A suggestion relating to the Pet mechanic(s).

in Ranger

Posted by: Torguish.4786

Torguish.4786

I’ll start off by saying this:

If you are going to rant about how the game doesn’t need it, don’t even bother. These won’t affect your precious game that much, not to mention it will only add a little more challenge, depth and fun into the class. In my opinion that is. And i respect other peoples opinion if they are based on something other than ‘’game does not need.’’ because that is not a reason to throw away a possible idea.

Oh, and thank you if you read through and discuss this with me..

Discuss and give me a good idea why you don’t like it, convince me and i will try to convince you..

OH and this doesn’t mean i don’t like to discuss. I just don’t want someone to start yelling ‘’NO, IT DOESN’T NEED IT’’ right off the bat. Specially if you not a ranger..

1: The ’’Juvenile’’ thing is BORING.

This needs to be taken away. I mean, i find it cool to do something for your pets. There might be pets that you can take with this like the Drakehounds or Owls. But there shouldn’t be a thing called a ‘’JUVENILE JAGUAR’’.

I mean i would like that i taming would be something else than go that that animal and press F. Like get it down to 20% and then tame, it could have this ’’Tired’’ or ’’Subdued’’ effect so you could tame him/her/it.

I mean, everytime i tame an animal it just leaves me with a ‘’meh. jaguar.’’

2: Unique and rare pet skins with rare taming challenges.

Okay, some will come and rant about this but hear me out:
This would add a small ‘’mini-game’’ you could say for us rangers. I love taming pets and fighting along side them and i’d love even more if i could tame some ‘’King Bear’’ type animal or just something with a unique feeling.

These pets could also include some taming ’’challenges’’ like it would run/fly away is dealing with a cat or bird type animal. ‘’King Bear’’ would come out if you tease his cubs etc.

This would add your ranger a sense of purpose and your own little ’’ranger’’ side of the story. Where you could brag how you tamed yourself a spider queen or a huge King-Eagle alone. I mean that ‘’That feeling when i finally got this pet’’. Would be awesome.

These would spawn only at non-overflow servers and would have a longer respawn rate. They could also be found at instances if your lucky but not a necessity..

NOTE: These skins would be completely cosmetic so it would not give other rangers a sudden boost because someone has a better ’’pet’’. Merely cooler and give a more ’’unique’’ feel.

3: Remove the pet list.:

When i stepped into the world of Guild Wars 2 i knew right away i wanted a ranger. But it was a HUGE ’’spoiler’’ to see what kind of pets are available. I mean, i wanted to see all the pets, discover them and search for them. It would have been MUCH more interesting to level up this class while being like ‘’OH SHIZ, I CAN TAME A FRIKKEN ALPINE WOLF!’’

Now i was like ‘’This place snow.. oh look, a Juvenile Wolf. Yay.’’

This was just giving me a list ‘’Oh heres some animals you can tame. Also they don’t resist you, for some unknown reason they just follow you.’’ AND removing any sense of accomplishment when you get yourself a new, trustworthy companion.

This would invite much more people and would keep them hooked for a longer period of time to this class. Sure there will be guides for pets like not but it would still give you a ’’bigger’’ sense of adventure. Specially when combining with these ’’unique’’ taming challenges.

Thanks to those that actually read this and give me critisism with a point and facts. And i hope you can respect my view of the ranger. I still love this class the most but then again, i’ve always been a hunter/ranger person in games like this. (Even in real live :P).

(edited by Torguish.4786)

in Ranger

Posted by: Tadayoshi.2815

Tadayoshi.2815

3: Remove the pet list.:

When i stepped into the world of Guild Wars 2 i knew right away i wanted a ranger. But it was a HUGE ’’spoiler’’ to see what kind of pets are available. I mean, i wanted to see all the pets, discover them and search for them. It would have been MUCH more interesting to level up this class while being like ‘’OH SHIZ, I CAN TAME A FRIKKEN ALPINE WOLF!’’

Now i was like ‘’This place snow.. oh look, a Juvenile Wolf. Yay.’’

This was just giving me a list ‘’Oh heres some animals you can tame. Also they don’t resist you, for some unknown reason they just follow you.’’ AND removing any sense of accomplishment when you get yourself a new, trustworthy companion.

This would invite much more people and would keep them hooked for a longer period of time to this class. Sure there will be guides for pets like not but it would still give you a ’’bigger’’ sense of adventure. Specially when combining with these ’’unique’’ taming challenges.

I agree on that. I could imagine some npcs telling you something about the locations and/or how to tame them. And for the people who get annoyed by things like this, these people would/ and still can / simply google the locations. But for people who like to explore this could add a bit more fun to it

in Ranger

Posted by: Vinhoney.4517

Vinhoney.4517

1. agreed with the juvenile thing. however, the names are probably meant to be customized by players. the problem right now is that the name change doesn’t stick once you “switch” pet.

2. this idea is biased toward ranger. no other profession has its own mini-game/challenge, so it would be unfair if ranger has one. The 20+ pets alone already make ranger extraordinary. As far as I am concern, when Anet spends time on a project, they want most if not all players to have a chance to experience it, not 1/8 or even 3/4, or forcing players to switch profession.

3. This is personal taste. I already knew all the pets 6 months before the game released. I’m going to say that most people want to find their “perfect” pet right away and play with it rather than spend months on the draw of luck with the chance of never finding it because they didn’t explore every square of the world map.

If you have no doubts of your skills, then challenge me for a duel please.

in Ranger

Torguish.4786

1. agreed with the juvenile thing. however, the names are probably meant to be customized by players. the problem right now is that the name change doesn’t stick once you “switch” pet.

2. this idea is biased toward ranger. no other profession has its own mini-game/challenge, so it would be unfair if ranger has one. The 20+ pets alone already make ranger extraordinary. As far as I am concern, when Anet spends time on a project, they want most if not all players to have a chance to experience it, not 1/8 or even 3/4, or forcing players to switch profession.

3. This is personal taste. I already knew all the pets 6 months before the game released. I’m going to say that most people want to find their “perfect” pet right away and play with it rather than spend months on the draw of luck with the chance of never finding it because they didn’t explore every square of the world map.

1: By the ’’Juvenile’’ thing i mean the fact that you press F to tame a wild beast. Even tho being juvenile, it has no depth and it’s pure boring and stupid.

2: You haven’t played much mmorpg’s, have you. Ofc it’s biased towards rangers. It doesn’t make people do anything. These are purely cosmetic, non-related things. Not to mention it gives a sense of relationship to you and your pet. A pet is just an object in this game.

By no means i mean to offend you but what i’m saying The pet system here is a HUGE downgrade from multiple mmorpg’s or rpgs or games that you can just play a pet based hero damnit. I

Not to mention having 20 pets does not make the ranger ’’extraordinary’’. Pets should come with a little challenge. People that play warriors or mages don’t care about these things, at least i wouldn’t. We aren’t dealing with little children ‘’IF THEY GET I WANT TOO’’.

This has been done before and it never broke a game, never made anyone mad or affected ANYTHING. It just gave the game more depth considering THIS specific class. Not to mention if you play gw1 you get a special bird skin in this game, did anyone whine about that? NO!

It wouldn’t make people mad, it would give them a reason to make a hunter. This is why i say a thing like ‘’keeps someone hooked on their ranger for much longer’‘. I’ve seen ‘’i enjoy elementalist or engineer a lot more because of the stale combat style.’’ in these forums AND in-game.

So practically what you are saying is pretty much a broken fact and doesn’t mean anything. Again, no offence.

But understand this; This invites you to play this class. It makes sense that you have to TAME a beast in the wilds or there are individual beasts habiting this world. This doesn’t shut anyone down, merely gives them a bigger reason to try out the ranger. Like i said, you have NO relationship with your pet. No history. Even obtaining normal skills take less than taming a hyena.

Not to mention, rangers/hunters always had their own ’’thing’’ in games with pets. This should be expanded.

3: If you like that people tell you EVERYTHING in advance then yes, you are right. It’s a matter of personal taste.

What do i mean?

Let’s say someone tells you exactly what happens when you make a specific choice in life or in a personal storyline. Not to mention the list doesn’t tell anything about the pets. It ONLY tells you the names and what are they. It’s boring. It tells everything right there. It takes a way a HUGE CHUNK of adventure as a ranger.

Imagine if you’d discover these things yourself or you’d have to actually ’’work’’ a little for you pets. This mechanic also makes the pet system in this game just so damn shallow and numb.

Verdict:

My ideas right here are not make people jelly or give ranger a competitive edge, but rather invite people to try out ranger and keep them hooked with these unique mechanics. Atm people are saying rangers are dull and boring, specially the pet system and are currently switching to elementalists or guardians.

I’m a huge ranger player and even i think this is just pure poop. I want to reroll (and probably will) an elementalist purely because they are more fun. Skills have better and cooler mechanics, more visual effect, RIDE THE LIGHTNING!!.

Don’t take the negative side to this and think of this from my point of view. How would you get your players interested in this class? This doesn’t give any kind of an advantage over other classes. Don’t bash this idea because ‘’people will be mad because they can’t get uber cool pets.‘’ If they want to tame beasts of the wild, play a ranger. It’s that easy.

Atm ranger is the most boring class out of all 8. And that is a fact.

Otherwise, give me an ice bow summoning for my ranger or i quit playing. THINK ABOUT IT! LOGICALLY! (<- joke btw.)

Hopefully you understand and sorry if i offended you, i’m aggressive like this when i debate

in Ranger

Torguish.4786

And about that ‘’pet right away rather than spend months on the draw of luck with the chance never finding it’‘. Then give me my legendary bow. I don’t to farm it for the next 3 months.

Pretty much everything you said there is countrable with guild wars 2 current problems which are bigger. Also i said the unique skins would be COSMETIC. If you want a bear or a cat you get one. Get that unique pet later. Like everyone else. Not to mention if you use only 2 pets in this game you clearly should not be playing this game. In PvE i change constantly depending on what boss or style my pet needs to be.

Eg. Ranged dmg devourers or melee uber dmg birds. You can’t say ‘’but some people like to farm, they want it right away’‘. Then don’t play mmorpgs if you want everything straight up.

Ps. Read through the ranger forums and go to where people suggest these pet things, everyone agrees THAT PLAY RANGERS that these things need to be addressed etc. Some people even say that the ranger is a DEAD profession.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I don’t know… the pet mechanic for the class right now is more frustration than fun. The last thing I’d want is added frustration to get a pet and such. I see no problem with making the method more involved though as the current method is beyond stupid and makes you wonder if they decided to randomly add pets to this class somewhere along the line.

And as long as the games and special privledge pet things are just color swaps to bog standard pets, I don’t mind. Some people don’t want to spend eons getting a pet as the above poster said. People who do shouldn’t be given an unfair advantage. The whole driving force behind this game is cosmetics… may as well make this a cosmetic only thing.

in Ranger

Torguish.4786

I don’t know… the pet mechanic for the class right now is more frustration than fun. The last thing I’d want is added frustration to get a pet and such. I see no problem with making the method more involved though as the current method is beyond stupid and makes you wonder if they decided to randomly add pets to this class somewhere along the line.

And as long as the games and special privledge pet things are just color swaps to bog standard pets, I don’t mind. Some people don’t want to spend eons getting a pet as the above poster said. People who do shouldn’t be given an unfair advantage. The whole driving force behind this game is cosmetics… may as well make this a cosmetic only thing.

‘’I don’t know… the pet mechanic for the class right now is more frustration than fun. The last thing I’d want is added frustration to get a pet and such.’’

Thats what i’m after here.

You see, like i said, i don’t want anyone to have an unfair advantage. I want rangers to be able to have a little ’’challenge’’ of their own. I’m not saying every single pet needs to have a challenge, sure they can keep this current system for some. But i’d like that i’d have to get a polar bear to like 20% hp and then TAME him.

This would be cool.

All i want is special looking pets with some a little more harder to get. I’m not saying the challenge should be mission impossible; TAME ZHAITAN. Rather something like Lure it there, trap him here, tame him like this. This pet mechanic needs to be made fun since ranger is 40% pet 60% himself. And that 40% is boring. I want that fixed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Another issue I have with pets in general is we’re supposed to be rangers where we build a bond with a pet. Perhaps in GW2 lore we’re supposed to build a bond with every animal out there, I don’t know… but you’d think we would be encouraged to use a single and not a whole zoo.

Why not send us out to get the zoo just for the skills and allow us to train those skills to a pet of our choosing so we have a real connection to one in particular. Granted giving your pet Lion swoop may be silly, but /shrug. Could be fun to customize a pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sleepy.2647

Sleepy.2647

Well, the pet list would be as easy as removing the ones you don’t have…BUT in if you go sPvP you can still see all pets so…

in Ranger

Torguish.4786

Well, the pet list would be as easy as removing the ones you don’t have…BUT in if you go sPvP you can still see all pets so…

Aye, that list removing would not affect spvp. Infact, it would work like you stated

in Ranger

Torguish.4786

Another issue I have with pets in general is we’re supposed to be rangers where we build a bond with a pet. Perhaps in GW2 lore we’re supposed to build a bond with every animal out there, I don’t know… but you’d think we would be encouraged to use a single and not a whole zoo.

Why not send us out to get the zoo just for the skills and allow us to train those skills to a pet of our choosing so we have a real connection to one in particular. Granted giving your pet Lion swoop may be silly, but /shrug. Could be fun to customize a pet.

Thats why i suggest a little challenge to each pet. Just a little, i’m not saying you should get your kitten handed to you by a jaguar when you want tame him, no. Merely that he actually attack you and you subdue the beast, then tame.

Unique skins would spawn with like 0,5 – 8 hours depending on the rarity ofc. You go to them, press F, they attack you and boom you have to get them to a love hp or something.

Just adding a small challenge would increase your bond because its an experience only you and that specific pet share. :P Also gives you that sense of purpose as a ranger, tame all the beasts etc. It’s awesome.

in Ranger

Posted by: EvilDeath.6718

EvilDeath.6718

Torguish has some great ideas and I wish A-net would at least respond to them.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raghnal.1256

Raghnal.1256

Supporting your ideas.

That juvenile thing is in fact a little bit lame.
No matter what, you going out into a jungle, finding a wild jaguar that is willing to follow you, just ‘cause you are like “Hey pal…”, is veeery inrealistic (No, I don’t wanna discuss about realism in games)

This 20% thingie would be cool.
Come on, bringing a normal animal (we see them like a dozen times a day) to 20% life, is not that hard. But at least it’s a little cooler than ONLY pressing F, right?
Having rare, unique pets is also a good idea. But they should be available for like… mid equipped casual/little bit more than casual players too.
I mean, that you shouldn’t need a 5 lv 80 Player full exo party to actually tame it.

And the pet list thing… Umm… Good idea. But I must say, that I agree to Sleepy.
I don’t think it’ll work out that way, simply because of SPvP.

So, supporting Torguish.

in Ranger

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

I like these ideas… esp. the special/difficult charms (king bear etc)

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in Ranger

Torguish.4786

Having rare, unique pets is also a good idea. But they should be available for like… mid equipped casual/little bit more than casual players too.
I mean, that you shouldn’t need a 5 lv 80 Player full exo party to actually tame it.

By any mean no.

There would be special tames tho which will require a lot more skill and determination. Casual meaning you have your life with work family etc and not having THAT much time.

Special tames can be acquired by anyone since you just go there and get it. But they are rare spawns. And it’s also only fair that people that play more/do more work in this GAME get that pet first. It’s also logical. But by any means, every special pet is tameable alone and you can get them even if you play casually.

More hardcore players might camp these pets so casual players will get it later then when the boom would calm down.

in Ranger

Torguish.4786

I am just after that you would be more associated with your pet and be able to have a history and a little story.