1 handed sword would be my favorite weapon if...

in Ranger

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I could dodge out of auto attacks. Seriously think about it, it could be the one thing rangers have going for them in melee.

Thieves can hit big then run away really fast.
Warriors have heavy armor and do a lot of damage.
Rangers can dodge like crazy in melee range. If it worked correctly

It just makes sense. Unfortunately, you can’t interrupt auto attack for a dodge roll or one of the two evasion skills. This is a bug right?

Because right now 1h sword is actually the least dodgy weapon in the game. Every time you initiate an attack you’re making a commitment. While it does do a considerable amount of damage, it still doesn’t stand up to the raw damage warriors and thieves can put out, nor does it have a means of escape or survival.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Deathfrost.9145

Deathfrost.9145

Id be happy if they let us move while swinging.

in Ranger

DarkWasp.7291

Id be happy if they let us move while swinging.

That would fix the dodge issue too.

It’s almost like the sword has a handicap on for unskilled players or something.

in Ranger

Posted by: Deleven.7508

Deleven.7508

first off remember to turn off auto attack so that you dont self root.

i think the one thing about the one handed sword is that it is rather un-intuitive the way it actually works, it isn’t an attack like most other weapons have, its a 3 stage leap. the attack is really good for chasing foes, but not great for brawls. the trick will be using the ranger’s other skills to do some damage while focusing on not taking damage through dodging, then using the 1 skill to finish your opponent off once they are running away.

pve however i see fewer uses as enemies rarely run away.

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

it would be too strong. you already have two dodges on the sword, and u have 3 if you equip the dagger. sword, dagger and horn are ranger weapons im happy with.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Qaletaqa Hania.2598

Qaletaqa Hania.2598

-SNIP-

That doesn’t always work, even when auto-attack is disabled you might still “self-root”.

in Ranger

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

-SNIP-

That doesn’t always work, even when auto-attack is disabled you might still “self-root”.

This is correct. Even with the 1 ability’s default auto-attack disabled, manually casting the chain will still root the Ranger. I encourage Rangers who believe this is a “fix” to try moving while “spamming” the 1 ability.

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Posted by: Deleven.7508

Deleven.7508

ya, i know it doesn’t always work, but it sure helps alot, just putting it here to help people if they want to cope with the current 1h sword. i found some other things that might help some other people dealing with this

button mashing the 1 key will queue together several 1 attacks and will root you, try to avoid this.

when using the one chain, imagine your are using a melee range swoop ( the greatsword’s 3 attack) and remember that it has a fairly long animation for an auto attack.

i found a fun combo in hitting the oponent with the first 1 attack, deselecting the opponent and using the 1 attack to dash behind your opponent, then re-selecting the opponent for the last 1 attack. more useful in pvp.

lastly make sure you keybind the aboutface command, its useful for several combos.

(edited by Deleven.7508)

in Ranger

Posted by: Dire.2674

Dire.2674

Not to mention that, once you’ve disabled auto-attack, your DPS goes down significantly (because there’s no way you can mesh your button nearly as efficiently as the AI) and the whole thing becomes just not worth it.

I actually leveled my ranger primarily because of 1h sword, that’s how much I like it (in combination with warhorn). I was one of those weird rangers who prefer to melee – it’s so much less boring – and only switch to a bow when I must.

Except, of course, that 1h sword is as close as it gets to suiside in both PvP and dungeons. Once I’ve figured that out, my ranger became my bank mule. I would go back to it in a heartbeat, though, if the sword’s auto-attack rooting problem was taken care of.

in Ranger

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

Slapping a bandaid on a broken arm doesn’t fix the broken arm. Likewise, handicapping yourself by doing gimmicks with the sword to make it work doesn’t fix the issue. Its still a broken mechanic that needs addressing. Similar attacks work just as well across the board and in various other professions, so why the Ranger’s Sword?

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I hate the 1-handed sword on Ranger because it takes away control of my character. It auto-leaps, and can’t be used on the move, so am forced to auto-pilot on it. It’s just really awkward.
Also wish Hornet Sting would work in reverse, with the initial strike being a leap, and the secondary strike being a dodge out (give it some time before it returns to the initial strike, though). It would be nice for an opener, while having the backward dodge is nice to have when switching to a ranged weapon.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

in Ranger

Posted by: Damage.7493

Damage.7493

Id love to have the first attack in hornet sting work in reverse also… Great idea.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Tried sword and horn on wvw last night. Pretty unreliable form of attack for chasing down people. It definitely makes more sense for skill 2 to gap close and then roll back.

Skill 1 is just so random. I tried mashing 1 in a crowd of enemies and I’d often slash a guy twice and then launch myself onto another target if I don’t self root.

Seems the only thing the sword it’s good for ATM is to use it to run away. :s

in Ranger

DarkWasp.7291

While I agree that it’s annoying losing control of your character, the ability to hang on your target needs to stay.

Maybe it could apply some sort of speed buff? This way people could do the whole target deselect trick manually (aka aim away instead of deselect) without “playing the UI.” (One of ArenaNet’s philosophies is to reduce playing the UI, but I’m not sure if they accounted for the deselect trick.)

For now I just feel like being able to dodge out would be good. And you may think its OP, but I’ve fought several other classes who can be invulnerable/evading/blinding/invisable/warping for 13 seconds out of a 15 second fight. So I don’t know if it would be too unfair to give rangers superior dodging abilities.

Also you have to consider PvE too. I find that making a viable melee weapon that can dodge away from big attacks in dungeons would be a serious boon to melee overall.

(edited by DarkWasp.7291)

in Ranger

Posted by: Luriyu.6873

Luriyu.6873

i’m wondering if chain:2 for sword attack should also provide an evade as well.

that could potentially make sword-axe the ranger-tank and provide more survivability. this goes along with the apparent mobility-focus of the ranger.

(edited by Luriyu.6873)