5 Reasonable Ranger Changes

in Ranger

Posted by: Anthrage.2519

Anthrage.2519

How about each one of us post a list of 5 basic and reasonable changes and see if ANet notices or likes any of them. We’ll all post something from the set of skills we actually use, so will thus cover all of them. Here’s mine:

1. Add a Blind effect to Warhorn 4, Hunter’s Call
Rangers are the only class that has no access to a Weapon Skill Blind nor any Traits that open it up. WH 4 is also a bit lackluster as it nonsensically requires LoS and is easily obstructed. Would be a nice way to give Rangers access to blind.

2. Heal as One, reduce activation time to 1 second
This heal is currently far too easy to interrupt, with it’s 1 1/4 activation and ‘look at me I’m healing’ casting animation. The Warrior Heal ‘Mending’, also on a 20 second recast, that heals AND removes 3 conditions, has a 1 second activation time. Reasonable change.

3. Make Pet F2 icon Display ICD
Currently, after you have used your pet’s F2 skill, the icon shows the cooldown time via being blacked out. If you attempt to use the F2 again during this time, it will fail. However, there is an invisible ICD for the other pet skills, where if you attempt to use the F2 skill, it will fail and you’ll get a shot cooldown. Right now, there is no way to know if your pet’s F2 is on an ICD as it is invisible…make the F2 icon show when it is unavailable due to the ICD via the same graphical effect it currently does foe the F2 cooldown itself.

4. Change Trapper’s Defense Trait
This skill "Creates a spike trap while reviving an ally. " Modify the trap type from Spike to Smoke, which when tripped would either cause all allies in the field to be stealthed for 2 seconds, similar to Thief’s Merciful Ambush, or cause all hostiles in the field to be blinded, and of course be a smoke field.

5. Modify Longbow-related Traits
Currently there are 3 longbow-related traits – Eagle Eye, Piercing Arrows and Quick Draw. These are all Master Traits, and 2 of them are in the same line, which means for anyone wishing to use those 2 together, they are automatically unable to access the Grandmaster Traits in that line. By Comparison, the Warrior Longbow range and the Engineer Rifle modifier are Adept Traits, and Warrior Pierce and Recharge timer reductions are bundled in the same Trait. The Engineer Recharge timer is also an Adept trait…

Recommend bundling Piercing Arrows with Quick Draw in Skirmishing, and adding a new Master Marksmanship Trait that either extends range for Shortbow, or, Increases Shortbow and Harpoon damage by 5%, similar to Power Shots for Thief.
_ _ _

These I feel are all reasonable, easily do-able, and while small changes, would represent some improvement for Rangers using these skills, as well as bringing them more in line with the other professions.

Ranger Anthrage Stormrider – Sanguine Wild Guild [SW]
sPvP BuildWvW Build
Tarnished Coast Server- Anthrage Stormrider on Youtube

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

1. Blind added. Damage halved.
2. Cast time halved as well as healing coefficient.

In all seriousness, I thinking the my changes are about as likely to happen as yours. ANet has shown that their forums are NOT the place for communication. At best they are used for advice and build sharing which is then fed back to them so they can plan their next nerfs.

As to your suggestions #3 sounds reasonable and #4 is locked by the already existing traps. As for #5 most classes suffer from bad trait distribution and expansion.

in Ranger

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

It makes me sad that such a good post doesn’t have more support. Proof positive that we’ve all but given up on theory crafting — especially when half the builds that come up here now are from other professions telling us what’s so great about our class.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

1. Reverse the vulnerability change on GS#2, it just doesn’t make sense, and the bleed was nice.
  2. Introduce a better pet UI where we can see boons/conditions
  3. Introduce an advanced pet control system so people who take rangers seriously (I’m sure there is at least one) can have control over our forced mechanic.
  4. Give blast finisher to GS#2 so rangers can contribute more in zergs
  5. Introduce a better mechanic for pig F2, where it works like thief steal, or at least the foraged item spawns in your hand, with an option to drop it to the ground.
Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Anthrage.2519

ChillyChinaman – Mostly likely you are right about using an existing trap, though given the mechanic exists for thief, it could be easily done I think if they wanted to.

1. Introduce an advanced pet control system so people who take rangers seriously (I’m sure there is at least one) can have control over our forced mechanic.

Regarding things, ANet is on record saying they do not want to give rangers direct control over the Pet abilities as they feel it would be too difficult for people to manage. A statement I find absolutely crazy, but it is their official position.

Thanks for posting your 5 – hope we get more! ANet may not read this forum, but it is still worth we ourselves discussing it.

sPvP BuildWvW Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Seisyll.5914

Seisyll.5914

How come everyone have direct control over their class mechanics and rangers don’t? Is it so hard to make a switch so you can (but not have to) take control over the pet? It would just make rangers even more wonderful as they would require more skill to use their full potential.

