Well of Power, worthless stability?

in Necromancer

Posted by: jakalofnaar.1702

jakalofnaar.1702

This skill has confused me for a while now, to the point I thought it was bugged, but apparently not…

I thought it was meant to apply a 1s stability with each tick for 5 ticks, totalling 5s, but instead, you only get 1 second of stability! While converting conditions with each tick is nice and all, it’s not enough to justify a high cooldown IMO.

Is there a reason we can’t get stability on each tick rather? Outside of 30 points into soul reaping this is our ONLY form of stability.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

This skill has confused me for a while now, to the point I thought it was bugged, but apparently not…

I thought it was meant to apply a 1s stability with each tick for 5 ticks, totalling 5s, but instead, you only get 1 second of stability! While converting conditions with each tick is nice and all, it’s not enough to justify a high cooldown IMO.

Is there a reason we can’t get stability on each tick rather? Outside of 30 points into soul reaping this is our ONLY form of stability.

The stability was just a functional requirement because the well isn’t instant cast. Think if it broke stun, and then you got stunned again while still casting the well… it would be a pretty stupid stun break. That is why you get the 1 second of stability.

Actually you CAN get interrupted casting it if someone times a boon corrupt on you right after you push the button to cast the well. Only a 1/4 second window to do that, but still possible.

It has nothing to do with the well itself giving stability, though I agree it is a confusing tooltip, and if it did pulse 1 second of stab I don’t think it would be OP.

in Necromancer

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

wow, I had never tested it but also assumed it was 5 pulses of 1s Stability, good to know.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bweaty.9187

Bweaty.9187

Because you build your defense by attacking, being CC’ed is double bad to us, as we not only get CC’ed by cannot build defense.
No escape, and only class in game to not have dodge on a weap/vigor or any equiv endurance regen/block/invul/ or reflect.

If they added a useable anti-CC, others would have to learn, it’s more than the odd necro you have to put a ‘knockback’ on when they DS to totally counter all there mitigation.

in Necromancer

Posted by: fonvitale.9621

fonvitale.9621

I imagine the moment when a designer (maybe a developer) came with the great idea of giving a stun break in a well skill. Maybe he/she said “Wait, put 1 sec of stability – well skills have long cast times” o_O Why not make Well of Power an instant skill? Nobody knows, it’s top secret.

Answering to your question, no. This kind of decisions talk about the balance we can expect for necros.

Zere We – Necromancer

(edited by fonvitale.9621)

in Necromancer

Posted by: AivenPrimus.9184

AivenPrimus.9184

and then they nerf something that involves DS again…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I imagine the moment when a designer (maybe a developer) came with the great idea of giving a stun break in a well skill. Maybe he/she said “Wait, put 1 sec of stability – well skills have long cast times” o_O Why not make Well of Power an instant skill? Nobody knows, it’s top secret.

Answering to your question, no. This kind of decisions talk about the balance we can expect for necros.

They did that because the stability was added long after the Well skill was implemented. The game had been live for months before it was a stun break, and it makes more sense for them to just make the skill usable (but retain all its original mechanics).

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

They did that because the stability was added long after the Well skill was implemented. The game had been live for months before it was a stun break, and it makes more sense for them to just make the skill usable (but retain all its original mechanics).

You know, making wells and co fake instants (like cb), might have made them more usable than adding 1s of stability onto stun breaks with cast times

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Necromancer

Posted by: thomasgjkgwdn.4760

thomasgjkgwdn.4760

Outside of 30 points into soul reaping this is our ONLY form of stability.

well… there’s lich form.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

well… there’s lich form.

And plague, but the 2 (in addition with rampage, tornado and elixir) shouldnt be ccable in the first place… its like suddenly tequatl and wurm trio would be ccable to death, so they made it so that any source of stability on you is removed as soon as you leave the transformation (seriously there was 1 wurm attempt i had like 40 seconds of stability left from all the hallowing ground/ele swaps with 3s left on lich, then lich ends and no more stability (same for swiftness and spectral walk slot out).

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Maybe my memory is faulty but I thought WoP was originally not a stun-break and would flip all conditions to boons. I never really used it much because I mostly run Consume Conditions and other professions have plenty of boons available without me having to run Well of Power. Now that it is a stun-break, I run it for events like Jormag.

in Necromancer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

One can use it(for the long stability) in CoF while solo running the lava field. Except that…

in Necromancer

Posted by: thomasgjkgwdn.4760

thomasgjkgwdn.4760

well… there’s lich form.

And plague

i use lich form over plague, because the latter seems to have less of an impact in general.

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

They probably should buff it to ally stability on pulse. Would actually fit the name better that way. And give the necro some non selfish support for once.

Plus the gw1 Well of Power was an elite and a lot better than this version. Stability would bring it up to a more respectable level.

http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Well_of_Power

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Lich form uptime is 30s instead of 20 so its better, for example in AC where you skip those nasty knockdowning gravelings near the end. Popping spectral walk meanwhile casting lich gives you 30s of swiftness to. OP skippiness.

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Plague is instant cast and provides blind/cripple. Much more useful for many situations if its stability that you need. Its a slow safe skipping skill imo.

in Necromancer

jakalofnaar.1702

Woah, wasn’t expecting some of the big-name necro’s \:D/

Glad to see I’m not the only one who’d like to see this skill buffed a little, kinda thought I was completely missing something regarding the skill, where it had some niche use case.

in Necromancer

Posted by: fonvitale.9621

fonvitale.9621

Yes, I understand why they did so. But, honestly Bhawb, it’s like repair a broken ceramic vase with tape…

Zere We – Necromancer

in Necromancer

Posted by: lorndarken.3702

lorndarken.3702

wells are great in wvw , horrible in pvp and do able in pve , but i think they all need a reduction in cast time and recharge . it would make wellomancers viable

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Variations on a theme:

1) WoP pulses 1 second of stability every second for 5 seconds for the necromancer only. No other changes.

2) WoP gives 1 second of stability to the necromancer and up to 4 other allies within its radius. No other changes.

3) WoP pulses 1 second of stability every second for 5 seconds for the necromancer and up to 4 other allies within its radius. Recharge increased appropriately.

4) WoP pulses 1 second of stability every second for 10 seconds for the necromancer and up to 4 other allies within its radius. Optional: for each condition converted to a boon, the affected player is also healed for X amount (should be less than the amount achievable with Well of Blood; 100 healing per conversion, perhaps). Recharge increased to 180 seconds. WoP is now an elite skill. A new utility well skill is added to take its place.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

in Necromancer

Dalanor.5387

Or simply make it instant cast and you don’t have to deal with stability and risk a corruption on yourself.

in Necromancer

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

If using it as a stun break alone, I’m in agreement.

However, I like the added utility that comes with the stability and the potential (if ArenaNet would see fit to give us some group support) to use it to aid our allies. Plus, the stability gives opponents some counter-play options.

in Necromancer

Dalanor.5387

It’s already a condi flip aoe field, so there goes the group support. More or less the dark field portion of it can be a bonus too. Not so long ago leeching bolts got buffed if i remember right.

in Necromancer

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Yes, there is the condi flip AoE support. But if we could add in the stability as part of that support, that would give us an active party buffing capability which we are largely lacking.

The condi conversion is not under our control in that we don’t get to choose which condis are placed on us and our party members; thus, we dont get to choose which buffs we get, either.

Having a source of party-wide stability application would add a useful and welcome buff to the necro’s repertoire. Given that we’re supposed to be the face tanking class, this isn’t outside the profession’s design phihlosophy, either. If we’re meant to stand there and be a meat shield, then it’s wholly appropriate we have access to stability, at least.

Allowing us to apply it to the party – as per my previous post – now gives us a means of actively contributing a boon to our allies rather than it being a band-aid fix to cover a stun break.

in Necromancer

jakalofnaar.1702

Variations on a theme:

1) WoP pulses 1 second of stability every second for 5 seconds for the necromancer only. No other changes.

2) WoP gives 1 second of stability to the necromancer and up to 4 other allies within its radius. No other changes.

3) WoP pulses 1 second of stability every second for 5 seconds for the necromancer and up to 4 other allies within its radius. Recharge increased appropriately.

4) WoP pulses 1 second of stability every second for 10 seconds for the necromancer and up to 4 other allies within its radius. Optional: for each condition converted to a boon, the affected player is also healed for X amount (should be less than the amount achievable with Well of Blood; 100 healing per conversion, perhaps). Recharge increased to 180 seconds. WoP is now an elite skill. A new utility well skill is added to take its place.

1) I think this would go against the nature of wells, which all serve some sort of support to allies (as long as they, or and enemy, stand inside them)

2) Isn’t it doing this already, or did you mean to say 1s of stability on each tick?

3) This sounds like what I originally thought it did, however I can’t agree with an increase in cooldown. It’s already on a pretty hefty cooldown, and just increasing the stability from 1s to 5s doesn’t really make it OP

4) Seems interesting, although I don’t see many using another party wide heal, as there are way better utilities than heals, and the condi conversion is pretty good in and of itself.

IMO the simplest “buff” they could give the skill is leave it exactly how it is now, but let it grant 1s of stability per tick. A 5 second stability really isn’t much, and the skill isn’t even instant, so it’s still a pretty situational skill.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

Yup plz stun breaks only being instants~

in Necromancer

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Variations on a theme:

1) I think this would go against the nature of wells, which all serve some sort of support to allies (as long as they, or and enemy, stand inside them)

2) Isn’t it doing this already, or did you mean to say 1s of stability on each tick?

3) This sounds like what I originally thought it did, however I can’t agree with an increase in cooldown. It’s already on a pretty hefty cooldown, and just increasing the stability from 1s to 5s doesn’t really make it OP

4) Seems interesting, although I don’t see many using another party wide heal, as there are way better utilities than heals, and the condi conversion is pretty good in and of itself.

IMO the simplest “buff” they could give the skill is leave it exactly how it is now, but let it grant 1s of stability per tick. A 5 second stability really isn’t much, and the skill isn’t even instant, so it’s still a pretty situational skill.

