Why I have never rolled a Minion Master

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sentinel.5731

Sentinel.5731

Hey guys,

First post in the Necro threads, hope no one murders me for this. I wanted to get some opinion about what I view to be the single most disappointing thing in the entire GW2 game.

But first, the why. I love Necro. In GW1 back in the day I used to love to roll a MM and build mountains of minions to slaughter my way through helpless victims. I remember back in the day when Factions came out and i was most excited about what new types of minions i could summon to my aid… truth to be told the entire Necro experience for me was tied up in Minion Mastery.

I don’t say this to change the future, or whine about the past. I explain this so that when you see the next sentence you have some background for why i refuse to roll a MM necro in GW2. It has nothing to do with balance, or skill, or design.

The flesh golem is rather pitiful

I remember rushing to get the elite skill before because when I summoned that monstrosity i felt like the king of the undead, like nothing could stand in my way with my giant golem cleaving away foes like a scythe through wheat.

So eagerly i looked up the Flesh Golem in gw2, and was underwhelmed by the small spike arms and seemingly low res textures. I have tried to love it, and accept it as the rightful heir to devastation, but i cannot.

anybody else feel this way? anybody else remember the glory that this guy used to be? Convince me the new one is cool guys, i WANT to believe

RIP buddy

Attachments:

Morvik Dragonslayer
FF | Nerf

(edited by Sentinel.5731)

in Necromancer

Sentinel.5731

Also as a side note, i would THROW MY MONEY AT ANET if they could give us purchasable skins for our minions, especially the flesh golem. All my money, they could have it.

Morvik Dragonslayer
FF | Nerf

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sieg.8439

Sieg.8439

So… TL;DR – You enjoyed playing MM in GW1 and think the Golem in GW2 looks dumb, so you won’t use it?

Hoopa doopa.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dredlord.8076

Dredlord.8076

Also as a side note, i would THROW MY MONEY AT ANET if they could give us purchasable skins for our minions, especially the flesh golem. All my money, they could have it.

this is major area I see ANET wasting huge opportunity in the gem store.

skins for armor weapons and pets could be raking in the gems.

I would be interested in playing a minion spec if my golem at least looked cool while he watches me kill things.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

The flesh golem is rather pitiful

I have to say, I love every minion design except Flesh Golem and Bone Fiend. The rest are appropriately disgusting, for creatures made of assorted accessible deceased organic material, and imo look the part quite well. Not to say that everyone loves them, or that I wouldn’t like new skins for them, but I am happy with them.

However, Bone Fiend just looks so meh compared to the other minions in my mind. He isn’t bad, I’m just not like “that’s pretty sweet”, like I am for the rest. Flesh Golem is just… sad. In his own right, he’s okay, he certainly looks menacing, but I remember GW1 Flesh Golem like you, and holy crap did he look monstrous.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

They even reused the worst one they had for two types of minions. Bone minion and jagged horrors/lich version of them. Ughh. Rats? Really? And yeah low-res textures and fairly uninspiring textures to begin with. Wurm is probably my favorite one because he doesn’t look like an appendage amputated from a mutant but he doesn’t move >_>

You seen risen shark? That is the epitome of AWESOME. Hell risen grubs look wicked. Abomination make golem look like like a failed asura experiment with sex golems.

in Necromancer

Sentinel.5731

this is major area I see ANET wasting huge opportunity in the gem store.

skins for armor weapons and pets could be raking in the gems.

I would be interested in playing a minion spec if my golem at least looked cool while he watches me kill things.

I would seriously pay $USD for the old Flesh Golem skin, not a doubt in my mind. I have to agree with what some of you guys have said, the Wurm is a cool minion. But i do not understand why they did what they did with the other ones.

It would be interesting to know what the goal was, so far nobody has come on with a large amount of Love for the new models, or are those people just quiet?

Morvik Dragonslayer
FF | Nerf

in Necromancer

Sentinel.5731

You seen risen shark? That is the epitome of AWESOME. Hell risen grubs look wicked. Abomination make golem look like like a failed asura experiment with sex golems.

i seriously lol’d way too hard at this. +1

Morvik Dragonslayer
FF | Nerf

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

It would be interesting to know what the goal was, so far nobody has come on with a large amount of Love for the new models, or are those people just quiet?

Flesh Golem aside, the new models are better in my mind. The old Bone Minion models were god-awful, the new ones I like much better (rats fit necromancy just fine), shadow fiend is ADORABLE, and he used to be tied to DS so it fits. The only ones that I don’t like are Bone Fiend (its not bad, its just meh) and Flesh Golem.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

Flesh Golem aside, the new models are better in my mind. The old Bone Minion models were god-awful, the new ones I like much better (rats fit necromancy just fine), shadow fiend is ADORABLE, and he used to be tied to DS so it fits. The only ones that I don’t like are Bone Fiend (its not bad, its just meh) and Flesh Golem.

Well I would disagree on bone minions… but at least we can all agree golem looks like a fail.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

I love the golem actually, I just love the old one much more.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

I love the golem actually, I just love the old one much more.

Thats the problem though, in my mind. I can’t not think of the old one when I look at him.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

I would love a more armored appearance.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Necromancer

Posted by: Argis.7049

Argis.7049

I was so incredibly disappointed when I saw the minion appearances for the first time in GW2. I personally think they all looked way better in GW1.

Myrmidon Elite [ME] – Arkham [Ark] – Maguuma
PvP/WvW videos – http://www.youtube.com/user/noscopeentertainment/videos

in Necromancer

Posted by: Enundr.9305

Enundr.9305

I was so incredibly disappointed when I saw the minion appearances for the first time in GW2. I personally think they all looked way better in GW1.

the appearance didnt bother me , the lack of usefullness for them outside of open world pve is what dissappointed me the most

in Necromancer

Posted by: Minas Adun.6819

Minas Adun.6819

Aww, the current Flesh Golem needs some love; always looking up to its older (GW1) brother is no good for minion morale. Perhaps a tiara to make it feel like the prettiest princess.

(edited by Minas Adun.6819)

in Necromancer

Sentinel.5731

Love a good necro of a good necro thread in the necro forum =P

I really like all the comments, i wonder if Anet would pay any attention to this kind of info…

Morvik Dragonslayer
FF | Nerf

in Necromancer

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

So eagerly i looked up the Flesh Golem in gw2, and was underwhelmed by the small spike arms and seemingly low res textures. I have tried to love it, and accept it as the rightful heir to devastation, but i cannot.

anybody else feel this way? anybody else remember the glory that this guy used to be? Convince me the new one is cool guys, i WANT to believe

I felt the same way as you when I first saw the new flesh golem. He was just so underwhelming in appearance in comparison to his GW1 grandaddy.

But I think you really should give him a chance, all appearance aside he’s an absolutely great elite skill, and the only elite skill that has a persistent effect. He hits hard and when you learn to use his charge active skill he becomes even more satisfying to use. Send him into a group and watch them scatter like bowling pins! Send him charging destroyable objects and watch them crumble beneath him! Watch as enemies pitifully try to use their knockbacks, stuns and other control skills on him after he charges, the long lasting stability he gets from it makes him the big monstrous champion of the minions he was always supposed to be. What’s more is that unlike the GW1 minions and the other GW2 minions he will fully heal outside of combat. So that’s less time worrying about keeping him alive more time enjoying the sight of him crushing your foes!

I’m as nostalgic of a necro as any for the old GW1 Flesh Golem. But honestly by the time I stopped playing GW1 regularly the real gold in minion mastery was mastering Order of Undeath. The Flesh Golem may have that big awesome hulking minion power rush but nothing can compete with a row of bone fiends firing volleys that each do over 100 damage per hit. Nothing not even hard mode mobs could survive such an onslaught.

If I could bring any necro skill over to GW2 it would be Order of Undeath, that glorious “power to the max” button that turned your little pack of meat shields into an insatiable horde that tore apart anything that crossed it’s path in seconds.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Minion skins! I want them so bad.

Flesh Golem – Giant chicken (Sesamie Street’s bird would be better, though)
Flesh Wurm – Jack-in-the-box
Bone Fiend – Lazy suzan that flings food
Shadow Fiend – Red balloon with a big smiley face
Bone Minions – Squirrels
Jagged Horror – Chihuahua

in Necromancer

Posted by: Minas Adun.6819

Minas Adun.6819

Nothing quite makes my day like the thought of Big Bird sending a WvW zerg flying like bowling pins on a perfect strike.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

*Same here. Heck, I’d be like “Here! Take my wallet! Here’s my CC numbers, passwords, whatever you want!”

For a loooooooong time I wouldn’t play the necro because of you first post as well. The FG in GW2 is weak looking compared to the GW1. I want my spiky hulk back!

