Why can't my Flesh Golem swim?

in Necromancer

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

This is something that has been grinding my gears for a while now, and it’s finally come to the point where I need to rant about it here. Why is it that all my minions function just fine underwater but my flesh golem is dispelled as soon as I go under the surface? While the lack of an underwater elite (the only options I have available dispel my minions and that’s not going to happen) is a pain, what’s worse is getting the summoning cooldown when I get back onto dry land. This is particularly onerous in the WvW borderlands, and it makes NO SENSE.

Please for the love of Pete allow flesh golem as an underwater elite skill.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

They had no animations for it, and apparently were too lazy to ever make one.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

This. In beta, it was fully capable of being submerged. It still attacked and everything. It just kinda… floated there though in the default standing pose, frozen. It still moved around and followed you, though.

A few weeks after launch day and they made it unusable under water stating that they would fix it soon by adding a swimming animation and give us back our underwater golem. That animation never came.

Stuff goes here.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

This. In beta, it was fully capable of being submerged. It still attacked and everything. It just kinda… floated there though in the default standing pose, frozen. It still moved around and followed you, though.

A few weeks after launch day and they made it unusable under water stating that they would fix it soon by adding a swimming animation and give us back our underwater golem. That animation never came.

But at least they took away the Human female animations and ‘fixed’ the Necro Axe animation so that’s a silver lining right? ….wait, nvm.

in Necromancer

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

They gave up on Flesh Golem swimming as they did underwater combat as a while.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Probably decided they weren’t satisfied with UW combat overall, and so didn’t want to use resources to fix something for a mechanic they aren’t really supporting anymore.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

It has a very high Sodium Chloride content, so it dissolves in water. It is still with you; in spirit, at least.
Hope this helped

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Necromancer

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

Golems are traditionally made of clay, and clay can lose structural strength when submerged. Necromancers, even Asura Necromancers, are purists, and prefer not to use stone and metal in their golems.

in Necromancer

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

Golems are traditionally made of clay, and clay can lose structural strength when submerged. Necromancers, even Asura Necromancers, are purists, and prefer not to use stone and metal in their golems.

And for some reason I thought it was made out of flesh…

Alright meow, where were we?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Don’t really like being forced into a useless elite (plague) underwater tbh. I don’t think I’ve found a single use for plague in PvE outside mob skipping sessions in Arah.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

And for some reason I thought it was made out of flesh…

That’s just marketing.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

No, Flesh Golem, and all minions, are literally golems made of flesh. But we all know flesh tends to get wrinkly and pruny, and Flesh Golem really prefers to look as spruced up as possible when fighting so it has to stay out of the water, otherwise it’d ruin its skin.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

binidj.5734

Probably decided they weren’t satisfied with UW combat overall, and so didn’t want to use resources to fix something for a mechanic they aren’t really supporting anymore.

I think you may be right, however there’s still a bunch of underwater environments in the game so really I’d be happy if they just put back the golem’s ability to operate underwater, animations or no.

Piken Square

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Why they couldn’t just make it into a Blood Shark underwater, I do not know. Similar to how Ranger Spirits are underwater.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Doni.3402

Doni.3402

Yea I had the same idea some time ago. It was picked as community questions from the german fan site guild-wars2.info for an interview on the gamescom 2014 (https://youtu.be/YswPZD4TEK4?t=923 the questions and answers are all in english but sadly the background noise is very loud…).
If they transformed the flesh golem to a bone fish or shark for under water combat they could use the shark pet (or any other fish model) as a base model. All animations would only need a little tweak.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

I think you may be right, however there’s still a bunch of underwater environments in the game so really I’d be happy if they just put back the golem’s ability to operate underwater, animations or no.

Then people would not only complain about lack of animations, but also about the lack of polish allowing things to remain without animations. Its lose-lose.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Just make it a risen shark underwater. Wouldn’t even need to add any animations then

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Except then people would wonder why we’re suddenly being followed by a Risen despite that being a massive break of lore, as well as visually weird when you go in and out of water a bunch having a Golem/Shark spawn/despawn constantly.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Easy, switch out the golem’s legs for a mermaid tail! He’ll look fabulous.

in Necromancer

binidj.5734

Frankly I’d take any solution that stops the flesh golem being dispelled underwater and having a cooldown when I get back to dry land. At this point I don’t care if they use a quaggan model, just as long as the thing works!

Piken Square

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Then people would not only complain about lack of animations, but also about the lack of polish allowing things to remain without animations. Its lose-lose.

They allowed wells underwater even though they look terrible.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

Except then people would wonder why we’re suddenly being followed by a Risen despite that being a massive break of lore, as well as visually weird when you go in and out of water a bunch having a Golem/Shark spawn/despawn constantly.

Lore went right out the window when they added those crazy kitten super saiyan hair styles to charr, the crazy colored eyes and hair dyes, wings, holographic laser swords, wings, and 8-bit nintendo weapons with 8-bit sound effects to the game. Did I say wings yet?

Stuff goes here.

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

Lore went right out the window when they added those crazy kitten super saiyan hair styles to charr, the crazy colored eyes and hair dyes, wings, holographic laser swords, wings, and 8-bit nintendo weapons with 8-bit sound effects to the game. Did I say wings yet?

All that and you forgot to mention wings!

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

yes to the Risen part but i disagree about the latter.

The necromancer uses bits and parts of remains to construct their golems and minions.

If the necromancer entered the water it would keep along the lines of lore if the necro “reshaped” the form of the golem to be more water-friendly.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

I got it how about a jellyflesh a giant blob of flesh that floats around stinging stuff and latching onto people

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Same issue, changing design is going to cost them time to do model/texture, animations, etc. Even if they just stole the rigging of an existing mob and just painted over the model, it still takes them some time that they probably don’t want to use on something that is an extremely minor problem that shows up fairly rarely.

Its not an issue of being unable to do it, but unwilling to allocate resources. Don’t get me wrong, I’d really like it, but I don’t see it happening before we get an underwater rework in general.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

Same issue, changing design is going to cost them time to do model/texture, animations, etc. Even if they just stole the rigging of an existing mob and just painted over the model, it still takes them some time that they probably don’t want to use on something that is an extremely minor problem that shows up fairly rarely.

Its not an issue of being unable to do it, but unwilling to allocate resources. Don’t get me wrong, I’d really like it, but I don’t see it happening before we get an underwater rework in general.

AKA: maybe Guild Wars 3.

in Necromancer

binidj.5734

an extremely minor problem that shows up fairly rarely.

Rarely as in multiple times every kittening day rarely?

Piken Square

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

No waterwings obviously.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Necromancer

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

They should replace it with flash shark or something similar and make it underwater. Undead sharks also have the charge skill that knock you back, it fits perfectly.

in Necromancer

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

I’m with bhawb on this one. Underwater has been put on the back burner, and I don’t see it being touched until an expansion focused on underwater combat is released.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

I haven’t touched underwater in ages. PvE is the only place where underwater combat is an issue, and very few important PvE encounters take place underwater (namely like 2 dungeon paths and one fractal). ANet has completely given up on trying to deal with Underwater, and I guarantee the majority of players don’t have a noticeable issue with just having Plague underwater as opposed to Flesh Golem, it isn’t causing people’s build to become weaker in an appreciable way, just an annoyance that you can’t have a preferred skill UW.

If there was modding in GW2 this would exist within a week at most, probably with an extra variety of different sharks to choose from.

That’s because modders don’t have to make an expansion, or deal with bugs, or resource allocation. Completely different situations.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

binidj.5734

I haven’t touched underwater in ages. PvE is the only place where underwater combat is an issue, and very few important PvE encounters take place underwater (namely like 2 dungeon paths and one fractal). ANet has completely given up on trying to deal with Underwater, and I guarantee the majority of players don’t have a noticeable issue with just having Plague underwater as opposed to Flesh Golem, it isn’t causing people’s build to become weaker in an appreciable way, just an annoyance that you can’t have a preferred skill UW.

From this it is abundantly clear that you don’t spend much time roaming in WvW borderlands. Having my golem go on cooldown every time I exit the water is almost as annoying as not having an elite skill that I will ever use while under it … not even a Norn racial skill. When I say multiple times a day I am absolutely not exaggerating, and since my build is pretty dependant on minions for healing and condi clearance, yes it is a pretty big deal to me.

Piken Square

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Then don’t roam with Flesh Golem already active. Its fairly rare, at least when I roamed, to actually get into fights underwater, so all you’d have to do is leave Flesh Golem un-summoned until you actually need him (a good tactic for MM anyway in many situations) and you have no issue. Flesh Golem being disabled is only a big deal when you need to actively use it in combat in water (extremely rare across the game) or going back and forth a lot (also pretty rare).

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Then don’t roam with Flesh Golem already active. Its fairly rare, at least when I roamed, to actually get into fights underwater, so all you’d have to do is leave Flesh Golem un-summoned until you actually need him (a good tactic for MM anyway in many situations) and you have no issue. Flesh Golem being disabled is only a big deal when you need to actively use it in combat in water (extremely rare across the game) or going back and forth a lot (also pretty rare).

Most people just like to have the ugly thing running around with them much like a Ranger pet or a mini to be honest. I know I’m guilty of it as well.

You’re entirely right though, it’s better to just leave it inactive. I know it’s my own stubbornness that gives me problems because I also like to keep my Flesh Golem constantly active and am forced to watch it die any time I have to go through water. So I try to avoid doing that as best I can, lol.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

I’d like to have an underwater elite in PvE which is actually useful. So either give me my golem, or make Lich usable underwater.

I don’t understand how plague, a transformation, can work underwater but Lich won’t work because it’s a “transformation”.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

The problem isn’t just this skill though, the problem is underwater content in general. They released the game with half-finished underwater content, slapped a few fixes here and there, then decided not to touch it again for an undisclosed amount of time. It saddens me really, because I enjoy uw fights quite a bit

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

I don’t understand how plague, a transformation, can work underwater but Lich won’t work because it’s a “transformation”.

My guess is it isn’t Lich’s transformation itself, but adapting the ground targeted skills. Otherwise Lich works just fine, it floats around anyway, the animations should transfer just fine.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

They can make the marks work like wells do underwater. It’s not like developers can pretend we use lich for anything other than the #1.

in Necromancer

binidj.5734

Flesh Golem being disabled is only a big deal when you [are] going back and forth a lot (also pretty rare).

You are aware what “roaming” means right? I am going back and forth across the borderlands literally the whole time I’m playing on my necro. Once my flesh golem ahs been summoned to take, say, a camp I can’t then put it away again for next time I need it. Once it’s out, it’s out. So if for some reason I have to swim (like if something is kicking off in Bay) then I lose the golem … that’s not me playing badly, that’s poor design since every other minion can be used underwater. Now a lot of the time I can avoid water (and goodness knows I do) but that adds to travel time, which is an annoyance at best.

Flesh golem not functioning underwater is a fault with the game, not with how I play it.

Piken Square

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

No, I’ve been playing the game since launch and don’t know what roaming is, you mean to imply it involves moving? Crazy stuff man. /s

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be fixed, I’m saying it won’t be any time soon, so learn to play around it.

My PvP Minion Build