is that something normal to you?

in Necromancer

Posted by: darianturner.8096

darianturner.8096

I just want to share some ‘experiences’ I had this weekend…

So, I’m quite new to GW2, I’ve started a month priot to HoT release. I’ve done the 100% map completition with my Necro, it was something good and amazing. I really enjoyed that stuff so much.

I love my necro class, I always played undead/necro/demon classes if it exists. It’s the theme I most liked, maybe because I’m a huge Lovecraft fan, maybe not, who knows? Well anyway, the thing is… after hit 80 and done map completition, I go trought Maguuma, unlocked Reaper and enjoyed soooo much the class and content… before this weekend.

Why? Because I started to do some dungeons/fractals and even in some map events were so many people trying to convince me to reroll my class… because it’s bad and it shouldn’t exist anymore in pve (wtf?).

Ok, I can understand that necros aren’t the best in terms of supporting the team as well as others, so much self sustain and all… but c’mon? My reaper it’s doing things pretty well, dmg it’s quite good and I can even solo a lot of stuff… but I was kicked from 2 dungeons only for being a necro, and in a map event with many few people someone told me that thanks to me, the event it’s slow because necro dmg suck…

The worst thing now is that I started to being worried for my position in Raids. I don’t have a guild for now, but I want to start looking for one this week, but if I that it’s mean to being a necro, I don’t know what to do. I really want to play my reaper on raids, fractals, etc… and not be discriminated for that.

I really have to play a war/guard/ele/mesmer to become more ‘okeish’ for the meta or what?…

I want to belive that this was something accidentally and no represent the community itself, but I don’t know. I did a research on that forums and reddit, and it seems that Necros are most hated class for the community.

Quite sad with the community and all. Sorry for my bad english btw

(edited by darianturner.8096)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Balerios.3679

Balerios.3679

Well dont listen to anyone and play the class u like and having fun . Most ppl that reject u cause u are necro are not worth to even mention. That same ppl change class each month and try to find the most OP class in the game. Clever? what do u think ?. Every class is good and can be really powerful when played correctly

in Necromancer

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

Some people are like that. Try to find a nice guild and enjoy the game without the idiots.

Alright meow, where were we?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Is Necro subpar in PvE? Yes, though we’re getting a lot closer. Where does that matter? Pretty much only in specific group content. Random zerging in PvE or the big bosses Necromancer is just fine.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

darianturner.8096

Is Necro subpar in PvE? Yes, though we’re getting a lot closer. Where does that matter? Pretty much only in specific group content. Random zerging in PvE or the big bosses Necromancer is just fine.

So that means that noone will bring me on raids…. because necro it’s subpar :/…

I wish there was an advice when I create that class: “Play it only if you want to be subpar to the rest”.

-_- Thinkin’ on rerrolling, don’t know what to do right now…

in Necromancer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

Necro isn’t subpar. There are people believing they actually understand the game and its mechanics… but often they don’t.

Necro is on condi and power builds still very much viable for any content of GW2. What will happen in raids is a story for the future.

Not a single person could show convincingly, why Necro shall be subpar. It’s a myth.

EDIT:
If you enjoy the theme, then stay with Necromancer. People with their smug attitude should change.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

(edited by TyPin.9860)

in Necromancer

Posted by: zell.3051

zell.3051

Don’t. As a loyal Necro player since GW1 and even more so in GW2, I really do fancy reading these kind of posts about people’s love for necromancy.
Especially since HoT it has become a fantastic class to play.

Sure, we’ve been a dogged class for a really long time, but if it works for you, why change? Because some meaningless individual online tells you to? No. You stand by your principles of enjoying and playing a game because YOU want to. They did not pay for your game so you have every right to play however you want to.

You can safely ignore the whole “meta” thing, it’s only an upstuck elitist guideline followed by many incompetent blind sheep with little to say.
A true gamer develops his or her own build and plays with what suits them, not others.
If you’re gifted with a sliver of altruism (not many are) you could roll support revenant and toy around with massive heals and condition cleanses (this is what I’ll be doing for raids).
If you like to get into the heat of battle and kill stuff, Condi Reaper or even Zerker Reaper will do just fine.

It’s a shame my guild’s only one nationality or I’d gladly take you in and ensure you’d have a great shot at getting raid rewards (assuming you’re not dutch).

My advice to you: care less what others have to say and enjoy the game the way you want to.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Goldenrevolver.4371

Goldenrevolver.4371

there are two problems here:

the first one is that a large part of the community doesnt think necromancer is good enough for pve but the difference between necro and other classes is a lot closer (now) than they think and it only matters in highly competitive scenarios. which brings me to no. 2:

the second problem is that you and a large part of the community assume you will be able to beat raids. gw2s pve content until now was EXTREMELY EASY. were doing dungeons and fractals in full damage gear without even thinking about the bosses mechanics and even traits like "damage boost while endurance is full" or no.1 example "damage boost while u have aegis" which literally is gone once u take a SINGLE hit have a huge uptime. if you are as new to the game as u say and you only play necromancer im sorry to say you that raids will be nothing for you unless anet messes up hard. raids are supposed to be the elitist endgame content of this game. everybody can do fractals and dungeons but raids are supposed to be a challenge you can only overcome with perfect team synergy therorycrafting, best possible armor and builds and almost flawless execution; something only very few can beat. if u will be able to pug raids in a few weeks anet simply messed up because thats what all the rest of pve is for.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

To the OP, as many on this forum will tell you, necro is fine in pve. If a group really doesn’t want you just for playing a necro, they must be setting speedrun records. Outside of those speedrun records, necro is quite good. Play what you enjoy, and don’t listen to people who won’t give you logical reasons for why they don’t want you in the group. If they don’t advertise pure meta with a quote about wanting specific classes and then kick you they are dumb.

If they do advertise that they want specific classes, or meta builds and you aren’t prepared to run those builds, please don’t join those parties. At that point they are entitled to kick you, as they said before hand what they expected. Also, don’t be willfully ignorant like many on this forum who say things like “don’t listen to anyone.”

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in Necromancer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

raids are supposed to be the elitist endgame content of this game.

That isn’t exactly true. It’s supposed to be hard, challenging content. “Elitist” content implies unhealthy aspects of the GW2 community.

A successful raid needs personal skill, the right builds and good team communication. In the beginning, I guess, most groups will fail in the raids until they figured out, how to beat the content.

But the warning for new players is still important. Raids won’t be as easy as the other 100% casual PvE content in GW2.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

So that means that noone will bring me on raids…. because necro it’s subpar :/…

I wish there was an advice when I create that class: “Play it only if you want to be subpar to the rest”.

-_- Thinkin’ on rerrolling, don’t know what to do right now…

Only if you are planning to speed run the raids. Chances are Reaper will be good enough on raids to be taken even though it isn’t strictly better than others that can fill the role.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

Necromancer has always been subpar in PvE.
For long time it’s been useless in sPvP but some time ago with the corruption build had reached a good utility in some teams. But with the actual specializzations and balance the reaper is still a not meta class (we was in meta for 1 month of glory before turn back into the darkness XD)
In WvsWvsW we reached our best efficence why DS recharge fast when people die around you (good in zerg fights), but I’m not shure about Reaper why it’s a pure melee and the Necromancer in www was good why had a 100% critical rate by Range AoE in a line. While in melee have not a single defensive skill to protect himself, with the risk of waste the RS only to protect himseld and not be able to do good damage.

About Dungeons, I’ve always been unwelcome in any casual teams. Sometimes been insta-kicked why I’m a necro.

We do lesser damage than a lot of other classes (revenant, warrior, guardian, ele, thief), we don’t give any support (heal with DS/RS skill 4 but if you play dps your heal is more or less useless) and 8 stack of might every 30 seconds (20 if traited. good but not enough them).

