What is our role in new raids?

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

…That statement pretty much runs counter to what players who enjoy the current meta believe, which is that the combat and encounters cannot be improved on, effectively leaving necro out of favor in group comps for the foreseeable future. There’s a lot to this issue and I must admit that I personally feel that people who believe the current meta that excludes the necromancer is immovable are incredibly myopic.

You were making so much sense up until this point. I think you have a rather shallow and unfair view of some player groups.

How to tackle that issue can be approached from a number of directions, which may include simply giving necromancers blast finishers and invuln/evasion etc., but Anet is, as always, clandestine in their larger design goals. Where necros fit in group content is as much up in the air as they ever were prior to the announcement. Perhaps, in a post beta weekend followup, they’ll comment on this matter.

And then you made sense again. However we have been suggesting these simple small solutions for a very long time and nothing has been done.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

…That statement pretty much runs counter to what players who enjoy the current meta believe, which is that the combat and encounters cannot be improved on, effectively leaving necro out of favor in group comps for the foreseeable future. There’s a lot to this issue and I must admit that I personally feel that people who believe the current meta that excludes the necromancer is immovable are incredibly myopic.

You were making so much sense up until this point. I think you have a rather shallow and unfair view of some player groups.

How to tackle that issue can be approached from a number of directions, which may include simply giving necromancers blast finishers and invuln/evasion etc., but Anet is, as always, clandestine in their larger design goals. Where necros fit in group content is as much up in the air as they ever were prior to the announcement. Perhaps, in a post beta weekend followup, they’ll comment on this matter.

And then you made sense again. However we have been suggesting these simple small solutions for a very long time and nothing has been done.

I’ll admit that I didn’t elaborate fully on the various positions, and there are many, taken by “players who enjoy the current meta” with regard to where the game can go and why it’s enjoyable with the current profession balance. My goal was to point out what I felt was a particularly defeatist position that I’ve seen echoed more than once that serves to undermine the notion that the game can, in fact, evolve.

(edited by nightwulf.1986)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Anet has specifically avoided making any promises about making Necros more desired in structured group comps.

Promises no, however they have made statements suggesting that Necromancers would be desirable in PvE again, such as Colin’s interview with Angry Joe.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Colin says a lot of things that are little more than box selling hype.

I still remember their whole “everybody gets rewarded equally for their effort via our token system and we have a dynamically changing set of branching dungeons and personal story”.

All before they did their bait and switch into the mystic toilet and RNG drops as the primary venue of rewards and the personal story and orders all turned out to be meaningless and converging into the same outcome.

And now with this expansion, we get 2 new sets of armor in addition to the legendary armor, compared to the many more dungeon armor and weaponsets we got for the same $50 in the original GW2. No doubt most of the armors and weapons will still be cash store and black lion chest business as usual.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

They’ll probably make a spot for us. For example, add foes that condi bomb you, but are really weak to whatever they put on you, so if you transfer it back and use epidemic, the fight becomes a lot easier.

The problem with solutions like this is they only apply to single encounters and are essentially forcing a necro onto your team. They will bring you because they have to for this one fight then ask you to switch back to your “useful” character after that fight.

Much better to fix the overall design of necro and the encounters in general once and then we are useful everywhere.

And although we are the most hated class, other classes aren’t really wanted either. Ranger is just as bad off as we are currently, and Engineer’s while not hated are not particularly sought after either.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

The role of necromancer in raids is to pull the special raid-specific lever, or use the special raid-specific turret, or pick up the special raid-specific bundle. You know that anet can’t design raids with a game as shallow as this with reference to its lack of defined player roles and super fluid and vague class purpose; so to make up for it, every encounter needs a very obvious gimmick that can only be bypassed by a gimmick solution that is specific to that very encounter and found nowhere outside of it. Since, as you mentioned, necromancer doesn’t do one of the 5 things to do in this game as effectively as any other class (other classes who—like the necromancer—do all 5 simultaneously, just slightly better than necro), he will be the utility guy that is relegated to the raid-specific gimmick if your raid party is going to go super try-kitten its expeditions into “Dungeons but slightly bigger this time.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

This was a response from Robert Gee to the mesmer forum on why mesmers don’t have a bunch of blast finishers (sound familiar?).