80 Ranger | 80 Thief | 80 Ele | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior | 80 Engineer | 80 Necromancer
Piken Square

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

1. Reverse the vulnerability change on GS#2, it just doesn’t make sense, and the bleed was nice.
  2. Introduce a better pet UI where we can see boons/conditions
  3. Introduce an advanced pet control system so people who take rangers seriously (I’m sure there is at least one) can have control over our forced mechanic.
  4. Give blast finisher to GS#2 so rangers can contribute more in zergs
  5. Introduce a better mechanic for pig F2, where it works like thief steal, or at least the foraged item spawns in your hand, with an option to drop it to the ground.

Actually, the vulnerability on maul makes perfect sense if you think about it. You’re swinging your sword down with all your might. That’s enough power to break a few bones and armor.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

Actually, the vulnerability on maul makes perfect sense if you think about it. You’re swinging your sword down with all your might. That’s enough power to break a few bones and armor.

And make some bleed. Or leave them weakened. >_>Hint Hint…

in Ranger

Posted by: Pvp.2758

Pvp.2758

How about each one of us post a list of 5 basic and reasonable changes and see if ANet notices or likes any of them. We’ll all post something from the set of skills we actually use, so will thus cover all of them. Here’s mine:

1. Add a Blind effect to Warhorn 4, Hunter’s Call
Rangers are the only class that has no access to a Weapon Skill Blind nor any Traits that open it up. WH 4 is also a bit lackluster as it nonsensically requires LoS and is easily obstructed. Would be a nice way to give Rangers access to blind.

2. Heal as One, reduce activation time to 1 second
This heal is currently far too easy to interrupt, with it’s 1 1/4 activation and ‘look at me I’m healing’ casting animation. The Warrior Heal ‘Mending’, also on a 20 second recast, that heals AND removes 3 conditions, has a 1 second activation time. Reasonable change.

Currently, after you have used your pet’s F2 skill, the icon shows the cooldown time via being blacked out. If you attempt to use the F2 again during this time, it will fail. However, there is an invisible ICD for the other pet skills, where if you attempt to use the F2 skill, it will fail and you’ll get a shot cooldown. Right now, there is no way to know if your pet’s F2 is on an ICD as it is invisible…make the F2 icon show when it is unavailable due to the ICD via the same graphical effect it currently does foe the F2 cooldown itself.

4. Change Trapper’s Defense Trait
This skill "Creates a spike trap while reviving an ally. " Modify the trap type from Spike to Smoke, which when tripped would either cause all allies in the field to be stealthed for 2 seconds, similar to Thief’s Merciful Ambush, or cause all hostiles in the field to be blinded, and of course be a smoke field.

5. Modify Longbow-related Traits
Currently there are 3 longbow-related traits – Eagle Eye, Piercing Arrows and Quick Draw. These are all Master Traits, and 2 of them are in the same line, which means for anyone wishing to use those 2 together, they are automatically unable to access the Grandmaster Traits in that line. By Comparison, the Warrior Longbow range and the Engineer Rifle modifier are Adept Traits, and Warrior Pierce and Recharge timer reductions are bundled in the same Trait. The Engineer Recharge timer is also an Adept trait…

Recommend bundling Piercing Arrows with Quick Draw in Skirmishing, and adding a new Master Marksmanship Trait that either extends range for Shortbow, or, Increases Shortbow and Harpoon damage by 5%, similar to Power Shots for Thief.
_ _ _

These I feel are all reasonable, easily do-able, and while small changes, would represent some improvement for Rangers using these skills, as well as bringing them more in line with the other professions.

Guarantee this will be overlooked and nothing will be done because they don’t give a flying kitten.

S(KILL) Gametypes > WvW & sPVP

in Ranger

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

ChillyChinaman – Mostly likely you are right about using an existing trap, though given the mechanic exists for thief, it could be easily done I think if they wanted to.

1. Introduce an advanced pet control system so people who take rangers seriously (I’m sure there is at least one) can have control over our forced mechanic.

Regarding things, ANet is on record saying they do not want to give rangers direct control over the Pet abilities as they feel it would be too difficult for people to manage. A statement I find absolutely crazy, but it is their official position.

Thanks for posting your 5 – hope we get more! ANet may not read this forum, but it is still worth we ourselves discussing it.

I’m still hoping for non-combat, untargetable/invulnerable pets that give passive and active buffs. After all, many areas are decidedly unfriendly toward minions and companions of any type, and it seems quite unbalanced that the only profession forced into a disadvantage from this is the ranger.

in Ranger

Anthrage.2519

Guarantee this will be overlooked and nothing will be done because they don’t give a flying kitten.

Sadly I don’t disagree with you at all.

sPvP BuildWvW Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Fiorrello.8126

Fiorrello.8126

i think it would be cool if rangers could capitalize on the martial mastery thing a bit more.

i’m not saying get a trait as awesome as the warriors [fast hands] but maybe fast hands little brother in the form of a 3 second cooldown reduction on weapon swap.

in Ranger

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

2. Give blast finisher to GS#2 so rangers can contribute more in zergs.

The Vulnerability would make more sense given that it’s a power-based weapon; the condition function just needs an improvement on duration, stack strength or both.

Adding a blast finisher won’t solve core problems the weapon faces (clunky animation response, bad base damage, bad trait synergy) but will force a nerf on other weapon functions. If the weapon receives its needed QoL improvements, I’m sure everybody will be singing another tune when it comes to this potential blast finisher.

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

2. Give blast finisher to GS#2 so rangers can contribute more in zergs.

The Vulnerability would make more sense given that it’s a power-based weapon; the condition function just needs an improvement on duration, stack strength or both.

Adding a blast finisher won’t solve core problems the weapon faces (clunky animation response, bad base damage, bad trait synergy) but will force a nerf on other weapon functions. If the weapon receives its needed QoL improvements, I’m sure everybody will be singing another tune when it comes to this potential blast finisher.

The problem with the vulnerability change is, there isn’t enough vulnerability to make up for the loss of bleed damage. Unless the target is already capped, the bleeding dealt more damage at +0 condition damage/duration than the new vulnerability adds.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

The problem with the vulnerability change is, there isn’t enough vulnerability to make up for the loss of bleed damage. Unless the target is already capped, the bleeding dealt more damage at +0 condition damage/duration than the new vulnerability adds.

Which is why the stacks need to be improved, as I said before. Vulnerability will amplify all of the damage done from your attacks, whereas bleeds do not. Having a sufficient stack of vulnerability in this case will help since the weapon has no other condition damage to rely on.

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

The biggest hit on GS is maul. I don’t think its a good idea to put the vulnerability on it. Maybe they should put vulnerability on swoop and give maul a blast finisher.

As for more pet controllability I think its pretty basic and very reasonable to have control over a mechanic that is so integral to the class. Regardless what ANet thinks about the skills involved with controling our pets.

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

The biggest hit on GS is maul. I don’t think its a good idea to put the vulnerability on it. Maybe they should put vulnerability on swoop and give maul a blast finisher.

As for more pet controllability I think its pretty basic and very reasonable to have control over a mechanic that is so integral to the class. Regardless what ANet thinks about the skills involved with controling our pets.

Please, please, please can everybody stop suggesting Maul get a blast finisher? It will necessitate rebalancing for the entire weapon set and won’t solve the core issues of the weapon itself. It needs more responsive skills and better flow between the skills, as well as a minor damage buff. Vulnerability on Maul would be fine if the condition was a) longer, stronger, or both and b) applied before the attack damage.

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

How is there a problem with the flow between the skills on GS?

in Ranger

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

1. Remove the root from Sword 1, keep the leap
Like the leap a lot, but I really dont like the root :-/ the root is keeping you from dodging when you need it (you literally can’t dodge!) and prohibits effective flanking in sPvP. Therefore, you can’t use your skill as a player to outplay your enemies.

2. Longbow Changes
1) Combine Piercing Arrows with Quick Draw in Skirmishing.
New Marksmanship Master Trait: Aimed Shot – “Opening Strike deals an additional 15% damage”

Reasoon: This allows to effectively use the Long Bow in small scale fights and adds some well needed damage to it. This synergizes with remorseless and gives Rangers another tactical possibility.

I’m fine with that.

4. Increase the Damage of Lighting Reflexes
Compare it to Lightning Flash of eles, this skill should definetly hurt more.

5. Fix Pet attack behavior or shift more damage to the Ranger
With the pet not being able to land hits in GW2’s fast paced combat, the pet is the main reason for low power damage of the ranger.
Fix: if a pet starts its attack in range of 600 Units, it’s actuall attackrange should be 900. (random number, dont know the true values)
Reason: this would allow the pet to finish it’s attack if the enemy is simply walking away.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

in Ranger

Posted by: BlackenX.7386

BlackenX.7386

Master Trait VI : Carnivorous Appetite – Pets gain health on critical hits.
Healing: 276 (0.1)?
This trait heals your pet when it critically hits an enemy.
This trait benefits off the pet’s healing power, not the player’s.

Adept Trait II: Concentration Training – Boons applied by your pets last longer.
Only functions while the pet is attacking a target.

Adept Trait IV: Compassion Training – Pets heal for more.

Who will use those traits seriously?

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

Let’s address each skill on the weapon.

1. Chain has very little damage and it’s slow to boot. This means it cannot capitalize on the vulnerability provided by Maul and provides nothing that would discourage your enemy from facerolling in your direction. Anet focused on the evade over its damage functionality and kitten GS as soon as they nerfed it during beta. I’m not saying it was balanced during beta, but it’s in a sad state now.

2. Maul is a very slow, very telegraphed skill with no notable functions besides damage, and even then it has to crit to be noticed. Its vulnerability stacking would have potential if it had more of them and they lasted a bit longer; as it is the only skill this really has synergy with is Hilt Bash.

3. This is honestly probably the best skill GS has right now; I don’t have much to complain about here besides possibly damage because it has clean animation/execution and has a great recharge+a finisher.

4. This skill could have been great, but both of its second functions are too slow and too clunky to be effective in higher level play, and neither does significant damage to punish your foes for bad positioning/actions. The counter doesn’t put them in a good position to Hilt Bash, nor does it put enough distance between you and your target, and it’s too vulnerable to skills like Whirlwind Attack, that go right through you and pretty much dodge the counter. (which is slow enough to side step anyway if you have swiftness up and are already moving as you trigger it) The throw doesn’t do enough to really have much impact since the damage is negligible and the throw can be intercepted by something else really easily due to its speed.

5. Another skill that could have turned out really well, but fails due to no damage, clunky animation that has no gap closing ability yet is still affected by slows, and a buff to your pet that can’t even stack with signets/traits. This has marginal synergy with maul because of the stun, even though it doesn’t really increase its damage, but it’s too slow to combo well off of Swoop.

All of these issues compound upon each other in combat.

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

Let’s address each skill on the weapon.

1. Chain has very little damage and it’s slow to boot. This means it cannot capitalize on the vulnerability provided by Maul and provides nothing that would discourage your enemy from facerolling in your direction. Anet focused on the evade over its damage functionality and kitten GS as soon as they nerfed it during beta. I’m not saying it was balanced during beta, but it’s in a sad state now.

2. Maul is a very slow, very telegraphed skill with no notable functions besides damage, and even then it has to crit to be noticed. Its vulnerability stacking would have potential if it had more of them and they lasted a bit longer; as it is the only skill this really has synergy with is Hilt Bash.

3. This is honestly probably the best skill GS has right now; I don’t have much to complain about here besides possibly damage because it has clean animation/execution and has a great recharge+a finisher.

4. This skill could have been great, but both of its second functions are too slow and too clunky to be effective in higher level play, and neither does significant damage to punish your foes for bad positioning/actions. The counter doesn’t put them in a good position to Hilt Bash, nor does it put enough distance between you and your target, and it’s too vulnerable to skills like Whirlwind Attack, that go right through you and pretty much dodge the counter. (which is slow enough to side step anyway if you have swiftness up and are already moving as you trigger it) The throw doesn’t do enough to really have much impact since the damage is negligible and the throw can be intercepted by something else really easily due to its speed.

5. Another skill that could have turned out really well, but fails due to no damage, clunky animation that has no gap closing ability yet is still affected by slows, and a buff to your pet that can’t even stack with signets/traits. This has marginal synergy with maul because of the stun, even though it doesn’t really increase its damage, but it’s too slow to combo well off of Swoop.

All of these issues compound upon each other in combat.

1. The autoattack chain has decent damge, provides 33% evades at melee range and does decent damage. Its a lot more than what the other ranger weapon auto attacks do, and even better than some of the auto attacks other profs have.

2. The telegraphed animation is necessary as it deals high damage on a single attack. Of course you need crits for that, just like on every other damage skill.

3. Swoop does better damage than the auto attack, its not maul, but I don’t think it needs to be.

4. The damage on Crippling throw is higher than the auto attack. I wouldn’t call it insignificant or negligable. It probably won’t 1shot anyone, if that’s what you mean.

5. Hilt bash is an interrupt with a range of 300. It works well with moment of clarity as demonstrated from time to time by others on this forum.

You want the greatsword to be an uber weapon, its a good weapon and doesn’t need improvement to every skill on it. As for landing hits in high level play, I am sure that most weapon skills of most profession is harder to land in high level play.

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

1. The autoattack chain has decent damge, provides 33% evades at melee range and does decent damage. Its a lot more than what the other ranger weapon auto attacks do, and even better than some of the auto attacks other profs have.

2. The telegraphed animation is necessary as it deals high damage on a single attack. Of course you need crits for that, just like on every other damage skill.

3. Swoop does better damage than the auto attack, its not maul, but I don’t think it needs to be.

4. The damage on Crippling throw is higher than the auto attack. I wouldn’t call it insignificant or negligable. It probably won’t 1shot anyone, if that’s what you mean.

5. Hilt bash is an interrupt with a range of 300. It works well with moment of clarity as demonstrated from time to time by others on this forum.

You want the greatsword to be an uber weapon, its a good weapon and doesn’t need improvement to every skill on it. As for landing hits in high level play, I am sure that most weapon skills of most profession is harder to land in high level play.

1. It does less damage than almost all of our other power-weapon autos, and has an evade that is not on-demand, as it requires you to hit twice before it activates. The evade also prolongs the damage you would get from your third attack since it’s slower than the first two attacks, decreasing your potential dps even more.

2. Maul has nothing going for it other than damage. I’m fine with it being telegraphed, but you don’t even gain dps with it unless you crit, necessitating higher precision for the skill to do more than break even, since you have a higher chance of critting on either of your first two auto attack chains than you do of critting on just Maul. Its slightly higher coefficient does little to remedy this problem.

3. Swoop nets you no additional dps if used in melee range, due to activation time. That’s really my only problem with it, though that’s easy to ignore given the fact that it’s still a leap finisher.

4. As an individual packet, yes, it has slightly more damage, but it’s slow to activate. It should be faster given the fact that it’s telegraphed by the blocking animation. You still lose dps if you aren’t gaining from the cripple. The counter attack animation/effects are still pretty bad and don’t accomplish either of their possible goals.

5. Hilt Bash actually has redundant synergy with MoC because the buffs cannot stack on your pet, meaning you are wasting potential damage. If MoC either stacked with other damage modifiers or simply increased your damage to stunned/dazed foes, it would be much better. MoC is also pretty much the only example I see people use when justifying the state of Hilt Bash, which isn’t particularly encouraging.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ocelot.4278

Ocelot.4278

One that has surprisingly not said directly in this thread..Pressing F2 should cancel any current action the pet is doing and start casting its skill, the cast time would be fine If pressing F2 allways resulted in the pet trying to cast it skill, whether it misses or get interrupted is fine..
Having a reliable casting F2 would buff the ranger and pet use 10 fold, it would give rangers a “red mage” like mechanic, with a range of F2 skills to use no matter your current gear build..
The one scenario that keeps poping in my head is using my wolf in WvW, as many people do for its knockdown and fear.Can you imagine being in a 1v1 and no matter your build, knowing that press F2 will give you a fear in 2 seconds. you foe starts his burst, you do your evasive maneuvers,press F2 and make sure your near your wolf when it goes of.

Now in its current state F2 cast time is to inconsistent.
If this simple change was made, im sure you will see many more people optimizing there use with pets(use this skill, use that skill, press F2 then finish with that skill)

I dont care how weak the pet is, or how much “power” is deverted to a pet that barely lands a hit to anyone with a keyboard with WASD keys..i want to press F2 as a tactic and not as lets press and see what happens

I could go on about this for awhile, but its all been said at one point or another and i realize the OP is “5 reasonable changes” so

1) Pressing F2 cancels the pets current action/skill/attack and starts casting its skill

2) Two or more pet fight modes, the current one of running behind the target(for PvE)
and one for direct attack,takes quickest path to target and attack

3) Missing back item and Axe/whatever when throwing Axe,

4) The ability to save pet names

5)Pig F2 rework.summon to hand or cant be picked up/used by enemy’s

I should also note that i mostly play WvW and all my suggestion are based of that

(edited by Ocelot.4278)

in Ranger

Posted by: Troopa.6179

Troopa.6179

some of you mentioned good improvements of the rangers.

I’ll also put my 5 most important changes into the discussion
__
better Pet control
As the only class, beside of the necro’s minions, we can have a companion. But what’s the need of one if he cannot dodge or do proper damage or gets killed almost instantly.
I would recommend a better overview to our pet.

nagymbear.5280
Introduce a better pet UI where we can see boons/conditions

this is useful so we can se what affects our pet or
make the pet avoid with you; should mean whenever you dodge the pet does it too. or a additional button to give the dodge command for your pet.
a pet-skill-overview is probably too much. for usage and development

sword #1
as Aeri said with this skill you can hardly dodge away. the only way to avoid is using sword #2 or #3 and even that does not work immediately all the time
What ever has to be done for making dodging available needs to be done!

shouts especially “search and rescue”
Can anybody say that he uses this skills? for myself, I do not. Only “Sick ’em” and “protect me” are good enough but also rarely used. Probably there is some potential to improve and also in the traits for shouts.

axe as non ranged
Sometimes it’s annoying that a ranger only can use 1 1handed melee weapon. Why is the axe, for god sake, a ranged weapon. of course we can be lucky to have a ranged axe as the only class but something else to change from sword would be nice too.
I have something in mind like the axe#1 of the warrior and for example vulnerability to #2 or #3 because an axe can break even a shield. #4 and #5 of the rangers axe is okay if you close an eye on the not moving of #5 but else it would be op.

hawk and eagle
just a filling change proposal Why do we have 2 pets that are totally the same???
before a patch – can’t remember wich one – they were really the same even the skin. that was fixed after that patch but the skills are the same. Why that? Would be wiser to create a new bird with another condition or perhaps a boon. there are some that can be given to a bird (confusion – screaming the foe’s ear off, stun/daze – beat the foe with a wing ) this are examples with a “natural” comparison not ingame movement
__

yeath, that’s my opinion to the ranger class. the last one is only minor and the 4th only half-major. Number 1 and 2 are critical
are some thoughts about that?

regards Troopa

P.S.: i rarely play with the GS

veteran ranger (main)- Troopa The Hawk – tyrian survivalist
veteran engineer – Whiteclaw Pete – flaming bastard
veteran guardian – Wolfborn Troopa – healing eagle

in Ranger

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

One thing I think they should look into combing the pet “attack” and “return” buttons with the passive/aggressive button. This would effectively create a toggle button that would function as both an attack and return button by toggling between the aggressive/passive stance on a single button. This way they would free up a button for use with my next idea.

Now that we have a free button for use, they add a button for a new stance that puts the pet into an evasive/stalking stance where they avoid attacks (consider it a “passive aggressive” mode). Another twist on this would turn this into a burst mode where the pet focuses on avoiding attacks, but still it’s abilities with the exception of auto-attack…. or something of this nature anyways.

I would also like to see ways to actually take care of our pets. One thing that has always disappointed me was the fact that pets don’t really feel like an actual mechanic in this game. Their design in how they fill our role as a class mechanic seems to be conflicting; one on hand they are something to be “used up” until they are dead (dumping conditions, etc.); on the other hand they seem to be a mechanic that we are supposed to keep alive as a sustained benefit (sustained damage, etc.). However, they don’t have anything to build up and then use up like the warrior/thief mechanics for example, nor do they seem to have the tools necessary to be kept alive.

Sure they have a return button and an attack button, but it doesn’t really help to call them back to you for safety if you are two feet away attacking melee, or if you are at a range they usually run through every attack they possibly can plus the kitchen sink on their way back… we have no control over that stuff.

They really need to just overhaul the pet controls if they want to keep pets; remove the attack and return buttons, at least combine them into one if you have to keep them and give make the pet keys about keeping your pet alive. Give us a way to have them go into an evasive/survival mode, ways to remove conditions from them to sustain them, etc. The rest of the ranger class can be rebalanced after fixing the kitten mechanic that is supposed to be the base, the pillar, the foundation of the class. We need a proper base to build the class off of properly.

To sum it up, I only have one reasonable ranger change that I want to see ASAP:

1. Revamp the pet keys (the “f” keys) to tools that help sustain pet survivability better.

(edited by Sollith.3502)

in Ranger

Anthrage.2519

I’m going to add one to my list, and comment on some suggestions others have made:

6. Modify Ricochet, Axe 1’s Damage Mechanic
Many Ranger skills are too conditional, you only get full value if your pet is alive, or in range, or off it’s cooldowns…in this case, the additional hits from Ricochet only come into play if there are additional targets in range – their presence or position. Only one target, you do not get full value for the skill. These conditional elements of Ranger skills are basically yet another form of RNG.

If I were to change this therefore, I would do something similar to how Longbow 1 works – how damage scales based on distance – except in this case, have it start at a higher damage amount for the first and possibly only hit, and scale downward for each subsequent hit. This has the virtue of also making sense from a physics perspective. :P

So for example…first hit currently does 291 base, with the other 2 being the same. This would be a potential total of 873 total damage assuming the listed 3 axes hit. Even without modifying this overall damage values, you could have the first hit do 500, the second hit do 250 and the third 125 for a total of 870 damage…it’s pretty much perfect.

- – -

One that has surprisingly not said directly in this thread..Pressing F2 should cancel any current action the pet is doing and start casting its skill, the cast time would be fine If pressing F2 allways resulted in the pet trying to cast it skill, whether it misses or get interrupted is fine..

Unfortunately I don’t think this is possible. The main reason F2 does not go off exactly when you use it, is because of the invisible internal cooldown on the other pet skills, which it uses when it feels like it and you have no control over, nor can even seen the cooldown for. Doing what you suggest would basically mean removing this cooldown…and could be compared to removing internal cooldowns on any skill, such as another profession’s skills. I don’t think that would respect balance, as much as I’d like it.

Now, outside of the reason being the pet’s powers are on cooldown, purely having F2 interrupt anything else the pet is doing, including one of it’s other cooldown-triggering skills, before complete and cause the ICD; that I’m fine with.

I think all Rangers would agree that just 2 changes would completely revolutionize the class: 1) Give direct control over all of the pet’s 3 skills 2) Have F2 be reliable via any of the means mentioned above. That would be incredible.

axe as non ranged
Sometimes it’s annoying that a ranger only can use 1 1handed melee weapon. Why is the axe, for god sake, a ranged weapon. of course we can be lucky to have a ranged axe as the only class but something else to change from sword would be nice too.
I have something in mind like the axe#1 of the warrior and for example vulnerability to #2 or #3 because an axe can break even a shield. #4 and #5 of the rangers axe is okay if you close an eye on the not moving of #5 but else it would be op.

I’m going to have to disagree here. While Axe has some issues, I like the fact that it is a ranged weapon – not to mention that it is a 900 unit range weapon that can apply a 3 second Chill -66% movement speed, +66% skill cooldown time debuff, as well as a 10 second Weakness the next time your pet hits. I have big issues with Axe 1 and Axe 2, but Axe 3 and the ranged nature of the axe are in my opinion one of the few good things rangers get away with.

sPvP BuildWvW Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

How about each one of us post a list of 5 basic and reasonable changes and see if ANet notices or likes any of them.

Prepare for crushing disappointment.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Ranger

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Op

I like your Great ideas.

Well Done!

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Reasonable changes to traps:

1) merge both trap traits into the 20 point slot for skirmishing.
2) create a 30 point skirmishing trait that gives allies a benefit from standing in triggered traps. Ex – 1 condi clear/pulse or aegis/regen/prot etc.
OR give traps an aoe aura like a combo field upon activation. Ex – fire aura, frost aura, etc.
3) remove the might from warhorn #5
4) change the 30 point signet trait to also allow the passive effects to remain once the active is used.
5) change evasive purity to cleanse 1 (2?) Conditions on Dodge.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Troopa.6179

2) create a 30 point skirmishing trait that gives allies a benefit from standing in triggered traps. Ex – 1 condi clear/pulse or aegis/regen/prot etc.
OR give traps an aoe aura like a combo field upon activation. Ex – fire aura, frost aura, etc.

That would be too much power for a trap build and traps with a boon… not a good idea either. Therefor we have their combo fields and those can give us auras etc.

That wouldn’t improve anything . give me any reason WHY it should be removed
__

One thing that should be improved are the shouts. I think this would give us another build possibility. Any other classes can use every utility type and build up on it. We can’t because nothing seems to fit with shouts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

That would be too much power for a trap build and traps with a boon… not a good idea either. Therefor we have their combo fields and those can give us auras etc.

That wouldn’t improve anything . give me any reason WHY it should be removed
__

One thing that should be improved are the shouts. I think this would give us another build possibility. Any other classes can use every utility type and build up on it. We can’t because nothing seems to fit with shouts.

My reasoning with the traps is that the 30 points in skirmishing are kept to reduce survivability while adding specific benefits to allies to encourage high skill cap play. Now the Ranger would be better for teamfights and could provide a measure of support without increasing the offensive power of the build.

For the warhorn, the 1 stack of might isn’t enough to provide any real benefit. I’ve never seen someone take warhorn to get 1 stack of might, instead they go for the fury, swiftness, or blast.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Bear on the job.6273

Bear on the job.6273

I have a few suggestions, but I would consider them more as bug fixes than improvements…

1. Remove the cast time on “Guard” – This is the only shout in the game with a cast time, and it’s a full 1 second. It makes no sense why this has a cast time, and was probably an oversight by one of the devs. Should be fixed.
  2. Change the sword mainhand auto-attack completely – This is by far the worst auto-attack sequence of any class in the game. Auto-attacks should NEVER have movement elements to the attacks, because you end up with a mess like this. The movement animations of the 2nd and 3rd combos lock you out of dodges and other instant cast abilities and make it very difficult to react to other players. This whole combo should be scrapped and redone, without the clunky animations and character locking.
  3. Make sword 2-slot (Hornet Sting) instant – Again, another clunky ability for some unknown reason. It’s meant to be an evade move, but the actual evade takes too long to activate. If you see an incoming attack and hit sword 2 to evade, the opponent’s attack will land before your evade actually takes place because of the activation delay.
  4. Make pet F2 skills instant – Another clunky ability fix…Some of the pet activated abilities would be great for extra CC (mainly the canines), but are almost impossible to land because of the delays. We already have a penalty because of concerns with pet positioning, and with the added activation delays, it’s very difficult to land these abilities effectively. Sometimes the canine abilities take up to 2 seconds to activate, where their target has moved completely out of range. Again, just some minor changes to let us actually react and make decisions in a fight, instead of blindly hoping something lands.
  5. Do something about Entangle perma-roots – This is a complaint about fighting against a ranger. Whenever a ranger drops Entangle on me, it’s usually a 90% chance I will die because of it. The way the root re-applies ever second makes it nearly impossible to escape with cleanses. Maybe it’s my bad luck, but when the root is cleansed, I am almost immediately rooted again by the next Entangle pulse. This usually happens multiple times, exhausting all my cleanses and leaving me rooted for 20 seconds to die. Also, it’s prone to root you in mid-air where you lose complete control of our character and just kinda bounce/hover. Instant abilities don’t even work when you are stuck like this, and you just basically wait to die. I also can’t destroy the roots with attacks, because I am always immobilized with the roots slightly behind me. My character can’t turn to attack since I am immobilized, and all my attacks just say “obstructed”.

My main complaints are with sword mainhand. It’s the clunkiest weapon set of any class in the game. Playing sword mainhand feels like you are playing with constant 1-second lag on all of your abilities. It’s very frustrating because it has the potential to be a high skill set, with the active evades. But since they are nearly impossible to use, and the auto-attack locks you out of all other abilities, it’s a liability to use the set in any kind of PVP.

(edited by Bear on the job.6273)

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Do something about Entangle perma-roots –

Entangle is a bad skill. If you get caught in the roots at all, you need to play better.

• The animation is so painfully obvious, the only way it should hit you, is if you have no dodges/evades left.
  • The roots pulse one second of immobilize every second. If you have any condition duration reduction (lemongrass poultry soup/runes of melandru) you can just walk out of the roots between pulses.
  • The roots can be destroyed, and have extremely low health. My ranger can destroy them with a single tap of [Maul].
  • If your class has any teleport skills (5 out of 8 classes can teleport/shadow step) you can just teleport to safety.

I find it difficult to see the credibility in your argument when you’re complaining about a skill that’s borderline useless in skilled PvP, and just barely useful in PvE.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I only have one request.

Give rangers the option to remove pets completely, that’s all i ask for..

in Ranger

Burnfall.9573

I only have one request.

Exactly.

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

I only have one request.

Exactly.

Massive overhaul to make them utility-based, tougher, and have BM investment decrease the CD on their abilities. Then just change the way their skills operate so that they at least attempt to follow their target with offensive skills and don’t attempt to get in range of a foe for defensive skills.

in Ranger

Burnfall.9573

The only mmorp where a “ranger class/prof” pet system are designed to be Matyrs a.k.a suicide bombers, by killing themselves in less than 1-60 seconds.

Seriorusly

They are the best suicide bombers than even the rl life ones; cause they get the job done quicker.

We should be given the option of killing our pets when we they die too much; we just don’t need the burnded of carrying a a dead “companion” around everywhere we go.

Lay the dead kitten to final rest once and for all Arema.net.

Stop the Torture!

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

in Ranger

Troopa.6179

seriously ?!? is that your prefered way?

Giving us a pet through an utility skill isn’t the solution. let it be as it is either.
Every other class has some F-keys skills. What would you put instead of the F-keys?

I would still prefer a better pet skill system instead of putting them to utility skills.
Without this ability the ranger is nothing more than a thief or engineer.

Only because other games have the pets not as A-Net has (I mean the F-keys and utility) does not mean A-Net need to make it equal to other game.
The way ANet thought about putting pets into the game was a great idea but the implementation was clumsy done.

I say: IMPROVE the current pet system with NEW F-KEY SKILL.

in Ranger

Seisyll.5914

Troopa, believe me there are ideas what to put instead of pet system. For example look here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/New-Ranger-Mechanic-Ideas/first#post2800477

As to pet system. This mechanic is broken from the beginning and if you didn’t see we just had one year anniversary. That means for a full year anet didn’t come up with a way to repair pet system. That ship sunk a loong time ago.

80 Ranger | 80 Thief | 80 Ele | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior | 80 Engineer | 80 Necromancer
Piken Square

in Ranger

Troopa.6179

look back to your posted thread.
That’s my opinion on it. Why should we bring up some ideas for something that’ll never be changed?

in Ranger

Seisyll.5914

Why should you whine then? It won’t change anything. I think it’s better to place some constructive ideas than just sit and whine

Piken Square

in Ranger

Burnfall.9573

Why should you whine then? It won’t change anything. I think it’s better to place some constructive ideas than just sit and whine

when did “constructive ideas” ever changed anything for our pitiful class?

Let me ask you this, where are the many great constructive posts and threads in the past concerning changes for our class have gone?

Simple and easy answer..

In the trash can.

I even confronted John peters about it in a “constructed way” and you know what was his answer?

Complete Silence.

So there…………

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

in Ranger

Troopa.6179

is there any possibility to make them listen AND reacting? for example don’t buy from the TP or write them in chats? just wondering if there is ANY possibility or are we just a victim of their arbitrariness?

in Ranger

Seisyll.5914

Maybe let’s start playing without spending points in traits and without using utilities? Oh and i’m gonna put my pet on perma Avoid Combat mode, so it won’t die that much.

I know they don’t listen but I’d rather have false hope than have to reroll. I play other classes, but ranger is the only class giving me fun

Piken Square

in Ranger

Anthrage.2519

I don’t think any of us are overly hopeful about anything positive being done to the class, however it doesn’t hurt to post ideas. Nerfs are as much the response to player feedback as positive changes, and we know those are done.

sPvP BuildWvW Build

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.8367

Ryan.8367

could you do something like making dmg normal for ranger so we get full burst but if we go into BM it lowers our dmg 10% each 10 points we go into the tree? i guess that would open up burst condi builds mroe so than anything and end up becoming insanely op , but just a suggestion

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

Troopa.6179

and what would bring that? i might misunderstand you but this seems like a bad improvement.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.8367

Ryan.8367

power build options, we have none that are viable, this way, since we already have to go 30 deep into WS to get condi removal as it is. we’re not sacrificing additional points that could be put into skirmishing or something like that (30/10/30/0/0 would be optimal or 30/0/30/10/0). instead we can get full dmg and if we want to go BM which is more of a bunker role anyway, you would lose additional direct dmg but have condition dmg upkeep like it is now but lose 30% of your dmg or whatever % based on how far you go into it to even out what your pet is gonna get.

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

(edited by Ryan.8367)