Why is the Necro so bad

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Iridi.8473

Iridi.8473

I’ve been playing necro since the game was released and im just really shocked at how much the necromancer is lacking in comparison to every other class. There’s no point playing it in raids or pvp. Fractals, they bring decent utility with epidemic, but that’s about it. WvW, wells/marks are below average. You’d need a substantial number of necros imo to make condi in WvW worth it otherwise you’re basically going to be running mid-line wells and well the enemy blob just moves out of your 2 wells.

It seems every class can do something better than the necro, whether its dps via power or conditions, whether its group utilities, etc.. I cant think of a logical reason to play necro.

Am i the only one? I want to love the class but every time i go into pvp and realize my class is the worst one here i just get frustrated (especially since its basically all guards). No matter how good i play, eventually it wont matter due to the difference in class quality.

Necromancer is the worst class hands down. Wake up Anet.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Boon Corruption or play something else is my opinion on necromancer/reaper.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Axl.8924

Axl.8924

While it is frustrating beyond words, its doable in pvp.

You just got to remember that besides being able to 1v1 bad thieves and sometimes good ones, you can’t solo warriors, or at least not efficiently, and you could always just cc enemies to make them lose if they are trying to gank you while your friend is fighting someone.I saved my own life by ccing someone while my partner who was a rev killed a guy.

You probably shouldn’t solo queue as a necro, as its a team player.I found that going around solo=Death in ranked.

I wish it wasn’t but wishes aren’t going to change the devs minds

(edited by Axl.8924)

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

In pvp the problem is death shroud. The necro has no traits/skills to avoid damage or disengage a fight. This makes him a perfect target to burst down. There is only life force generation and death shroud which do not keep up with all the damage improvements everywhere.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Necro’s not bad, it’s just limited by it’s design.

The theory behind the design make the necromancer outstanding in the game with an unlimited amount of survivability through life siphon and life force generation and powerfull support via “curses” (soft conditions). Theoretically the necromancer rip off the strenght and life out of it’s enemy for a tyrannic and unyelding gameplay. The necromancer doesn’t need to dodge, he is the core of the battlefield, gaining strenght from the suffering of the surrounding allies and foes.

In game it’s not quite right but the design is everything so it seem that we have to deal with it.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Azzara Nectum.1734

Azzara Nectum.1734

I actually like the necro.. both in PvE and PvP
I’ve had more success in PvP playing Reaper than playing Ranger, a much higher win rate..

PvP is always a delicate balance between succes of fail.. time a skill bad and you die.. No matter which class..

I do agree though that Warrior is way to OP… The sustain on that class is complete bullkitten!

— Slave of the Free World —

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Iridi.8473

I’ve had more success in PvP playing Reaper than playing Ranger, a much higher win rate..

PvP is always a delicate balance between succes of fail.. time a skill bad and you die.. No matter which class..

I do agree though that Warrior is way to OP… The sustain on that class is complete bullkitten!

An evenly skilled necro vs guardian? Guardian wins.
You guys already established we cant 1v1 warriors.
Evenly skilled necro vs engi? Engi wins because it can invuln/stealth away.
And the list goes on.

Now dont get me wrong, for the most part I do win matches on my necro, and much of the time i am capable of 1v1ing and in certain instances 1v2 if stars are aligned. But that doesnt stop the fact that we’re extremely under powered in terms of sustainability.

In PvE, i could care less, but will say that they’re still garbage dps for raids which is why nobody wants necros in raids, besides having practically 0 raid buffs/utility.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Iridi.8473

The theory behind the design make the necromancer outstanding in the game with an unlimited amount of survivability through life siphon and life force generation and powerfull support via “curses” (soft conditions). Theoretically the necromancer rip off the strenght and life out of it’s enemy for a tyrannic and unyelding gameplay. The necromancer doesn’t need to dodge, he is the core of the battlefield, gaining strenght from the suffering of the surrounding allies and foes.

In game it’s not quite right but the design is everything so it seem that we have to deal with it.

So what you’re saying is they made the necro trash by design? And being limited by design is equivalent to being bad. Because when a limited hero goes up against a idk, a non-limited hero?, then we just insta lose? “Our intent is for the necro to be used in raids/groups”. Okay, then why are we so trash at it? Why do we practically 0 raid support? Why does something as simple as our warhorn 4 not give party quickness while the warrior warhorn 4 does? This limited by design, if true, isnt justification to why nobody should ever play the class.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Am i the only one? I want to love the class but every time i go into pvp and realize my class is the worst one here i just get frustrated (especially since its basically all guards). No matter how good i play, eventually it wont matter due to the difference in class quality.

