[WvW] A few questions about the terrormancer

in Necromancer

Posted by: sainor.3089

sainor.3089

Hey guys, returning player here. Getting my necro back on his feet and I’d like to ask a few questions.

1. Is terrormancer still viable in WvW? I’m interested in roaming mostly, I do realize that power/wells is the way to go in the zergs.
2. Can you share the current terrormancer build, please? And a few gameplay tips in the current meta would be nice since my break from GW2 was a long one.

Thanks for you time, fellas.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

1: yes.
2: 30/20/0/0/20 all fear traits, dhuum, chill, retal etc etc.. drie armor (i use perplex runes) wand/dagger/staff and some signets you like..

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in Necromancer

Posted by: sainor.3089

sainor.3089

Does fear already count as an interrupt? If no then why perplex?
Also someone linked this build to me: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fQAQNArYWjMaZ7Fbyb87JkpCfD0jeBXAxoHHTwkMA-jkCBYhAYNRkqAgkGkEBKDtIaslhFRjVdDTHjIq2wrIa1SBAzyK-w
Is it any good or I should always go for 30/20/0/0/20?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

1: yes.
2: 30/20/0/0/20 all fear traits, dhuum, chill, retal etc etc.. drie armor (i use perplex runes) wand/dagger/staff and some signets you like..

Get that dumbfire outta here, if you want to be cheese go run a warrior.

Terrormancer- 0/20/20/0/30

access to terror, improved staff and marks, DS skill cd, fear duration and stability on ds.

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

still viable for a week or so.. i suggest not buying too much stuff for this build..

@soro yes that works too.. despite me hardly thinking dhuumfire is cheese now.. considering all the nerfs/ and buffs.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Does fear already count as an interrupt? If no then why perplex?
Also someone linked this build to me: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fQAQNArYWjMaZ7Fbyb87JkpCfD0jeBXAxoHHTwkMA-jkCBYhAYNRkqAgkGkEBKDtIaslhFRjVdDTHjIq2wrIa1SBAzyK-w
Is it any good or I should always go for 30/20/0/0/20?

Fear doesn’t count as an interrupt yet, but it will. Even without it, perplexity can still add confusion stacks on hit (in the current version, not post-patch), so it can still be pretty strong.

I wouldn’t call that build a true terrormancer since it doesn’t take the master of terror trait (20 soul reaping), but it is a variant that could be pretty effective. Lingering curse can be quite potent. I also haven’t tried carrion gear on such a build, but it can synergize nicely with some of the higher direct damage abilities… I still think rabid is a better way to go for this sort of build if you had to pick between the two though.

That build is definitely more glassy though. With the less durable death shroud and no bonus spectral armor, you’ll need to make sure you stay in control of whatever battle you’re fighting.

Also note that the build you linked is highly dependent on those consumables since it’s pushing condi duration up to 100%. If you aren’t using them, you won’t get nearly the same potency the build has.

I usually like to use spectral walk in these builds because it affords the necromancer mobility that they don’t otherwise have, which can be important in WvW (also lets you cliff dive safely). If you go 20 into soul reaping, you also get a free spectral armor, so you can slot a different utility and not necessarily miss out on it’s use.

As for the terrormancer itself, I find that most of what it does is single target focused, so it might not always be the best choice in every WvW scenario. For instance, solo roaming can become an issue if you’re outnumbered since you might not be able to completely shrug off the other guy while pressuring your target. It can definitely have some good applications in small scale battles though, or punishing people that overextend/move out of position.

If I were you, I’d just try the 30/20/0/0/20 build and see how it goes. The nice thing with these builds is that you don’t have to really alter the gear in order to get a different trait configuration to work, although this might mean you’re not always being optimal in all cases. I usually use rabid armor and weapons with dire/rabid trinkets, but a larger focus on dire should work nicely too.