Which character should become my main?

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

This is a very silly, very subjective question – but I would like some input regardless.

I have 3 characters; a Necromancer, a Ranger and a Warrior. I’ve leveled every profession to 80, but have deleted a lot of them because I didn’t enjoy them and ended up only keeping my Necromancer and my Ranger. I later created a second Warrior because neither the Necromancer or Ranger are ever very welcome in Dungeons (which I will usually do a few of each day for gold.)

Most of what I do is WvW. Scouting, roaming, havoc and of course I zerg from time to time as well! I love my Ranger and my Necromancer evenly and I rotate between them pretty evenly as well… But I’m starting to want to make one of them my “official” main. I want to craft full ascended for one of them, get additional bag slots for one of them (although they both already have one extra, but more inventory space never hurts!) and I’d also like to have a few alternate armor/weapon sets for one of them. Of course I can do all of this for both, but I simply would rather spend more time on one of them than the other, just a preference thing.

I have more fun on my Ranger than my Necromancer, I consider myself at least mildly more skilled with my Ranger because I seem to win more fights and often win fights where I feel like I should have lost. There are of course other times where I lose fights I feel I could have won, possibly with ease, on my Necromancer, but all professions/builds have a hard counter so it doesn’t usually frustrate me too much.

So, with all that taken in to consideration, which do you think I should give all the goods to? I have also posted this thread on the Ranger forum as I feel I will get varying responses from both parties.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Necromancer

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

You sound so much like me! I have had up to 5 level 80s plus many others started but deleted them all to focus on my necro, warrior and thief. Sadly, I have not played ranger, so I can’t comment on the good/bad points of that class.

My advice is to main the one you have the most fun playing. I spent a good deal of time on my necro, then mained the warrior, ankitten ow back to my necro again because I just love the options I have playing her. I still use my warrior for dungeons and some other “bring your highest DPS toon” content, but necro for me is the go-to.

If you have the most fun with the ranger, main that one. I felt very much like you. I’d rather spend lots on one or two that I really love than spread my “wealth” over a bunch of toons I never really use. By the way, when I deleted all my high level toons and salvaged everything I had on them, I made over 400g! Best decision I ever made.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

I think the response in both subforums will be the same: we can’t tell you what your personal preference is.

However, regardless of what profession you end up going with, necros profit the most from ascended armor because vitality infusions increase your regular hp and lf pool.
And keep in mind that ascended gear is account bound, so maybe make a prefix that every class can use so you can switch if you change your mind later on.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Why do you need a ‘main’ in this game? Clearly different professions excel at different aspects of the game.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Necromancer

Posted by: Scarran.9845

Scarran.9845

I think you partly answered that question yourself. For me I main Necro as it is the class that I have the most fun with as I no longer do Dungeons, Fractals etc with Necro its mostly all WvW.

I play games to have fun and therefore I like to pick the class that provides me the most fun as my main. You have said that Ranger is the class that provides you the most fun therefore I would be more inclined to say go for Ranger. It’s not as if your Necro is suddenly going to be left on the streets with a cardboard sign looking for a new home.

It is always going to be there for you to go back to. But if you’re looking for the one which would benefit the most from ascended items or is more viable in WvW then id be more inclined to go with Necro. But then I must admit ive never been a fan of the Ranger class but as flow said if you can find a middle ground for both classes then ascended items are account bound so you might get away with having the one set for both.

Of course if you’re a Shamy Ranger then it might be hard to work that into a Necro build.

Axere – lvl 80 Necro
Nemmeister – lvl 80 Engineer
Jay Knot – lvl 80 Warrior | Rusty Colt – lvl 80 Thief

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Why would you ever delete an 80? Its painful enough to level a new character. :P

You should always keep them so if you ever feel like playing something different you can.

I have 11 lvl 80’s. I havent even deleted the duplicate classes because that would be such a waste. :P

in Necromancer

Posted by: Scarran.9845

Scarran.9845

Why would you ever delete an 80? Its painful enough to level a new character. :P

Especially under the new trait system its even more painful to level a new char. Im just glad the ones I disliked I still kept therefore everything bar the new elites is unlocked.

That way if I ever feel like playing Mesmer, Ranger, Guardian or Ele I can still go back to them.

Axere – lvl 80 Necro
Nemmeister – lvl 80 Engineer
Jay Knot – lvl 80 Warrior | Rusty Colt – lvl 80 Thief

in Necromancer

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

You should always keep them so if you ever feel like playing something different you can.

I have 11 lvl 80’s. I havent even deleted the duplicate classes because that would be such a waste. :P

Personally, this isn’t something I just did “just ’cuz”. I literally had some 80s sitting there for months and months, and every time I logged on and looked at them my immediate thought was.. “naaahhhh, not as much fun as [insert any other class here]”. I had so much expensive gear and runes tied up in them that I finally decided it was time to just let them go and salvage my investments.

That freed up some coin to get my 3 main [fun] characters some cool new stuff that will actually get used.

The kicker is that just before deleted them I actually purchased 2 new character slots. Now I have 4 empties :p

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

It was harder IMO to choose because of ascended gear and legendaries, but now that they’re account bound , it’s really just who do you want to gear and costume out first, which isn’t that hard, but I would get a zerk warrior first because it’ll make farming easier to gear out all your other chars