, acting as sorta a sudo condi version of retal. Not that great, but should be mentioned, might trigger 1-3 bleeds from it. The stability will also prevent you from being controlled for quite some time as well which is a great addition to prevent yourself from being disabled. I shouldn’t have to tell you why Stab is so good, You know why.

Reaper’s Shroud goes even further than that to provide you with greater control. I mentioned before about death’s charge, but it gives you a blind. Blind is really effective at degenerating break bars, as is chill. Combine and they’ll reverse the regeneration entirely. Executioner’s Scythe doesn’t just provide a chill field but also a MASSIVE hit to the break bar of a foe as well as causing the bleeds. When it comes to break bars, Reaper is just superior in every way to Core necromancer. The bonus Chill Duration with the extra chills, the extra blind, and Two major stuns, You can’t beat Reaper in this catagory.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Q: “Why Warhorn?”
A: This is more personal preference than anything else. You can run a Staff though in a raid your Group will suggest against it. Warhorn provides quite a bit more than Focus when compared side by side. Sure, Focus gives Vuln and Chill, both extremely valuable in their own right, but the application is unreliable at range and Spinal Shivers is just too slow on the activation time. Its more valuable to just auto attack than use that skill a vast majority of the time. Warhorn is absolutely taken for its daze. An Unblockable hit to their break bar would be worth taking warhorn over focus alone, however it also has that speed boost which can be valuable in many situations. The life force isn’t bad either.

Another option is to take the staff, as it does provide good AOE pressure and control. However, in a raid You don’t really want or need something like that as Epidemic will cover trash mobs far more effectively.

Q: “Why not spite?”
A: There is no reason you couldn’t take spite while doing fractals. In raids, however I’d advise against it. Your party should have a dedicated boon share profession or two and if done properly you wont need the might. Not only that but you’ll also get to the 25 vuln cap in a 10 man group. In a raid, and I’m talking specifically for a raid, the traits spite provides does not give you anything helpful here. Some of your most effective traits even, just wont be good. Reaper’s Might isn’t ideal for reasons stated above, Chill of Death will do nothing for you for 50% of the fight as well as Close to Death and Siphoned Power. And Spiteful Renewal will do nothing for you 75% of the fight. Other traits, that are specific to skills aren’t good either. You wont be using Signets or an Axe and you won’t be sticking in shroud for long enough to really take advantage of Rending Shroud. Even if you where going to be in shroud for long it still wouldn’t be ideal in a raid.

That out of the way, Could it be good in Fractals? Absolutely. But only if you’re running with a full team of condi reapers. Most condi reapers don’t provide boons to allies and they also don’t stack vuln all too often. You could easily combo your chills with theirs to give a stable stream of vuln which would be valuable to a party like that. However, this is only useful if there are no other professions in your group. If there are other professions, Spite suffers the same problems that it does in raids.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Q: "So having capped Condition duration means Conditions won’t ever wear off? "
A: I corrected what you said because I’m going to assume that this is what you meant. And no, conditions will still wear off. However this means that your limit for stacks is much higher than it otherwise would be. My personal cap on bleeds gets somewhere around 50. With an average of 24-30. That goes from 4k damage a tick to up to 12k a tick. And it can be pushed even higher than that. I’ve seen bleeds doing close to 20k a tick though thats raid groups and they usually sit around 10k-12k. The point of duration is to apply conditions faster than they are falling off. This is especially important for necromancers who are fairly slow but are fantastic in the long fight.

Q: “Why would you willingly hurt yourself with Master of Corruption?”
A: There is a price for power and you need to be willing to pay that price. Fear doesn’t get triggered often enough to justify running Terror. The bonus DPS from the reduced recharge on your corruptions is worth it. 33% is a huge decrease in recharge. The extra might and torment from BiP makes it worth while in Fractals and the CpC gives excellent coverage against projectiles which could otherwise threaten your squishy back line group. The weakness against the foes as well further reduces damage and it can be spiraled through for extra poison.

Epidemic is the key reason anyone takes MoC. Having that with a shorter cool down means more DPS for your party. Necromancers in both raids and Fractals will bounce conditions off each other to get further DPS boosts than they ever could on their own.

The concept of taking Master of corruption follows the same logic as Using something like Dark Confidant in Magic the gathering, or Belly Drum in Pokemon. You sacrifice a bit of your own health to increase your strength over all. Of course its Risky, but the pay off is usually worth it. Its kinda hard to explain. I mean, Why run Berserkers If you’re more frail than if you run Soldiers? The concept is the same. You want that bonus effectiveness. If you play it wrong, both situations will kill you for taking the riskier road, but if done effectively you’ll be better as a player and far more efficient at what you do.

Condition builds are all about incremental advantage. And the way their builds run shows this. Each point of the build is designed to push the DPS just that little bit further, just that bit more efficiency. Its an extremely nuanced and deep type of build that requires deep thought when executing. I wouldn’t call it relaxed at all, considering you could end up killing yourself. I have done it myself, even though I’ve been playing it for years, even before it was good. The build has a pretty solid rotation and interruptions at key points can cause serious problems. However, you do have outs which is important. Talking about MTG in comparison, I’ve also killed myself using a similar strategy to the MoC strategy. However, I win far more often than I lose. And the reason for that is because both my experience and of the incremental advantage that I accumulate over a long game.