From a design perspective, Mesmers are more about providing fields and less about activating them. It’s not just blast finishers, Mesmers lack reliable sources of many other finishers too. Necromancers fill a similar role. By contrast you might notice that Warriors have lots of finishers but not many fields.

We don’t always get this balance right (and I think there is a different discussion to be had about when we don’t) but I hope that clarifies what we were going for in the case of Mesmers.

His response makes it sound like profession (and encounter) design was supposed to allow for other professions to fill in the weaknesses that are inherent in other professions. And clearly, he knows there are some issues with this. Much like for mesmers, rangers, etc., getting this balance right for necros is a work in progress. They have a target they are shooting for and it’s either avoiding giving all professions what the current meta calls for, testing the waters for future content to see if that is what is needed or whatever design balance concept #3 is. This isn’t quite new info in terms of what they’ve said before about balance and design, but also remember that with the Blood Magic redesign, making blood is power a group buff, and giving Reaper Shroud 2 a projectile block, they are open to new ideas in terms of profession design/theme.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tristan.5678

Tristan.5678

Necro is worst class to play in PVE

1. hard to get a team last days I didn’t do Fractals because there were mostly Meta groups ….
2. hate towards necros … Just as in screen
3. This class has good sustainability but so do Guards still we bring little support to team

Yes necro has lovely Auto Attack on Dagger + Wells Decent Dps but is not comparable with 5 sec I think CD Hundred Blade of Warriors that does 30 k + with lost of Warrior Party Dps buff

Honestly Gw2 community became extremely Snobbish and if you dont play a Meta build or meta class you won’t get party fast even if you are good exp player with 4 5 k hours played … oh well I have a Guard but I love necro I simply wont log on to the game until Arena Fix this crap …

Arena gave Guards instead of their old kittened Tomes an Best Shout ever With Quickness while necro still has it useless Transforms and Useless Golem that dies in one random boss auto attack

i can’t blame player too they are partially right Necro for party is LOADOFkitten

Brazil youtuber Proved that necro has decent dps but ppl still dotn care as long as necro dont have some decent party support this class will never provide and nice Pve game experience right now only thing you’ll get is frustration kick frustration and kick

Attachments:

(edited by Tristan.5678)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

This was a response from Robert Gee to the mesmer forum on why mesmers don’t have a bunch of blast finishers (sound familiar?).

From a design perspective, Mesmers are more about providing fields and less about activating them. It’s not just blast finishers, Mesmers lack reliable sources of many other finishers too. Necromancers fill a similar role. By contrast you might notice that Warriors have lots of finishers but not many fields.

We don’t always get this balance right

Yeah, one fire field and no real blasts on a meta set, but Warrior always effortlessly has +20 might even just in PvP. If they’re going to let this happen, they might as well not even pretend to know what they’re doing or have any real plan aside from caving to people who want more instant/passive damage and invulnerability periods.

People don’t understand that might and fury are the only really worthwhile boons when it comes to directly impacting combat (outside of PvP which is also dominated by stability and invulnerability states in order to sustain combat while passive damage ticks each second). There’s nothing to do in this game but damage. If they wanted people to have roles or classes to have a unique feel or purpose, they would have severely limited class options regarding what any given class brings to combat in terms of support. They didn’t do that, so now obviously many classes are subpar when compared to others, and dungeons can easily be optimally completed by a party of nothing but Elementalists and Guardians.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

We don’t always get this balance right

What’s amazing is that the mesmer still have 100 time more/better support tools than the necromancer and he dare say that :

Necromancers fill a similar role.

Well, I still think that the best solution is to make our super unreliable finisher into reliable finisher and give some value to our super unwanted field.
Let’s face it :

- Poison field give poison (something that is really easy to keep up) and weakness (also something that ain’t hard to keep up). A single thief with dagger mainhand can do the job of this field.

- Dark field give poor siphon value (only good for exploiting bugs on things that would be invuln otherwise. And this is the kind of bug that’s corrected right away) and blind (honestly a waste for leap and blast).

Plus, the linked utilities (while effective in PvP situation) have a very little impact on PvE. It’s not like a mob will stop because a well is in front of him. A mob health pool is always bigger than a player’s health pool. (This negate the whole “area denial” argument which is perfect in PvP situation but useless in PvE)

NB.: I don’t say that the Necromancer’s tools are useless. They are great in PvP because PvP is balanced between similar value of health/damage. It’s just that in PvE the necromancer’s tools are in front of value that outclass them.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

And although we are the most hated class, other classes aren’t really wanted either. Ranger is just as bad off as we are currently, and Engineer’s while not hated are not particularly sought after either.

People who don’t want engineers are idiots you should avoid grouping with anyways.

Sinister engineer does close to ele damage, has the best and most accessible water field in game, while also bringing fire and smoke fields, and come HoT it has the perk that a lot of its damage is condition based so mobs with high toughness will make engineer the new elementalist.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Signs point to a reworked Toxic Nightmare Tower in Kessex hills becoming a raid.

The original tower featured dangerous runs through trash mobs, including through a damage over time zone, punctuated by various gates that could only go down by defeating mini bosses.

Necromancer strengths were that they coud use their Death shroud to ignore DOT conditions. Weaknesses, in addition to the usual ones (low damage, bad damage avoidance & mitigation), were not taking group heals in shroud & not having enough CC defenses (against immobilize spam) in DPS wells builds.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

I recall that for the toxic nightmare tower, I was in a minion master setup…

Sigh That was when the sustain granted by minions was trully OP. I loved it!
And then, just at the end of the tower event they introduced the vampiric signet and nerfed the sustain granted by minion and I dropped the MM build for something else.

Apart of that, I don’t really think that these signs are good news. Vampirism doesn’t work when there is nothing to beat. The most adapted to these harsh condition would obviously be warrior/Ele/guardian/Engi with ranger/herald/necromancer following closely… Suck to be mesmer/thief in this kind of environment.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Necromancer

ZudetGambeous.9573

We don’t always get this balance right (and I think there is a different discussion to be had about when we don’t) but I hope that clarifies what we were going for in the case of Mesmers.

His response makes it sound like profession (and encounter) design was supposed to allow for other professions to fill in the weaknesses that are inherent in other professions. And clearly, he knows there are some issues with this. Much like for mesmers, rangers, etc., getting this balance right for necros is a work in progress. They have a target they are shooting for and it’s either avoiding giving all professions what the current meta calls for, testing the waters for future content to see if that is what is needed or whatever design balance concept #3 is. This isn’t quite new info in terms of what they’ve said before about balance and design, but also remember that with the Blood Magic redesign, making blood is power a group buff, and giving Reaper Shroud 2 a projectile block, they are open to new ideas in terms of profession design/theme.

lol @ “warriors have a lot of finishers but not a lot of fields”

you know except permanent moving fire fields…. plus 2 other fire fields… but otherwise no fields, no fields at all…

I’d love to have no finishers like warriors have no fields!

Also lol at necros having a similar role as compared to mesmers… I’d love to know how to access necros quickness, alacrity, slow, and reflects.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

you know except permanent moving fire fields…. plus 2 other fire fields… but otherwise no fields, no fields at all…

Also lol at necros having a similar role as compared to mesmers… I’d love to know how to access necros quickness, alacrity, slow, and reflects.

Currently, Warriors have one field on the entire profession, and that’s the longbow burst skill.

Berserkers will get two more, one on Torch and one on Greatsword.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Mesmers get utility, at the cost of utterly trash damage. As in, worse damage output than a necromancer. They are not a class you want to talk about, they are equivalent to a vanilla WoW shaman/paladin, gimmick buffbot.

I don’t want my necromancer to become a buffbot with trash damage. I want my necromancer to become like warrior/engineer/ele, great damage and great utility.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Raids, I hope, involve strategy and coordination but no “just dps everything” mentality.

Raid bosses should have a better AI with a more advanced aggro calculation. Bosses should dodge red circles, watch for tells on high damage skills, corrupt boons or flip their own conditions, chase down higher dps or higher healing players, watch what groups are doing and try to thwart their efforts, etc.

Maybe require a stealthed group protect a skritt steal some shiny, then an escort group defend and heal the skritt once the boss finds it missing while a tanking group tries to hold the boss until a burn phase can begin.

The boss would have to be smart, too, and try to counter the players’ builds.

in Necromancer

ZudetGambeous.9573

Mesmers get utility, at the cost of utterly trash damage. As in, worse damage output than a necromancer. They are not a class you want to talk about, they are equivalent to a vanilla WoW shaman/paladin, gimmick buffbot.

I don’t want my necromancer to become a buffbot with trash damage. I want my necromancer to become like warrior/engineer/ele, great damage and great utility.

Memsers have very good damage, they just struggle to keep that damage alive because their phantasms die so easily. Not sure if this will ever change or not.

But either way, even with low damage mesmers are desirable. People want them in their groups in spite of their damage. Necros aren’t wanted even though they do more damage. There is nothing wrong with a buff bot. It may not be your particular play style, but it is a valid and useful role that will get a raid spot, something it doesn’t look like Necro is going to get.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Memsers have very good damage, they just struggle to keep that damage alive because their phantasms die so easily. Not sure if this will ever change or not.

But either way, even with low damage mesmers are desirable. People want them in their groups in spite of their damage. Necros aren’t wanted even though they do more damage. There is nothing wrong with a buff bot. It may not be your particular play style, but it is a valid and useful role that will get a raid spot, something it doesn’t look like Necro is going to get.

Mesmers don’t have good damage. At best with 3 iSwordsmen up, they do single target DPS of 13-14k. Which is far below the 17k ele/thief/engineer/condi ranger are doing, and still below the 15-16k warrior guardian can achieve.

And that’s best case scenario iswordsman, with a ton of phantasm ramp up, and is single target only.

I hate buffbots. When you see a video where people are fighting a boss and all you do is run to the next spot to drop a portal, that’s irritating.

The problem with buffbots is you only need a few of them, whereas the real DPS classes are stacked. So a raid may include 1-2 chronomancers, but it will sure as hell stack many elementalists/engineers.

If necro is fixed, I don’t want him to be a buffbot on the lines of “we just need 1 necro for x buff, then deny any other necros being added to the raid and the rest we want are elementalists”.

That’s just terrible.

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

One of the things I miss about FFXI is the combo system. It has a lot of depth and requires careful timing, positioning, and knowledge of the output so it produces an effect the target is weak to. That combo system made players work tightly together and had a long learning curve that rewarded skill and teamwork with massive damage increase and risk decrease.

Another difference from GW2 is aggro management, which was a skill all by itself. Taunt is just the tip of the iceberg. Players have to manage aggro in a game that rewards zerker-1111 players by the mob relentlessly pounding glass builds to death, then turning on glass healers who had tried to save the dps-er. Mobs did not carelessly wander around, spreading damage between players as much as in GW2. They would just chase nuking mages until a bunker guardian-type taunted to recapture aggro. That more aggressive aggro-control system forced dps-ers to moderate their attacks and coordinate with their group.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

What do the devs see as the role of a necro in raids?

We don’t do damage very well
We don’t do boons very well
We don’t do fields very well
We don’t do heals very well
We don’t do cleanses very well

Chill and Weakness don’t work on bosses, which kills what seems like our best role.

Boon stripping has never worked in PvE since enemies apply boons much faster than our CD’s allow us to strip them.

Will chill and weakness be changed to be more effective? What is the role of the necro in a raid?

PS: please don’t say rezzing, if you need to be rezzed then you have done something wrong, not right. That is not a role.

U alrady answered yourself

Thes smae like we do in dungeons (well funny runs, no facetank crap) or highlvl fractals.

We wait in the town until the useful classes finished it. Or we bet them that we can come one time in a month with our necro, and not with another ele/warrior/guard/thief.

Reaper will change nothing. It makes fun, and it´s looks nice. But still, no real support and not enough dps.

