Why minions look the way they look

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

I’ve been reading forums today and came across a few posts about how minions could us a visual overhaul / rework and I completely agree.

The problem is, the whole reason that the minions look the way they look is because Anet is catering to the Chinese playerbase.

In China, skulls or visible bone is considered taboo so most online games are now conforming to those laws.

Notice that the only minon with a skull is the bone minion which I guarantee has a different face in chinas version of the game.

Basically, you guys are stuck with fleshy sacks of plucked turkeys because China doesn’t like visible bone.

The real reason why their “lore” was changed lol. “LORE”, basically meaning they needed to come up with a reason why necro’s don’t use bones lol.

Thats why they have a bunch of skeleton minis (not released in china) so the necro has some way some how to feel like a necro XD

Look at the new Reaper in Overwatch, same thing. His face only slightly resembles a skull. Online games are conforming to China’s ridiculous taboo’s day by day. Soon…. maybe you’ll find skull to be taboo. Then you can thank Anet for supporting Chinas superstitions.

Realize.. Anet didn’t make full body bone golems like this

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/green_420/ZombieTroll.jpg

Because they don’t want to offend china… They don’t care what you think they only care what china thinks (a bit harsh of me but in this instance its just true lol))

so we get this

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/f/f9/Flesh_Golem.png/240px-Flesh_Golem.png

A plucked turkey.

I sound like some crazy necro activist XP Anyways bleh

(edited by TheDevice.2751)

in Necromancer

Posted by: insaneseagull.7063

insaneseagull.7063

I’ve been reading forums today and came across a few posts about how minions could us a visual overhaul / rework and I completely agree.

The problem is, the whole reason that the minions look the way they look is because Anet is catering to the Chinese playerbase.

In China, skulls or visible bone is considered taboo so most online games are now conforming to those laws.

Notice that the only minon with a skull is the bone which I guarantee has a different face in chinas version of the game.

Basically, you guys are stuck with fleshy sacks of plucked turkeys because China doesn’t like visible bone.

The real reason why their “lore” was changed lol. “LORE”, basically meaning they needed to come up with a reason why necro’s don’t use bones lol.

Thats why they have a bunch of skeleton minis (not released in china) so the necro has some way some how to feel like a necro XD

Look at the new Reaper in Overwatch, same thing. His face only slightly resembles a skull. Online games are conforming to China’s ridiculous taboo’s day by day. Soon…. maybe you’ll find skull to be taboo. Then you can thank Anet for supporting Chinas superstitions.

Realize.. Anet didn’t make full body bone golems like this

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/green_420/ZombieTroll.jpg

Because they don’t want to offend china… They don’t care what you think they only care what china thinks

so we get this

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/f/f9/Flesh_Golem.png/240px-Flesh_Golem.png

A plucked turkey.

I sound like some necro activist XP Anyways bleh

Are you trolling? As far as I know the minions have looked the way they look now since 2005.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks
IGN: Sparkly Darkness/Sinh Verdandi/Got D Boons
Guild: Anime And Manga Club [AMC]

in Necromancer

TheDevice.2751

Are you trolling? As far as I know the minions have looked the way they look now since 2005.

uhhh i know. I dont understand your point =/

Im saying this was done during development. im really confused by qhat you mean maybe you misunderstood my post

(edited by TheDevice.2751)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

They didn’t make the game to be Chinese friendly, the Chinese localization includes a lot of changes. Put the tinfoil hat away.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

TheDevice.2751

They didn’t make the game to be Chinese friendly, the Chinese localization includes a lot of changes. Put the tinfoil hat away.

thats what they want you to belieb……….

in Necromancer

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

thats what they want you to belieb……….

Are you being intentionally stupid? Minions have always looked like the way they do, this goes back to guild wars 1. The reason why minions are not skull and bone is because they are not summoning the dead but creating life from the remains of the fallen.

Except for you inability to spell correctly, your argument fails the moment you realize that guild wars 1 was not officially released in China.

in Necromancer

TheDevice.2751

Well I like my theory more than the idea that they just enjoy using minion models that are genuinely terrible XD

I don’t understand why they would keep those models. What’s the reasoning? So much money into production and those are the minions they came up with.

That seems so hard to believe man I juts can’t see that being their natural intentions. I mean look at the Bone Golem lol. Be like “welp that looks great. Slap it on the kitten and send it on out”

in Necromancer

TheDevice.2751

Are you being intentionally stupid? Minions have always looked like the way they do, this goes back to guild wars 1. The reason why minions are not skull and bone is because they are not summoning the dead but creating life from the remains of the fallen.

Except for you inability to spell correctly, your argument fails the moment you realize that guild wars 1 was not officially released in China.

I really didn’t know those looked the same my bad man. Absolutely right what was i thinking.

Attachments:

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gizmorage.6412

Gizmorage.6412

So, this is the chinese version of our cherished cough bone minions. i think i prefer their version. At least they admit they’re some kind of risen rats.

Attachments:

“Trust me, i’m a medic”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

They are actually golems made of deceased organic “legos”. But yeah the Chinese ones look pretty cool honestly. I’d like to see them be designed better but w/e, its pretty low on my list of issues with Necromancer, and pretty low even on my list of issues with MM.

Also, the Chinese taboo is against human skulls, its why all the human-looking skulls were changed to just generic looking skulls that aren’t human.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Snip

I honestly do not think it was planned.

Still, it is an interesting supposition.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Wintermute.5408

Wintermute.5408

While the models aren’t that great, I like the idea behind them. I was always wondering, why most necros settle with zombies and sceletons, when they can create some really unique and more dangerous creatures.

Welcome to Rivendell, mister Anderson

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nyth.3492

Nyth.3492

Well it’s very unlikely that Chinese laws are the reason why the minions look so kitten y. If that was the reason they at least couldve gone for something that is still pretty good looking (or simply make two versions).

I’m sort of assuming that these minions are a remnant of the alpha/beta, where the models were suppose to be updated but they never were. The reason I always thought so is because they stick out like a sore thumb when you look at polygon count and the texture resolution for example, as well as the colors used.
The only one that looks somewhat decent IMO is the bloodfiend (still low resolution textures) and the shadowfiend because of it’s rather unique model.

I really hope that ANet is going back to fix the models, because they could REALLY use an update. The minions really need to look more sinister/macabre and have a grittier appearance than what they are now.
The flesh golem is the best example when you compare it to GW1. The GW1 model/textures look flat out better because it looks more macabre, instead of a “turkey with an icecream cone on it’s head” that is the GW2 model.

While the models aren’t that great, I like the idea behind them. I was always wondering, why most necros settle with zombies and sceletons, when they can create some really unique and more dangerous creatures.

So do I. But I liked the GW1 minions quite a lot better.
THe whole zombie and skeleton thing is quite logical, as you’re just reanimating corpses. In most game they tend to go for humanoids (hence the skeletons and zombies). In GW they were smart enough to take a different angle and use creatures mostly. The bone fiend is simply a resurrected devourer.
The flesh golem seems to be more of a merger of multiple things.

RP wise I always imagine that reanimating something “unique and dangerous” takes a lot more effort to do and sustain. Hence why the flesh golem is an elite.
Another reason not to do that, is that it’s not worth it from the necromancer point of view. All you’re doing is reanimating temporary bodies so you can win by force. Taking a long time to summon something stronger and unique doesn’t weigh up against a quick summon of a couple of simple things; especially since they’ll deteriorate or get discarded soon enough anyway.

in Necromancer

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

Nothing to do with China, necro minions have always looked different from the stereotypical zombies and skeletons in ANet’s games. The Bone Horror in GW1 was the one that looked closest to a standard skeleton, but even that was weird with its creepy eyeless face. My favourites were the Bone Fiends (or headless chickens as I liked to call them).

I’ve often said though that there’s a lot of people (me included) who’d pay gems for custom minion skins! (and custom turret skins for engis etc) Maybe zombie kittens instead of Bone Minions, or clown face paint for the Flesh Golem, stuff like that. Would be funny and cool!

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

So, this is the chinese version of our cherished cough bone minions. i think i prefer their version. At least they admit they’re some kind of risen rats.

Those look like deformed mousers from ninja turtles :P

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Plyply.8621

Plyply.8621

I’ve often said though that there’s a lot of people (me included) who’d pay gems for custom minion skins! (and custom turret skins for engis etc) Maybe zombie kittens instead of Bone Minions, or clown face paint for the Flesh Golem, stuff like that. Would be funny and cool!

Please I would love minion skins!!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tobias.8632

Tobias.8632

I always loved the way the minions look in this game. By far the best aspect of the minions is their visual design, because everything else about them sucks.

They look like if you took a bunch of gore and offal and random body parts and used them to build robots made of meat. That’s the whole idea of necromancy is it not? Take these organs, these tendons, and these bones, stitch them together like legos to create a construct that will do what it is bid. They nailed it.

People talk a lot of **** about the way the flesh golem looks, but it’s like you’re creating this thing and it’s whole purpose is to charge into things and knock them down and do damage, so you give it a lot of weight and something hard at the front, it looks like it is fit for its intended purpose.

in Necromancer

Posted by: A Volcano.2510

A Volcano.2510

I don’t really buy into the whole Chinese conspiracy theory thing, but yes the summons look lame.

As other people have said, they look like palsied puppy dogs with Tourette syndrome.

I would welcome any effort actually to make them look cool.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Orochimaru.3485

Orochimaru.3485

I honestly believe the minions could use a bit of a rework also. I’m not saying they look bad, Gw2 art is always lovely. But I would be happy if they looked more intimidating. I personally do not like the look of the shadow fiend and I really miss the art for the Guild Wars flesh golem. I also think the blood fiend could look a little more interesting as well.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

The reason why minions are not skull and bone is because they are not summoning the dead but creating life from the remains of the fallen.

A concept I really enjoy, personally. The lore I have for my Necro supports this and it makes it so wonderfully gory (: She doesn’t cast a spell and raise the dead, she collects limbs and entrails and crafts her undead army by hand.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma