in Necromancer

Posted by: Lurinna.4306

Lurinna.4306

whoops, double post

spectral walk was working as intended

in Necromancer

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Clarification: the only thing that was changed was that you can’t use “Spectral Walk” in air. You can still use “Spectral Recall” which is the skill that returns you to your original location. This means you can still use Spectral Walk, jump off a cliff and teleport back.

What you can’t do is jump off a cliff, double tap Spectral Walk (and then Spectral Recall) just before hitting the ground to nullify falling damage.

But the red post in the linked topic clearly said that the feature now being removed was intentional.
Frankly, with all the awful and unnecessary nerfs to Necromancer, this is the one that disappoints me the most.
It was the one unique ability our profession has that nobody else could do. Survive any fall.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Burjis.3087

Burjis.3087

Other stun breaks can still function while you’re in the air. Now, Spectral Walk is going to be the first stun break that can’t actually do this.
You don’t have to touch ground before being able to use Spectral Armor for instance. Now I’m not sure if “Banish” or similar skills that actually toss you into the air or “launch” you, will still be breakable or not with Spectral Walk but if they can’t be, then it is going to be an unintended side-effect of this nerf which was completely unnecessary.
Fix a not-so-important “bug” just to create more problems.
I don’t understand the logic behind that.

Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP] (www.espguild.com)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tadsoul.6951

Tadsoul.6951

Thanks dude, that’s good to know.

I’m curious, does this mean Spectral Walk (first activation) won’t be able to break stuns that occur mid-air, so things like knockbacks/launches?

If you’re knocked-back in air you won’t be able to use Spectral Walk until you touch the ground. If you get knocked back while jumping, as soon as you hit the ground you can break it, just like other stunbreaks. However, if you already used Spectral Walk and then get cc’d in air, you can return back with Spectral Recall.

That said, as long as you’re on the ground you can stunbreak at any time. Hope I understood your question correctly.

then the change sucks, i thought it was 2 years back that you guys specifically changed stun-breakers to break cc mid animation otherwise what’s the point of stun-breakers at all?

That’s…what it does. Knockbacks and blowouts don’t count you as “in air”. What I’m saying is – if you jump off a cliff, and someone stuns you right as you jump – you can’t stunbreak until your feet touch the ground. However, if your Spectral Recall is ready you can pop it at any time since you’re allowed to use them in air.

Edit: For uber clarity – yes, you can stunbreak launches and knockbacks.

we don’t need to worry about the stunbreak he answered that very clearly.
the reason why they removed it would be nice … in hot wouldn’t the parachute work the same and there is always revive orbs. I suppose neither of those work in spvp but surviving the fall from skyhammer isn’t really benefical either

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

There is some simple reason why the devs did this. Spectral walk was giving necro players an unfair advantage when it comes to WvW. This skill was able to give you a perfect way to disengage every fight. If you are the only ones who can jump off a cliff surviving it there is no way to follow you to get the kill.

But don’t worry you are still able to do some unique and fun stuff with this skill. Just like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37HH6IEiPO4

This seems to be very fun to do and requires some skill.

(edited by Kodama.6453)

in Necromancer

Axelwarrior.9084

There is some simple reason why the devs did this. Spectral walk was giving necro players an unfair advantage when it comes to WvW. This skill was able to give you a perfect way to disengage every fight. If you are the only ones who can jump off a cliff surviving it there is no way to follow you to get the kill.

So just because it’s something nobody else can do, it’s an unfair advantage?
Not only is it highly situational, other classes can disengage a lot more easily and safely. Necromancer is the only class who has NOTHING.
Maybe if they care about WvW balance, they should actually do some WvW balancing.

in Necromancer

Kodama.6453

In my opinion it’s an unfair advantage because there is literally no other class in the game than necromancer who can follow you in this scenario. I agree necromancers got some mobility problems, so it would be great if you get some buffs in this. But it isn’t the answer to make it impossible to close the gap to you if you want to flee.