• You’re not the only one
  • Anet don’t fix necro because Karl McLain doesn’t main it
  • Come on AmazonGames, you know you want him!
Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: IronPhoenix.2045

IronPhoenix.2045

What is the theme of Necromancer? Weaken enemys.

What should a Necromancer bring the group? Boon remove and weaken enemys with vulnerability so the full dps classes deal more dmg. Necros got a high surviavability so the dont need the highest dps. But increase others dps with 25 stacks vulnerability fits to their playstyle and makes them a must have if the other classes get less access to vulnerability.

Necromancers 25 stacks vulnerability like ps are needed for 25 stacks might. Simple change with high impact.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Iridi.8473

What should a Necromancer bring the group? Boon remove and weaken enemys with vulnerability so the full dps classes deal more dmg. Necros got a high surviavability so the dont need the highest dps. But increase others dps with 25 stacks vulnerability fits to their playstyle and makes them a must have if the other classes get less access to vulnerability.

Necromancers 25 stacks vulnerability like ps are needed for 25 stacks might. Simple change with high impact.

Unfortunately, your “theme” means nothing in pvp. 25 stacks of vulnerability? Gone with 1 skill. And guess what, you’ll die before you can put those stacks back on since you’re on cooldowns.

Necros have high survivability? In what world? 0 stability. 0 invulnerability. 0 damage mitigation. 0 blocks. 0 evades (other than energy). What, since we have a second health bar which we need to build up? Yea, go see how quickly a guard will burn you down with your 2 health bars.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Svarty.8019

Unfortunately, your “theme” means nothing in pvp. 25 stacks of vulnerability? Gone with 1 skill. And guess what, you’ll die before you can put those stacks back on since you’re on cooldowns.

Necros have high survivability? In what world? 0 stability. 0 invulnerability. 0 damage mitigation. 0 blocks. 0 evades (other than energy). What, since we have a second health bar which we need to build up? Yea, go see how quickly a guard will burn you down with your 2 health bars.

Two health bars is a dumb mechanic since as soon as you start to lose, you’re doomed. All the effective attacks AND the only mobility (in the case of Reaper) depend upon the second health bar being available and since it’s not available, the Necro always dies.

So enemies just kite around and ping down health bar #1 and then move in to wipe out the worthless vanilla Necro.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kirnale.5914

Kirnale.5914

I think a good starter fix for the lifeforce problem would be to make it recharge on x% per second outside of combat until it reached something like 50-75%. That way you can counter classes who keeps disengage a bit to wear your life force down.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

I think a good starter fix for the lifeforce problem would be to make it recharge on x% per second outside of combat until it reached something like 50-75%. That way you can counter classes who keeps disengage a bit to wear your life force down.

Absolutely this! LF should work similar to Warrior Healing Signet but instead of +HP we gain LF instead (In Combat & Out of Combat as LF do not have passive/active like Signets). 50% is too low as we can be bursted down in secs due to our “defence”.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Iridi.8473

OOC isnt good enough though, especially in PvP. For example: vs a thief, he can just unload on you, drop you out of DS, get you to 50% and run away with condis on you. You’re still in combat. You’re dead.

The issue isnt necessarily life force generation/regeneration. Its (1) the utility we have to survive in shroud… which doesnt exist and (2) the utility we have to survive outside of shroud… which doesnt exist.

The number of times i’ve been interrupted trying to use my only healing skill is countless. Meanwhile I watch warriors/guards/engis/rangers walk around basically dead and heal up because they can use invuln skills and heal during that phase. They can even burst heal if you put conditions on them while they are invuln. Its actually a joke. Those classes vs each other is fine, but throw in the necro and it becomes a joke. You actually cannot compete with any of them.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

necro in wvw worked for its well bombs.
with hot came resistance, and there is no reasonable way to strip it. everyone is running around pretty much immune to 3/4 of the skills thrown at them.

necro in pvp is vital for the boon corrupts vs bunkers. they are the best at maintaining weakness, which kills power builds. in this power heavy meta necro is at a pretty good spot.

survival is hard, but with a bit of team support you can pull through.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Iridi.8473

necro in wvw worked for its well bombs.
with hot came resistance, and there is no reasonable way to strip it. everyone is running around pretty much immune to 3/4 of the skills thrown at them.

necro in pvp is vital for the boon corrupts vs bunkers. they are the best at maintaining weakness, which kills power builds. in this power heavy meta necro is at a pretty good spot.

survival is hard, but with a bit of team support you can pull through.

Yea, so in theory, if you have an organized team in your pvp match, then you can bring something to the table with boon strip. That being said, there’s a large chance your boonstrip doesnt connect due to the number of blocks that exist on bunker classes so it comes down to timing which means can you survive long enough to even boon strip.

What does this mean to the current state of pvp where you can only duo queue? Nothing. Often times i am finding myself soloing the objective since people are getting side tracked by hunting thieves or fighting way off points. This could be due to off-season, idk. But, basically im soloing alot. As a result, i run power boonstrip necro and try to outplay my opponent. The number of times i’ve lost to a guard who has been to 5% hp and regen’d because he has a ridiculous amount of invuln/blocks/heals…. actually makes me want to just stop playing necro all together. Its beyond the “counter” class. Its literally negates our entire class. And like i said earlier, it doesnt matter how well i play. The difference in class quality is just too high for skill to make up for it. You would have to be completely new to guard/warrior/engi/ranger to lose to a necro.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Dadnir.5038

So what you’re saying is they made the necro trash by design? And being limited by design is equivalent to being bad. Because when a limited hero goes up against a idk, a non-limited hero?, then we just insta lose? “Our intent is for the necro to be used in raids/groups”. Okay, then why are we so trash at it? Why do we practically 0 raid support? Why does something as simple as our warhorn 4 not give party quickness while the warrior warhorn 4 does? This limited by design, if true, isnt justification to why nobody should ever play the class.

Nop, it’s stupid but what I’m saying is that the design of the necromancer is theoretically overpowered and anet want to stick to this opness. The fact is that OP design do not fare well in the game but anet have proven throught all those year that they still want to stick to it.

- Defense? Necromancer is supposed to be a damage sponge.
- Support? Necromancer is supposed to debuff foes to do that.
- Offense? Necromancer is supposed to outlast it’s foes, not to burst them to death.

We are limited by the very area where we are supposed to be OP simply because our design is highly limied by the design of the game.

I know it doesn’t work well, ou know it, every player know it as well but we’ve been proven years after years that the design is everything for the necromancer. And when the actual game come close to this very design, like it once happen, the pvp crew can’t help but shed blood tears and Anet mercilessly give them justice by nerfing the necromancer.

What’s sure is that anet will stick to that design. Our only hope is that, one day, we will see strenght rise from our weakness (like how good we fare in high end fractal that are basically designed for necromancers)

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Svarty.8019

So what you’re saying is they made the necro trash by design?

I’ll say it. Necro is trash by design. Done. Think I’ll dust off my Guardian.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: ZombieSlayeR.8702

ZombieSlayeR.8702

And the list goes on.

Now dont get me wrong, for the most part I do win matches on my necro, and much of the time i am capable of 1v1ing and in certain instances 1v2 if stars are aligned. But that doesnt stop the fact that we’re extremely under powered in terms of sustainability.

In PvE, i could care less, but will say that they’re still garbage dps for raids which is why nobody wants necros in raids, besides having practically 0 raid buffs/utility.

You literally cannot loose against engi on nec lol
Lf gain outsustains engi easily and corrupts kill them

~Nefras~

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

This game ideology is to make every class able to do everything. Dps, support, healer, mybrid, direct damage, condition, with some classes better for one things and other for others. Then come the elite specializzations that granted to some classes to do totally new roles (mesmer bunker, warrior with condition damage, thief bunker with perma-evade, engi melee dps, and more).
The Necromancer is the Only class in this game that can’t do that “everything”.

PvE:
Our dps is bad, just bad. We can’t support our team, both in a offensive or defensive way, just because the only thing we’re able to is spam weakness but also other classes can spam it (two warriors -top dps- in team and you will never need a low dps necromancer to spam weakness). We can corrupt boons… but… where’s the boons to corrupt? Only few in some raids, but also a revenant with mallyx can do that, while able to inflict higher damage, or a mesmer (mesmer was the first class able to remove boons from the enemy, just to say).
We can survive better as solo, but in team we’re unable to be healed while in shroud, losing all the survavibility a elementalist can grant to all the other classes, making them survive better than us.
But ehy, we have Epidemic! But medium condition damage, then we need at last another condi class to obtain a high effect with that skill.

WvW (zerg, I don’t practice so much roaming with my necro, I just get killed by any thief that run around making joke of me with perma stealth and mobility)
We’re able to spam wells to inflict good damage and corrupt boons. Nothing more. If someone chose to kill us we’re dead, the same as in sPvP, or even easier because if you’re good you kill first necros, even in zerg (if I catch a necro on my target i focus him and kill him fast and easy).

sPvP: we’re able to corrupt boons, but nothing more. We totally depend on LF to survive and inflict good damage. If we don’t have anough LF we die or we’re unable to end our RS5+RS4 combo (that take 4 seconds to fully land). Out of Shroud we’re the easiest class to kill and our damage is at a medium level.
Also our boon corrupt ability work only against few classes because if the enemy don’t spam stability or might there’s nothing useful to corrupt (at last swiftness but there’s so much movement skills that is useless to cripple an enemy, if he want to flee he flee), and in this meta there’s a lot of classes that don’t need to spam boons to burst us down easy and fast (warrior, guardian, thief, mesmer, for example). Then there’s the warrior: we can corrupt al the stability we want, he will obtain more and more and will ignore our fear because he have 15 sec od Resistance, enough to kill us easy and fast.
Then there’s a large amount of heavy CC in this game that kills us just because we have poor access to stability, expecially if unable to enter in shroud.
Also, if we want to do something useful we Need someone to help us all the time, basicly playing as one, making the team play like in 4v5 because one need to stay all the time on our back to ress and protect us.

Then there’s our Elite Specializzation!
Remember the new role granted to a lot of classes? We obtained to be able to AoE a down a lot of enemies at once with a mighty Greatsword and shout out our fury to unleash devastation on the battlefield as a giant unstoppable Juggernaut!
That’s the theme of our elite specializzation, and that’s the reason you see everywhere necromancers spam high dps AoE, win against masses and masses of enemies at once and eat bosses like candies just spamming Gravedigger…right?
Oh, right, we totally lack defensive skills to do that…
And also the Gs is unplayable…
And the dps of the GS is more or less at the same level of the dagger, but the dagger with vampiric and warhorn can dop a higher dps…
Yeah, a totally new role!

We had to be a unstoppable and always feared juggernaut! Where’s the fear? Where’s the dps? Where’s the burst? Where’s the GS?
We totally lost it because the necromancer is not made to inflict good damage or have defensive skills…

We’re unable to do high dps, unable to give team support, need support all the time in sPvP, the elite specializzation don’t grant us any new role and the only role we can do is corrupt boons and hope it’s enough to not get slaughtered by basicly everyone.

Wow, we’re seriously strong…

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

We totally lost it because the necromancer is not made to inflict good damage or have defensive skills…

Seems that the evil necromancer is designed to always die by the good warrior’s hand.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Iridi.8473

And the list goes on.

You literally cannot loose against engi on nec lol
Lf gain outsustains engi easily and corrupts kill them

Really? The engi has really good disengage. They can rinse and repeat as many times needed until they burn the necro down which is super dependent on LF. So when they disengage, that’s no LF gain for us.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Stand The Wall.6987

lol if youre losing to guardian blocks bring unblockables… maintain weakness, dodge pull. win.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Iridi.8473

Nop, it’s stupid but what I’m saying is that the design of the necromancer is theoretically overpowered and anet want to stick to this opness. The fact is that OP design do not fare well in the game but anet have proven throught all those year that they still want to stick to it.

- Defense? Necromancer is supposed to be a damage sponge.
- Support? Necromancer is supposed to debuff foes to do that.
- Offense? Necromancer is supposed to outlast it’s foes, not to burst them to death.

We are limited by the very area where we are supposed to be OP simply because our design is highly limied by the design of the game.

I know it doesn’t work well, ou know it, every player know it as well but we’ve been proven years after years that the design is everything for the necromancer. And when the actual game come close to this very design, like it once happen, the pvp crew can’t help but shed blood tears and Anet mercilessly give them justice by nerfing the necromancer.

What’s sure is that anet will stick to that design. Our only hope is that, one day, we will see strenght rise from our weakness (like how good we fare in high end fractal that are basically designed for necromancers)

What’s your definition of a damage sponge? Ability to absorb a lot of damage? If that’s the case, arent we one of the worst? We technically have 2 health bars but that alone doesnt make us a damage sponge. A warrior can absorb more damage or a chronomancer (Raid tanks??) by ways of blocks.

Support, ok, we’re able to debuff people via boon strip.

Offense? Necro has probably the worst kit to “outlast” somebody. Again, with no sustainability utilities, we actually dont survive.

There is a very very large difference between “theory” and reality here. The theme of necromancer can be whatever it wants, but it needs to balanced amongst the other classes. And likewise for the other classes. But the fact is, necro has the worst kit of any other class in the game. If you cant burst someone down as a necro, chances are, you wont outlast them. Especially since every other class has better heals, condi removals, damage mitigation, cc mitigation, and good disengage (in some form or another).

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Iridi.8473

lol if youre losing to guardian blocks bring unblockables… maintain weakness, dodge pull. win.

Ok, and how do you plan on getting on point to cap it vs a guard? If an infinitely open space with no objective other than to kill the opponent, you’re correct. But in a limited area, with an objective that needs to be defended/taken, the guardian overwhelmingly out classes the necro. You can dodge the pull. You can keep up weakness. It doesnt matter. You need to get onto the point. And it just doesnt happen with the guard traps.

Also, its not just blocks. Its the blocks, invulns, and burst heals. You cant bring unblockables vs an invuln.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Stand The Wall.6987

well if theyre that much of a problem don’t 1v1 them then. pls don’t complain about the 72sec cd invuln.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Iridi.8473

well if theyre that much of a problem don’t 1v1 them then. pls don’t complain about the 72sec cd invuln.

You’re kidding, right? You’re justifying one skill based on its cd? And again, you ignore the fact that im talking about the entire class kit, not just 1 skill. Your comments are meaningless.

Likewise, “dont 1v1 them then” is an extremely ignorant answer. You’re missing the entire point of my thread. Based on your logic, necros shouldnt 1v1 anybody then, but that’s not something we have control over.

(edited by Iridi.8473)

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Dadnir.5038

@Iridi

I think that yo don’t get what I’m saying. I’m not defending the current design, I’m pointing out that it is flawed and everyone know it but Anet will stick to it until the end.

However, when overusing some of your skills, you can indeed achieve a descent amount of survivability throught damage absorption without having to nullify those damage. This is done by stacking the shroud with SA and locust swarm. It’s not fantastic but in fact it allow you to endure a high amount of damage for a descent amount of time. And don’t say that it is not the case I’ve used it so much in zerg v zerg than I know that it rival guardian’s invuln skills.

For the support… In the necromancer’s community there is 2 kind of players. The one that defend the fact that conditions are the necromancer’s way to support and that shouldn’t be changed. And the one that think that this way to support is not fit with the game as a whole. I’m part of the later group. As the game stand, this support design does not work, with the tools that the necromancer have it just can’t work, it never worked until now and I highly doubt that it will ever work. The necromancer simply need better support tools.

As for outlasting your opponent, again, I agree that it’s not good enough and it doesn’t fit the whole game gameplay. Our tools for that are life siphon and life force generation. It’s a pain to say it but those 2 tools seem extremly difficult to balance and as soon as the necromancer seem to gain a better survivability thank to those tools, there is an uproar in pvp that lead to a nerf of these tools. Our design is to slowly rip life from our enemy and eat it up, strenghtening ourself throught slaughter. I know it doesn’t work but that’s our kittening design!

What I want, hope, is at least an e-spec that cut us off our 2 life bar. Simply put, instead of becoming the shroud, we would create a shroud beast and access a skillset design to control it. This done, there is no reason to not give 2-3 invuln skills to this e-spec and thus put us on the same “level” as all other professions.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Axl.8924

Axl.8924

Its not just invuln, but stuns ccs instant burst dmg that is crazy and out of control.

Too much bursts from every direction.

Personally, i think necro could definitely use help in survivability by a lot without nerfing our dmg.We necros often won’t live long enough in spvp to see someone die because we get bursted down by rangers thieves warriors guardians and memsers.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Stand The Wall.6987

lol. what I’m saying is don’t slam your head repeatedly into a brick wall if you don’t have to.

Why is the Necro so bad

in Necromancer

Posted by: DTATL.9641

DTATL.9641

As others have said, the way shroud works is the problem.
Necro survivability only works well with a lot of smaller packets of incoming damage, which makes it really strong in open world pve, pretty decent while zerging in wvw with and within a tankier meta in pvp. It can’t deal with high spike damage aside from our 2 dodges. As the amount high damage spike increases , necro survivability gets worse. Blocks, blinds, evades and invulnerability don’t have this problem as it’s always 100% effective no matter the damage.

Sure we have blinds but in PvE this doesn’t really work as the bosses/champs don’t get affected by it as it only reduces their breakbar rather than making them miss. In WvW we can’t apply enough blinds to be able to rely on it reducing damage as unless you are roaming and fighting smaller groups, there are way more people than we could apply blinds to(compared to blocks,evades, invulns which apply to yourself). In PvP blinds are mostly ignored with resistance and/or attacks with multiple hits which makes it situationally useful.

If shroud were less passive(with no cd or very low cd, kind of like a engi kit so we could swap into it absorb and leave) and could only lose, let’s say 25% of it’s max from an attack and/or second it would actually work a lot better and the devs would have a point.