Where does the damage come from?

in Necromancer

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I understand a lot of necromancer power builds use a dagger mainhand but from experience, while not utterly weak, it seems the dagger mainhand autoattack wouldn’t be what I’d consider bursty. I mean thieves have backstab when they want to go raw power with a dagger. I only have a condi necro alt (I plan on learning this class extensively so I have two classes I can be thorough at) so as it seems, an immobilize and a life leech don’t seem that powerful. And the warhorn doesn’t offer a burst skill either. Does the power burst come from being hit with multiple skills at once? Well of power? Lobsters?

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Uhhh… I think you mistake this profession as a bursty one. Necromancer gets a large portion of its dps from bleeds, siphons, and sucking up damage without retreating, or being able to. When a Necromancer enters a fight, desired or not, he or she is 100% comitted to victory or death – mostly death.

in Necromancer

RedSpectrum.1975

Uhhh… I think you mistake this profession as a bursty one. Necromancer gets a large portion of its dps from bleeds, siphons, and sucking up damage without retreating, or being able to. When a Necromancer enters a fight, desired or not, he or she is 100% comitted to victory or death – mostly death.

I dunno man, a necromancer once almost downed me in literally 3 seconds, and I’ve spectated some do some insane DPS without conditions in PvP, so then I wondered where that spike comes from since they don’t have one move that does it all.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

As power necro your burst comes from the two damage wells. If both wells are placed at the same time and then by simple auto attacking (lich aa is especially devestating and dagger aa is one of the hightest dps aa’s) you can burst any profession down in seconds. But that is a lot more difficult to pull of than a burst combo from a thief, as any decent player will not stand in your wells. And other professions have better burst (less time to react).
Aside from well bombing i dont think necros have many burst options.

But that said necros are more about pressure than burst even as power spec.

(edited by Muchacho.2390)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

I dunno man, a necromancer once almost downed me in literally 3 seconds, and I’ve spectated some do some insane DPS without conditions in PvP, so then I wondered where that spike comes from since they don’t have one move that does it all.

You were probably standing in the damage wells, they hit really hard…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Does the power burst come from being hit with multiple skills at once? Well of power? Lobsters?

Ahhh, a Well of Lobsters. Now that would be epic.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

in Necromancer

RedSpectrum.1975

You were probably standing in the damage wells, they hit really hard…

See i thought this since they usually place wells before attacking. So then would the damage be cut significantly if one kited them from the well?

Does the power burst come from being hit with multiple skills at once? Well of power? Lobsters?

Ahhh, a Well of Lobsters. Now that would be epic.

For using or eating?

in Necromancer

Posted by: kekuso.5837

kekuso.5837

Typical power necro skill chain is:
DS 5 > 2 > 3 > Dagger 3 > Wells > Auto attack
Should be enough to kill most non-bunker specs.

Power necro dagger auto atk sometimes hit over 2k each hit, and Life Blast should be hitting for 3-5k depending on your traits.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

If you can get your wells to tick more than twice on an opponent, kudos. I’m a Powermancer, and I only use some Wells, and they’re defensive (Well of Power, namely), as I can do a better job of controlling its full effect.

But so far, everyone seems to expect Wells to be the only way to burst. Try this instead:

Dagger 3 > Focus 4 > Enter DS > DS 1 > DS 3 > DS 1

If you enter DS before Focus 4 hits, each bounce has a 50% crit chance, which can total around 3.5-4k damage when they are rooted and the only target nearby. You’re going to do some damage from Weakening Shroud, then DS 1 is going to often crit for 3 – 5k, depending on a lot of factors (enemy health , enemy toughness, gearing for power, gearing for critical damage, etc.). If you catch a Zerker player, you can easily do 10k with the initial combo up through DS 1. The next DS 1 after 50 health is going to proc Chill of Death if they are below 50% health (which they likely are), and if you have Close to Death, both your DS 1 and the Spinal Shivers are going to have a 50% chance to crit and 20% damage, meaning you can do about 7 – 8k on that DS.

That’s about 18k damage in the roughly 3 seconds following Dagger 3 landing, again very much depending on your gearing, traiting, and enemy gearing.

However, I wanted to point it out mainly because it has nothing to do with Wells.

Oh, and Focus 4 bouncing 3 times on an enemy gives them 12 vulnerability stacks. Forgot to factor that in.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ghostextechnica.3270

Ghostextechnica.3270

Dagger 3 is the key to getting people to stay in wells.

Especially little timmy.

When I get that feeling I want… spectral healing.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Dagger 3 is the key to getting people to stay in wells.

Especially little timmy.

Yeah, but there are so many blinks/ports/immob breaks that I just don’t trust it. I could either use up a utility or even two trying to get a well burst in, or I could bring along something like Corrupt Boon and Plague Signet to really help control a fight, and still get good burst out of really low cooldown focus abilities + DS.

I also don’t sPvP, so fights are often decentralized. I just never really liked damage wells in PvP, is all, and I wanted to make sure it was known that it wasn’t the only way to burst as a Powermancer.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rapier.3675

Rapier.3675

Imo: DS 5 (decent burst at the end and u wont interupt it with another skill) > DS 3 > focus 4 while in fear > dagger 3 > well and just finishing him of.

