Why is rune of the reaper so bad?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

I mean, even if you use shouts you’d want the runes of the trooper anyway.

But also it’s going to be hard for anything to compete with rune of the chronomancer + wells.

The 6 bonus on rune of the reaper should be something like “Gain protection and vigor for 3 seconds whenever you use a shout”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Vigor is not getting on necro they could increase the duration of chill and and add damage on shout use or blindness.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I kinda would liked it if they made it so whenever you shout, you stripped a boon, would’ve been interesting.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Trooper runes aren’t all that necessary now that Suffer is a hilarious amount of removal (though with both the removal is insane, removed over 500 conditions in a PvP match yesterday). Trooper is more for support with some selfish cleansing, whereas the Reaper runes were supposed to be thematic, they add chill, and they do so in a way that is a much better effective increase in chill duration, since 600 AoE chill is really difficult to remove.

The runes are fine I think. Yes there could have been other cool flavorful options, and I don’t think they’ll be required because there are a lot of good shout/chill/nonspecific runes, but I think they’re okay.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vydahr.4285

Vydahr.4285

Trooper runes aren’t all that necessary now that Suffer is a hilarious amount of removal (though with both the removal is insane, removed over 500 conditions in a PvP match yesterday). Trooper is more for support with some selfish cleansing, whereas the Reaper runes were supposed to be thematic, they add chill, and they do so in a way that is a much better effective increase in chill duration, since 600 AoE chill is really difficult to remove.

The runes are fine I think. Yes there could have been other cool flavorful options, and I don’t think they’ll be required because there are a lot of good shout/chill/nonspecific runes, but I think they’re okay.

Wait, suffer is better now? I didn’t notice o.o

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

When does the Chill take place on CttB + Reaper runes?

Alright meow, where were we?

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Suffer had its CD reduced by 10s. It is now a 20s (as low as 13s traited), condition transfer, so it can now beat out Plague Signet depending on situation. Though I still think its bad that they directly compete and are chosen one over the other solely based on numbers and if you have traits for one over the other.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ara.4569

Ara.4569

The 360 range on the 1 sec chill is just adding insult to injury.

Also, chrono runes are way better on chronomancers: we don’t have an elite well (and their gravity well is crazy good), our healing well doesnt synergize with anything I can think off and is pretty bad (their healing well can heal for a ton in 3 ticks).

Blood magic (to improve wells) can’t compete with Spite to begin with, or I wasn’t able to find a good blood reaper build yet.

It was fun for a few matches to land quick gravediggers and exec scythe though, but that’s about it, in my opinion.

Balance team is a bunch of clowns, hurting the game to the full extent of their abilities.

(edited by Ara.4569)

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

The 360 range on the 1 sec chill is just adding insult to injury.

Oh…

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

It’s bad because shouts are bad.

A full bar of shouts gives you only one stun break, and one condition transfer (if you don’t get the transfer, you don’t get the condition removed). There’s no blast finishers, no movement utility and no stability in the set. You need a whole lot of other missing utility before you need chil.

Its bad because chill is too short.

A 1.2 second chill is almost nothing. Plus chill only stacks three times. So having one of your three stacks as a lousy 1.2 second chill is bad.

A full bar of 5 shouts gets you like 10 seconds of chill per minute? Thats lousy uptime.

Its bad because the range of the runes is short.

Also what is the toughness doing there? Power/Toughness… Is this what anybody would have chosen? Necromancer does have a toughness nodifier in death magic, so it’s not totally random, but I would rather have had condition duration (longer chills) vitality (does double duty for Reapers), or Ferocity.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

(edited by nekretaal.6485)

in Necromancer

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

A full bar of shouts gives you only one stun break, and one condition transfer (if you don’t get the transfer, you don’t get the condition removed). There’s no blast finishers, no movement utility and no stability in the set. You need a whole lot of other missing utility before you need chil.

A 1.2 second chill is almost nothing. Plus chill only stacks three times. So having one of your three stacks as a lousy 1.2 second chill is bad.

A full bar of 5 shouts gets you like 10 seconds of chill per minute? Thats lousy uptime.

Also what is the toughness doing there? Power/Toughness… Is this what anybody would have chosen? Necromancer does have a toughness nodifier in death magic, so it’s not totally random, but I would rather have had condition duration (longer chills) vitality (does double duty for Reapers), or Ferocity.

I agree that it need another stun breaker, but the rest is unnecessary. You have other utilities! Sacrifice one thing to get another.

in Necromancer

Khristophoros.7194

Toughness is good on necro because it enhances the sustain of things like shroud and siphons.

