Action Cam + Sword#1 = Disaster

in Ranger

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

I really really enjoy action cam on melee spec and I have been using it since HoT launch. But now I ‘ve just been on my ranger and the action cam + sword auto is just a total disaster. If I fight targets with big hitbox, it’s quite alright because the reticle still thinks that I’m targeting things so it keeps me in place. But once i got something around me size or smaller, the AA makes my ranger fly all over the place.

Is this gonna be improved or do I have to live with it for the rest of my GW2 life? lol

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

I was actually thinking the same.

Then I got fed up with it and specced back to full melee BM (remorseless). I never used action camera on my ranger since.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Scrimschaw.5784

Scrimschaw.5784

Mainhand sword is definitely awkward and a smidge nauseating with Action Camera, yeah.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

you’ll need some good mouse Handling regardless of what Auto , it just suffers more on the main hand sword but that leap is easy to access using the action cam so its a skill=reward thing not because the sword spams you all over , it only does that because the person using it is spamming.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

you’ll need some good mouse Handling regardless of what Auto , it just suffers more on the main hand sword but that leap is easy to access using the action cam so its a skill=reward thing not because the sword spams you all over , it only does that because the person using it is spamming.

It’s still toxic.
Just like it was before but with action camera even more so. If I wanted the through-combat leaping I simply deselected my target.
Now I leap through combat field even if I sneeze and have a target. Reward is the same. Skill-cap increased by a huge amount needlessly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

I don’t think they care about the sword at all :-) I asked in the action camera Q&A how will this work with the ranger sword & there was no answer .. (most other questions got answered)

in Ranger

Posted by: WyrdenCN.8329

WyrdenCN.8329

In my opinion, the Action Camera actually improves the mobility of the sword, sure it might be a tad bit harder in to use the AC, although as long as you time and aim your attacks correctly the amount of tricks you can pull off are amazing (this is from a pvp/wvw perspective where mobility gets rewarded).

Even if you screw up sometimes, in the end you can say its because you did something wrong. Like, you didnt target properly, thats why you flew past your target.

Hopefully you will notice what you did wrong and will improve for the next time.

It seems to me that every skill which requires the slightest amount of skill or tricks to get the most out of it, that people run to the forums and start to ask for change because they do not want to deal with an intresting mechanic that requires thinking and adjusting from their side. Take the Smokescale as example from the past week, which thankfully got resolved for the better.

That raises a question though, what is the direction we want for the game? That everything will start consisting out of ‘’Smash your buttons and you’ll be allright’’ mechanics?

Now, That’d be toxic. ^^

(edited by WyrdenCN.8329)

in Ranger

Posted by: Jasper Defthand.3018

Jasper Defthand.3018

It’s been widely accepted since release that ranger sword #1 needs retooling, having a leap build into the #1 auto chain results in a very clunky form of gameplay. Yes it is possible to do some interesting things with it with precise timing in ideal situations, however just because its possible to do so doesn’t mean that a skill should reauire use that works around its clunkiness. same with with #2 and #3, the ideas of the skills are great but the overall feel of the animations has always felt clunky and it hasn’t been touched up in 3 years. I have some sick sword skins unlocked on my account, but I never get to put them to use on my ranger main because I refuse to put up with the clunky sword.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

It’s been widely accepted since release that ranger sword #1 needs retooling, having a leap build into the #1 auto chain results in a very clunky form of gameplay. Yes it is possible to do some interesting things with it with precise timing in ideal situations, however just because its possible to do so doesn’t mean that a skill should reauire use that works around its clunkiness. same with with #2 and #3, the ideas of the skills are great but the overall feel of the animations has always felt clunky and it hasn’t been touched up in 3 years. I have some sick sword skins unlocked on my account, but I never get to put them to use on my ranger main because I refuse to put up with the clunky sword.

Although I totally agree that it needs tuning, if you just practice with it, you will get better and then it is pretty nice.
Here’s a playlist of short videos to get you started

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Although I totally agree that it needs tuning, if you just practice with it, you will get better and then it is pretty nice.

But it still could be a lot better… Feeling rewarded for finding a way to play with uncomfortable mechanic that others can achieve with using arrow keys is …
Rewarding. But not really ideal.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kam.8109

Kam.8109

I was hoping the action cam would prompt anet to change the way the sword combo works so you don’t jump around like a fool. For now I use the action cam as a drinking game; when the 1h sword combo causes me to jump off a cliff, I take a drink.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

But it still could be a lot better… Feeling rewarded for finding a way to play with uncomfortable mechanic that others can achieve with using arrow keys is …
Rewarding. But not really ideal.

No doubt bro, we have discussed all the fixes at length, but now I’m just more concerned with getting on with the job of just becoming really really good at using it. I was pretty good before, but there were lots of tricks I didn’t know about so I’ll be practicing a lot with it when I can. I like it mostly, but yeah it needs love.

I was hoping the action cam would prompt anet to change the way the sword combo works so you don’t jump around like a fool. For now I use the action cam as a drinking game; when the 1h sword combo causes me to jump off a cliff, I take a drink.

Prepare for some drunken EoTM! I have a few videos of me launching myself off when tabbing targets there lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZnbfTpDxGw (sry about low quality).

(edited by Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582)

in Ranger

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

yep, i use the action cam and i love it but yea is bad with sword. I have a sword in my bag in case i need it but i equip it to try it and it was awful with the action cam

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Awesome videos, but sadly I’m now waiting for some “fixes” like sword #2 reseting on weapon swap, environmental/transformation → regular skills not counting for remorseless and weapon swap not canceling animations anymore.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I actually love Sword with action camera because I’m able to fly around the battle field like a kittening monkey, that and I have action combat set to toggle, so if I REALLY need to focus fire someone that’s not hard to do

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Yeah, it’s bad. Few will like it, the rest will either use sword with regular cam or keep not using it at all. I now fall into the latter.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.