What Anet forgets about movie monsters

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The explanation for the basic concept of the Reaper is that they are like classic movie monsters, ponderous, but powerful once they reach you. What Anet forgets is, movie monsters are FAST.

Yes, you have that chase scene, and they show the monster ambling along, then cut to the teenager running as fast as he can. Then cut to the monster, walk walk walk, then to the teen, run run run, then the monster, walk walk walk, then the teen, and the teen’s been running flat out for a couple minutes while the monster’s just been shuffling along. . . and then the monster’s right there on top of him!

In the movies, the monster always catches up, no matter how fast the victim moves. That’s what the Reaper currently lacks. Now thematically, this would best be represented using a Shadowstep, appearing right next to the intended victim in an eyeblink, perhaps on GS #4, but this would be worthless outside of combat, which is when the Reaper currently needs faster travel speed the most.

My preferred solution would be to make one of the GS moves a solid long distance dash move, ideally GS #3, as it would be cool to have that as a long range drill-stab. I’m thinking something a bit similar to Ranger GS #3 or Warrior GS #5 in movement profile, but otherwise same animation. It wouldn’t even need the “leaving the ground” bit of it, just have them slide low along the ground, carried along by black flames.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tasao.4623

Tasao.4623

My preferred solution would be to make one of the GS moves a solid long distance dash move, ideally GS #3, as it would be cool to have that as a long range drill-stab.

Oh, wow. That’d be awesome. If your 3 charged forwards as you used it. It’d cause some problems comboing with GS5, like how Shroud 2 flies past your target all the time, but GS doesn’t combo together at all right now anyhow. It’s too disjointed and trying to pull an enemy into Nightfall or Death Spiral or Gravedigger doesn’t work 90% of the time. So I’d actually happy to see Death Spiral turn into a charge.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Eureka!!

Now who do I see about getting my 10000 range teleport…

They also seem to have forgotten that the movie monster almost always loses by the end of the movie; sequels being the exception of course.

IMO instead of a dash or leap, we need to have our chill ability back to what it once was (leaps etc. included). The thought of freezing your enemy in terror seems to suit the motif of the monster movie just fine IMO, but we had our chill gutted even before we had a chance to play it. I realize that 100% duration would seem overpowered, but after all are we not considered to be the one class that you don’t want to get to close to? We cannot get away so why not make up dangerous to get near?

in Necromancer

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

[…]

Either that or the monsters work because all the protagonists are kittened mentally challenged.

Good idea tho.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

What they forget is that the scariest monsters are the fast ones because the slow ones only ever catch people with severe tripping problems. Also, most movie monsters don’t try to tickle their victims to death with an oversized wet noodle.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Necromancer

Ohoni.6057

Oh, wow. That’d be awesome. If your 3 charged forwards as you used it. It’d cause some problems comboing with GS5, like how Shroud 2 flies past your target all the time, but GS doesn’t combo together at all right now anyhow.

Well, Shroud #2 is basically Revenant Staff #5, and is designed to move you a certain distance no matter what. If they design GS #3 to be more like the Ranger or Warrior GS charges, it shouldn’t be an issue, because you’ll stop moving as soon as you hit a target.

Now who do I see about getting my 10000 range teleport…

They also seem to have forgotten that the movie monster almost always loses by the end of the movie; sequels being the exception of course.

Lol.

IMO instead of a dash or leap, we need to have our chill ability back to what it once was (leaps etc. included). The thought of freezing your enemy in terror seems to suit the motif of the monster movie just fine IMO

I don’t care about chill. Chill is fine for slowing enemies down once you reach them, but worthless for catching up to enemies that are already distant. And more importantly, chill does nothing to help you travel across the terrain, and Reapers need a better tool for traveling faster.

done by now.”

in Necromancer

Tommyknocker.6089

…snip
I don’t care about chill. Chill is fine for slowing enemies down once you reach them, but worthless for catching up to enemies that are already distant. And more importantly, chill does nothing to help you travel across the terrain, and Reapers need a better tool for traveling faster.