Anyway I was really asking why Anet made this rune so bad. I agree with you that the reaper shouts are bad, but if you do choose to use shouts, there are better runes and that’s the real issue with these particular runes. Like you said, the chill is pretty worthless so I’d either use the trooper runes or a totally unrelated rune that has a better effect.

So what gives, Anet? Why did you make this rune bad?

in Necromancer

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

I’m a casual PvPer, and I don’t WvW very much…. I use strength runes with Chilling Victory for perma 25 stacks of might in PvE… i find it quite hilarious.

in Necromancer

Khristophoros.7194

I’m a casual PvPer, and I don’t WvW very much…. I use strength runes with Chilling Victory for perma 25 stacks of might in PvE… i find it quite hilarious.

Just goes to show we don’t really need additional sources of chill from a rune. We have enough to make Chilling Victory a strong trait without that rune.

in Necromancer

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

Additional sources of chill are never a bad thing. the closer you can keep the chill uptime to 100%, the closer you are to wining by just about default. AOE chill is also very VERY good in any team fight situation.

chilling victory isn’t honestly a “corner stone” trait anyways. It’s basically just some additional might procs for blighter’s boon.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

(edited by striker.3704)

in Necromancer

Posted by: CCLegion.5936

CCLegion.5936

Reaper runes have interesting interactions with chilling victory.
Since the chill from the rune is procced first, it ends up giving you a stack of might for 5s and 1% LF for every enemy hit in that range. The same interaction also applies to Hydromancy sigils. Can also proc Chilling Nova when it crits.
About the toughness on it. Condition or even just chill duration would’ve been interesting. Vitality is nice too but unless you are fighting condition builds, toughness is better.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I need to play around with these runes a bit, but on paper they sound cool (pun intended). More Chill is always a good thing, and the 360 range isn’t that big a downside since you want to be in melee range anyway.

With regards to Shout stunbreakers, I dunno, I pretty much always run Foot in the Grave so I don’t care too much about that. Plus you could always take one of the other stunbreakers; just because you’re running a shout build doesn’t mean you have to take 5 shouts!

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I would trade that chill for +30% base chill and weakness duration.

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

When does the Chill take place on CttB + Reaper runes?

Anyone?

If it is at the beginning then you could cancel-cast Chill constantly. If it is at the end it would be beyond pointless.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

It won’t be on the beginning of cast, it’ll only be when it affects someone. Nothing in the game (that I know of) allows you to begin casting a skill, gain some kind of effect, and cancel the skill before it has finished casting and have the skill not go on its standard CD.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

It won’t be on the beginning of cast, it’ll only be when it affects someone. Nothing in the game (that I know of) allows you to begin casting a skill, gain some kind of effect, and cancel the skill before it has finished casting and have the skill not go on its standard CD.

Rune of Chronomancer + Well of Blood cancel-casts for Quickness.

in Necromancer

Posted by: CCLegion.5936

CCLegion.5936

Same thing happened with Signets of Suffering when the June 23rd patch hit and that got fixed pretty quickly. Don’t count on it staying for more than a patch or 2.

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

Same thing happened with Signets of Suffering when the June 23rd patch hit and that got fixed pretty quickly. Don’t count on it staying for more than a patch or 2.

2 patches can be a good amount of time.

in Necromancer

Khristophoros.7194

Only WoB?

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

Only WoB?

Out of the Wells, yes. You can cancel-cast the others but they cancel out the actual Well and put it on cooldown, making them 30+ second recharges for 2 seconds of Quickness.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

I mean enjoy it while it lasts but I wouldn’t be investing in class specific runes for an obvious exploit that’s going to be fixed.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

I mean enjoy it while it lasts but I wouldn’t be investing in class specific runes for an obvious exploit that’s going to be fixed.

SPvP investment is only 5g. :P

in Necromancer

Khristophoros.7194

It’s still going to be a great rune if you run wells.

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

It’s still going to be a great rune if you run wells.

It is.

This actually makes Well of Blood worthwhile though, and it should be like this normally. Currently a Traited Well of Blood with Chrono runes can give 11745 healing against 5 targets with a 32 second cooldown and 3/4 second cast time, plus the Protection. This, to me, is finally a heal worth taking instead of Consume Conditions. Heck, put it on a Reaper and then use Spin-to-Win for the Cleansing Bolts.

EDIT: on a Marauder build.

(edited by meow one twenty.4376)