Whats the reason behind fear being 1 second ?

in Necromancer

Posted by: lorndarken.3702

lorndarken.3702

Q:

Before the game was released i remember very clearly the devs at gaming cons claiming necros were the only class in the game to have access to fear , the reason for necros to have fear was so that some level of mitigation could be obtained in a fight for the necro if the need were to arise .

well that unfortunately became a lie of course , but even months after the release of guild wars 2 we all still see that there needs to be some level of mitigation that is indeed needed but what does that get us ? months and months of no response to the issue that continues to plague the class the necromancer .

I never did get to participate during the beta weekends last year so this is only from what i understand to be mentioned by word of mouth . but what i was told was , necros did at one time use to have 4 seconds to their fear , and when in downstate , the 4 second fear was also an aoe . now i dont know if that much was to be true since im only going by what i was told by another player in game .

but it got me to think . i look at the other classes in the game that are capable of casting a fear much longer than the fear necros have . these other classes are the warrior , the ranger , and the thief .

the thief’s fear can only be used when it is stolen from a necro but it has a cast time built into it and for a good 3 seconds that fear can either be used to help the thief game some level of mitigation or flee from a fight .

the rangers fear can only be used from their pet , the pet itself has some cast time but gives out a 3 second fear to the target when it is near , the reason behind this is to help the ranger either gain some level of mitigation or flee a fight .

the warrior’s fear can only be used from a skill slot , the fear duration depends based on the distance of the targets to the warrior , the fear can stretch to 2 to 3 to even 4 seconds based on how close that target is to the warrior . the reason behind why warriors have fear is so that they can obtain some level of mitigation or flee a fight .

now correct me if im wrong , but . if arena net making the claim that necros are so powerful that they are meant to have a 1 second fear because they dont need the mitigation of a 4 or 3 second fear because of how they were designed ? and if that is so , then please explain to me why there are there so many threads on guild wars 2 forums of people complaining about how under powered the necro is from many users that even to the point of people saying they will quit playing a necro till the class gets fixed .

i want to know why ?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Here is a better question: why do those other classes, which have numerous dodges and blocks available to them (and even invulnerability for warriors and traited rangers), need fear for mitigation?

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

Necromancer has fear regardless of what build you make. Better cooldown than the other options too.

in Necromancer

Posted by: LordThroat.7890

LordThroat.7890

Anyone ever notice that the skills that thieves steal off other classes are better than the actual class skill?
eg. stolen whirling axes that you can move with, and what was stated in the OP. Why?

On the subject of fear we could do with a duration buff. Right now it just feels like we’re just prodding them away from us instead of making them flee in terror. I’m not talking massive increases just enough to make it noticeable.

in Necromancer

Posted by: anathemawhite.6879

anathemawhite.6879

This might be the reason, might be not.
Maybe because our fear can deal damage if traited? And can deal +50% damage if traited more.
I don’t know how much total damage a 1 second fear can deal, but in some other thread some dude mention it is a lot. If we have 4 seconds fear I think the damage will be awesome.

Misfortune falls upon us

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

This might be the reason, might be not.
Maybe because our fear can deal damage if traited? And can deal +50% damage if traited more.
I don’t know how much total damage a 1 second fear can deal, but in some other thread some dude mention it is a lot. If we have 4 seconds fear I think the damage will be awesome.

Same trait, actually. Let’s put it this way: with just the condition damage from 30 points in Curses, I have hit 720 damage on my fear. Most likely this is the reason why we have short durations.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

While I wholeheartedly agree that the stolen Fear is ridiculous, I think the fact that we can chain fears together makes up for it.

Depending on the target, a well timed corrupt boon or spinal shivers can turn stability into a fear, at which point you can use Staff 5 to keep it going, followed by Deathshroud 3.

Yes, this is situational, but a lot of other professions have extremely effective combinations that are only achievable from a situational standpoint.

But for the love of kitten I can’t figure out why Thieves have the longest fear in the game, and its an AoE. :/

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

Pretty sure the warrior “fear me” is longer if they are right on top of you than the stolen fear.

The logical reason behind the fear durations is because of the cooldowns on our fear skills. DS3 when traited and stacked up with condition duration is a 2 second fear on a 17 second cooldown. Staff 5 is a 2 second AOE fear on a 32 second cooldown when traited.

Considering with that same setup, you can also grab reapers protection for a 4 second AOE fear every 90 seconds when stunned, an aoe fear on being downed for 2 seconds (90 seconds), and your downed state fear for a 4 second single target fear (10 seconds – of course your downed).

So as you can see, the reason why they seem to be unwilling to increase the base durations would be that a build focused completely on fear, condition damage, terror, would be wildly difficult to deal with in Spvp, where the skill balancing takes place.

That being said, I would love it if people actually had to take a fear breaks because they were concerned about the potential of a necro fear build owning them. As it stands right now, no one really worries about that aspect of it.

in Necromancer

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Honestly, I think it would be fine if they were just to look at the Theif stolen skills and nerf those that were better than the class stolen from had. An example would be the axe from rangers: no reason the thief should be able to move and the ranger can’t when the ranger is the one who has actually trained with axes. Nerf the Thief fear to match Reaper’s Mark. Again, no reason why a theif should be able to pull off a better fear than the supposed “master of fear”.

“Fear Me” is fine in my opinion, since it’s on a 90 second cooldown. Likewise the Ranger pet is probably fine as the shark is not controllable by the ranger and the wolf has a fairly noticeable windup before it goes off.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

now correct me if im wrong , but . if arena net making the claim that necros are so powerful that they are meant to have a 1 second fear because they dont need the mitigation of a 4 or 3 second fear because of how they were designed ? and if that is so , then please explain to me why there are there so many threads on guild wars 2 forums of people complaining about how under powered the necro is from many users that even to the point of people saying they will quit playing a necro till the class gets fixed .

i want to know why ?

Most UP threads are noobs whining, they are in every class forum and they exist because a lot of players are bad. Take it all with a grain of salt.

More than anything we just need to see all the kittening bug fixes. Fix the kitten kittening classes so we can actually see where the kitten we stand. This kitten should be WAY more of a priority (for all classes) with the devs.

My opinion on Thief fear? If it can kill you in the duration of the CC, it’s OP. This isn’t an FPS, combat should last more than 3 kittening seconds. Where’s the strategy or skill?

(edited by Brew Pinch.5731)

in Necromancer

Posted by: kidbs.8920

kidbs.8920

Necro fears should all be AoE especially given their short duration.

SoR – Nethernoz (Necro), Zealot of Pain (Guardian), William The Butcher (Ranger)