Two different playstyles my friend. I don’t give a kitten about catching anyone, seeing as stealth allows many classes to reset anytime they want to anyways. I would much prefer those that stick around pay the price; retreat becomes much harder when you are perma chilled. If i cannot keep you fixated upon me when in a fight what is the use of catching you?

If for example I catch a mesmer, what does it matter when they can simply use decoy and vanish? without chill (or other movement detrimental condition) on them to keep them nearby they can move at regular speed away from you. I would prefer those that play with the bull, get the horns. In a perfect world we would have a bit of both, but with ANet’s record on necro’s I would settle for just being the immovable object at this point.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brokensunday.4098

Brokensunday.4098

…snip

Two different playstyles my friend. I don’t give a kitten about catching anyone, seeing as stealth allows many classes to reset anytime they want to anyways. I would much prefer those that stick around pay the price; retreat becomes much harder when you are perma chilled. If i cannot keep you fixated upon me when in a fight what is the use of catching you?

If for example I catch a mesmer, what does it matter when they can simply use decoy and vanish? without chill (or other movement detrimental condition) on them to keep them nearby they can move at regular speed away from you. I would prefer those that play with the bull, get the horns. In a perfect world we would have a bit of both, but with ANet’s record on necro’s I would settle for just being the immovable object at this point.

all classes have so many things to escape and we get our chill nerf dosn’t matter if we can chill them like 75% up time they can always escape

in Necromancer

Tommyknocker.6089

…snip

all classes have so many things to escape and we get our chill nerf dosn’t matter if we can chill them like 75% up time they can always escape

I may be different but I see it as, If you need to run away from me, I have already won!

in Necromancer

Posted by: DrMundo.2896

DrMundo.2896

…snip

I may be different but I see it as, If you need to run away from me, I have already won!

I completely agree with you. As I necro I am used to being forced to take the mesmer/warrior/thief/ele/ and now rev gank from which I have no escape. If I can beat down the offending ganker and force them to run it is a much more satisfying than the usual “necros must stand and fight, and then die as they should” experience.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

I agree with the greatsword #3 change. Please make it work like a bioshock big daddy drill dash

The animation looks like it should be some type of ranged attack already. If not a drill dash, then a beam of sorts. But a drill dash would be better.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

The

Yes, you have that chase scene, and _

In the movies, t next to the intended victim in an eyeblink, perhaps on GS #4, but this would be worthless outside of combat, which is when the Reaper currently needs faster travel speed the most.

My preferred solution would be to make one of the GS moves a solid long distance dash move, ideally GS #3, as it would be cool to have that as a long range drill-stab. I’m thinking something a bit similar to Ranger GS #3 or Warrior GS #5 in movement profile, but otherwise same animation. It wouldn’t even need the “leaving the ground” bit of it, just have them slide low along the ground, carried along by black flames.

I say make GS4 Nightfall into a Ground Target blink ability that still does the AoE blind field but at the ground targeted blink location.

that way we can move around better but keep our only GS defense.

in Necromancer

Ohoni.6057

That sounds like PvP talk. PvP is irrelevant. In PvE, it’s all about being able to get where you;‘re going with as little time wasted as possible. Once you’re fighting an enemy, chances are they aren’t going anywhere.

I say make GS4 Nightfall into a Ground Target blink ability that still does the AoE blind field but at the ground targeted blink location.

A ground targeted blink could work, so long as it didn’t require an enemy hit to teleport you. Have they ever put one of those on a weapon before though? Usually blinks are utilities with long CDs. I kind of suspect that if they gave us an ability that is GS4 PLUS a ground targeted blink, they’d give it a CD long enough to make it mostly useless.

done by now.”

in Necromancer

Knighthonor.4061

That sounds like PvP talk. PvP is irrelevant. In PvE, it’s all about being able to get where you;‘re going with as little time wasted as possible. Once you’re fighting an enemy, chances are they aren’t going anywhere.

