With so many bugs on the necro why play ?

in Necromancer

Posted by: lorndarken.3702

lorndarken.3702

seriously , it makes no sense to play a under powered class all to see it dwindle into crap with the amount of bugs that prevent the necro from doing its job.
and i dont want to be put in a corner on how i should spec my necro , but lately it just seems like with each patch they " fix " 1 thing they end up breaking 10 more things .
for example , spiteful spirit is a trait i loved when it worked. now it is bugged thanks to this latest patch .

i wonder how long it will be until all the bugs for the necro will be fixed . cause the more and more play it , the more i just rage quit .

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ethereal Nova.3795

Ethereal Nova.3795

seriously , it makes no sense to play a under powered class all to see it dwindle into crap with the amount of bugs that prevent the necro from doing its job.
and i dont want to be put in a corner on how i should spec my necro , but lately it just seems like with each patch they " fix " 1 thing they end up breaking 10 more things .
for example , spiteful spirit is a trait i loved when it worked. now it is bugged thanks to this latest patch .

i wonder how long it will be until all the bugs for the necro will be fixed . cause the more and more play it , the more i just rage quit .

How many other builds have you tried out?

Yes, we’ve got bugs, but it’s slowly being fixed. With some of the recent fixes, there’s certain builds that do exceptionally well.

Ethereal Effect

in Necromancer

Posted by: lorndarken.3702

lorndarken.3702

bloodmancer, minion master , cursemaster , ds , hybrids , such a underpowered class !!!

in Necromancer

Ethereal Nova.3795

bloodmancer, minion master , cursemaster , ds , hybrids , such a underpowered class !!!

Let me direct you to my thread. This build is very promising if you’re feeling underpowered. It takes some set up, but yeah.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer/Fun-with-bleed-bursting-Video-Guide-Build-Some-Tips/first#post325415

Ethereal Effect

in Necromancer

Posted by: A Volcano.2510

A Volcano.2510

If you don’t enjoy it, don’t play it.

I like how tanky it is…I was just in that lvl 80 Orr zone around the temple of Grenth and soloing a ridiculous number (like 10 guys) of mobs at a time. And you can just keep doing it because you have so many “get out of jail free cards”…Death Shroud, Plague form, 4 wells that siphon health, etc. By the time one is on cooldown some other one isn’t, and you can just rotate them.

I just played another class (low lvl engineer if you must know) and I was startled that a mere couple mobs can make a dent in my health bar. That hasn’t happened with necro (outside of dungeon mobs obviously or champions—although I have solo’d a couple of champions) in a long time.

But if you don’t enjoy it then don’t play it. The bugs are getting fixed slowly though, so if that is your major concern I wouldn’t worry about things.

Edit: Build is 10 death, 30 blood, 30 soul and use dagger/horn + staff if anyone cares. Full clerics/dwayna sets and heal gear.

(edited by A Volcano.2510)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Josher.9612

Josher.9612

I like how tanky it is…I was just in that lvl 80 Orr zone around the temple of Grenth and soloing a ridiculous number (like 10 guys) of mobs at a time. And you can just keep doing it because you have so many “get out of jail free cards”…Death Shroud, Plague form, 4 wells that siphon health, etc. By the time one is on cooldown some other one isn’t, and you can just rotate them.

I just played another class (low lvl engineer if you must know) and I was startled that a mere couple mobs can make a dent in my health bar. That hasn’t happened with necro (outside of dungeon mobs obviously or champions—although I have solo’d a couple of champions) in a long time.

But if you don’t enjoy it then don’t play it. The bugs are getting fixed slowly though, so if that is your major concern I wouldn’t worry about things.

Edit: Build is 10 death, 30 blood, 30 soul and use dagger/horn + staff if anyone cares. Full clerics/dwayna sets and heal gear.

Sounds like you’re a damage sponge that hits back like a wet noodle. Good job though, being creative=)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zero Neutral.7341

Zero Neutral.7341

The OP is correct… this class is not viable when compared to any other class.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Archmagel.1350

Archmagel.1350

Sounds like you’re a damage sponge that hits back like a wet noodle. Good job though, being creative=)

I don’t think OP wants a tank build, though. It is fine and dandy that you like to be tanky, but that is how you like it. The classes are supposed to be able to perform every role, and some variations.

I know they are fixing bugs, but they are also changing things prematurely. I think the bugs should be resolved before changing the way a skill operates.

Fort Aspenwood~ Archmage Logan(80 Necro)
(“Big Hat”)Praise the Sun!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Teknomancer.8475

Teknomancer.8475

Why do we get 5-10 different posts like this per day? OP I’m sorry but you aren’t stating anything the rest of the community doesn’t already know. You aren’t providing any opinions or feedback on how you propose to change us for the better.
Most people here play their necros because despite the flaws we enjoy the class. I am sorry you are having a hard time with waiting to see how Anet wants to fix/balance/change this class. Perhaps you might want to play an alt while you wait to see how the class will turn out?

in Necromancer

Ethereal Nova.3795

Why do we get 5-10 different posts like this per day? OP I’m sorry but you aren’t stating anything the rest of the community doesn’t already know. You aren’t providing any opinions or feedback on how you propose to change us for the better.
Most people here play their necros because despite the flaws we enjoy the class. I am sorry you are having a hard time with waiting to see how Anet wants to fix/balance/change this class. Perhaps you might want to play an alt while you wait to see how the class will turn out?

<3 this post

Ethereal Effect

in Necromancer

Posted by: HogWash.3928

HogWash.3928

Cause it is a game and not life. Game = thing you do to have fun.
Love playing my necro.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zero Neutral.7341

Zero Neutral.7341

Because many people are unhappy with the development of the class… They come to the boards thinking that this is a place to express their opinions, but really it is not… only positive opinions are allowed.

This whole notion of, “If yer don’t like it, GITOUT!” is absurd… People want to express their negative opinions because they enjoy the class but hate that it is borked.

Just because some people are happy with the current state of Necro class, or have HOPE that fixes are coming, doesn’t mean that everyone is or has to be… just saying.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vita.6302

Vita.6302

The Point is, that 3 of 5 Traitlines are bugged LIKE HELL. So there rly not many options to play the necro and use all the Skills as wanted. And if you think about how many weapon skill are not doing what the english description says (btw. traits has the same problem…), what for we need any description then?

Developer teams should use any dictionary to find out what the word “description” means in first place, becouse any skill and any trait need to be tested out to realize, what and how it really does at the moment.

And yes, a game is something we do, to have fun, BUT how do you want to have any fun, if over 40 confirmed bugs (known for over 2 months) and another 30+ (known for over 3 weeks) are forbidding you to play your class like it is described by the game itself?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Teknomancer.8475

Teknomancer.8475

Because many people are unhappy with the development of the class… They come to the boards thinking that this is a place to express their opinions, but really it is not… only positive opinions are allowed.

This whole notion of, “If yer don’t like it, GITOUT!” is absurd… People want to express their negative opinions because they enjoy the class but hate that it is borked.

Just because some people are happy with the current state of Necro class, or have HOPE that fixes are coming, doesn’t mean that everyone is or has to be… just saying.

I was not trying to tell the OP that he should ‘git out’ or that he needed to move on completely. Just offering a healthy and fun temporary solution of playing an alt while waiting for fixes or changes to be made. And you are right these boards get modded to death yet we still only get very few and faint posts from devs, but that is not really the heart of this discussion anyhow.
I just think that since there are numerous posts here everyday ( thus showing how neglected and angry we are as a community) that people should really continue on those posts instead of making whole new ones.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shakar.3485

Shakar.3485

The game is what you make it. Same with the class you choose to play as.

Necromancers have bugs, a lot of bugs, I continue to main necromancer because I have high hopes for this class. I won’t turn my back on this class and I truely enjoy playing this class. I hope others find why they enjoy it too.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kreit.4709

Kreit.4709

May be you will try to play elementalist before say “any class”?

in Necromancer

Posted by: brickforlife.1364

brickforlife.1364

Let me ask you: This game has so many bugs with broken skill points, DR and other problems, why would you play it?

My necro does decent damage with a full power/crit build hitting fairly good damage comparing to other classes. Yes it is harder to play this class and it does require skill (unlike warrior where you can spam 1 on a veteran standing still and getting nuked and still alive) which makes it fun.

When they do fix necro, I expect my damage, which is just sub-par to be higher if not somewhat better.

Join
[BEAR] www.gw2bear.com
[DATE] www.tyriadating.com

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

Nonsense. The necromancer is entirely viable. Their ability to handle solo PvE content is at least average. Their ability to attain gold medals in PvE events is probably above average. They can solo all their storyline quests without major difficulty. They can do about as well as anyone else in large-scale WvW fights. They can be a useful addition to a small roaming WvW crew. They have reasonably workable builds for power, condition, defense and support playstyles. They struggle somewhat in sPvP, but some players still manage to make them work competitively there, even if they are in the minority.

How is that “not viable?” At worst necromancers are slightly underpowered and more difficult to play well than some of the other classes and suffer from more than their share of bugs. If you like the class, either aesthetically or for its specific abilities, you can certainly make it work and you are not at a massive disadvantage.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

in Necromancer

Posted by: A Volcano.2510

A Volcano.2510

If by “wet noodle” you mean doing about 80% of the damage of a pure damage spec, you are probably right. The thing is, if you have almost unsurpassed survivability and 80% of the damage of a glass cannon spec, you are uber.

Look at Death Shroud, our class mechanic. It is primarily a tank mechanic. I know you want to say I am being “creative” but I am just playing to the profession’s strength. DS, first and foremost, gives you an extra lifebar. Yes, it also limits you to 4 skills and people complain about this and yes one of the skills is a pretty nice AOE. But I think no one can deny that it is basically a tank mechanic. So a tank build is the opposite of “creative” or :fringe—it is playing to the profession’s strength.

To give an example, today a level fifty-five guild member said that he had died a whole bunch trying to get to a vista and wanted help. I logged in and helped him. What I didn’t say (sorry if you are reading this guildmember) is that if we had fought all of the enemies of the 10 minute approach (strung out over a lot of area—and we fought them in several groups while approaching) at once, I still would have been able to defeat them
all by myself.

Look, DS is a tanky mechanic. If you do a tanky build, you will be happy with things. Or if you do a more glass cannon build but realize DS and the fact that we are tied with warrior for max hit points gives you some tanky aspects, you will be happy. If you try to discount this basic advantage, you will probably be unhappy because you are trying to play some other profession than the one you are actually playing.

in Necromancer

Posted by: QSpec.4298

QSpec.4298

I think Necro is in a decent place in PvE right now. I feel it is still largely forced into one build, but I have run with an axe and a dagger build and content is doable.

That said, I think the Necromancer is bottom rung in sPvP (I also think we are in an okay place in WvW). We have one viable spec. That spec is outclassed by other professions. We get crushed by the high burst. We contribute less than an average profession. And so on.

I would also like to appeal to the community to really strongly specify in what area they are talking. Wvw != sPvP != PvE. We would do well to remember that when discussing balance.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Squeesidhe.4761

Squeesidhe.4761

My first character in GW1 was a necro, so it’s a nostalgia thing for me. Also, I tend to go with darker professions. I was a DDD in COH and a Death Knight in WOW, for example.

Also, the game is pretty brand new, and there’s always one or two classes that need help at first. It’s pretty common. It’s not like the problems are locked in forever and can never be fixed.

in Necromancer

Posted by: VictorTroska.3725

VictorTroska.3725

Ansver to OP’s topic: I played Warlock in WoW, I hoped something similar “dark caster” class. I still think its cool class thats why my 80 necro is collecting dust while I rock on my warrior. When bugs are fixed, I will take on necro and make it my main.

in Necromancer

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

Necro is like a guilty pleasure to me. You play it because you can. That’s about all it has to offer at the moment lol.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kiirin.3418

Kiirin.3418

I like to think the bugs as a handicap, although when my corruptions fail to go off I do get kitten off, winning a duel makes it that much sweeter. I enjoy my necromancer and if you do then play it, if you don’t roll and alt. The way it looks we’ll be looking at bugs and being under powered for a while(Fix one bug make five more).

I can’t wait to see what anet has in store for necs. If they fix the bugs alone, I think I will be tearing through tpvp even more.

Rank 35
LvL80 Condi Necromancer
LvL35 Engineer

in Necromancer

Posted by: draculthemad.6273

draculthemad.6273

I tried both elementalist and mesmer before necromancer, and now my necro is higher than both of them.

Why? Because its about 2-3x less squishy.

Sure its not a DPS monster, but ill take that over not being 1 more good hit from death at the end of almost every fight when I am soloing.

Frankly, I don’t think arena net is EVER going to let it be the burst machine a lot of the posters in this forum seem to want. Its just too tanky to allow that.

The most I see them doing is fixing the scaling on siphon for vampiric builds. Even then, I don’t see it getting tremendously more incoming health or it would be hideously overpowered.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Josher.9612

Josher.9612

You can play and be effective. It just takes a lot more effort than other classes. I always feel like I have a lot of control over the fight, solo PvE at least. Honestly the only time I’ve ever die(solo PvE) is getting 1 shot by a Champion or if I’m fighting a few adds and low and behold, 3 more adds just pop into existence 2 feet away. Every death has always been “cheap” as far as I’m concerned. Its not boring=)

I can only imagine if all the traits actually worked or if they were actually designed in such a way that there was no guessing about what is good or not. Seriously, why should you even have to worry about a trait line not being effective? It should be simple. You want to specialize in minions, pick this tree. Want to go Wells, pick that tree. Want to go Conditions, pick the other tree. Mix and match any 2 specialties and fill in the rest with utility and a minor boost. THAT’s how specialization should work. That’s how it works in some other successful MMOs I’ve played that did it properly. No guesswork.

I shouldn’t have to go into a tree that has little to do with conditions in order to make Staff more effective. What? 1 trait for Wells cooldown is in a different tree from making them target-able. Huh? Minion traits are spread out all over the place. DS are spread out as well. It really seems like they blinded folded themselves and threw darts at a dartboard to pick which traits go where. There is no rhyme or reason.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Xhaiden.3891

Xhaiden.3891

Because you want to play a caster but have too much self respect to play a Mesmer, but have no hope whatsoever that Anet even understands whats wrong with Elementalist.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Enerjak.2475

Enerjak.2475

“If you don’t like it, don’t play it”.

Wow. I normally try to stay away from direct insults… but what a crock of horse kitten.

“You don’t enjoy being bugged, but you really enjoy the play style itself of the Necromancer, go play something else anyway!”

Inept moron. Silly argument made by children who cannot grow the balls to actually address the issue at hand, and instead run away.

“NO! Don’t fix the problem itself! That would make sense! Just… just run away! That’ll work!”

The bugs listed here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer/Necromancer-bugs-compilation-NB64-NT15-NP6/first are impossible to deny. The profession is broken. ArenaNet even acknowledges it.

“NOOOOOO!!! You’re just bad! Don’t enjoy being bugged and broken doing something you actually do enjoy? RUUUUUNNNN!!”

Pathetic.

Alcione Enerjak – Human Necromancer (Level 80)
Guild Leader – The Hakaishin [GODS] (Sorrow’s Furnace)

in Necromancer

Posted by: QSpec.4298

QSpec.4298

I tried both elementalist and mesmer before necromancer, and now my necro is higher than both of them.

Why? Because its about 2-3x less squishy.

Sure its not a DPS monster, but ill take that over not being 1 more good hit from death at the end of almost every fight when I am soloing.

Frankly, I don’t think arena net is EVER going to let it be the burst machine a lot of the posters in this forum seem to want. Its just too tanky to allow that.

The most I see them doing is fixing the scaling on siphon for vampiric builds. Even then, I don’t see it getting tremendously more incoming health or it would be hideously overpowered.

I think you are right about that. I really don’t want the Necro to be a burst monster anyway. That said, we don’t actually do much of anything well (at least when compared to the top in a given role). We seem to be a jack of all-trades, master of none type class which I am cool with and would even welcome.

That said, even though we bring a little bit of everything to the table, there is no real reason to pick us as what we do bring is actually low.

Moreover, we have one build. I can’t harp on this enough. Most classes have options. We don’t, not good ones anyway.

Finally, I assume you mean in PvE. I have a thief who is ridiculously squishy. But in PvP this isn’t the case. Ele’s need a lot of love, but one thing they are not is easy to kill. Mesmers are arguably the hardest class in the entire game to kill.

In fact, I think Necros rank up as one of the squishiest pvp classes due to a lack of any decent CC or reset button.