*Incidently, I feel the same way about them adding a Skale to ranger pets!

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Agreed. The first time I saw the Flesh Golem – what with that herpa-durp overbite – I immediately thought of Beaky Buzzard from the Merrie Melodies/Bugs Bunny cartoons and thought, “Ah, hell no!

Hard to get a decent profile image of the GW2 Flesh Golem for comparison where the overbite is much more pronounced. Most of the search results are for the GW1 Flesh Golem; hmmm, wonder why that is? :/

To see ol’ Beaky in action, you can check out this YouTube link

Attachments:

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I honestly don’t mind any of the current skins, however, I do miss the old ones and agree they looked much more frightening and would throw my money as well at them to make purchasable skins for minions. I would prefer it to be something that we could switch around as we saw fit though, in other words, let’s say I purchase the new skins and after a year or so I kinda miss the old ones I’d like to be able to change them back without having to purchase some kind of “skin reset kit”.

Attachments:

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Make a new slot in the wallet like finishers, put all the ability skins there, once unlocked you are able to select a skin (or multiple, depending on skin type/overlap), and voila, done. Seriously ANet, look at riot, LOOK AT THE MONEY, DESIRE THE MONEY, MAKE SKINS!

Or more simply:
Step 1: Make Skins
Step 2: Release Skins
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Make a new slot in the wallet like finishers, put all the ability skins there, once unlocked you are able to select a skin (or multiple, depending on skin type/overlap), and voila, done. Seriously ANet, look at riot, LOOK AT THE MONEY, DESIRE THE MONEY, MAKE SKINS!

Or more simply:
Step 1: Make Skins
Step 2: Release Skins
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit

You know, that’s a good point. Riot makes a TON of money on champ skins!

I think this is an untapped source here. It’s almost as if stumbling upon on a rich gold vein in your backyard but dismissing it.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Necromancer

Posted by: Corfel.8047

Corfel.8047

Just wish MM worked as a viable build lol

~ JQ Server ~ Corfel/Corful/Coreline ~ Team Savvy~

in Necromancer

Posted by: knbBlackTemplar.3059

knbBlackTemplar.3059

I want skeletons and ghosts.. not this abominations

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I would pay money for minion skins… They could be like dyes – you buy the skin, and they remain permanently unlocked on that character so you can revert to previously purchased/obtained skins in the future. I would run around with Halloween inspired, Wintersday inspired minions during the holiday events.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nibi.3572

Nibi.3572

i’ll be honest..

I just want skeletons and zombie hoards! I don’t like the current pet setup and i really hope some of the new skills coming out atleast add what i mentioned already.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tom Wolf.1340

Tom Wolf.1340

One thing id give a lot for is an Aatxe as an alternative to the flesh golem.
That alone would take things to a new level..

in Necromancer

Posted by: Solkard.5136

Solkard.5136

I wish your pets at least scaled up in size like Ranger pets. Anything but an Asura MM Necro looks ridiculous towering over their minions.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

Asking for raising 10 undeads at a time is too much, isn’t it?

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)

in Necromancer

Posted by: The Demonic Spirit.3157

The Demonic Spirit.3157

I think that MM is a God XD
’m a MM ( in both gw1 and gw2 ).
I got 5 80es characters ( MM necro , trapper ranger , demolisher engineer , cleric guardian , signet/shout/banner warrior ).
I think that MM is the best one and I’m the last man standing in dungeons.
In PvP , I can kill any one ( I killed 4 players at once while camping ).
You just need to know how to control them and keep them alive.
My build >> http://tinyurl.com/mw4pqgj
Soldier armor ( mixed with Knight ) will grant you much Toughness and some Vitality so you won’t worry if they killed ur minions.
begin the fight with staff ( land all marks ) then switch to dagger/focus ( you will get might when switching ) , use 4th and 5th skills , 3rd to immobilize your foe , transform to DS and use 5th skills and 3rd ( to increase 5th skill damage by 200% ) , after that use 4th skill to heal your minions , 2nd to tele to your foe , return to your normal form and spam dagger chain attack , then switch to staff …… and so on.. ( This is how I play )
(Remember that Dagger chain attack is the strongest attack for necros even than axe )

All 80es > MM necro is my best ,cleric
guard ,nades eng ,Trap thief \ranger ,signet\shout warrior, zerk mes\ele & shiro rev.