The only thing we can do better than others is survive. We are a selfish class with good damage and good survavibility (in PvE) and we can survive where other classes can’t. But that’s the only thing we can do better than others. And with the specializzations I’m not still shure that’s true.
Our only hope is that in Raird we’ll need to have a good self survavibility to do them, making us good for it.

BUT there’s a new specializzation that make us in trouble: the Druid.
With the actual fixes on Blighter Boon whe can heal ourself in RS only with our boons. That’s why we can do pretty well and if others boons will trigger that trait it will be really OOOOOOOOP. But the Druid make us in trouble why: if raids will be so hard that you need a pure Healer to survive our RS will not be enough for that and while in RS/DS we can’t be healed, making us suffer for lack of healing.
Then to evade the possibility that someone die only why the druid is unable to heal him we will be once more kicked away from every Raid teams.

Your only hope is to find players that don’t care about your class/build why know every build can do good things and find a guild to do Raids.

I focus always on the worst possibility but there’s a concrete chance that we will not be welcome in Raids, expecially if you want to join casual teams.

in Necromancer

Posted by: saxmachine.6024

saxmachine.6024

For some people I guess it’s normal behaviour.

Early on necros did struggle in dungeons in projectile heavy fights. And their mobility does limit their chances for setting speed records in dungeons. Well the game has moved on from that (some players haven’t).

Necro was my first 80, I have since day tried to main an engineer, Mesmer, ranger, elementalist and another engineer. Every time I’ve come back to necro because I enjoy it the most and understand it the best. Because of that I am most effective in groups with my necro than any other class. Other classes might be more effective but not for me. And the reaper is awesome.

If you are loving the necro then keep playing it. Don’t reroll because of some sad trolls. necro is more than good enough. Of course you might enjoy another one more.

The main thing is finding a guild of decent people. I know this is the internet but it can be done. Are you on an eu or na server?

in Necromancer

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

Necromancer has always been subpar in PvE.
For long time it’s been useless in sPvP but some time ago with the corruption build had reached a good utility in some teams. But with the actual specializzations and balance the reaper is still a not meta class (we was in meta for 1 month of glory before turn back into the darkness XD)
In WvsWvsW we reached our best efficence why DS recharge fast when people die around you (good in zerg fights), but I’m not shure about Reaper why it’s a pure melee and the Necromancer in www was good why had a 100% critical rate by Range AoE in a line. While in melee have not a single defensive skill to protect himself, with the risk of waste the RS only to protect himseld and not be able to do good damage.

About Dungeons, I’ve always been unwelcome in any casual teams. Sometimes been insta-kicked why I’m a necro.

We do lesser damage than a lot of other classes (revenant, warrior, guardian, ele, thief), we don’t give any support (heal with DS/RS skill 4 but if you play dps your heal is more or less useless) and 8 stack of might every 30 seconds (20 if traited. good but not enough them).

The only thing we can do better than others is survive. We are a selfish class with good damage and good survavibility (in PvE) and we can survive where other classes can’t. But that’s the only thing we can do better than others. And with the specializzations I’m not still shure that’s true.
Our only hope is that in Raird we’ll need to have a good self survavibility to do them, making us good for it.

BUT there’s a new specializzation that make us in trouble: the Druid.
With the actual fixes on Blighter Boon whe can heal ourself in RS only with our boons. That’s why we can do pretty well and if others boons will trigger that trait it will be really OOOOOOOOP. But the Druid make us in trouble why: if raids will be so hard that you need a pure Healer to survive our RS will not be enough for that and while in RS/DS we can’t be healed, making us suffer for lack of healing.
Then to evade the possibility that someone die only why the druid is unable to heal him we will be once more kicked away from every Raid teams.

Your only hope is to find players that don’t care about your class/build why know every build can do good things and find a guild to do Raids.

I focus always on the worst possibility but there’s a concrete chance that we will not be welcome in Raids, expecially if you want to join casual teams.

