A painful goodbye.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: ThirtyOne.3976

ThirtyOne.3976

I am ThirtyOne, and I am no longer a Ranger.

After almost a year of trying to love this profession; putting up with the horrendous pet A.I., the ever unnecessary balances, incredibly lackluster traits and empty promises, I’ve had enough.

It’s difficult enough to find any one thing the Ranger is solely good at; yes we have versatility but Elementalists can do that better, yes we can evade but a Thief has the edge on us there, we are ‘unparalleled archers’ but the Warrior can easily do greater damage with the Rifle and the Thief’s Shortbow not only out-damages our own, but it’s auto-attack bounces, it has a spammable AoE, a blast finisher, a deployable weakness field, a similar evade skill and a 900 range teleporting shot.

It’s no better with our other weapons; Axe, main hand or offhand is pitiful, the damage output on the main-hand is completely laughable despite the bounce, #2 is only useful in condition builds when you are in the enemies face or against multiple opponents, if thats the case whats the point of having 900 range in a weak hitting cone attack. #3 the only good mainhand axe skill is has a distinctive tell, the offhand #4 is the saving grace, expect with the movement of combat is quite unlikely to get the second hit, which has the pull hard CC and half the potential damage, and #5 roots you in place for 2 seconds and is easily interrupted.

Sword roots you into animations on the auto attack, and occasionally leaps you off of cliffs, the Greatsword does less damage than the Sword yet a Guardian, Warrior or Mesmer gets easily up to 3 times at least the highest potential damage with each of their own Greatswords or even basic swords. The Dagger whilst nothing inherently wrong with it has no redeeming factors to justify the Ranger’s poor main hand options, the Torch is nothing more than a weapon bound Flame Trap and the Warhorn is pale in comparison to the Necromancer or the Warriors, who have better spammable boons, hard CC’s, and a blast finisher.

I won’t even get started in the water.

The utilities are pretty much god awful, whats the point in the shouts if the pet is dead or can’t hit the target? The signets are on much longer cool downs than the equal other profession counterparts, the traps whilst good are pretty much for condition builds only and are easily avoidable, and the Wilderness Survival options either don’t work (Lightning Reflexes doesn’t stunbreak Knock Down) or again on awkward cool downs or limited to different builds. The Spirits still get blown away by the faintest of winds.

The traits are incredibly messy, we often have to have 3 traits to replicate the effect of another professions similar single trait, such as bows range and damage, signets being beneficial to both the user and the pet, the traps needing both the major and grandmaster to be useful in a trait line that offers no bonuses for the build traps are designed for, no matter how you trait the Spirits, they will still wither in the wind, and the pets despite whatever traits near never hit the opponent you leash them on if they simply decide to focus on the ranger, all the opponent needs to do is move and the pet is negated.

Oh and did you know the pets are a walking Cloak and Dagger target for the Thief, the only time they can’t target the pet is when the pet is ‘in recovery’ mode, which is where the pet is even more useless anyhow.

Oh and did I mention all of this is because we have a ‘always present’ pet which is supposed to represent a good portion of our ability and damage?

I have a simple solution, reset the Ranger to how it was in the very early Beta’s, our Greatsword did damage, the Shortbow had the redeeming quality of hitting very fast, Spirits weren’t swept away by a portable face cooling fan, and ultimately, Rangers were happy.

/end rant.

Save my heart tomorrow.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

seriusly i quit playing ranger, Dps sux and we relay so much on our pets, Anet logic? nerf pet to the ground.
1. warriors whit over 3k toughness running around burting people whit riffle and that class is no even a range class, Just now i get one hit for about 11k whit kill shoot, and im Prot Guardian, Protection Up and 3.3k tougness.

2. The Constant exploiting of this stealth mechanic from thief and what is Anet logic? Boots thief and give them more damage mechanic people complaint, Anet logic? do nothing, Thief complaint about RTL ele, Anet logic? nerf ele to the ground.

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Otanikun.8701

Otanikun.8701

I Never complained about ranger, I was always able to find a reasonable build.
But now its time to reroll im afraid, I will wait a few days for the guys that are busy
to find a build that viable, otherwise its goodbye my old friend.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

Anet shows you guys no love. I was under the impression that rangers were kitten before, but after the patch they put a stake in you.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

I actually stopped playing last night. I used to log in everyday for my dailys but now I feel extremely irritated.

Honestly I was so hyped before GW2 launched, thinking “Finally, a true ranger class!”, i used to dream of roaming with my trusty pet that I could name (although we all know not even that has been added after months of the game being out). And when I realized this profession could use greatswords… I was so excited!

Im so disappointed, its inexplicable. The only reason I come back to the forums is to check if one of those balance team guys come by and explain this patch to us.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

Not quitting the game. But I am rerolling. Changes like this sans explanation and no community interaction about it are irritating.

Tarnished Coast

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

I had pretty much the same mindset as Aden when I got gw2.

I want to reroll too, but I don’t know which class to reroll (not enough time for them all)

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: hyjaxxx.1584

hyjaxxx.1584

guys…give it a chance..sit down and do some theory crafting! you can come up with some super exciting stuff! Dont give up !

Whoajaxx the Ranger
Re-Port331,331R,DD331,Re-portV
Currently looking for wvw guild@henge

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

guys…give it a chance..sit down and do some theory crafting! you can come up with some super exciting stuff! Dont give up !

No thank you after more than a half year’s waiting for Pet AI fix and weapon balance.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

LowestTruth.2635

They know what state the class is in, they’ve been talking about it in SotG for long enough. They have a long-range view. Good for them. I’m not going to wait for it to come to fruition without knowing whether or not they have a roadmap. On the one hand, they admit the class is in a poor place, and on the other they make pretty sweeping negative changes without a peep. Trust level negative.

Movin’ on. Still a good game. No personal hate here, just irritation and mild frustration.

Tarnished Coast

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

I am Aeri, and I am a true Ranger.

Good luck with your easy way out.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

I’m in a bad spot, I tried my other characters last night (thief, mes, guard) and all of them were incredibly painful to play…i just like my ranger so much…but it’s hard to play the ranger now as my current build doesn’t feel the same, and changing up new weapons just feels off. I’ve always been a ranged weapon kinda guy instead of melee. This is just depressing. Why’d they have to touch the sb.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

LowestTruth.2635

I am Aeri, and I am a true Ranger.

Good luck with your easy way out.

Thanks for the giggle. I admire your pride in the current class of the current MMO that you are currently playing.

Tarnished Coast

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Aden Celeste.3650

They know what state the class is in, they’ve been talking about it in SotG for long enough. They have a long-range view. Good for them. I’m not going to wait for it to come to fruition without knowing whether or not they have a roadmap. On the one hand, they admit the class is in a poor place, and on the other they make pretty sweeping negative changes without a peep. Trust level negative.

Movin’ on. Still a good game. No personal hate here, just irritation and mild frustration.

Same feeling here, I dont hate the game, it provided many hours of fun and adventure. I love my ranger very much, I dont care what others say regarding that. Some people devote emotional links between the character and the player, while others dont care much for that. Still, I will wait until they respond (IF they ever do) to all our queries, and give us an explanation of the course of the rangers. In the mean time, I’ll take a break and check the forums often.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

There are those who will find fault with everything, Some complain about the pet ai then you kitten that the bm build has been destoried by the patch. Everyone want to play the OP class of the month. Then you are bewildered when you get no respect for playing said class.

There are those of us who truely excel with this class. Then those who complain they can’t do anything with this class.

It is said that it requires 10,000 hour to become an expert in something. While I’m not saying you need to put this much time into gw2. I just wonder how painful it really is to give up the class or the game as a whole.

The difference between those who merely participate in an activity and those that excel at them. Those who excel will always find away to overcome thier problems and weaknesses. The others will just use it as an excuse to quit.

What are rangers good at they are good at filling in the gaps.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raesin.2908

Raesin.2908

Honestly I was so hyped before GW2 launched, thinking “Finally, a true ranger class!”, i used to dream of roaming with my trusty pet that I could name (although we all know not even that has been added after months of the game being out). And when I realized this profession could use greatswords… I was so excited!

You know you can rename your pet right, that was available since beta weekends.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Aden Celeste.3650

You can rename it, but the name wont stay if you change your pet. And if you go back to the renamed pet, its name will be back to juvenile.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

I’m sad for you all, my fellow rangers, for I, Simon, am also sad for myself. -_-\/ Just two days ago, before the patch, I was praised as a hero… a Legend! The ranger named, Simon! Just yesterday, not too aware of the patch’s impact on my ranger, I dueled a necro and loss. I kept swapping my pet (5 in beast mastery) to obtain quickness, which happened to be replaced with some other stupid trait. My pet did no damage to the necro, and just right before I almost killed him, I got killed instead.

In conclusion, I, Simon, hereby that our once strong, powerful ranger community is now disbanded. Farewell brother rangers. I will not be gone for long. I will only come back stronger…. -_- as strong as I can be with this limitation for us Rangers.

Way of the Ranger,

Simon </3

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

I don’t think there is need for that…
I mean, I am really frustrated that one of my favourite weapons got a range nerf and that my pets now do less damage (though I mostly use them for buffs and for keeping me alive while downed), but it’s not like the class is literally unplayable. It is not.
It is infuriating, yes, since the last thing we needed was another nerf. It is really bad for PvE rangers, since nobody wants them running dungeons (we are still ok in pvp and wvw IMO). Believe me, I am really sad and disappointed, but I’ll try to stay positive and wait for something to change for the better. Meanwhile, I’ll keep using alts to run dungeons and I will level my warrior.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Simon.3106

You fool! I was not a BM + shortbow build. I was a longbow sword/dagger build, and I owned every single person 1v1, and i can literally hold off 3 v 1 until reinforcement come. My pet did “Decent” damage. Decent enough to weaken them so I can finish them all off!

SSSIIIMMMOOONNNNN!!!!!

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heiltdo.2891

Heiltdo.2891

Like mentioned before, go ahead take the easy way out.

Maybe perhaps this game isn’t for you. I tought rangers were crap until i dueled one, and had one fight by my side in PvE/PvE. Of course, a good one…

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: ThirtyOne.3976

ThirtyOne.3976

I don’t hate the game in the slightest, this is pretty much the best MMO I have played and no others I might play come out til 2014, and on top of that they aren’t MMORPG’s.

The difference is, I didn’t want the easy way out; I’ve stuck by the Ranger (who is almost fully geared except the backpiece not being ascended) since pretty much the first public beta when I got some proper play time, I’ve been hit by almost every nerf that hit the Ranger since that point and this is the first time it didn’t really affect me aside from improving my effectiveness.

It just feels entirely horrible that every redeeming factor, every useful and unique ability we have gets pretty much unjustly destroyed thanks to fixes, balance and nerfs, and for a extra kick in the teeth we have next to no correspondence with the developers other than SOTG, which even then is sketchy and evasive whenever a issue regarding the Ranger is mentioned.

Underneath all the nerfs, we’ve had incredibly little redemption, we can live under the water but that will be ‘fixed’ at some point, the GS was buffed but pets still fail to hit their target unless they are completely stationary or have their movement impeded, the LB has been cleaned up a little in terms of animations and frames of inactivity, but it’s still awkward damage and requires the cool down and or piercing arrows to become tolerable.

It doesn’t make it any more fun to know that similar Guardian, Engineer and Warrior Bunker builds received no similar nerfs, Elementalist bunkers still persist and are still able to do damage and yet we.. now deal less total damage, it’s not far off the point where we actually do no damage at all.

I want to play the Ranger; I love the unique animations with the Sword and Greatsword, I enjoy the companion being with me, it’s served me well many times, but I want all that in the build diversity that every other profession has, where as we have a grand total of 2 left, and they are both variants of the same premise.

Save my heart tomorrow.

(edited by ThirtyOne.3976)

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Simon.3106

Oh… nevermind. Gabby post below clarified it for me. But just an FYI, a legendary ranger, such as myself, also admit the difficult challenge A-net had placed in front of us. For those who cannot improvise and flow around these obstacles, leave it to the rangers (both in heart and spirit) to do it. -_- But if you truly are a ranger, stand up brothers and sisters, and fight alongside me! We will crumble this limitation that A-net had placed over us! FOR GREAT JUSTICEEEE!! BABYYYYYY

Way of the Ranger

Simon </3

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

(edited by Simon.3106)

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

I’m not sure if Heiltdo post was meant for you, Simon. Maybe he was talking to the OP, like I was.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

Guardian got their much needed buffs /sarcasm so that’s where I will be. In all seriousness, I saw this coming from the leak and play my guardian about 90% of the time I play GW2 now. I’ll still hop on my ranger to gather resources and test troll builds out, but any serious play will be done on my guardian for a while from what I can tell.

I’ve tried to stay with ranger through it all, being a power ranger well before it was accepted for instance, but after the latest patch, I’m just not in a good mood on my ranger anymore. I don’t get that, I’m the underdog but I have the skill to make up for it feeling anymore when I could just hop on my guardian and faceroll people with 3 buttons. The ever increasing effort for the same results just isn’t fun to me anymore.

(edited by Indoles.1467)

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

Still an amazing PvP profession; useless in PvE dungeons.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

I don’t know. Doesn’t seem that much painful anymore to abandon my ranger. If it wasn’t clear before that the devs have no idea what they are doing with ranger, it should be now atleast. Better to let go now than to keep repeatedly disappointed every month.

All is vain.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raesin.2908

Raesin.2908

You can rename it, but the name wont stay if you change your pet. And if you go back to the renamed pet, its name will be back to juvenile.

Nope, just tried it, the name stays to what you renamed it to.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Nope, just tried it, the name stays to what you renamed it to.

No it doesn’t. he doesn’t mean switching pets with f4.

All is vain.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I actually stopped playing last night. I used to log in everyday for my dailys but now I feel extremely irritated.

Im so disappointed, its inexplicable. The only reason I come back to the forums is to check if one of those balance team guys come by and explain this patch to us.

I also stopped playing as well as it became very apparent there were other crutches the Ranger suffered that weren’t even in the patch notes. This is the type of game breaking patch that makes me want to start looking for another game.

I’m sure there are still decent builds to be found with the class, but frankly, they are few and far between. Both the longbow and shortbow seem no longer viable, but not from reasons explained in the patch. Neither of them seem to be able to connect with the target under the 500 range; either the “obstructed” appears or it plain doesn’t register (as if your shooting at nothing). The longbow barrage damage was cut in half, the pets defense seemed to have dropped, and their F2 abilities are even more sluggish than before.

Anet doesn’t wan’t to address it.

So what are our options now? Run around with a GS and a bear?

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Simon.3106

Yes, Aden. The only time it becomes Juvenile “pet” is when you compeltely switch off the pet with some other pet on your pet-list. Hope that makes sense. Your F4 switching pet thing does not reset the name.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: obobo.5326

obobo.5326

I do have a question for you guys: why not just uninstall? I’m not being facetious here: I don’t think that rerolling a different class really sends Anet much of a message at all. Rerolling just seems to tell them that you’re willing to continue play despite not agreeing with their decisions, change-wise.

The only thing that makes these companies pay any attention is when players start to leave. I uninstalled last night; I’m hanging around the forums on the hopes that we’ll get an actual dev to at least EXPLAIN why they thought Rangers were so awesome that they deserved such a nerf. I’ll probably check back next patch, in hopes of good news.

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Aden Celeste.3650

Yes, Aden. The only time it becomes Juvenile “pet” is when you compeltely switch off the pet with some other pet on your pet-list. Hope that makes sense. Your F4 switching pet thing does not reset the name.

Ummm, yes Simon. I already knew that __

By any chance, not to change topic, is your name the same as that Gurren Laggan character?

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Simon.3106

Ranger Obobo! The two hours (or maybe 3) it takes to reinstall it is too hectic! As a master Ranger, I must rebuke and say this is a foolish move. You can definitely leave it on your system without playing it. Unless, of course, you are planning to leave forever, might as well save that 18-20 gb of memories in your system.

But until then, us rangers shall miss you, young Ranger Obobo. /weeps in despair

@Aden
And no, I don’t know Gurren Laggan. -_-\/

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

(edited by Simon.3106)

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Just re-roll. The best part is when your bandwagon profession gets nerfed, you guys get to cry on their forums instead of our’s. :p

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

A painful goodbye.

in Ranger

Simon.3106

Hey Chopps… You’re not even a Ranger. Get lost. =)

Love,

Master Ranger, Simon.
aka Simon the Wise
aka Simon of Many Colors

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon