my fears have been confirmed

in Necromancer

Posted by: jasiones.4189

jasiones.4189

So I was a bit worried about the state of necromancers…leveling past 70 was an absolute chore because it took so freaking long to kill anything (even with equipping lvl 70 exotic weapons) I spent lvl 75-80 in one of the zones that doesnt have any heart quests (forgot the name) just doing event circuit runs with a zerg. I really hope they fix necromancers, even if this is a DoT based class we really don’t bring anything special to the table that other classes do with better results. Our damage output is too low. this is the first time i’ve played guild wars and I really havent looked at any simulations or theorycrafting so maybe it’s an issue with my build and choice of weapons (staff, scepter/focus).

I was interested in the class because of the minions but they’re a huge liability and not worth the utility slots they take up. They constantly aggro stuff I dont want and they die way too quickly. the only minion I have been using has been the bone Minion only so I could blow them up for a quick burst of damage.

I would like Anet to work diligently on the minion AI or give us some type of control. Reduction of AOE splash damage and the inability to aggro random mobs will actually be a huge help.

(edited by jasiones.4189)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ahmon.1730

Ahmon.1730

You’re doing it wrong. Leveling in a zerg is about the ability to tap mobs, not to deal damage. Look over your spec and play style and try again.

in Necromancer

Posted by: jasiones.4189

jasiones.4189

let me reiterate what I said…I leveled in a zerg getting credit for the taps because it was much quicker then solo killing stuff on my own. There was a nice zerg train this morning for about 2 1/2 hours just doing the same handful of events in a circle so that got me from 76 – halfway through 79 (did notice diminishing XP gains though).

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ahmon.1730

Ahmon.1730

let me reiterate what I said…I leveled in a zerg getting credit for the taps because it was much quicker then solo killing stuff on my own. There was a nice zerg train this morning for about 2 1/2 hours just doing the same handful of events in a circle so that got me from 76 – halfway through 79 (did notice diminishing XP gains though).

I don’t see an issue then. Necromancers are better at tapping than anyone.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Necro’s are not the best for tapping in a bigger zerg. More often than not you won’t do enough damage through dot’s to get the tap, my mark of blood only gets to tick 1 time 90% of the time. Any Dynamic event where the mobs are Invulnerable on the run up will trigger your marks and not do damage, unless of course you place them a bit further back to compensate…BUT most of the time the mobs won’t even leave the position they go vulnerable before they are dead.

I’d almost say warriors are the kings of tapping at least in the mob wave department. Longbow+great sword means they can do high DD(the sword spin, 100B, the explosive arrow, sword throw), a huge AOE burn(bow adrenaline move), conal sword basic attack, and that triple arrow thing.

in Necromancer

Posted by: NixZero.7540

NixZero.7540

and there was a zerg doing -that- because it is the fastest way to exp for everyone, not just necros.
if farming mobs by themselves wold be the best way to level for other classes, why would them be in that zerg?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Deistik.7802

Deistik.7802

Fastest way for any class to get from 75-80 was cooking with Karma mats (I got from 76-80 in about 45minutes!), but they fixed that right up. I’m currently specced for wells/marks for explorable Arah, and I love all the utility but I won’t pretend the warrior I roll with doesn’t do double the damage.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

Fastest way for any class to get from 75-80 was cooking with Karma mats (I got from 76-80 in about 45minutes!), but they fixed that right up. I’m currently specced for wells/marks for explorable Arah, and I love all the utility but I won’t pretend the warrior I roll with doesn’t do double the damage.

Necro doesnt do half of the damage of a warrior. Nemesis from the youtube channel “I am one and i am legion” made a video showing that necro’s dps is quite good actually when compared to warrior’s.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Necromancer has higher single target damage. Warriors just bring much better everything else.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

Thread NECRO’D – Nice to see people still have the same misconceptions 1 year later!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

I never had a problem with necromancer damage. Its pretty good actually. Its there defenses that I’ve always had issues with. My necro can kill things pretty quickly and can tap mobs in zergs fairly well as well. I don’t have an issue with either of these things. For tapping zergs, being a power necro makes that much harder then a hybrid or condi set but for the most part you shouldn’t have an issue. We have plenty of AOE attacks and our damage output is high on its own.

What we really lack is the ability to defend ourselves and escape from conflict. Not saying we have no defensive abilities, just that our defenses are not up to par with other professions.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Bad defensive options, lack of good weapons, no meaningful PvE utility all really hurt the profession.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

@Bwab, not sure if this is true after patch, seeing as the greatsword warrior now does some pretty decent damage, necro will always be that forgotten profession left to die in a corner, next to a ranger. Soon to be joined by mesmer.

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Bad defensive options, lack of good weapons, no meaningful PvE utility all really hurt the profession.

yeah. Still really enjoy the profession though. Especially with the rune and sigil changes. Makes me feel so much better.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

@Bwab, not sure if this is true after patch, seeing as the greatsword warrior now does some pretty decent damage, necro will always be that forgotten profession left to die in a corner, next to a ranger. Soon to be joined by mesmer.

Almost certain its still true, seeing as in a group we can abuse all the same mechanics they can (new runes, sigils, etc.).

yeah. Still really enjoy the profession though. Especially with the rune and sigil changes. Makes me feel so much better.

I still enjoy the profession, but I’ve been leveling my alts more seriously for when I end up in pug groups that lack some vital utility (like a thief for avoiding mobs), because I really can’t justify sitting on Necro if the team is struggling and I can swap. But in organized groups I love it.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

I mean we got hit a bit harder with the ferocity nerf than warriors, since we put anywhere from 2 to 3 trait points in the death shroud trait line that gives now 150 ferocity while a warrior doesn’t so he would retain the advertised 10% dps loss to full berserkers while the necro would take a slightly higher hit. Couple that to the axe or greatsword camping which are both high dps, i think necromancers fell behind warriors this patch.

Although necros do have some burst, though impractical, dps in terms of warhorn + wells + lich form for that added power damage.

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Almost certain its still true, seeing as in a group we can abuse all the same mechanics they can (new runes, sigils, etc.).

I still enjoy the profession, but I’ve been leveling my alts more seriously for when I end up in pug groups that lack some vital utility (like a thief for avoiding mobs), because I really can’t justify sitting on Necro if the team is struggling and I can swap. But in organized groups I love it.

The second profession I really like using is my guardian. Though i’ve been experimenting with a supportive turret build for my engineer lately. Usually I switch to guardian when we need more support. Considering the necromancer’s support is primarily in conditions and it doesn’t always function that well as damage mitigation as many bosses can attack through blind as though it wasn’t even applies, never fumble attacks or are just immune to CC such as chilled, crippling or fear.

When it comes to damage though, the ability to maintain 20-25 stacks of bleed along with permanent poison seems to make as a excellent back line DPS. Along with Epidemic bosses with trash mobs become a non-issue allowing allies to focus on the main target rather then worrying about adds.

Still, there is quite a bit that is to be desired with the profession.

in Necromancer

Posted by: vlad.4871

vlad.4871

yes necros are a dot class(not in this state)any classes stack faster bleeds than necros:)))))))

in Necromancer

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

yes necros are a dot class(not in this state)any classes stack faster bleeds than necros:)))))))

Sad but true. Even befor the torrment. Got added to warrior sword off had and it was only bleeds my hybrid war easily out dps’ed my condi necro

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

o,o Really? Power build Necro’s can peg people for some pretty crazy numbers. Throw a Lich form and Well Of Suffering in the mix and you should melt face. As for condition builds, I don’t have much trouble bursting people down in WvW. As for PvE, I’m pretty sure everyone knows by now conditions suck there, but once you get a rotation down you can still do some decent damage even with conditions.
So I’m not accusing you of being bad by any means but maybe you need more practice.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Necromancer

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

On the power necro comment wells do good damage and if you time it right you can turn it into.a burst. Drop wells lock with dagger switch to axe #2 watch target die.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I don’t see an issue then. Necromancers are better at tapping than anyone.

arguing about this point in the OP’s actual case is really taking away from the issue. So, back on topic, yeah?

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.