If you can get your wells to tick more than twice on an opponent, kudos. I’m a Powermancer, and I only use some Wells, and they’re defensive (Well of Power, namely), as I can do a better job of controlling its full effect.

But so far, everyone seems to expect Wells to be the only way to burst. Try this instead:

Dagger 3 > Focus 4 > Enter DS > DS 1 > DS 3 > DS 1

If you enter DS before Focus 4 hits, each bounce has a 50% crit chance, which can total around 3.5-4k damage when they are rooted and the only target nearby. You’re going to do some damage from Weakening Shroud, then DS 1 is going to often crit for 3 – 5k, depending on a lot of factors (enemy health , enemy toughness, gearing for power, gearing for critical damage, etc.). If you catch a Zerker player, you can easily do 10k with the initial combo up through DS 1. The next DS 1 after 50 health is going to proc Chill of Death if they are below 50% health (which they likely are), and if you have Close to Death, both your DS 1 and the Spinal Shivers are going to have a 50% chance to crit and 20% damage, meaning you can do about 7 – 8k on that DS.

That’s about 18k damage in the roughly 3 seconds following Dagger 3 landing, again very much depending on your gearing, traiting, and enemy gearing.

However, I wanted to point it out mainly because it has nothing to do with Wells.

Oh, and Focus 4 bouncing 3 times on an enemy gives them 12 vulnerability stacks. Forgot to factor that in.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Mostly from things like Dagger auto, Life Blast. But there’s something. I heard many times from people on duelling servers, that often my condition damagekilled them, not direct dmg. Now I run a lot of transfers which may be the reason, but couple of these players were almost strictly power, like Rangers or such. They said that over very quick duels, my bleeding alone was doing like 5-6k damage. I was curious of the source of that since I have only 200 condi damage without might and my weapons, apart from Dagger 5 don’t inflict any condi damage.
My “investigation” led me to two traits I use. Deathly Perception and Barbed Precision. With Locust Swarm active, Life Transfer and nearly 100% crit chance, minor trait from curses procs… Very often. It’s kind of funny

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Necromancer

Posted by: Towelie.4637

Towelie.4637

I either Chill them if im on my perm chill mod or cripple them with Locust swarm if on my LF regen mod and stay near them with auto attack, indeed with bersek.
My chain auto attack on dagger can hit 600-600,900 and then 1800. That while shiponing life with the trait.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

Lobsters?

Nailed it right there. +1. =)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cupnoodle.5431

Cupnoodle.5431

I think you may have been mistaken about weapons. Dagger gives some amazing damage, but I wouldn’t call it a bursting weapon. I’m a power necro and I actually use axe/wh. My burst comes from axe 2, which does 5-7k regularly and up to around 10k if he is below 50% health. My other burst is life blast with 5k+ each and then life transfer getting up to 6k.

Necromancer – Cup Noodre
Ectoplasm Ltd. [GLOB] Maguuma
“Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Burst is from dagger 4 and staff 4.

If you use DS offensively, that’s burst, since life force does not regenerate OOC ( no sustain)

Long cooldown devastating abilities fill out your burst. Wells, signet of spite, corrupt boon…

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

Burst is from dagger 4 and staff 4.

If you use DS offensively, that’s burst, since life force does not regenerate OOC ( no sustain)

Long cooldown devastating abilities fill out your burst. Wells, signet of spite, corrupt boon…

wat? dagger 4 is a blind

@op watch my impractical glass build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyhVfupyJ7U

CD

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nemiros.3590

Nemiros.3590

Hello fellow necros! Ive been playing mostly power necro for a while aon tpvp and here is my input. Im on my phone so forgive my spelling.

Basically dagger horn is the best weapon set to control the fight. With 30 into spite (20% more dmg under 50% health and chill of death trait + eagle runes) as soon as your oponent reaches 50% health he should be done.

Make him use his dodges before dager 3 and then well him + aa and DS aa. This should do15-20k dmg in under 4seconds. For thieves you can alwayz use DS 4 when they try to stealth away.

If you REALLY want to burst someone down, like a bunker, do this same thinng but after you well him use lich. GG

Edit: oh! And always fear that heal!

(edited by Nemiros.3590)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lurock Turoth.9085

Lurock Turoth.9085

If the necro that hit you was using Axe/Focus as one of his sets that can burst very kittence fully stacked (food bloodlust wvw stacks full ascended) my axe 2 is 14k on the low end, with a max (that I have seen) of 27k then focus if shotgunned at close rage will hit 4 times for 2k-4k per hit.

However as others have said power Necro isn’t really about bursting its about sustained high damage. with DS and high base hp you can take bursts while dishing out high damage.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQAQRBIhduhJEoHvXt4MRFGGqHrj78hA-jECBYfDimgIyEGgUBAZmFRjtNoIas6aYKXER1SBMqyI-w

Angst Hex, [FLOT] BG Havoc/Roaming
http://www.twitch.tv/disasterdrew

in Necromancer

Posted by: Enundr.9305

Enundr.9305

short and simple that damage comes from everyone but necro <bazing>
and not sure what to tell ya , i either prefer MM (not as viable in this version cause someone up there has a kitten against being a pet build for any class) or conditionmancer…..would give up conditionmancer in a heartbeat to have MM made remotely viable like it was in GW1