To directly answer the OP, you play Necro because you love the class. There is a lot to love. Just prepare to be awfully frustrated many times.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Khalibos.3715

Khalibos.3715

I know exactly why I continue to play the necromancer profession. I do so because I hope that when the bugs are fixed I will get use the builds hinted at in the wiki! I expected to be able to try out a lot of power-based builds like Dagger/Dagger and Staff. But since the trait “Gluttony” doesn’t work I can’t generate enough life force to put much pressure on my opponents. I expected to be able to generate 16% life force from a completed combo, set up some kind of regeneration on myself and switch to Deathshroud early in the fight to spend that life force and give the regeneration time to bring my health back up.

As it stand neither mechanic works, i.e. when in Deathshroud regeneration is not increasing your health pool and gluttony is not increasing your life force gain on attack so you only end up with 6% from a completed combo.

With no regeneration, no life force damage mitigation, etc necromancers can’t go toe to toe with many builds because you simply cannot trade damage. So what ends up happening is Necromancers get by with scepter/condition damage builds (+/- Power). Sadly opponents know this and can choose appropriate counters for the off chance they meet a necromancer in sPvP.

What people want is to play with style and to aspire to as much skill level as you can manage. Right now the tools that the necromancer has are working sufficiently to play certain builds, but this is really far below what people expect. This game is EPIC in many ways, but Necromancers do not feel like they are sharing in that experience. Note: stomping a necromancer in sPvP may make you feel epic, but usually the necromancer feels otherwise.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zaganna.6034

Zaganna.6034

I put here my experince. I leveled up a necro to 80 (in 14 days since pre-realese). I made it quite fine.
Yeah, it wasn’t a piece of cake always..sometimes mobs kicked my kitten But in those situation i just needed to play better and meaby change up my gear for a more high level stuff.
Now that i’m 80 i go around on Orr, farming 400-nodes, doing temples, running dungeons, ecc..
Only at lvl 70 or so i started to read the forum (it wasn’t open in the first days) and found all those threads about the many bugs of the necro.

I never done sPvP or serious WvW. So I can’t say necros on those fronts.
But I tell you about my PvE experience.

-I have no problem facing Orr mobs or quests
-I have no problem running around in Orr or escape from annoyng mobs on my way
-I made 100% of single areas with 3-2 levels under the max lvl designed.
-I cleared AC and CM story with a group of 4 Necromancers + 5th character with no problem that was realeted to the classes (Btw, 4 x Lich form + Time Warp =LOOOOOOL)
-I cleared TA and HotW explorer with a group of 3 Necromancer + 4th&5th. No problems.

The class is enjoyable? I didn’t knew about the bugs until high level.I had fun, so I say YES.
The class is weaker than other classes? I don’t know. I just leveled up a Necro to 80. So I can’t answer this question.
Does this makes the class unplayable? In my experience i shared with you..ABSOLUTLY NOT!

So, if you will ever play a necro and you’ll be put in a corner by friends/guild mates because of that….Thrust me…leave them and change mates. If they complain you for choosing the necromancer and for that failing dungeon or such…it’s because they can’t admit they sucks (and pretty hard)

PS:
power/DS build
20/0/0/20/30
Main staff / dagger + warhorn

in Necromancer

Posted by: Enerjak.2475

Enerjak.2475

@Zaganna – Granted, every class can function in PvE. I won’t berate it to say PvE is a complete joke (explorable mode dungeons are probably some of the hardest PvE I’ve seen in MMOs and worth mentioning).

However, to compare the Necromancer to other classes, that requires PvP. It requires PvP AGAINST these classes, as well as with.

The point of the matter – if you had a lineup of all 8 professions, equal gear/skill, and you had your pick of which one you would take as your ally in PvP?

If you have experience in PvP, Necromancer will not be your first choice.

…or second… or third… or fourth…

The point is we would like to see it to the point that you’d have to sit and think whether you’d take Necromancer or X class first in that list, just as it should be with any class.

That is not the current state of affairs.

Exceptional players can be “good” Necromancers. But they will never be “great” Necromancers no matter how skilled they are, because the mechanics aren’t there. If the same effort were applied to other professions, they’d be Gods.

But… we just happen to enjoy Necromancer, even with more bugs than 3/4 of the other classes all combined… even if our profession mechanic is EXTREMELY underwhelming… even if we are laughed out of PvP and most parties.

Doesn’t mean there isn’t truth in WHY the profession is laughed at.

Alcione Enerjak – Human Necromancer (Level 80)
Guild Leader – The Hakaishin [GODS] (Sorrow’s Furnace)

in Necromancer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

We love pain and suffering, why else?