There are others classes with high mobility which are hard to follow that’s absolutely right but it isn’t IMPOSSIBLE to follow with other classes.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

In my opinion it’s an unfair advantage because there is literally no other class in the game than necromancer who can follow you in this scenario. I agree necromancers got some mobility problems, so it would be great if you get some buffs in this. But it isn’t the answer to make it impossible to close the gap to you if you want to flee.

There are others classes with high mobility which are hard to follow that’s absolutely right but it isn’t IMPOSSIBLE to follow with other classes.

If a Warrior saves Zerker Stance, then uses GS/Sword to escape, how many classes can keep up? Thief, maybe? And speaking of Thieves, how many classes can keep up with them if they want to escape? Other Thieves?

I don’t think you are thinking this one through. I can count on probably 1 hand the number of times I’ve actually used verticality to escape in WvW, after over a thousand hours played. Do you find Necros just standing near cliffs hoping a fight comes there way? How many locations on the Borderlands that are relevant at all would this even be applicable to? Hill, and maybe Garri, though with Garri the big “let’s get out of here” cliff leads to water, if I recall.

There has to be some other reason for this change, such as it breaking maps unintentionally. Otherwise, it’s a completely silly removal of flavor.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Kodama.6453

A fleeing warrior can be catched up by some others, for example you called thiefs, elementalists and engineers should be able too i guess if they are using the right skills.

About the cliff scenario: The Edge of the Mist has nothing but cliffs where you can use this advantage properly.

in Necromancer

Axelwarrior.9084

It absolutely is.
Thieves can go up big ledges by shadowstepping. And need I also mention stealth, which can literally get you out of ANY situation? Even without stealth, they’re insanely fast when played right.
Warriors. Pretty much can’t be CC’d when using that godkitten trait. Got abundant swiftness, dashes and leaps.
Engineers got infinite swiftness, as well as superspeed and rocket boots.
Elementalists. Swiftness, Superspeed, FGS. That’s enough.

Those are the major culprits and the rest of the classes ALSO have more escapes than Necromancer. We’re at the bottom of the food chain, but we have that ONE escape skill that can be used effectively in, like, 3 specific spots of the Eternal Backgrounds and ANet can’t possibly stand for that, right?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think it was a pvp or wvw balance decision.

They did it to simplify gating stuff behind glider mastery.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

in Necromancer

Axelwarrior.9084

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think it was a pvp or wvw balance decision.

In the end, what matters is they’re removing something unique to the class on top of all the other crap they’re giving it.
Honestly, I wouldn’t even be bothered that much if I was happy with the rest of the changes. It’s like a slap to the face after their kick to the stomach.

in Necromancer

Kodama.6453

That’s an interesting point, you could be right with that.
But I still think it’s a problem about disengaging too.

Thiefs were able to shadow step up but wasn’t there an update to fix something like this and aiming at teleports too?

Axelwarrior, sry, but I don’t get your point. Stealth is some guaranteed disengage, that’s right, but it seems arenanet is working on this. Just look at the new engineer trait “lock on”. And you listed many professions which can disengage by high mobility but there is a problem with this argument: you listed MANY professions with HIGH MOBILITY. So if one of them want to disengage with it, there are others having this mobility just to catch up. That’s just not possible if you jump off a cliff.

(edited by Kodama.6453)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I’m not familiar with glider mastery, but this sounds like it’s the case. They created content with vertical segments that they wanted to gate, and Necro’s ability to jump down a huge cliff circumvents that. Hence, change. Makes all the sense in the world, though I hate it when flavor dies.

I also don’t think anyone considers Edge of the Mist when thinking about balancing abilities. At least, I really hope they don’t.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Axelwarrior.9084

That’s an interesting point, you could be right with that.
But I still think it’s a problem about disengaging too.

Thiefs were able to shadow step up but wasn’t there an update to fix something like this and aiming at teleports too?

Axelwarrior, sry, but I don’t get your point. Stealth is some guaranteed disengage, that’s right, but it seems arenanet is working on this. Just look at the new engineer trait “lock on”. And you listed many professions which can disengage by high mobility but there is a problem with this argument: you listed MANY professions with HIGH MOBILITY. So if one of them want to disengage with it, there are others having this mobility just to catch up. That’s just not possible if you jump off a cliff.

No, I listed a ranking of escapes.
Meaning, Thieves can get away from anyone, Warriors can ALSO get away from anyone (I doubt thieves can catch up to them), Elementalists can get away from anyone besides Warriors, Engineers can get away from anyone besides Elementalists and Warriors. etc.
Necromancers can’t get away from anyone, unless there’s a cliff nearby and they can live long enough to get there. Now, which is worse for balance…?

in Necromancer

Kodama.6453

Well, thinking about it the point about gliding seems to fit the best.
Axelwarrior: You’re right about the chain you are complaining about and I already said there is some need to buff the mobility of the necromancer. I just don’t want it to be a skill which let you survive every falling damage. ^^

I really hope for necromancers to get some effort for this in the future.

in Necromancer

Axelwarrior.9084

Well, thinking about it the point about gliding seems to fit the best.
Axelwarrior: You’re right about the chain you are complaining about and I already said there is some need to buff the mobility of the necromancer. I just don’t want it to be a skill which let you survive every falling damage. ^^

I really hope for necromancers to get some effort for this in the future.

Then don’t justify this happening until that necessary buff actually comes.
Which is never. Never justify this happening.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Malchior.1928

Malchior.1928

Bringing this thread back to our main concern:

Why was the functionality change of Spectral Walk implemented?

Can we, the necromancer community, get a solid answer to this question, from you, the ArenaNet staff?

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Necromancer

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

I assume this has to do with the air keep in wvw that has a capturable buff that prevents you from taking fall damage in a zone. No point in needing that buff if players can just use spectral walk to bypass a defense. There are also zones that can’t be reached by gliding down

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sadrien.3470

Sadrien.3470

Clarification: the only thing that was changed was that you can’t use “Spectral Walk” in air. You can still use “Spectral Recall” which is the skill that returns you to your original location. This means you can still use Spectral Walk, jump off a cliff and teleport back.

What you can’t do is jump off a cliff, double tap Spectral Walk (and then Spectral Recall) just before hitting the ground to nullify falling damage.

K can you take away all the broken things mesmers do with portal now? It’s not fair to take away our only trick and not touch the most broken class.

Or just let us be immune to fall damage and let the mesmers break everything else.

The game survived this long with these things why change it now?

1st)
I agree that neither of these things should be touched. They were not game breaking, OP, or necessary to use.

2nd) Portal mesmers have huge counter play. They have to hide in a enemy objective for 5 minutes with extremely limited to invisibility on almost no mobility. There is absolutely no way this was OP. And in PvE who cares nothing in pve is competitive and dungeons speed runs are basically a series of exploits so portals are the least exploit like mechanic you will see in them.

Have fun. Be Alive. K Thnx Bye.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sadrien.3470

Sadrien.3470

Can we, the necromancer community, get a solid answer to this question, from you, the ArenaNet staff?

PM josh davis’ forum account and post a screenshot of his message.

Have fun. Be Alive. K Thnx Bye.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

So just because it’s something nobody else can do, it’s an unfair advantage?
Not only is it highly situational, other classes can disengage a lot more easily and safely. Necromancer is the only class who has NOTHING.
Maybe if they care about WvW balance, they should actually do some WvW balancing.

I would have to agree… Thieves, Mesmers and Elementalists can have vertical mobility in certain areas of the map… Making them essentially uncatchable in a similar way that Necromancer could jump off a cliff landing safely below while anyone else would die to fall damage.

To be honest, I think the change to SW is warranted because 100% negating fall damage sounds exploit-y to me. Not that I want this change… I would much rather be able to continue doing it. It saved my life just yesterday, actually. But I can understand the decision behind this unlike the decision behind Consume Conditions.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Necromancer

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

Who wants to bet money that with all these “fixes” and hundreds profession changes that they STILL haven’t fixed the Flesh Golem AI???