A ground targeted blink could work, so long as it didn’t require an enemy hit to teleport you. Have they ever put one of those on a weapon before though? Usually blinks are utilities with long CDs. I kind of suspect that if they gave us an ability that is GS4 PLUS a ground targeted blink, they’d give it a CD long enough to make it mostly useless.

Yup. Thief Short Bow 5 Infiltrator Arrow. No cooldown on it. So cant see a cooldown version of it being unbalanced.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

All i can imagine right now about the movie monster quote is a little asura reaper running forward shouting “Raaagh i’m godzilla!”

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

in Necromancer

Knighthonor.4061

All i can imagine right now about the movie monster quote is a little asura reaper running forward shouting “Raaagh i’m godzilla!”

Nah… Asura Reaper = Leprechaun

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tyriark.7825

Tyriark.7825

Yup. Thief Short Bow 5 Infiltrator Arrow. No cooldown on it. So cant see a cooldown version of it being unbalanced.

Don’t forget that Nightfall also roots you when you cast it.
A ground target teleport would be an amazing way to implement some reaper-style mobility on this skill.

Stormbluff Isle
Xaiixmael – 80 Revenant
Tyriark – 80 Reaper, Xytrael – 80 Daredevil, Lythios – 80 Warrior

in Necromancer

Ohoni.6057

Ok, that’s true enough, although it is attached to the Shortbow.

done by now.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: xadine.7069

xadine.7069

they also name pyramid head as example use for reaper. Clearly Devs and I haven’t play the same game^^.

in Necromancer

Tommyknocker.6089

sniip…
That sounds like PvP talk. PvP is irrelevant. In PvE, it’s all about being able to get where you;‘re going with as little time wasted as possible. Once you’re fighting an enemy, chances are they aren’t going anywhere. snip…

PvP may be irrelevant to you, but as ANet balances around PvP then it would seem it is not irrelevant to them unless they split the game modes (something they said they want to avoid). But in all honestly if you use want better mobility I would suggest another class. Necro is the worst for mobility and if all you are interested in is PvE then there are much better classes for that. And IMO even if they give us a leap or two (something I highly doubt) there will STILL be better classes for mobility in PvE. For example warrior with Sword/WH GS would be quite mobile in PvE and hit much harder than a necro does currently.

in Necromancer

Tommyknocker.6089

sniip…
That sounds like PvP talk. PvP is irrelevant. In PvE, it’s all about being able to get where you;‘re going with as little time wasted as possible. Once you’re fighting an enemy, chances are they aren’t going anywhere. snip…

PvP may be irrelevant to you, but as ANet balances around PvP then it would seem it is not irrelevant to them unless they split the game modes (something they said they want to avoid). But in all honestly if you use want better mobility I would suggest another class. Necro is the worst for mobility and if all you are interested in is PvE then there are much better classes for that. And IMO even if they give us a better mobility (something I highly doubt) there will STILL be better classes for mobility in PvE. For example warrior with Sword/WH GS would be quite mobile in PvE and hit much harder than a necro does currently.

I wish you luck with this suggestion, it does sound like it would be interesting fior PvE, although I would not want it in WvW as I’m sure we would pay to high a price for it.

edit: clarity

in Necromancer

Ohoni.6057

But in all honestly if you use want better mobility I would suggest another class. Necro is the worst for mobility and if all you are interested in is PvE then there are much better classes for that.

I play allll the classes (for the record my mains on live are Thief and Guard and my favorite in beta so far is Tempest). I just really like the Reaper too, better than my live Necro build, but I don’t accept that the solution to “this class doesn’t have enough mobility” is “play a different class.”

EVERY class should have good mobility, especially outside of combat. Obviously some would have much better mobility than the Necro, but the Necro should not be as bad as it is now. This is a game with a lot of running around, they need to offer the ability to get where you need to go. And yes, Mesmers are the worst, the worst, but the Reaper is still pretty bad at this. Jog speed is just too slow for this game.

done by now.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

If RS 2 was simply targeted (like a normal leap, cuts the distance if targeted, if untargeted works just like now) it would fix the major part of the problem just fine. GS would have a strong pull, and RS would have a leap. Beyond that its fixes to other things.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build