Necromancer will still be the worst class, and chronomancer the only useful specialisation for pvE/fractalcs/raids as we know it right now.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

We the AoE Trash Tanks in GW2 Raids.

We gather up trash mobs and face tank them with Shroud and Blinds.
Till allies can burst them all down.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Unless the mobs attack insanely fast Elementalist could group and kill them on their own with the storm glyph’s blind.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Problem being you have neither binding blades or temporal curtain so I don’t know how you’re gonna gather anything seeing as how GW2 does not have a clear and realiable aggro manipulation system.

In fact, if anything it would be ranger pets with beastly warden aoe taunt that would be gathering trash packs if the guardian or mesmer are not doing it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

I expect it will be like WvW roles. Backline-nuke or front line tanky monster.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

Problem being you have neither binding blades or temporal curtain so I don’t know how you’re gonna gather anything seeing as how GW2 does not have a clear and realiable aggro manipulation system.

In fact, if anything it would be ranger pets with beastly warden aoe taunt that would be gathering trash packs if the guardian or mesmer are not doing it.

Possibly in conjunction with those, then. Guardians are pretty tough, yes, but rangers and mesmers, while they’re good at collecting trash mobs, can’t handle fighting huge groups. Even guardians are nowhere near as tough as a necromancer. I wouldn’t be surprised to see guard/necro offtank teams, responsible for gathering and killing large groups of adds.

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

Hopefully, raids will not have skippable content favoring leaps, steps, and stealth.

The whole Aetherblades LW events were so much more friendly to Necromancer. Aetherblades had boons to corrupt and the twisted watchwork lane defense rewarded fear and AoE pretty well.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Hopefully, raids will not have skippable content favoring leaps, steps, and stealth.

The whole Aetherblades LW events were so much more friendly to Necromancer. Aetherblades had boons to corrupt and the twisted watchwork lane defense rewarded fear and AoE pretty well.

I remember dropping a fully traited Spectral Wall right in front of the spawn point for the watchwork mobs. 9 seconds of nothing getting past wasn’t often useful due to AoE DPS on the spawn point, but when it was, it was a gamechanger.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: MeveM.7913

MeveM.7913

So, Reaper got buffed. Very nice for solo’ing etc.

I still don’t understand why anyone would want a Necro in raids. What role do we serve that the other classes cannot do better? Our damage is still not towards the top end, our support is sub par, I feel like the reaper is actually less tanky than normal D/W vampiric build since Reaper is stuck with spite, reaper and soul reaping.

Why make it so all our might generation is for us only? We are such a selfish class that does nothing for a group. I thought this game was all about promoting team play, yet everything about the necromancer is telling us to solo, and unless raids can be solo’d we have no place in them.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I believe in the original grand design of things, necromancer was meant as a support class in the same way as guardian…

able to tank like guardian
able to spam blind like guardians spam aegis
able to spam weakness like guardians spam protection
able to spam vulnerability like guardians spam might
able to spam blind like guardians spam aegis
able to corrupt boons like guardian cleanse conditions
and in some ways also
able to spam fear like guardians spam stability
able to spam poison like guardians spam regen

But condition cleanse became way more common than boon hate, diminishing the strength of debuff compare to boons.
And bosses were made immune or less vulnerable to debuff while nothing of the sort was made for boons.
And soon all classes got sources of most debuff while necro never got any direct support ability.

The only solution I see to rebalance partly this is

• reduce the duration on vuln on bosses to 20% (in a 5-man party) so that vuln would not be something automatic but something you have to work for.
  • Allow all debuff to work on bosses but with shorter duration (not necessarily 20% since those are not as easy to maintain as vuln).
  • Then, make so that bosses apply a debuff around them where boon durations are reduced in a corresponding way to condis.

Bosses should not be immune to weakness or slow while players can apply protection or quickness to themselves. Bring back a boon-debuff balance.

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Greatsword damage is buffed, which is nice, but then you play a power revenant and notice how much more autoattack damage the revenant sword does and Unrelenting Assault is monstrous damage on a single target and gives you evade frames whereas every greatsword attack leaves you vulnerable for a long animation time.