It’s the most embarrassing piece of programming I’ve ever seen in an MMO. Even WoW 1.0 over a decade ago had pets with better AI and pathing than the Flesh Golem…yet I’m betting money they did NOTHING.

When you factor in the nerf to spectral walk, huge buffs to other professions, nerf to chill/cripple, ZERO added ways to generate life force (especially at the beginning of a match when half your traits and defenses are worthless), zero improvements to AI, and Dhumfire worse than a minor trait for eles (who also can add blind to an identical pre-nerf Dhumfire trait if they decide to go GM)…then you essentially have what someone else mentioned earlier…

A punch to the gut…slap in the face…kick in the groin…and after you recover from that…a bucket of mud dumped on you (a-la this consume conditions TEN stacks of vulnerability nonsense).

in Necromancer

Malchior.1928

BUMP

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

Thanks dude, that’s good to know.

I’m curious, does this mean Spectral Walk (first activation) won’t be able to break stuns that occur mid-air, so things like knockbacks/launches?

If you’re knocked-back in air you won’t be able to use Spectral Walk until you touch the ground. If you get knocked back while jumping, as soon as you hit the ground you can break it, just like other stunbreaks. However, if you already used Spectral Walk and then get cc’d in air, you can return back with Spectral Recall.

That said, as long as you’re on the ground you can stunbreak at any time. Hope I understood your question correctly.

While we are on the the topic of air stuns and stun breaks, maybe we can have a discussion about air immobilize and why that is still a thing

in Necromancer

Malchior.1928

Still no answer from devs ? : \ Quite disconcerting.

[QQ] A Quaggan in Arah

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Now I definitely don’t have a reason to play any more.

This class was more fun to play at launch. At least Spectral Walk and Death Shroud were fun back then and minions weren’t totally broken. Now they’ve sucked the fun right out of the class.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

K can you take away all the broken things mesmers do with portal now? It’s not fair to take away our only trick and not touch the most broken class.

Or just let us be immune to fall damage and let the mesmers break everything else.

The game survived this long with these things why change it now?

1st)
I agree that neither of these things should be touched. They were not game breaking, OP, or necessary to use.

2nd) Portal mesmers have huge counter play. They have to hide in a enemy objective for 5 minutes with extremely limited to invisibility on almost no mobility. There is absolutely no way this was OP. And in PvE who cares nothing in pve is competitive and dungeons speed runs are basically a series of exploits so portals are the least exploit like mechanic you will see in them.

Portals allow you to massively speed up certain dungeons like Arah for example.

Portals let you get around the normal terrain limitations in many situations. I mean I can’t even list all the things that portal does.

I’m not saying it’s OP but it’s definitely more broken than spectral walk. They should leave these things alone because players have fun with them AKA they improve the game. Game devs often get their heads stuck up their butts and think they’re improving the game when they patch unintended exploits and fail to notice when they’re actually hurting the game by doing so.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bankai.3749

Bankai.3749

Then how are we supposed to get away…necro can’t get out of any sticky situation… I can’t blink, I can’t stealth, I can’t do whatever the warriors do their survival running away build, I can’t do the eles d/d bolt and fiery great sword running away build, and ranger have some type of winged ability that lets them fly away… I have to absorb the damage and die… Nercos are frowned upon in dungeons, easily countered in pvp, and WvW you can’t roam around especially now that condi have been buffed favoring Condi mesmers and thieves… power mesmers are horrid now they have some crazy illusions burst that hit for a combine total of 12k+ and eles infinite reflect and absorbing projectiles that allows them to run glass and do their wombo combo 15k+ with phoenix, dragon tooth, and whatever else the put on that combo that equals insta kill…also still have to deal with rangers with their crazy rapid fire on an 8 sec c/d and knock back and 1.5k 1500 range autos with a pet AI equivalent to another player… Speaking AI why does the ranger pet AI work and not our minion AI…

Legends Never [DIE]
Sanctum Of Rall: Ehmry Bay: Sea Of Sorrows

(edited by Bankai.3749)