what am i doing wrong

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: jhern.6097

jhern.6097

ive been tickering with the reaper power and condi builds and have noticed ive been having trouble with a few classes… as in tons of trouble. your trpical lb staff druid kicks my ass because of the stealth and ancient seed. daredevils whether they play power or any variation of the condi builds. then theres condi chronos. theyre prettt elusive. i forgot to mention interrupts from daredevils and condi removal on daredevils is frustrating to deal with. id appreciate some combat tips. i really want to get into reaper but atm it feels like such a kittenty class since its easy to kite them. reapers cant stealth. they cant block. their only block only affects projectiles and when they.cast it it weakens them.

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Build to play with allies.

Unless you are actually good at the game and most of the classes, you are wasting your time playing solo with reaper. Oh I’m sure some will come in here and tell you it’s viable to solo roam on reaper. Reaper is a push class, if you are not playing offensively you are going to lose to builds that dominate solo roaming with their defensive attack builds. If you play offensively against multiple players playing defensively you just die.

I know I know “but justine I play solo reaper all the time”. Ya and I could solo roam with a skill bar full of racial skills, doesn’t make it good for solo roaming.

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: Arzurag.7506

Arzurag.7506

Just try other classes, learn how they are played, begin to be aware of which build your opponent could use and learn how to adapt your playstyle against it.
Try to notice when did they use which ability and try to find counterparts.
Play wvw together with allies at first to avoid outnumbered fights.

But most importantly, try to accept the fact that you can´t win any fight.
Some builds are made to counter specific builds, same goes for some classes.
Even a so-called Pro-Player does lose fights from time to time.

…..and additionally, stay positive, ALWAYS!!!
nothing denies victory more often than saltiness/tilting.

“If you lose, you´re not bad, your opponent was just better.”

Walking’s good, fighting’s better, fcking’s best

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sephylon.4938

Sephylon.4938

Is this in regards to pvp or wvw?

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

ive been tickering with the reaper power and condi builds and have noticed ive been having trouble with a few classes… as in tons of trouble. your trpical lb staff druid kicks my ass because of the stealth and ancient seed. daredevils whether they play power or any variation of the condi builds. then theres condi chronos.

Daredevils (no matter what build they run) are your hardcounter. Sure, you can kill the bad ones, but the good ones will always destroy you. Daredevil and Reaper are my main classes for sPvP and roaming (3000 hours on each class). I know the mechanics and I can tell you when you lose against a Reaper on Daredevil it’s a 100% L2P issue.

Bunker Druids are unkillable for everyone and a super frustrating matchup for a Reaper because you can’t even run away. Don’t mind to fight them on Reaper as your mobility is limited. If you still want to try it and you want to maximize your chances (from 0:100 to 20:80) run a power Axe+Focus setup for ranged pressure, at least 2 stunbreaks (against Ancient Seeds) and Speed of Shadows for fast shroud 2 gap closer access.

Condi Cronos are absolutely doable on Power Reaper. I have a 90:10 win ratio running my standard roaming build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQRBHbhG2JHNQnNY5NgtNA9mYBXwgGABgWAVXoN8sividxwIA-T1BFQBKU5nAOJA6T9HA8EAUn+hSs/wFVCGAAB4mtZb2mBn38m38m38czbezbezbWKgqUaB-w

It’s important to locate and target the “real” mesmer very quick inside the illusion spam and pressue him with Axe and Focus.

As someone mentioned before: On Reaper it’s always a good idea to play aggressive to compensate your low mobility and gain control over the fight. The moment your opponent has enough time to kite you, you lose.

Sidenote: When you create a build, maximize your boon corrupt capabilities! This is a key feature of your class mechanic. You won’t simply outdamage most classes – especially not in WvW.

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tick.1605

Tick.1605

I find a mix of power and condi is the way to go for necro, pvp wise anyway

Lil Ticklers Necro PvP Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBoe48h7tEhzal3sPEepIIg

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

No, you focus on either condi or power. There is no such thing as a “mix” build

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Tick.1605

You can be carrion, or viper, theres a variety of mixed builds

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: Arzurag.7506

Arzurag.7506

You can be carrion, or viper, theres a variety of mixed builds

But they´re not considered as “mixed-builds”.

Carrion=Conditions
Viper=Conditions

For a power build you need power, ferocity and precision and a mixed-build or hybrid-build would need condition-damage, power, ferocity and precision.
For example, the destroyer´s Amulet offers hybrid-stats and then your build is considered as hybrid or mixed.

Walking’s good, fighting’s better, fcking’s best

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Tick.1605

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Carrion is not a hybrid. You’ll be doing the majority of your damage in condi damage.

Moreover it’s not even about stats, it’s about build, and there is no way to make a build that does equal power/condi that is actually effective at killing people.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

I got 2 commentaries here that could help you.
One against Druids and the other against Daredevils.

Edit: thought I should add that I agree with Justine on his point that reapers are a lot more viable as team roamers than solo roamers. You can watch Helly’s videos for a good example of how necros are far superior roaming in a group. I experienced going against his team first hand and saw how much more deadly a necro can be in a group.

Edit 2: I also agree with krhome on his point that a good DD with the right build is going to put a reaper to the sword. Especially condi reapers. Power reapers still has a small chance…but it’s a massive hill to climb.
A really good thief roamer to search for is Min Scherzo. He has a few vids on YouTube. He totally wrecks opponents.

vs Daredevil

vs Druid

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

(edited by EremiteAngel.9765)

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I can only really speak from power reaper experience. I played condi for a day and got bored with the facerolly nature of it. There’s little room to outplay people and it becomes a battle of the builds.

If this is WvW, power reaper stands a hell of a lot better of a chance against Daredevil than condi. CC lock them and build into mobility and you’ll keep up better than most other professions. If you actually play into a reaper’s mobility, it can catch people off guard with how much it can close a gap. You should already be doing this for any power build in a PvP environment, so it’s not like it only helps against the Daredevil matchup. You’ll need to learn how to play as and against thief to do it (timing on Suffer to send back weakness etc is huge), but you should beat a majority of daredevils as a power reaper if you run things like A/D + GS, CC-chain properly, and use your range and huge cleave radius and raw damage/defense to your advantage. You need to play very aggressively at the right time against them, but if you do, you can destroy them without much issue. Usually only takes 3/4 of a Soul Spiral to 100-0 them.

Exec Scythe if the scythe lands close to a stealthed target does track stealth, by the way. Learning to predict stealth and utilize cooldowns will kill most thieves that aren’t in the top like 2% of players.

As a power reaper, the only build which you really just can’t kill is Boonbunker staff druid. It’s just as mobile as Daredevil with a lot more sustain, innate defense, and will zone you out from its range and pet cutting your life force. Just run from that fight.

You’re going to struggle immensely against condi reapers as you’ll lack the cleanses, be taking huge damage hits from their larger health pools and armor rating on top of mass-weakness applications, all while your own conditions will be transferred and used against you. It’s hard, but winnable.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

You’re going to struggle immensely against condi reapers as you’ll lack the cleanses, be taking huge damage hits from their larger health pools and armor rating on top of mass-weakness applications, all while your own conditions will be transferred and used against you. It’s hard, but winnable.

Try this against a Condi Reaper (just condi-overload and outdamage him but make sure you start the fight with a full shroud):
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBHhF4kjGozGw2GgeTsgLYRbt81HA6qFAOAxXxuYYE-T1BFQBlY/B9p+jCV+dRlgA4JAIgTBg60HAA-w

Works great for me.

Second utility slot: Spectral Walk – Well of Power – Rise! … everything is viable.

(edited by KrHome.1920)

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

I’ve seen a lot of Reapers have great success in the dueling scene/WvW with hybrid Axe/WH/Staff (Spite/X/Reaper.) But WvW offers greater stat mixing options, so it probably isn’t as strong in sPvP when you’d have to do like Destroyers + Adventurers to get a squishier version of it.

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

I’ve seen a lot of Reapers have great success in the dueling scene/WvW with hybrid Axe/WH/Staff (Spite/X/Reaper.) But WvW offers greater stat mixing options, so it probably isn’t as strong in sPvP when you’d have to do like Destroyers + Adventurers to get a squishier version of it.

I have tried the destroyers amulet build in PvP and it’s very good when it cones to damage!
But the defense are nearly not existing, so only running a shout build for “Rise!” and Death Magic for toughness gives the build a bit of breath.

With low health pool I was running Curses, Death Magic and Reaper (might stacking only up to 18) with GS Axe/WH, doing well in 1vs1 but without chances in 1vs2.

What can be a good WvW stats mix for it? Celestial/Sinister with reaper’s runes?

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

narcx.3570

I have tried the destroyers amulet build in PvP and it’s very good when it cones to damage!
But the defense are nearly not existing, so only running a shout build for “Rise!” and Death Magic for toughness gives the build a bit of breath.

With low health pool I was running Curses, Death Magic and Reaper (might stacking only up to 18) with GS Axe/WH, doing well in 1vs1 but without chances in 1vs2.

What can be a good WvW stats mix for it? Celestial/Sinister with reaper’s runes?

I’m not sure what the cool kids use, but I’d imagine a mix of Berserkers and like Trailblazers and Carrion for Condi + Toughness/Vitality depending on what they think they’re going to be engaging. (Or just durability runes instead)

Never Celestial for Reapers though anymore, healing power scales very badly with our healing and is almost wasted stats compared to any other option.

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I’m not sure what the cool kids use, but I’d imagine a mix of Berserkers and like Trailblazers and Carrion for Condi + Toughness/Vitality depending on what they think they’re going to be engaging. (Or just durability runes instead)

Never Celestial for Reapers though anymore, healing power scales very badly with our healing and is almost wasted stats compared to any other option.

You don’t use celestial on reaper for the healing stat, you use it for the other 6.

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

Depend on how many stats you want to boost.

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

narcx.3570

You don’t use celestial on reaper for the healing stat, you use it for the other 6.

But you can easily obtain the other six by mixing gear without wasting stat weight on healing power (and even get sone expertise in on the mix.) Berserker + Viper + Soldier + Dire + Trailblazer + Valkyrie + Whatever… Unless your OCD prevents you from having everything not be the same stat prefix.

what am i doing wrong

in Necromancer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

But you can easily obtain the other six by mixing gear without wasting stat weight on healing power (and even get sone expertise in on the mix.) Berserker + Viper + Soldier + Dire + Trailblazer + Valkyrie + Whatever… Unless your OCD prevents you from having everything not be the same stat prefix.

If you’re trying to push those six stats, the highest you could possibly achieve would still be celestial as each stat would still be roughly 5% higher than a mix of the rest to even gains.

You could to Marauder + Viper and achieve similar figures in something specialized and have “optimal” gains for power I guess, but you’d be sacrificing a lot of power, ferocity, and condition damage to the point it’d be kind of questionable still as to whether or not it’d break even.

It’d only really be useful for very specific circumstances. Otherwise kind of pointless imho and other builds scale better.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)