You are very welcome. You should absolutely give it a try someday. Its a real fun build. I have both Berserkers and Vipers for my necromancer. So I’m well aware of how both of them run. Condi is the superior Build when it comes to DPS in the long game. The longer the fight, the more valuable Condi becomes. While Condi builds its DPS Power stays stable through out the entire fight which means it’ll hit its peak damage far quicker than Condi, but loses 100% or close to it when knocked down or downed while condi can keep ticking at at least 90%-50% efficiency for at least a while.

However, I’m not going to tell you how to play. Do whatever you like. I wont exclude anyone from a group just because they want to run power or something else. Especially since necromancers used to be the worst profession in the game and I was excluded. I know how that feels. Play what you love and enjoy yourself. Thats what I say.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

OMG! I had to cut up my response int to 3 posts!

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Okami.7049

Lol I read it all don’t worry, and thank you for your time and info! I actually learned a lot about Condis and have a newfound respect for them. I know I certainly wouldn’t be able to pull off a playstyle like that, so anyone who can is awesome in my book. I’ll probably stick with Power or maybe look into a Hybrid build (Scepter/Dagger with GS) sometime soon. I tip my hat to you, my friend, you went above and beyond and for that I’m both grateful and humbled. I can promise you I’ll definitely be using this as a reference if I ever do give Condi a try, a well written guide with clear-cut answers to questions I’m sure a lot of people have nowadays.

That’s a very well thought-out and very skill-based build, I was stupid to question it. When it comes to Combos I still have a LOT to learn, so thanks for pointing those out as well. You rock!

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Lol I read it all don’t worry, and thank you for your time and info! I actually learned a lot about Condis and have a newfound respect for them. I know I certainly wouldn’t be able to pull off a playstyle like that, so anyone who can is awesome in my book. I’ll probably stick with Power or maybe look into a Hybrid build (Scepter/Dagger with GS) sometime soon. I tip my hat to you, my friend, you went above and beyond and for that I’m both grateful and humbled. I can promise you I’ll definitely be using this as a reference if I ever do give Condi a try, a well written guide with clear-cut answers to questions I’m sure a lot of people have nowadays.

That’s a very well thought-out and very skill-based build, I was stupid to question it. When it comes to Combos I still have a LOT to learn, so thanks for pointing those out as well. You rock!

Not a problem. I didn’t realize it was so long. I just really love condi. And there are always budget options for you to try as well. Getting to 100% bleed duration is the most important part of the build and it can be achieved through other means. Runes of the Krait is a great alternative if you ever try it and its much easier and much cheaper to get.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Okami.7049

Not a problem. I didn’t realize it was so long. I just really love condi. And there are always budget options for you to try as well. Getting to 100% bleed duration is the most important part of the build and it can be achieved through other means. Runes of the Krait is a great alternative if you ever try it and its much easier and much cheaper to get.

I feel ya, I’m the same when it comes to Power Necro. Duration over Damage, gotcha. I’ll have to check that Rune out, don’t think I’ve seen it before.

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I have to challenge some of those ideas. If you’re a hard core condi necro, how does one resolve the fact that Reaper skills don’t help you a whole lot with a Scepter/dagger build (arguably the most condi weapon setup) or the fact that even though reaper shroud has some cool condi, but you can’t spam those skills to be considered even close to the condi output a necro would be?

I mean, I can see where there could be a swapping between good damage on GS, then some kind of hybrid approach on shroud, but I’m not certain that kind of build justifies wearing Vipers gear to take advantage of the few conditions (relative to pure condi necro) that you get in shroud. I’m going to play around with such a thing before I condemn it and convince myself one way or the other that it has a place.

To be honest, I look at that build and ask myself how someone justifies a whole traitline dedicated to damages with chill effects when the build itself is so limited in its ability to cast chill.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Viper Armor

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

I have to challenge some of those ideas. If you’re a hard core condi necro, how does one resolve the fact that Reaper skills don’t help you a whole lot with a Scepter/dagger build (arguably the most condi weapon setup) or the fact that even though reaper shroud has some cool condi, but you can’t spam those skills to be considered even close to the condi output a necro would be?

I mean, I can see where there could be a swapping between good damage on GS, then some kind of hybrid approach on shroud, but I’m not certain that kind of build justifies wearing Vipers gear to take advantage of the few conditions (relative to pure condi necro) that you get in shroud. I’m going to play around with such a thing before I condemn it and convince myself one way or the other that it has a place.

To be honest, I look at that build and ask myself how someone justifies a whole traitline dedicated to damages with chill effects when the build itself is so limited in its ability to cast chill.

You are expected to be playing off of other people in your group. And its not the only justification either. Read through it, I have quite a few reasons why. You’ll often find the opportunity to get in close to your foes in both Fractals and raids. In Fractals enemies will intentionally close the gap on you and you’ll be able to get these off fairly effectively. Its all things to consider for your rotation. You don’t want to stick in Reaper’s shroud any more than you’d want to stick in Death Shroud. Death shroud is far far weaker when it comes to DPS though and its not just one trait to justify it. Its the entire middle line, or in the case of raids, Decimated defenses as well.

I’ve done the testing myself. Even if you compare it point for point with Death shroud no matter what skill you decide to use in Death shroud compared to just never going into shroud will always lose you DPS. But if it was just a question about DPS reaper would still be better, however it isn’kittens also about its control abilities, escape abilities, and defensive abilities.