Why do staff projectiles fly down?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Is this the same for others( ele staff, bows..)?

With target the projectile goes ( slowly xD ) in direction to the target.
But with no target it flies down into ground, mostly more than 45° angle. If i cast a mark, but not move, it will go towards the mark. But as soon as i move camera with right click, it goesn into ground again.

If it would fly horizontal straight by default, it would be so much more useful, since:
-u often lose target to stealth
-ever better to LoS moving opponents like eles
- you dont lose time retargeting
-in WvW it could actualy hit and pierce some poeple, if you just fire it toward zerg.

Would it improve gameplay?

Attachments:

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Necromancer

Flumek.9043

and heres what usualy happens, and why you can hit stuff without target if close

Attachments:

in Necromancer

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Using right click to orient yourself, look up slightly, then try firing again.

There’s no protection to keep your character from aiming into the ground, so I find that if I attack without a target, most ranged weapons fire into the ground because that’s where I’ve got the camera (and thus, my character) pointed. But yes, I find at least some form of this on all ranged weapons.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

Actually, this has only been like that since they nerfed Necrotic Grasp’s range. Before that it always flew straight.
So the way the projetile behaves without a target might not be intented.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Using right click to orient yourself, look up slightly, then try firing again.

There’s no protection to keep your character from aiming into the ground, so I find that if I attack without a target, most ranged weapons fire into the ground because that’s where I’ve got the camera (and thus, my character) pointed. But yes, I find at least some form of this on all ranged weapons.

This. Most ranged weapons are like this.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

With no target, ranged weapons will fire in a trajectory that follows a straight line with the last place you moved your camera with the right click mouse button. If you use left click, you can move your camera without changing this trajectory and the projectile will move according to your previous right click camera placement.

Since having a target will fire the projectile towards the feet of what you have targeted, you can use this to your advantage and hit targets up on walls and other locations you couldn’t before. This is done by manually aiming your camera, without having a target, so the projectile hits the exposed midsection or head of your target. Hit boxes are comprised of the entire model, so any part of the projectile, even a small piece of it, that comes in contact with that model will count as a hit, even if half of the model is behind a wall or corner.

However, not all projectiles function like this. For example, Dark Path and Reaper’s Touch will always follow the ground and will never travel over open space.

A perfect example of how this can be used is in WvW when attempting to hit players or boiling oil on walls. Some boiling oil is placed erroneously inside the wall and will always give you obstructed errors when you try to hit it at certain angles. Just aim your camera so the projectile flies through the top of the oil placement and you’ll be able to hit it. The same thing applies to players, so long as they don’t move and dodge the projectile, obviously.

Here are some screenshots I made to illustrate how it works. First image is the position of the camera necessary to hit the oil using right click. Second image I moved the camera to the left slightly using left click. I am aiming at the top of the burning oil without having a target selected.

Attachments:

Stuff goes here.

(edited by Kravick.4906)

in Necromancer

Flumek.9043

does this work for spectral grasp also?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

does this work for spectral grasp also?

Possibly. The trick there is the firing arc of Spectral Grasp as opposed to the straight line of Necrotic Grasp and Life Blast.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

I am have a GREAT deal of difficulty with Lich projectiles lately, trying to get them to hit ANYTHING.

There is sometime VERY wrong with the pathing of our projectiles right now. For instance even to try to hit a cauldron of oil from a stationary position, the projectile typically flies OVER the oil. I had to move to several locations before i could get it to hit. In wvwvw I am surprised to ever land a hit with lich #1 now.

I dont know if its something particular to myself but this needs a fix ASAP!!!!!!!

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

I am have a GREAT deal of difficulty with Lich projectiles lately, trying to get them to hit ANYTHING.

There is sometime VERY wrong with the pathing of our projectiles right now. For instance even to try to hit a cauldron of oil from a stationary position, the projectile typically flies OVER the oil. I had to move to several locations before i could get it to hit. In wvwvw I am surprised to ever land a hit with lich #1 now.

I dont know if its something particular to myself but this needs a fix ASAP!!!!!!!

Lich Form #1 skill’s projectile flies higher than it should, so it never makes contact with certain objects. There are several stationary targets that Lich Form cannot hit because of this. The destructible braziers in CoF are like this. Projectile just flies right over them.

Stuff goes here.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ascii.9726

Ascii.9726

Most projectiles when fired without a target will fire in the center of your screen, so if you look directly up and fire Spectral Grasp you fire it into space or at a giant holographic dragon.

Attachments:

Rank 580+ Necromancer WvW Stream
Commander Ascii :: Tempest Wolves [TW] :: Sanctum of Rall :: Best Necromancer NA

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Weird, lich #1 was working flawlessly for me last night… maybe got a fix in the patch?? Fingers crossed.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry