Will necro still be worthless as a roamer?

in Necromancer

Posted by: CratZ.6270

CratZ.6270

Because in that case I’m not buying HoT.

Hate this discrimination vs necros that has been going on for all these years.

I’ve played all the classes and just don’t feel like spending time on another class really.

in Necromancer

Posted by: lorndarken.3702

lorndarken.3702

whats the matter ? you don’t want to play the game on hard mode anymore ?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Necromancer isn’t a bad roamer because of discrimination, but mismatch between design and role. Its like saying Thieves are discriminated against because they aren’t part of the hammer train.

Also Necromancer can roam fairly decently, you just have to be more aware than normal of groups so you don’t get caught. But land-speed wise we’ve got it really easy, SoL, WH + trait and/or runes, Quickening Thirst plus D/x or x/D, Traveler runes. The only issue is getting away from a bad fight.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

(edited by Bhawb.7408)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Onerios.4962

Onerios.4962

Roaming is never going to be as effective on necromancer as it is with other classes since it is part of the design that we don’t get the ability to disengage (and thereby avoid getting into fights that we are less likely to win) in exchange for, in theory, preventing others from disengaging as easily. Not sure quite how well that has turned out in practice, but since being able to chose not to fight is rather key to a successful roamer if that’s what your looking to spend a lot of time doing you may want to look at other classes who have a toolset better suited to it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

Necromancer are excellent duelists. Also in WvW (that is the subject right?) you can basically take any fight with a full LF thanks to ambient creatures.

So necro is not a worthless roamer. They just live more dangerously than others. If you look, only stealth allows (near-)100% safe disengage, so with this, only thieves and mesmer (and to some extent engineer or trap rangers) would qualify as good roamers.

Reaper is a bit better on this respect. They have built in stability and one short CD dash. Not great, but better.

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Reapers are pretty awesome for WvW roaming. Downsides to Reaper (and base necros) in WvW roaming are:

-Stealth classes choose engagement, so you have to be ready to get popped on.
-Mobile classes can choose to disengage when they want to and run away, you have little way of stopping them from running away.
-When you get +1, +2, or +zerg, you’re likely going to die because you can’t nike away or stealth. If it’s a +1 or +2 sometimes it’s better you just truck it through and try to fight ‘til death, you’ll be surprised how well Reapers function against more than 1 target.

If you’re ok with these downsides, and understand death happens, you should enjoy Reaper in WvW as I have over beta weekends. There are builds that perform better than other builds when it comes to solo roaming. There are also paper, rock, scissors when it comes to certain builds going up against certain builds. So as long as you understand WvW is a fluid environment, you never know who you’ll bump into, or how many you’ll bump into, and understand a good fight can easily be ruined by +1 or +zerg, then you’ll be fine.

It’s all about managing expectations. Reaper is a much better WvW roamer than base necro, no matter whether you run power, condi, or cele builds. And they’re just so darn fun and engaging to play. Reapers offer unprecedented mobility, stab, sustain, and more cc options than base necros. All of these things help you be a better roamer.

(edited by gavyne.6847)

in Necromancer

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Worth noting there are beta weekend videos of Reaper WvW roaming, you can check them out.

Donee’s our resident Condi Reaper extraordinaire: http://www.youtube.com/donee
There’s always Hollts for good ’ol Power Reaper ownage: http://www.youtube.com/user/HolltsGaming

There are others, these 2 guys just came to my mind for WvW roaming. I’m no celebrity like the other guys above, but I had fun playing cele signet & zerker/valk reaper builds over BWE3. Here’s a vid I made with solo roaming & +1 fights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXiDPZBGURI

Reapers are just fun times, 2 more days!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cell.6821

Cell.6821

I think Reaper/Necro not being a “meta” roamer is just fine. You can’t have one profession do well in every game mode. That said, if you do want to roam, you have the option.. Just may be not the most optimal. But if you like the class and enjoy playing it, go ahead mate!

There will always be people who post vids of them roaming with necro and doing exceptionally well.. But I always think these people are playing at higher skill level (and thus more successful) or skillful use to edit “boring” parts out (losing fights, people running away, meeting into zergs etc).

If you wanna be the meta roamer, I don’t think this class is for you.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

Haha, thanks Gavyne

Worthless? Nothing has ever been worthless in roaming except for low lvl uplevels.
Great? Nope, like pointed out above, mesmer/thief and some niche builds from other classes dominate the roaming scene.
Better? Yup, death’s charge and infusing terror alone make it so much easier!

Don’t give up on reaper

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

in Necromancer

Posted by: pierwola.9602

pierwola.9602

Roaming is never going to be as effective on necromancer as it is with other classes since it is part of the design that we don’t get the ability to disengage (and thereby avoid getting into fights that we are less likely to win) in exchange for, in theory, preventing others from disengaging as easily. Not sure quite how well that has turned out in practice, but since being able to chose not to fight is rather key to a successful roamer if that’s what your looking to spend a lot of time doing you may want to look at other classes who have a toolset better suited to it.

That’s the real problem.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

If u look at Vidz made by Choxie,Hollts and Donee how can ppl still then say Necro is worthless as a Roamer ? sure its not optimal but for every class it still in the end it comes down to the skill of the player, some classes just gives u more tools.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

A Necro cant flee a fight, no… but fleeing is for chumps anyway. Its actually pretty good at roaming and probably one of the best solo camp cappers. Being able to seemlessly shift toward higher number of targets is great (you can roam as a wellbomber if you want).

I usually roam on my mesmer or necro and tbh… I am more successfull on my necro, lol.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dead.5829

Dead.5829

Worth noting there are beta weekend videos of Reaper WvW roaming, you can check them out.

Donee’s our resident Condi Reaper extraordinaire: http://www.youtube.com/donee
There’s always Hollts for good ’ol Power Reaper ownage: http://www.youtube.com/user/HolltsGaming

There are others, these 2 guys just came to my mind for WvW roaming. I’m no celebrity like the other guys above, but I had fun playing cele signet & zerker/valk reaper builds over BWE3. Here’s a vid I made with solo roaming & +1 fights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXiDPZBGURI

Reapers are just fun times, 2 more days!

That framerate… mmmmmmm

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lynnie.7213

Lynnie.7213

Necros will still have a place as roamer. Don’t overthink it, just enjoy the game and your class.

D O N E E
Necromancer – Ranger WvW/Spvp/Pve/Build/Guide videos:
http://www.youtube.com/donee

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Necros can also easily obliterate camps on their own in a really short amount of time. Condi and Power both work, and it’s going to be even easier with Reaper.

If you want to just pick any fight, then have the option to bail the second it looks like it is going south, don’t play a Necromancer, because you’re probably a Thief/Mesmer/Warrior at heart. I personally don’t care if I die, and I enjoy Necro mechanics above the others, so I stick with Necro.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: mordran.4750

mordran.4750

You should never go after the videos of somebody. In these videos you see of course only the best moments which is not what you will find always for obvious reasons. It comes down how much tolerance you have to dying. You can´t reset a fight, if you go in or get jumped on, you win or die. Of course you can roam, every class can, but you will have a 10 times harder time than a mesmer for example. You should ask yourself if that´s a clever thing to do. If i were you i would spend a few days in eotm, level a mesmer and join the condi pu aids force, this will spare you some headache.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

You should never go after the videos of somebody. In these videos you see of course only the best moments which is not what you will find always for obvious reasons. It comes down how much tolerance you have to dying. You can´t reset a fight, if you go in or get jumped on, you win or die. Of course you can roam, every class can, but you will have a 10 times harder time than a mesmer for example. You should ask yourself if that´s a clever thing to do. If i were you i would spend a few days in eotm, level a mesmer and join the condi pu aids force, this will spare you some headache.

Or you can take your necro and send them back their torment and see them die while they try to run away…

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I have an engi, it’s much easier to survive with it rather than my necro due to the combination of mobility, stealth, and invulnerabilitY.

However, I enjoy playing on my necro more, simply because we do a good job of countering the Condi stealth builds currently running rampant in WvW, and I find I can take camps much quicker and faster on my necro compared to my engi, like the swords pop up, the supervisor is dead. And while it is harder to run on a necro, if you know what you’re doing that isn’t necessarily the case. Using our soft CC, deathshroud, and swiftness from spectral walk and warhorn 5, I found I can actually evade other classes, or force them to burn valuable teleports to catch up, then unload on them after they have done so. And I think reaper will just allow us to improve in our roaming capabilities just with its dash and how much chill it can put out.

Is it easy, no. Is necro the best class for zooming around the map, not really, but it is fun and provides a great challenge, and the satisfaction you’ll get when you catch a thief or Mesmer is immense and can happen more often than you think.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in Necromancer

Posted by: hurrado.2346

hurrado.2346

Classes that don’t stay and fight to the death are pansy classes anyway.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lynnie.7213

Lynnie.7213

You should never go after the videos of somebody. In these videos you see of course only the best moments which is not what you will find always for obvious reasons.

Not really. You won’t always be seeing the best moments, highlitghts …

D O N E E
Necromancer – Ranger WvW/Spvp/Pve/Build/Guide videos:
http://www.youtube.com/donee

in Necromancer

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

considering WvWvW maps are hyper open, giving high mobility a huge advantage (in this case, any blinks, teleports, leaps, ect) you really shouldn’t expect anything different.

Also, Anet has said many many times they don’t balance the game around WvWvW. So you really shouldn’t be surprised.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Of course you can roam, every class can, but you will have a 10 times harder time than a mesmer for example. You should ask yourself if that´s a clever thing to do. If i were you i would spend a few days in eotm, level a mesmer and join the condi pu aids force, this will spare you some headache.

You mean it’s clever to roll what everyone else rolls, do what everyone else does, regardless of how much fun you have doing it?

It’s clever to avoid having a bit of a difficult time while you push yourself to become better at what you enjoy, instead of just wallowing in metaocrity?

Nothing forces you to improve like adversity. If you die to someone else, it doesn’t mean that person is better than you. It doesn’t mean you’ve failed as a human being. It doesn’t mean you’ll never win. So grab hold of your bootstraps and go get better. A few weeks back I was about to go to bed, but instead dueled a Thief and eventually an Engi repeatedly in WvW for about an hour and a half. I lost every duel, but I recovered so much more of what I lost during my hiatus than any other regular hour and a half of roaming, or even winning, would have approached.

If you’re worried about dying, roll a class that doesn’t die. Necros die as roamers. It doesn’t mean it’s a worthless roaming class.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Urukami.4796

Urukami.4796

Although I might be late. Necromancers are strong as roamers (imo) but may not be the best. Although we do lack mobility we can make up for dukes, strong burst (whether condi or range/melee power builds). Our survivability isn’t too bad as well.

Server: Seafarer’s Rest [EU]
Main Professions: Necromancer & Revenant
Youtube Channel: http://youtube.com/MrUrukami

in Necromancer

Posted by: JDjitsu.7895

JDjitsu.7895

I really enjoy roaming on my Necro. Though it’s not a traditional roamer at all.

Like another stated, it’s like playing in Hard Mode. You are at a disadvantage for sure, and I definitely have to keep eyes out for lrg. groups more than on a “roaming” profession with proper escape skills. Worm and Spec. Walk are a must for Necro roaming. It’s not as easy to pull off escapes as a teleport, FGS, GS/Sword Warrior or stealth, but as long as you don’t have a zerg with a big tail of fat squirrels surrounding you, it’s super effective with practice. Sometimes just a juke from S. Walk is enough when you have cliffs around.

Note: Then you have the recipe for worm stomps on your bar when you kill other roamers

Wiggin/LittleEnder/XeroCool/Filthydirtyrotten/MizDemeanor/EnderThaXenocide/ShadowOfWiggin-
Maguuma & A Few alts on other NA/EU servers