Still trying to decipher this word salad

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lorechill.7412

Lorechill.7412

do not believe reaper is only melee, wells are still good and even staff has its uses (WWW mostly) finding a guild with ppl who are not elitist kittens helps tho

in Necromancer

darianturner.8096

Ok first, thanks to all of you for the comments. It helps a lot, and means so much for me.

I belive that Raids have to be difficult and not something that you are allowed to do with pugs, at least at first. I complete all the Turns in FFXIV and most raids back in WoW. But I disgust elitism, so far it doesn’t bring anything good. Competition it’s cool, but I’m not a elitist guy nor I’m here for tops or leaderboards tbh…

Having fun while doing hard content with friends it’s way more cooler than anything, it doesn’t matter it took ages to complete them.

Before playing with my necro, I’ve dedicate a whole weekend to play with all classes in sPvP. Learning the basics and all as I could from each class. Of course I’m not a master and I missed a lot of stuff, but I learned minimally well.

Necro was my favorite, as I wished. Thief the closest second. Then ofc I do like more classes, but that’s my favorite ones so far. Necro, especially the Reaper, it’s hella fun and I really love it, and suit me very well.

For now I will go on with my Necro, it doesnt matter if people don’t like it, and I’m going to be more patience and trying that does not affect me what people say. About Raids, well… will see what happends, but I will not lose any hope of being able to enter them with some group

Thanks again fellow necros.

P.D: I’m from EU, thanks for ask btw!

in Necromancer

Posted by: zell.3051

zell.3051

Reap on brother!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Yeah, don’t ever let someone else dictate your fun-having. If you want to be in a top competitive scene then you can listen to advice, but if you’re just playing the game to enjoy yourself as a hobby? Play what you want. ANet has yet to create content a Necromancer can’t complete, so all you need to do (as others have mentioned) is find fun people to run with.

I will say that, pertaining to the OP, I have yet to have someone harp on me for being a Necro. I’ll also say that I hope it happens, because I enjoy breaking those arguments down.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vydahr.4285

Vydahr.4285

Yeah, don’t ever let someone else dictate your fun-having. If you want to be in a top competitive scene then you can listen to advice, but if you’re just playing the game to enjoy yourself as a hobby? Play what you want. ANet has yet to create content a Necromancer can’t complete, so all you need to do (as others have mentioned) is find fun people to run with.

I will say that, pertaining to the OP, I have yet to have someone harp on me for being a Necro. I’ll also say that I hope it happens, because I enjoy breaking those arguments down.

As to your last point…. If you get kicked from a group immediately when they find out your class, it’s hard to break down an argument :p But that’s when you just go in and do the fractal/dungeon solo just to spite them (and fulfill your masochistic necro tendencies, of course)

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

As to your last point…. If you get kicked from a group immediately when they find out your class, it’s hard to break down an argument :p But that’s when you just go in and do the fractal/dungeon solo just to spite them (and fulfill your masochistic necro tendencies, of course)

Haha yes, that’s also true. I was imagining map chat saying “We don’t take kindly to your type ’round here”, or someone angrily whispering, in which case I’d start firing all guns.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vydahr.4285

Vydahr.4285

Haha yes, that’s also true. I was imagining map chat saying “We don’t take kindly to your type ’round here”, or someone angrily whispering, in which case I’d start firing all guns.

“I challenge you all to a fight!” everyone in map proceeds to step on your melted corpse together “I meant one at a time!”

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Since we don’t have damage meters, a lot of it is just subjective perception.

I’ve been playing the game since launch and never been in a PUG group that kicked a necro.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Starfall.6425

Starfall.6425

Elitists waiting 10min in lfg to run 5min faster… gg
90% of dungeon/fractal runners are not that good that a different class matters in any way when played equally good.

I’m fine with my casual runs and most times I’m the one picking those meta-zerk squishis up from downstate while having the mobs attack my lifeforce bar.

[DP] – Diamond Pirates
[AM] – Abaddon’s Mouth