1) I’m just starting with what we already have – a well that “selfishly” applies stability to the necro only – and then building up possible variants. The well would continue to perform its condi-to-boon flipping in addition to increasing the stability application for the necro alone. Thus the “No other changes” portion; it would continue to function as it currently does in all other respects.

2) The stability granted by WoP currently only applies to the necromancer. This variant would apply it to up to 4 allies within the radius for the same duration (1 second only). As in #1, it retains all other current functionality (condi-to-boon conversion, stun break, same recharge, same radius, same duration).

3) Unfortunately, this isn’t how WoP currently works. It only applies a single second of stability to the necromancer alone; no pulsing, no stability for allies. Though I would tend to agree 1 second of stability renewed each second over 5 seconds for up to four additional allies is not OP, others may disagree.

Thus – in the interest of balance – I also suggested increasing the recharge time if this variant were adopted. Personally, I’d be fine with no increase to the recharge. But with this variant’s improvement and expansion of the well’s functionality, that’s unlikely to happen; there would have to be some compensating nerf to justify the buff.

4) The extra heal wouldn’t be the primary use; it’s just icing on the cake and befitting its status as a new elite. The main use would be for the condi-to-boon conversion in conjunction with a pulsing 10 seconds of stability for an entire party.

Yes, the simplest buff would be as you state and which is in alignment with the #1 variant I suggested above. I was simply looking for an opportunity to expand upon the skill to make it a viable way for necros to apply a party-wide boon. If, on the other hand, it remains the case that the stability will only apply to the necro, then I’d like to see it increased to 1 second of stability per tick over 5 seconds.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sandra Martino.3870

Sandra Martino.3870

I never used it because i thought it was a 5 second crappy version of Hallowed ground. And now just found it’s even worse then i realized. I’m speechless…

Still Feeling Lucky [PunK] – Gunnars Hold
Recruiting necros & guardians. Whisper ingame.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Not sure if it’s been pointed out but the same update that made WoP a stunbreak + stability (to ensure it works as such) did the same thing to other profession’s skills, warrior stomp and the engie toolbelt skill for thumper turret are the ones I remember getting the same 1s stability treatment.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Hi all

I play a wellomancer variant. Most of you here in this thread do not so let me point out some things about the Well of Power.

Well of Power is an integral part of my build, it is meant to be a very dynamic team utility and it lives up to that design as it is when you are traited for wells. My wells are ground targeted, give protection, and have reduced CDs.

It is meant to be used for team play and does not do as well when you are solo and its effectiveness varies depending on your opponents class build. If I had to compare it to anything else in the game, it would be guardians Purging Flames but with a stun break component and pulsing 5 instead of 3 times, hence the increased CD.

I use it in WvW and in PvE extensively. In WvW it is used on pushes and on holds. From the posts you made I know many if not most of you do not understand what that means as it is a bit advanced team and not solo oriented gameplay. To explain this it would require me to make a seperate post several pages long with high quality time lapsed vids with specific examples, which I just can not do. Keep in mind it affects your entire team as they “roll” through it, since its up to 5 targets per pulse. It is a direct counter to things such as Spectral Wall, some traps, etc. and most importantly the immobilize spam.

Having WOP ground targeted and providing prot is integral, you dont place it on yourself as that is a complete waste, but rather you place it on location where your group will dodge into or move through. It requires foresight, anticipation, and in general some deep knowledge of game play unlike solo abilities or ones that generate at your feet and just remain there making the WOP very interactive on many levels and deeper layers.

Double all that when used along with well of corruption on boon spamming guardians, warriors etc.

It is an extremely powerful ability in its current state so it has a long CD, which naturally, I would love to see lowered, but then it would start getting nerfed.

If you do not run a well build and don’t have the wells traited as I do, it is indeed mediocre at best.

In PvE, I use it in many dungeons on boss fights when we are face tanking a boss that does AOE with condis, or for example when you do the fractal with colossus in it and you pull all those mobs that stack 25 stacks of vulnreability on you and your party into the corner, along with well of suffering.

So please leave Well of Power alone, I don’t want to see it nerfed or its already long CD increased, especially that unlike most of you above me, I actually use it as one of my constants as do those that run wellomancer builds.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

(edited by Tongku.5326)

in Necromancer

Sandra Martino.3870

So please leave Well of Power alone, I don’t want to see it nerfed or its already long CD increased, especially that unlike most of you above me, I actually use it as one of my constants as do those that run wellomancer builds.

You have no idea what you’re talking about. First of all you assume most of the ppl responding in this thread do not play wellomancer builds. How do you know that? You have paranormal abilities? i Thought so.

Furthermore, everything else that is said holds some truth but the last part is nonsense. If you are in any HALF-DECENT wvw guild you would know well of power is useless, and thuss unused. My classleader would gkick me if i used it and rightfully so. Every wellomancer uses well of darkness for obvious reasons.

Stop spreading miss-information, the skill was useless, is useless and will be useless.

in Necromancer

jakalofnaar.1702

You do realise a lot of us are asking for it to be buffed, not nerfed right?

in Necromancer

Sandra Martino.3870

I don’t know what he wants, it’s rather awkward.